Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Custom Ordering Your New Car

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    getting the right dealer is key. Any time I've mentioned special ordering the dealers get twitchy. I don't know if they run into too many people that back out of the deal or if turnover happens so fast that the salesman figures he won't be there when the commission finally happens
  • iloveyogapantsiloveyogapants Member Posts: 20
    YAAAWWWNNN!!! Day after Day of posts on minivans CUV's and ford E-150 boxes. Wheres the interesting reviews??? Insideline has turned into Edmunds.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    When I was buying a new car last year, I found that dealers would quote me on the particular vehicle I wanted, whether they had one on their lot or not. This confused me a couple times because when I'd request a test drive the response would be that they don't have the car but they could locate it. I didn't get the impression they were being shady about it, more like just trying to be the first to offer me a deal on the car I wanted. I imagine the same sort of quoting imaginary cars would apply to a custom order.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    Dealers get twitchy because they'd much rather move the inventory they are paying carrying costs for. They have a much greater incentive to sell a car they have on hand to a real buying customer.

I've ordered one car, and it was OK. Got exactly what I wanted, but had to wait about 6 weeks. I attempted to order another one years later, but the dealer did a search and found exactly what I wanted at another dealership a few hundred miles away. They trucked the car in 3 days later and off I drove.
  • kellermkellerm Member Posts: 2
    "One of the harshest realities of the car buying process is the disappointment you feel when you realize that the car you had your heart set on cannot be found on any dealer's lot. It doesn't have to be like this."

You bet it doesn't. Axe the protectionist auto franchise laws so we can have true competition and innovation in this market. I can order a $11,000 natural gas boiler for my house with two clicks on Amazon Prime, but I can't buy a car the same way? Please don't give up , Mr. Musk, this needs to change.

Within the current (horrible, inefficient, antiquated) system, my best advice is to skip dealer trades, find the dealer that does have the car you are interested in, and just go there and buy it. There are plenty of tools available to locate what you want. As soon as a dealer does a trade for you, he is less willing to negotiate, and you may be on the hook for a deposit. Better, get an out the door price (including tax and fees .. which you should also negotiate down) via email before you walk in, and walk right back out if they can't deliver that.
  • martinhilemartinhile Member Posts: 1
    Because dealers want to move inventory on the lot before accepting an order, the best way to approach this as a consumer is influencing the dealership to offer to place an order rather than asking to place an order. Do your planning of the model and options you want from the manufacturer web site "build" feature. Print the build sheet, calculate what you should pay, and setup a test drive. After the test drive, tell the sales person your timeframe is about 6-8 weeks before you purchase and that you are currently shopping models and features. Mention that you know what you want and mention competing brands and models. Often, the sales person will try to lure you to buy "today" with an order that will arrive in about... 8 weeks. If the dealer has a slot and the salesman wants the sale, you'll get an offer to place an order without asking and without the "twitchy" attitude. Its about social engineering and getting the dealership to do what you want. Make the sales person "chase" the sale.
  • VathekVathek Member Posts: 1
    If I want one of the lower trims, say the cheapest one with automatic transmission, and the color I want is only listed for other trims, is it possible to get the the color I want for the trim I want?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Vathek said:

If I want one of the lower trims, say the cheapest one with automatic transmission, and the color I want is only listed for other trims, is it possible to get the the color I want for the trim I want?

Probably not

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ShontiaShontia Member Posts: 1
    Ordering a vehicle is not as easy as displayed. Special computer features stops the quick process. We have longer wait times than normal for additional or rarities.
  • Pat005Pat005 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a Kia Telluride SX in Everlasting Silver with Butterscotch seats in May 2021 as shown on the Kia build your own website. The dealer told me Kia was no longer offering anything but Black for that exterior color. Can Kia change available options in the middle of the year even when with website still offers it? I did not want black interior so I was very disappointed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Pat005 said:

I just ordered a Kia Telluride SX in Everlasting Silver with Butterscotch seats in May 2021 as shown on the Kia build your own website. The dealer told me Kia was no longer offering anything but Black for that exterior color. Can Kia change available options in the middle of the year even when with website still offers it? I did not want black interior so I was very disappointed.

I guess they can do whatever they want (or have) to do. Your option is to turn down the vehicle, if it's not what you want.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator