Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
Just wanted to get this link started as I need all info on new 2003 Lincoln Aviator. After 4 Explorers, 1 Expedition with a May, 2002 lease expiration, I am in the market for the new Lincoln SUV.

I am the owner of a 2001 Lincon LS8 Sport which is the best car I have owned (including Mercedes and Audi) I had the privilege to tour the Wixom assembly plant with the LLSOC Club in October and the reduced line speed resulting in quality of assembly has convinced me to seriously consider the Aviator.

News known so far: DOHC V-8 (4.6?), all wheel drive available, first public showing at New York Auto Show in March. I am interested in knowing any upgraded options available at introduction. I know price will be announced later, but believe it will be competitive with Explorer Limited with perhaps Aviator-unique doo-dads.

Is anybody else interested?

Comments

• smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    I have been scouring the web for Aviator pics/info with not much luck. I have enjoyed my 2000 LS 8 very much, but with child #3 due May 2002, an SUV is on my list.

Although the LS has not been perfect(both rear windows/mech replaced) over all it has been an awesome ride.

A recent issue of Car and Driver magazine had a disguised photo of the Aviator, and they also reported the DOHC 4.6 engine as an option(Cobra engine or Lincoln Continental?)

The most impressive thing about owning a Lincoln for me has been the dealer service. Loaner/rentals have been provided for EVERY oil change and warranty service, if given an opportunity I would give Holman L-M in Pembroke Pines, FL a perfect CSI.

Keep up the good work Jerry.

Sam
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    of the Explorer/Mountaineer, or has it been outfitted with additional equipment (and cost?)...there was some thinking earlier that Mercury may "lose" the Mountaineer and it may be "reborn" as a baby Navigator, name unknown...
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Yes marsha, the Aviator is basically an Explorer/Mountaineer. Like the Mountaineer, which has a standard V-8 (thus more standard power than Explorer), the Aviator will probably be more powerful.

I guess the people at Ford realized that if GM's GMC division could sell a Yukon that's the same as a Chevy Tahoe but with more power, while still getting people to buy a Cadillac Escalade (which is also a Tahoe in underneath- but much more powerful), then it would be smart to do the same with the Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator.
  • acuramdxacuramdx Member Posts: 1
    With the Navigator all that lincoln did to it was slightly adjust the styling, raise the power and make the interior much nicer. The explorer/mountaneer and such good selling cars and they have top of the line production facilities for both of them. With those facts I would say that it will definately be based upon the explorer/mountaneer. I think that it will be a mountaneer with less radical styling and a nicer interior.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    The Mountaineer has a V6 standard. The original Mountaineer had a V8 as standard, but it has since been available with V6.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    I would expect the Aviator to be to the Explorer what the Navigator is to the Expedition. The Navigator has an exclusive engine and more high-end interior appointments not available on the Expedition. The Aviator is supposed to have a 32V, 4 cam V-8 and an "indulgent" interior.

I doubt if the Aviator will have much of an affect on the Mountaineer since it will no doubt sell for much more and appeal to a different demographic.

The 2002 Mountaineer by the way appears to be selling extremely well with November sales up 89% over last year.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "The 2002 Mountaineer by the way appears to be selling extremely well with November sales up 89% over last year."

As it should! It's actually quite a good looking vehicle, but so is the new Explorer. And with seating for 7 (standard), it appeals to a lot of people.

greg- thanks for the clarification. But why did they do it?
    nice if the Explorer/Moun/Aviator offered a floor shifter as an option, rather than just a column shift...Sable/Taurus offers both, why not the SUVs...and I happen to enjoy floor shifters...
    I think Lincoln is listening to you Marsha7, I just happened to be flipping thru Popular Mechanics today and it mentioned that the Aviator may have a floor mounted shifter,......and a different instrument panel then the Explorer, and of course the 32V V8.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    The exterior styling of the new Aviator is going to be very similiar to the Lincoln LS front morphed on a SUV. Same looking headlights with that clear glass and dark painted headlights.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have seen the Aviator. not lucky enought to drive it.

the interior is very high tech looking...lots of brushed alum and a floor shifter...it is very impressive and clearly not like an explorer.
    The exterior clearly has Explorer/mountaneer lines but different enough to stand out...

I will try to upload the pics I expect to get in a few days.

Rich
    Hopefully some interior shots will be available.. I have altered my opinion of my friend's explorer, when I rode in his new 2002 after he traded in his 1998...the 2002 rides like a dream, which shocked me...however, being anal like I am, I am not a fan of columns, I really like floor shifters, like in my Sable...a floor shifter in an "explorer" would be an improvement...any idea which engine the Aviator will have???
    The Aviator is expected to have a floor shift..The unit I saw had one. The engine is the 4.6 V8. I have not heard the Horsepower numbers yet. I'll keep you posted.

I agree that the 2002 Explorer/Mountaneer is a huge improvement over last year. I can't think of any SUV that is nicer to drive than the V8 Mountaneer...I hope the Aviator even takes this to the next level..

Rich
    Everything I have read about the Aviator says the engine will be the the 4 Cam, 32 Valve 4.6L V-8, not the regular 4.6L from the Explorer.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    Rich, I d be interested in seeing any pictures available on the Aviator. Did you see a Navigation screen? As you said there was a lot of
    brushed aluminum,it leads me to believe that there was no wood trim fake or real in the interior. Any more information would be appreciated.

mike
    what does that 4.6L dual cam engine put out now, in HP and torque...which vehicles currently have that engine???
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    marsha7,

The 32V 4.6L has been used in several Ford/Lincoln cars: SVT Mustang, 305-320HP, Continental, 265-280HP, and Mark VIII, 290-300HP. A very good car engine. Aviator will be its first application in a truck. I would expect it to deliver more than 270HP (GM's 4.2L I6 of the Blazer), but less than 300HP, (making it lower than the 320HP of Navigator's 5.4L V8). As of Torque, I am guessing it will be close to 300 lbft, if not over. If these figures are true, it will be a class leading engine for sure. Otherwise, there is just no point to put it in the Aviator at all, IMHO.
    I agree with Hairong's assessment of the 32v 4.6L.

Since this will be a SUV application of the 4.6L, I expect the engineers will trade some peak HP for a flatter torque curve for better towing capabilities, etc.

So if I had to guess I would say that the HP will be around the 280-290 range and torque around 300 lb-ft. The engine could easily do more than that (like in the Cobra) but I think they will tune the engine for peak power at lower RPMs, something more suitable for an SUV.

I wonder if the engine will be teamed with the 5 speed automatic. That engine with a 5 speed auto would be quite a combination.
    As a side note,

BMW X5 4.4's engine is rated as 282 HP & 324 lb-ft
    Mecedes ML430's is rated as 268 HP & 288 lb-ft

I think these are on par with what Aviator will be offering. But these two are selling around $45k, I don't know if Aviator will compete with them directly.

From what I've heard so far, everyone is saying, including PAG chief Dr. Reitzle, that the Aviator has a fantastic modern interior. I just hope its exterior styling is as good, and different from Explorer and Moutaineer.
    The Wall Street Journal had an article on luxury SUVs 3 weeks ago. In that article an auto analyst was quoted as saying the new '03 Navigator has the best designed and highest quality interior of any vehicle in North America. Sounds like the Aviator will also have an impressive interior.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    A clear pic of the front view of the Aviator is posted in Feb. issue of Car and Driver. Looks very similar to the Navigator.
    I noticed the '03 Navigator has moved the shift lever to the center console. Popular Mechanics said the Aviator will also have a floor shifter.

Here is a link to info on the new ;03 Navigator. It might offer some clues to what the Aviator will be like.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=559&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=93

a few pictures of the aviator next week to upload...exterior shot and interior photo.
    my Lincoln/Merc rep is on vacation and she has the pics.

Rich
    cant wait to see some pics of the aviator..thanks guys
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Unless you are the copyright owner, please just link to photos. That helps keep Town Hall out of trouble. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The latest Job 1 info on the Aviator...

June 3 2002 the first production unit rolls off the line...Expect a 30-45 day quality hold before shipping to dealers.

The interior photo's I have did not come out well...but those of you who have seen pics of the 2003 Navigator interior will find the Aviator very very similar!!

Rich
    thanks for the information about the aviator

does anyone know if dvd and/or naviagtion will be offered?
    Thanks Rich,

I looked at pictures of the 2003 navigator at velocityjrnl.com and got a great idea of what you meant..
    Found some info on Aviator:

Engine: 32v V8, 300HP/300l.f
    Tranny: 5 spd. auto
    Tire: 17" std
    Axle Ratio: 3.73
    Average MPG: ~18MPG

Still no picture yet.
    you for got to list the price: $23,475 :):):)
    You (I) wish. That would be the price for a bare bone 2wd v6 Explorer.

OTOH, what you said might be pretty close to ford's real cost on this SUV. Think about it, they will make around 10k profit on every single one of this baby.
    HID lights and running boards are std.
    Tow cap. 3500lb/7500lb(o)
    Side curtain air bags std.
    EPA rating ULEV
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Lincoln is keeping very quiet about details of "03 Aviator. I have tried numerous sources, but little information. I was told at Chicago Auto Show that Lincoln was attempting to keep the price below $40,000. I assume that most options will be included for that price.

I am particularly interested if Control-trac, Navigation System and 3 row seating will be available at Job 1.

Guess we may have to wait until debut at New York Auto Show in March.
    Control-trac, yes, as AWD (if you meant Advance-trac, it's la)

Navigation System, la, optional

and 3 row seating, yes, std

I was told the config. is very much like the Navigator, (base, premium) x (4x2, awd).
  • wilsonze1wilsonze1 Member Posts: 8
    I have had two 2002 Mountaineer's and both have had read vibrations from the drive train and major shifting issues. The VP and the dealership agree there is an issue for he has one as well but currently Ford says tuff luck. The dealer has mine now for the fourth time and can not do anything but pull a transmission of the new car assembly line and it may get here next week? This trip of repeated suspension squeaks and transmission will have taken over three weeks if I get back next week. Quality, Service not Ford Corp policy. The marketing and sales VP at the dealership said that Ford does not care about me as one customer and will say I am to demanding and the transmission works fine. I have had four explorers and gave another to my son and they did not shift like this. The new transmission is cheaper thus as a customer we get it.
    I suggest looking at anything but Ford products and I have spent close to 3/4 of million on them over the years.
    We are not seeing the same tranny issues at either our Ford or Mercury stores. So far the 2002 Explorer/Mountaneer have been much much better than the previous years.
    Sounds like your dealership can't or isnt getting the help from Ford they should...Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
    The awards that the new Explorer keeps getting bodes well for the Aviator.

First it was ranked highest by Consumer Reports,

then Best Family SUV by MotorWeek:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11066

now best winter vehicle (I guess there is an award for everything)

http://media.ford.com/products/press_article_display.cfm?article_id=11088&vehicle_id=239&make_id=0

Just got back from the L/M dealer meeting in Las Vegas. Saw the Aviator, new T/C and gran maquis, Navigator and Marauder.

They banned cameras. I had my digital ready to go and had to check it at the door.

But, I do have the ordering guide which lists standard and optional features and colors.
    here are some of the basics.

The design theme was..Expressive, Sophisticated and athletic.

New lincoln signature interior
    satin nickle accents
    genuine wood inserts
    floor shift console
    electro-flourescent instrument cluster
    analog center mounted clock
    adjustable pedals, mirrors, driver seat memory
    auxiliary climate control
    third row seating..folds up flat into floor
    2/2/2 six pass seating
    quad hologen headlamps
    17'' wheels w/michelin tires
    fog lamps
    rear park assist
    safety canopy for row 1 and 2 side curtain airbags
    4.6 V8 4valve DOHC
    ULEV emissions
    power assist quick responce steering
    sport tuned suspension

Major options

rear entertainment w/7'' drop down screen
    w/ dvd, remote and wireless headphones
    telematics
    climate controlled seats
    dvd navigation system
    tire pressure sensors

Gold ash, Ceramic tri-coat white, silver birch, med. wedgewood, aspen green, mineral grey, black

light parchment and medium ash interior choices.

2 and AWD configurations. available in two trim levels. Luxury and Premium. Premium has a higher level of standard equip...with many items not available on Lux model at any cost.

Rich
    Great to have someone on the inside!

Did they say when it will be available?
    audia8q, come on. You said you can't take pictures, can't you even tell how it looks? Like the Nav? or the Exp. or unlike anything else? Thanks.
  • avlvavlv Member Posts: 26
    Any info on pricing yet?
    Thanks for the info I have been waiting on. Do you know of a web link to the ordering guide?
    I expect prices will be released at inaugural preview at New York Auto Show in late March.

Some of the New Features/Upgrades from Explorer/Mountineer:

3 years or 36,000 mile Complementary Maintenance
    Floor shift console
    Rear park assist standard
    Telematics (late availability)
    DVD Navigation system (late availability)
    Rear seat entertainment system DVD
    Tire Pressure Sensor System
    Advance trac (late availability)
    Liftgate power release button
    Side curtain airbags
    HID headlamps

There are 4 models: 4x2 Luxury and Premium and 4x4 Luxury and Premium

No horsepower ratings yet, but similar engine in Continental makes 275.

No pictures yet, but similar to Navigator in styling.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    HID headlamps are standard on the Premium model, but they're apparently not available on the Luxury model; regular halogens are standard on the Luxury model.

The tire pressure sensor system is also listed as "late availability".
    Features unique to the aviator:

300 HP DOHC engine
    Lincoln exterior/interior
    3 years or 36,000 mile Complementary Maintenance
    Floor shift console
    Telematics (late availability) (what is this, something like the OnStar sys on Caddy?)
    DVD Navigation system (late availability)
    Liftgate power release button
    HID headlamps
    Consealed antanna
    17" wheels (?)

Other features (below) are/will be available to Exp. and Neer. this year.

> Rear park assist standard (a fancy name for the reverse sensing sys)
    > Rear seat entertainment system DVD
    > Tire Pressure Sensor System
    > Advance trac (late availability)
    > Side curtain airbags

> There are 4 models: 4x2 Luxury and Premium and 4x4 Luxury and Premium

I heard it's either 4x2 or AWD, no 4x4.
    Add 2-2-2 seating with 2nd row console to the Aviator specific list.
    The middle-row buckets and console can be replaced by an optional 20/40/20 split bench seat w/leather and a 3-point center restraint.
    This week's Automotive News reports that Bill Ford announced at Dealers Conference that 2003 Aviators will be avaiable at dealers this July.

AN also reports that side curtain airbags were delayed due to testing on the 2002 Explorer and are now scheduled to be available on Explorers in April. This may have had some impact on the Aviator introduction date due to FOMOCO's emphasis on eliminating problems on new introductions and the fact that side curtain airbags are standard on all Aviators.

I assume the 2-2-2 seating will be 6 bucket seats.
    The third-row seat is a leather-covered bench, but it's a 2-person bench, probably due to space constraints. It folds flat & stows in the floor.