Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    whistlerxc90whistlerxc90 Member Posts: 2
    I have not experienced any of the problems that you have. (concerns me all the same because I don't like to hear stories about inconsistent quality. It just means something else may go wrong with my vehicle at some point, perhaps when the warranty has expired!)

Your description of "service bulletins" interests me - are all of these "improvements/fixes" supposed to be completed when you take the car in for regular service?

Or, do you have to specifically request that they be completed by the dealer?
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I saw that service bulletin on the parts counter at my dealer 2 weeks ago. He said that I should receive a letter. But I'll certainly ask for it at my first maintenace if i have not received a letter by then.
  • Options
    armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    none of the recent TSB's are "critical" - just fixes like the key ring, hatch strap, software updates, etc and could easily be done during your next service visit. You might want to ask your dealer though.
  • Options
    davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    I am hoping that someone can help me solve a mystery. At the time we
    picked up our U.S.-specification XC90 through the Overseas Delivery
    Program in Gothenburg, we were told that the navigation system would
    function properly with the European mapping DVD inserted, but that we
    could get no voice guidance, and that has in fact been our experience
    until now.

Then suddenly today the system apparently somehow switched over to the
    European software setting. Without having consciously done anything out
    of the ordinary, we started the vehicle, and suddenly the navigation
    system was talking to us for the first time. We did have the vehicle in
    for a software upgrade a couple of weeks ago, but we understood that was
    related to the transmission, and anyway we had not noticed any immediate
    effect on the navigation system from that upgrade.

Some investigation showed that the system was now showing "English" and
    not "US English" as a menu option, with several other European languages
    listed instead of the Latin American Spanish and Canadian French which
    were all that were available before. There were some other small
    changes to the menus, such as a reference to "Facilities" rather than
    "Points of Interest", which I assume simply reflect British as opposed
    to American usage.

The system continued to give spoken guidance, and to display the
    "British" menus, until the first time we turned off the engine. When it
    was turned back on, the system reverted to the "US" software setting and
    menus and the sound was again lost.

So, now we now that - contrary to what we were told and have read online
    - it IS in fact possible for the navigation to function fully and with
    sound - we have seen it working. Had my wife not been with me, I might
    almost think my mind was playing tricks... We just don't understand why
    it spontaneously switched, and therefore don't know how to make that
    switch again.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or does anyone perhaps have an XC90
    electrical service manual handy and can tell me how that regional
    setting is made?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best wishes,

David Thompson
  • Options
    davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    Just out of curiosity, what does the "key ring" fix consist of?
  • Options
    They will install a small "swivel" to the key ring.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I have a "crazy" idea and would like to ask the current XC90 owners, who bought their cars through the OSD.

Is it possible, that the OSD cars are "hand picked" and more thoroughly tested before the delivery?

The current "OSD" owners. Is there somebody who has bought their XC90 through the OSD and really unhappy with it, because it "doomed" with the defects?
  • Options
    manolla1manolla1 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of getting the 5 cyl turbo...they say they get 18/23. What so they really get?? There are buttons that give you an average. Please advise?
    Thanks
  • Options
    uscpsychouscpsycho Member Posts: 17
    Is there anywhere I can find a complete list of TSB's?

I'm taking my XC90 in for its first service tomorrow and want to see if I'm anything applies. Also would like to have some documented evidence of the trip counter resetting problem. The service person I spoke to on the phone had never heard of it.
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    I don't know what others are getting, but we have the 2.5T XC90 AWD and get 18 mpg CTY and 23 mpg HWY.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Aren't any different from the regular cars.
    I am not aware of any "special" testing that Volvo puts those cars through.
    If they do its a waste of time because OSD orders don't get surveyed by Volvo for CSI purposes.

As to the number of unhappy OSD XC90 owners, that I would be interested to know. Although stastically, its a very small sample size.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your description of "service bulletins" interests me - are all of these "improvements/fixes" supposed to be completed when you take the car in for regular service?

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) talks about what the dealer may or may not do about TSBs.

The full text of the Alldata TSBs is sometimes available for free at your local library. We also have a summary list in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Couldn't be happier. Even gave me a more pleasant view of gas prices in the US. Prices will have to get to $4.00/gallon before you hear me complain.
  • Options
    jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I have only had 16.2 MPG in the city. I live in a big city though. I have the 2.5T engine. The mileage on this vehicle is pathetic. This is the one area where I wish I had my Highlander back.
  • Options
    Do not feel so bad. You deviate just 10% from the EPA figure. It's very normal. It could be that the car is not "broken in" yet, or you a bit too heavy on the gas pedal at the acceleration from the full stop. The car is heavy and with 2.5T is, what I would call it, "mellow" during the start-up.

It feels very similar to the S80 2.9, and when I had adjusted my driving style in the middle of my s80 ownership, I have gained 15% on a mileage.

XC90 is a lot of good things, but the hard acceleration...
  • Options
    manolla,
    How many miles are on your car?
    My S60R just hit 4,000 miles and has jumped quite a bit in fuel economy, no change in my driving habits.
  • Options
    I like when people argue the obvious. It has been proven by decades of the different studies all over the world that the aggressive driving style takes a significant toll on the gas consumption as well as on your brake pads.

It is also proven that the impact of the driving habits under equal driving conditions on the gas consumption on average is second only to the design of the car itself.

Paul Getty, who was known as a pretty frugal man, even wrote a book on a subject. I have read about it 30 years ago.

I have experienced a significant improvement in the gas mileage on a car that was well broken in (25-30K miles) when I have "settled down", and was not trying to beat everybody from the stop light.

I could almost guarantee, that if you will let your car to pick-up gradually from the full stop, you will see you at the gas pump much less frequent.

The S60R could be different though, as it is designed for the aggressive driving.
  • Options
    16 MPG is what I get in the city now. 20 MPG on highways and secondary roads. I only have 2,000 miles yet so the mileage should improve.

Guy
  • Options
    I was the lucky one with my S80 (I know, it's the XC90 board, but the gas consumption is a generic subject). Since the very beginning I was getting 18.9 average on a city drive with 18 EPA.

But I do not think that it was improving, as car was broken in. It was well into the second year and 25000 miles, when I started to drive differently, because of some changes in my life. I became calmer and less aggressive behind the wheel, and it's improved the mileage. I am getting 20.6 - 20.9 average on a city driving.

I can not completely dismiss the other factors, but believe that an improvement is due, more likely, to the changes in my driving style than anything else.

I always question the "break-in" factor, because by some sources it takes 5-6K km (3-4K miles) to get used to a new car. So an improvement can be contributed to the fact that someone utilizes the car's characteristics better.

In any case, it's just MHO, but I always advise to take it easy, if you want to have a good gas mileage.
  • Options
    I have the T6 with about 5500 miles on it. We're averaging around 14 in the city. I was able to squeeze 18/gallon out of it on a recent trip to Indianapolis but I think that was due mostly to slip-streaming an AMC Gremlin.
  • Options
    Volvo's always suck the first few thousand miles or so.
    It takes at least 3000 miles for the engine to "break in"
    According to the engineers the R could take as long as 7-10,000 miles to break in.
    I drive the car aggressively, no doubt about it.
    I have recently noted that mileage has improved, even just cruising on the freeway. Before the car would average in the hi 20's now its into the low 30's.
  • Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Sure beats my GMC Envoy. I will be taking delivery of a 2.5T next week and am looking forward to the better mileage (14/18 in the Envoy).
    I understand it uses mid-grade gas.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    Yes, others have reported the voice suddenly coming on with the European DVD. One person noted that this happens only for the first calculated route and then it returns to no voice. In any case it's just one of those strange things that computers do.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Does the voice say "top of the morning, old chap. You want to get on the motorway? Hold on, the boot is open!"

:-)
  • Options
    kimballakimballa Member Posts: 1
    I bought an XC90 in March 2004 and am very happy with it (2.5 AWD). I would like to know whether others have taken their XC90 to the dealer for a service at 3000 miles (oil change mostly), and whether their dealers at time of purchase recommended that they have this 3000 mile service. If you have had this service, how much did it cost, and what was actually done to the car?

I would love to wait for the 7500 mile scheduled maintenance, and avoid an earlier service if it is fine for the car. But if the 3000 service will improve the performance and longevity of the car, then I would of course take it in.

Look forward to your comments.
  • Options
    I stay with the 7500 miles intervals.
    Since I was a kid, I knew that cars are serviced with the 10000 km intervals, which is roughly 6500 miles.

The modern motor oils are so much better than the ones from my past.
    I think, that manufacturer recommended intervals are just fine.

It is the oil refining industry that pushes us to the 3000 miles intervals. I feel that it is total waste of money.
    You draining out perfectly workable oil after 3000 miles.

It would be interesting to hear from the automotive engineers on a subject.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    The vehicles come off the same assembly line, so nothing special for OSD. The factory delivery preparation may be more thorough than your U.S. dealer, depending on the dealer of course. When the vehicle is delivered at OSD you are given time to inspect it and take a test drive on their track, and you can be very picky if you want. You can also point out things when you turn it in if you drove in Europe. Things are probably more likely to get fixed properly on the first try at the factory. The OSD folks seem to take pride in customer satisfaction.
  • Options
    I have a specific question to volvomax.

I am buying the Ruby Red car, my family found that color truly astonishing. However, it is very rear color. We had to make a special arrangement with the dealer (and that is the relatively large dealer in LA area) to let us know when they would have an XC90 in that color available, so we can take a look to it. There was only one car there during the 2-3 months period.

What is that with the Ruby Red? Why it is such a "limited edition" color?
  • Options
    Oh,
    I am pretty sure they come from the same assembly line. But anyone who is involved with the mass production knows, that there are "good" and "bad" days on the assembly lines. For instance, Monday is really bad day, while Wednesday second shift is the best production time. Is it possible, that all the OSD cars are selected from the statistically "better" batches, and do go through some check-up before the delivery?
  • Options
    mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Lev,
    We have the Ruby Red T6 with security package.
    At first, we ordered the Crystal Green and thought that was the best color. We asked the dealer to let us see one when that was available. But we saw one on the street and my wife did not like it at all since it is more like a silver under the sun. She picked the Ruby Red without seeing one (only the brochure). We saw a lots of white, black, silver, then crystal green. So far we only saw three ruby red in the Bay Area, Northern California. And we never found one with security package (clear laminated window) which make the car more unique looking. We think the laminated glass is important since scattered glass is dangerous to our kids. My brother got into an accident and got a deep cut on his hand. Something worth consider especially with kids. And for the interior, aluminum inlay match with the rest of the silver pattern. Needless to say, trust your wife and her instinct.
  • Options
    Actually, I think that you were the one who convinced me to look into the Ruby Red.
    I have not seen one before I've read one of your messages, and then I have asked the dealer to let me know, when the dealer will get one to look at.
    I saw only two or three Ruby Red cars in the LA area and I can not even be sure that it was not the same one.
    I have already ordered the car, so it is late for the Security package, but I will keep your advise in mind for the next car.

In our case, I have trusted your wife, and then my wife has trusted me, but eventually, all our family has concluded that the Ruby Red is an amazing color.
  • Options
    "But anyone who is involved with the mass production knows, that there are "good" and "bad" days on the assembly lines. For instance, Monday is really bad day, while Wednesday second shift is the best production time."

Lev, you came down pretty hard on some people because in your opinion they were not sticking to facts. Can you give us some references in production engineering literature about the above statement? Sorry to say, but that sounds like a "home made fact" or an urban legend to me.

What usually disrupt an assembly line is introduction of new models or options, a change in production rythm, moving personnel to different functions, shortage of parts (that have to be installed in a "rework station"), labor dispute or discontent, etc.

Before you come down on me, let me say that I'm a mechanical engineer working for a commercial vehicle manufacturer so I know a thing or two about production and assembly.

BTW Ruby red is a very nice color. One of my customer showed up in a Ruby red XC 90 the other day and it's really nice.

Guy
  • Options
    Guy,
    I admit. I did not have any recent production statistics in front of me, when I wrote that comment, however, this neither a home made fact nor an urban legend, but my honest contention, based on the previous knowledge.
    I was referring to the effect of alcoholism on the production quality, where as people would "sober-up" from Monday till Wednesday, it will improve the quality, but then distraction from anticipation of the next weekend will effect the quality again. It was a huge factor in Russia and it was a significant factor in Europe. My five minute internet search has produced one result so far:
    http://www.alcoweb.com/english/gen_info/alcohol_health_society/al- - - - co_social_env/socio_prof_env/work/work.html

and I will look for more when time permits.

My comment was related to my Soviet experience with the consumer electronics, semi-conductor chips manufacturing, cars manufacturing, etc., where the "post-weekend" syndrome was very noticeable.

One of the major consumer electronics plant even had a policy of hiring young women over the men for their board assembling line, because women were less prone to the alcoholism.

I have made an assumption that similar problem exist today. I will try to locate some recent references, but, honestly, will be glad if such notion has become an "urban legend".

I am not going to come down on you. You have facts, I have assumptions. My internet search brought up a lot of positive references to the quality improvements in car manufacturing , particularly in GM Canada.
    Is this where you work?

Also, I have found that the effect of alcohol to the work force was drastically reduced lately, especially in the large business.

http://www.iowaagopportunity.org/steps/prodmain.htm.

Once again, my apologies to all the readers if I unintentionally misled you.
    Though, I still have some suspicions, that the "post-weekend" syndrome still exists.

This site supports it inderectly

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa44.htm

I will continue my research and will get back to the issue, when I would have more solid facts.
  • Options
    A few more references

http://www.csus.edu/eapprogr/abuse.pdf

has reference to Monday and Friday as been mostly effected by alcohol

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/drug/impiss- - - .htm

this one says that the assembly line workers are among the mostly effected by the alcohol

Guy,

Is this enough to prove that I did not just made it up?

I have hard time to find the specific references to the car production quality, and, honestly, this subject is not important enough for me to go to the library and do more thorough research.

Can I "honorably" quit this discussion without been too embarrassed?

My best regards,

Lev.
  • Options
    guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Of course substance abuse can disrupt an assembly line. I'm just not sure it's worse Monday's than Wednesday's but anyway you're right lets go back to discuss about the XC90.... Humm not much to say... Reliable, does what is supposed to do... Comfortable, quiet.. Good handling, looks great inside and out... That's it.

Guy
  • Options
    aljalj Member Posts: 11
    I had to respond to this topic. In my younger years 1978, I worked in boat manufacturing factory for a very short period of time before going to college. I saw the assembly workers getting high before work, at breaks, and at lunch. Everything from alcohol, pot, speed to shooting Cocaine. On Friday afternoons, the workers tended to go for the big buzz! Things may have changed since 1978? I think I would be more worried about a Friday car then a Monday car!
  • Options
    Yes, Mondays and Fridays.
    I have been working in places where a good percentage of workers could not even start working till lunch, because of heavy "hang-outs".

Guy,
    I was managing facilities, where the post and pre-weekend syndrome was the official excuse for lost production and lousy quality.

And with that, I stop!
  • Options
    Is rare because it sells in limited quantities in the Southwest and West coast markets.

At the beginning of a model year and usually once or twice during the year the dealers in each market and the Volvo Reps get together to decide each models equipment and color scheme.
    For example, Crystal Green is a big seller in the XC90 so 40% of a given model of XC90 will be Crystal Green.
    Ruby Red may only account for 5% of sales, hence its more limited availablity.
  • Options
    Thanks, Max,
    Have you heard of any specific reasons, why people do not want to buy Ruby Red?

I understand that the dealers are following the demand, and I am curious if you know why demand is small?
  • Options
    Most people just don't like Red Volvo's.
    At least not in the West.
    In the East, dark reds, greys and blacks sell well.
    In the West, sand colors, silvers, beige sells well.

With the XC90 we were lucky in that every dealer had a fairly substantial order list before the car was available so we were able to see what colors were being asked for and what was being shunned. For example, in 1 and 1/2 years we have sold only one Cypress Green XC90.
    We do ok w/ Ruby, but if I have the choice between having a Crystal Green or a Ruby sitting on the lot, I'll take the Crystal.
  • Options
    Thank you, Max,
    Very interesting stats.
    No wonder I liked Ruby Red, I always feel at odds with the majority

:-)
  • Options
    billsmithbillsmith Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon all -

Has anyone received notice of campaign 135 repairs on the 2004 XC90...
  • Options
    Got mine yesterday.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity
    What is this campaign?
  • Options
    xc90t6bobxc90t6bob Member Posts: 1
    I have heard that some cars have been held for two weeks for repairs under this 'campaign'. Do not know how accurate this info is.
  • Options
    Depending on the production date of the car one is looking at up to 9 updates which MAY include.
     - Change in the airpipe
     - Fuse for Headlights
     - Swivel on the Remote Control
     - Change in one of the floor vents
     - Tailgate Latch
  • Options
    Thanks,
    Since I am getting my car in late June, I will assume that all of this should be fixed on mine.
  • Options
    armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    I have posted the some of the information on the "problems" group. Some of the items were already completed on my car during earlier service visits (such as the headlight washer fix). OT- It's good to see that one of those who seems to berate the most on this forum may actually become an XC-90 owner.
  • Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    My dealer recommends mid-grade 89 octane fuel. The manual recommends premium (91). Any advice. I have the 2.5T. Just got it.
    Thanks