Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    LOL. As soon as I can get my job situation in order, I'm going to buy an Aerio SX, thus the reason for me being here :) Although, I just spent $2500 on new furniture (it was long overdue, believe me; I'm so sick of the junk hand-me-down furniture I have had for the last 5 years) so that may push my purchase back a few months. Ugghh, always something to spend your money on. Have you decided what you are going to do with the Jetta yet? It's horror stories like yours that has pushed me away from buying a new VW, even though my 84 Rabbit GTI has been extremely reliable and faithful the past 7 years.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Well, it's been almost 3 weeks now, 1300 kilometers, one camping trip....here's my take so far...
    Great value for the $$$, styling is growing on me more and more each day......fairly comfortable but does tend to bob up & down at times, gas mileage so-so but should improve over time, relatively quiet with the exception of a very boomy exhaust note around 1200 rpm....very loud upon start-up in the garage or when coasting to a stop when the revs go through that range....anybody else experience this? Needs more storage in dash for sunglasses, cell phones etc. and parcel shelf/luggage cover should be about 3" higher, or multi-adjustable as in the PT Cruiser but otherwise, interior is spacious, comfortable & well-thought-out. Engine has good power, even with a full load (although we haven't really pushed it yet). Some lean in corners, but that's to be expected in a tall vehicle....perhaps Suzuki could widen the track an inch or two. Well-screwed together, no shakes or rattles...front cup holders don't grip 500ml water bottles well enough. Noticing a slight pull to the right...need to find a nice level road or parking lot to investigate further...have evened-up the tire inflations so could just be the slope of the road but always seem to be driving with the steering wheel cranked slightly to the left.Other than that, 1300 flawless kilomters and counting.A/C performed well during our heat-wave last week. Look forward to driving it every chance I get. Anybody else have any likes, dislikes, issues? Frenchcar....you must have racked up a few miles by now? Anyway, overall, we're very happy with our purchase and it's performance so far.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Actually, the only problem I have had with my car was a persistent rattle, and that was because the mechanic was a dummy. Everything else is great about the car, and I don't regret getting it when I get behind the wheel of it. :)
  • Options
    frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    We have 2500 miles on ours now which includes a couple of trips. The temperature here in Tucson has been over 105 to 109 for 3 weeks and the oil was beginning to thicken up and the gas mileage was going down. Switched to Mobil One synthetic 10W30 at 1800 miles and that solved the problem and it runs better and the gas mileage came back up. If I lived in a cooler climate I would have gotten the 5 W 30 as that is thiner and slipperyer and gives better gas mileage but is just as strong. The film strength is 7 times that of conventional oil and it pours at 40 below and is good to 400 degrees or more while conventional oil will thicken rapidly from 250 to 300 degrees max capability. I have used it for 25 years. With the A/C on all the time my gas mileage is 1 mpg less than it is rated at. We drive pretty hard. Love this car more each week. The dash cover solved the windshield glare, the strange cling noise in the exhaust disappeared and the dark tint keeps a lot of heat out. It sits good, has great vision, comfortable on trips, is very zippy and very good load space. Great value for the money. I did get in touch with Suzuki Public Relations and told them to put a cheap insulator on the black hood prop rod as it gets red hot and told them to make the rubber dead pedal foot rest a couple inches longer so my heel doesnt wear out the carpet. Also suggested a stiffer front sway bar as twice mine has blown around badly in a very stiff cross wind. I am still experimenting with tire pressure as they are somewhat sensitive to road irregularities and uneven pressures. I find the arm rests to be hard on my elbow so I told them to pad them and I made pads for mine out of gray felt squares that I folded up and pinned on. They thanked me for the imput. Still dont see many around town but that is fine with me and Im glad I passed up the Matrix for many reasons. I just subscribed to Import Tuner Magazine so I can follow their upcoming articles on speed equipment they plan to add to theirs. Checked out Suzuki Sport USA web site from Portland, Oregon. They are not the same as Suzuki Sport (Japan) but they have all kinds of hop up equipment available for the SX but at a price. I think the AWD models thiss fall will really pick sales up in snow country states. I was along side a Jaguar recently and he took off very fast from every red light. At the next light I floored it and left him with a shocked look on his face. Have to keep my eye on that big speedometer. No defects or problems so far and dont really expect any. My wifes brother just bought a PT Cruiser but it was a lot more money, is the same size, is slower and gets lousy gas mileage. I like mine better. We have a pure white one with dark tint that we think looks good and if we put a laege red cross on each front door it would look like a Swiss ambulance. My wife has it most of the time now so I am back to the old SAAB 900 most of the time which isnt all bad. I saw a fully loaded one with all kinds of dealer installed options but we didnt really care that much for most of them and they were overpriced. Everybody enjoy yours.
  • Options
    You say the rear seat back is too upright to be comfortable. Read the instructions in the owners manual as there are at least 3 positions for the seatback and it works really well. Suzuki has had that for years and some Mitsubishi vans did too. My mystery noise that was a clang, knack, knock, ping sound went away after 3 or 4 weeks as everything settled in. I could have sworn it was up front but I traced it to the rear and it was in the exhaust system. Another person had his exhaust system fixed by a dealer and some claim there is a defect in the wheel spindle but my dealer has not heard of it or any Suzuki "Technical Service Bulletin" on it. What parts did they order?? Im curious. I guess not everyone has that problem?
  • Options
    marco18marco18 Member Posts: 26
    Guys,
    On Monday I arrived to my car after fininshing my day at work and discovered a scratch that ran from the tail light all the way to head light. I guess some people just don't have anything better to do than go around keying other people's cars. I could not stand driving around like that. I have not even sent in my first payment yet!! Well, I dropped it off at a shop today to get the thing repainted. Told me it would be ready by tomorrow. Just wanted to share and vent some frustration.
  • Options
    tessktessk Member Posts: 10
    I'm seriously thinking about getting Aerio SX but I haven't been able to find one that's equipped with ABS. A dealer even told me that there's only one available in the US. At first, I thought that's just his way to get rid off the one he has. Now, I'm starting to wonder. Does any of you have an Aerio SX with ABS? Did you have any problem getting it? I live in Los Angeles area. You would think that some dealers ought to have them.
    I'm sorry to hear about your car, marco. Some people just can't see other people having fun.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Sorry to hear about your car, hope that guy gets hit by a truck.
  • Options
    Know the feeling re: the keying......my '91 Civic Si was keyed, as was our '93 Sidekick (in our Church parking lot, no less!)Hoping that our Aerio won't suffer the same fate.
    Yetiwisdom......Frenchcar is right, rear seats can be adjusted 2 or 3 notches
    Tessk....all Aerio SX hatches/wagons in Canada have ABS as standard so no problem getting them here at all......American Suzuki should make it standard in the US as well.
    Anybody washed/waxed theirs yet? The washing is fine, but there seem to be a lot of places that collect water (around the bumpers/grill/ground effects especially) so a thourough drying in order to apply wax is a bit tedious.
    Wish I could unscrew and raise the cargo cover myself but the side supports seem to fit into notches in the side panels so don't think its possible but Suzuki, are you listening?....the
    cover could be raised a good three inches without blocking the rear or side windows at all....don't know why you put it so low.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you tried searching for one through Edmunds' PowerShopper? Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    ABS in the USA for an Aerio is getting hard to come by as Suzuki didnt bring in enough of them to meet demand but I understand that will be corrected for 2003. I didnt know they are standard in Canada but perhaps that makes sense since ABS is so great on snow and ice. We had ABS on both of our cars when we lived in Colorado snow country and it was great if you know how to use it properly. At first the Insurance Companies were giving big discounts but many have lowered that somewhat since it has not cut down on accidents as much as they thought it would as most people still brake the same way in panic situations as they used to. We got our Aerio SX without ABS now that we live in Arizona and are not sorry. They are great in that rare panic stop but unless you brake hard most of the time they dont activate at all. Some people go for years and never feel or hear them pulsate as they brake softly or pump their brakes the old way. It is common for the wheel sensors to eventually gum up or corrode if not activated now and then. When one sensor fails the ABS dash warning light comes on and the system no longer operates until fixed. Sometimes there is computer failure. It can get costly. I like the feel of my non ABS brakes just fine. I guess it is a matter of personal choice. I suspect Suzuki didnt make them standard here to be more competitive cost wise. If you brake real hard everytime to activate them (like my son-in-law does with his SAAB Viggen turbo) you will end up going through a lot of brake jobs. To each his own.
  • Options
    vernongrayvernongray Member Posts: 6
    HAVE HAD AERIO SX FOR APPROX 3 WEEKS. SO FAR THE ROUND CLIP THAT HIDES THE BOLT FOR THE REAR WING HAS FALLEN OFF AND ALSO ON THE BACK BUMPER LEFT HAND SIDE A PIECE HAS FALLEN OFF. I HAVEN'T BACKED INTO ANYTHING. OTHER THAN THAT THE CAR HAS BEEN GREAT. WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of support muffin man and artdecho. I am glad to report that I had the scratch removed. The car is back to "normal". Unfortunately, my wallet is now a little lighter. Vernongray, are u ueseriousr joking? I sense some sarcasm in your message. If your Aerio is falling apart, take it to your dealer before anything else falls off. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of support muffin man and artdecho. I am glad to report that I had the scratch removed. The car is back to "normal". Unfortunately, my wallet is now a little lighter.
    Vernongray, are u seriouse or joking? I sense some sarcasm in your message. If your Aerio is falling apart, take it to your dealer before anything else falls off. Good Luck.
  • Options
    jmmgjmmg Member Posts: 19
    Dear everyone, my Aerio SX so far so good, except when I turn the steering wheel 360 degree to the right turn, a annoying clicking noise has appeal again and I can feel it from the steering wheel as well, it just start having it two days ago, My Aerio has just pass 1200 km. Have any of your Aerio have the problem of turning right???
    Could you guys give me any insight on that?
  • Options
    Also, is 1200km pass the burning -in period yet?
  • Options
    I had the same problem. I took it to the shop. They told me it was due to a missing bolt from the cat. converter. They replaced the bolt and the clicking noise seemed to have dissapeared...... but it's back. I have to take it back to the dealer. When I took it the first time, they told me they did not have any knowledge of this problem happening to others but apparently there seems to be one. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    Remember they replaced my first Aerio? In that first one , it has the same clicking noise as well! So including my new one, there are two on a roll!
  • Options
    imacumacimacumac Member Posts: 18
    Sorry everyone to hear about your clicking problems. I know my friend worked at the Suzuki/Buick Dealership and they had some weird clicking or other odd noise coming from the car. It sounds like it could be a manufacturing process that may affect all of them because I find it odd that the peeople who do own this car have had this problem , and that people like my friend who have worked on these cars encountered the same thing you are describing.

Anyways hopefuull everything will work out okay and they will fix this problem for you. According to my friend they had no idea what the problem was they tried everything except replacing the cv joint and some other car part that i am not aware of.

PS. does anyone know if youo could add a awd system to a stock aerio sx. how would that work.
  • Options
    wenbwenb Member Posts: 45
    Sorry to hear about the problems with the Aerio.If the problem is a defective part, It could take a while to correct.I can,t imagine that Suzuki would let a chance to increase their share of the american market by not adressing this problem. To solve the problem right takes time.This may envole a new part being supplied.Document your problem.Make it known in writing that your issue is not resolved and that you are waiting for a real not quick solution.The best fixes to problems are not often able to be done quickly.They have to find problem. repeat problem; develop fix, test fix.Remanufacture or change supplier. Get the new product to dealers. When I buy a new car, I will probably subscribe to a service that can supply me with the technical service bulitens regarding know issues. check out alldata.com . It may be worth the money.
  • Options
    No known bulletin on the clicking sound that some Aerio owners have according to all the research I have done. If enough owners complain about it Suzuki of course will work it out and investigate it and make it right but this takes time so be patient. The Aerio has been on the road in Europe and Japan for 18 months now and Im curious if the problem is unique to North America. Have any of you corresponded directly with Suzuki?? You should. Let us know what their reply is. Did any of you with this problem notice it when you test drove one?? I had a strange noise a week after I bought mine but it disappeared after 1000 miles and the car felt fully broken in. Maybe I was lucky. My dealer has never heard of this problem.
  • Options
    Didn't you write or call them directly? If so can you please post the information?

Thanks
  • Options
    No problem with ours so far but then i don't think I've ever had to fully crank the steering wheel to the right (or left for that matter). In most cars, when you turn the steering wheel as far as it will go, the power steering will make some kind of noise....the solution is to just back off a bit......your problem could be as simple as this. Or maybe the tire/wheel is coming in contact with something at full lock. The only noise I've heard is the quiet click for the ABS self-test when you first apply the brakes when you start to drive......this is completely normal, however. Oh, and to the guy who had pieces coming off his car....a section of the lower left rear bumper is removable so you can access the tow hook......perhaps it wasn't snapped in place correctly, or someone "removed" it for you. Ditto with the spoiler bolt cover.
  • Options
    thanks for all your insightful information, I will certainly talk to Suzuki Canada( By now, I am not a "Stranger" to them, anyway!)And as soon as I get some result from them, I will share with you guys. btw, my last message means is that 1200~1300 km is good enough for the break-in period?(I was burning a cd that time when I wrote that message, so I wrote burning-in,what an idiot I am!)
  • Options
    Trust me, this is not a normal sound. It clicks or knocks pretty hard and it feels as if you are running over something or riding over a bump. When I have the radio on, I can not hear it but I can feel it on the steering wheel. I just hope it's nothing major that will have my wheel fall off while driving....really!!
  • Options
    vernongrayvernongray Member Posts: 6
    Just to let you know i wasn't joking. I to have heard the sound some people have been describing. The sound is almost like a pop, it happens most times when I parallel park. I do not move he steering wheel all the way to the right or left. If that was the case normally you here a whining soung not a click or a pop. As for ABS it is a waste of money. I know many people are sold on it for safety, but i hate to tell you most people don't know how to use it. most people were taught to pump there brakes. the problem is if you pump ABS brakes you increase stopping distance, and we know how hard it is to teach us (Americans)new things we can't even get the metric system down.:)
  • Options
    A few of you mentioned that you were taking your Aerio in to have the service department replace some parts to fix the problem. Did they eliminate the problem and what parts did they replace??
  • Options
    wenbwenb Member Posts: 45
    I am concerned about the noise problem with the Aerio. I was checking out the Huyndai Elantra GT. It had a manufactuer logged issue in 2001. I was just checking out the Saturn Vue. It is a pretty cool package. One of the issues the Vue owners are dealing with is clicking noise when turning. I do find it kind of strange that of three vehicles of interest to me all three have or have had in the recent past an issue with clicking while turning.I found the Huyndai issue logged at the NHTSB web site. I don't knoww what the resolution was because you have to buy that. If any one knows about that issue I am curious.
  • Options
    So far (touch wood) our Aerio is "noise free". I guess it's officially broken in now at over 1700 km (over 1000 miles). Mileage hovering around 30 mpg for mostly city driving with a/c on (it's been incredibly hot here lately. Knocking/popping noise on Saturn Vue's, I believe, was traced to the CV joints, Wenb......don't know if that's the case with the few Aerio's that have had a similar problem. Anybody heard anything about the 2003's?
    Any changes coming? I wonder how much the premium will be for AWD. A longer-wheelbase "stretched" version with AWD would be just about perfect in my book.
  • Options
    I took the car into the shop. They told me that the car was "too new" to even have an idea of what the problem could be. They thought it was a missing bolt in from the cat, converter but it wasn't. I think I'll wait a little longer so they can gather more information before taking it back. Besides that problem, the car is running great. I can't believe how good that little a/c is. Even though the temperature is about 97 degrees I only keep it on low. It's that good!!
  • Options
    thanks for the fix info!!!!!!!!
    im sure it will help a lot of people here with this very annoying problem :)
  • Options
    dixaronedixarone Member Posts: 21
    I test drove an SX yesterday at our local dealer. They had three vehicles in stock - all yellow, all SX, 2 manuals and an automatic. The dealer apparently orders everything in once you've purchased the car. Our salesman indicated that Suzuki is no longer offering the Aerio sedans or the GLX models - has anyone else heard this? You can get either a base fastback or the fully decked out fastback, and that's it? I would say it's not particularly surprising if true, but it seems odd that Suzuki would abandon 1/2 of the model line before a year is out.
  • Options
    and I find that the GLX/Sedan is in fact not being made for Canada any longer. So I answered my own question (or more correctly, had my question answered in advance). Anyway, no worries.

My own thoughts on the car - I was definitely surprised by it. In rereading the previous posts, I was glad to see that ground clearance doesn't seem to be an issue (still not sold on the whole "ground effects" package, but what the hey). The SX automatic that I test drove was quite responsive, and I liked the overall package better than the more expensive P5 (although my P5 test drive was a couple of months ago, so perhaps it is just a case of selective memory).

The dealership in town seems quite reasonable to deal with, and my understanding is that these cars are not being discounted by much, if any, regardless.

Does anyone have any experience with car seats and the like in the Aerio?
  • Options
    I thought the seats were awesome. i drive a 16 yr old car so maybe anything i drive is a vast improvement, but i liked the feel ( like a soft velvet?? i dont know). it was very firm which i also liked. i think with a firmer seat the car will age better so your AS* isnt sagging in the seat when your driving.... my sister's honda is firm but soooo cormfortable on long trips whereas the jeep my parents have, hurts after about an hour.
  • Options
    ...I meant child/infant/baby seats, not the seats in general.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Not to rub it in to current owners, but I'm so glad I waited till the 03 models came out! As of July 31, all Suzukis now come with a 7year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty that is fully transferable. The bumper-to-bumper warranty stays the same. What great news! Now I don't have to be so afraid of warranty coverage since I'm coming from a Hyundai.
  • Options
    andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Has anyone heard when the AWD version will be released?
  • Options
    I think i read somewhere that the awd is coming in SEPTEMBER. But i am not sure. I know it will be a 2003 model though. also the financing for 0 % will be continued to the end of the month. it said for 2wd drive sx, sooo maybe the awd is in AUGUST? but then the financing said for 2002/2003 models also.......

suzukiauto.com
  • Options
    Your correct, they did just announce a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. Two months ago I sent a list of 6 or 7 ideas and improvements to Suzuki including telling them they needed a long warranty to compete with some of the other players in that price range. Now they do it and I just wrote to them again to see if it is retroactive to earlier 2002 models. No answer yet but Im sure I already know their answer. Im sure Im out of luck but at least they listen sometimes.
  • Options
    suzukidlrsuzukidlr Member Posts: 8
    It will be available in septemer. THe price is going up 500 plus dollars an every model. The AWD will be a $1000 option and they got some neat changes in the inside. The Aerio will now come with a 6disc indash cd changer. Cruise will be mounted on the Steering wheel plus some othe minor changes. Also the horsepower will be increased to 145.
  • Options
    do you know if there will be a console compartment??? thx for the info above by the way!
  • Options
    jj2002jj2002 Member Posts: 1
    This is for firestick420. Thanks for the technical information. I have the same complaint about the clicking noise in my Aerio. However, I took it to my local dealer who said they never heard of this "fix". Since I have never had an issue with my dealer I am not sure of the validity of your information. How do you know it is accurate? Also do you actually own an Aerio and have you experienced the noise for yourself? It is a very aggravating noise.
  • Options
    tessktessk Member Posts: 10
    I also heard that ABS will come as a standard in the 2003 model. Is that true? I'm this close to getting a P5, but if what I see here are true (about the warranty and CD changer), I might just wait for the 2003 models. And they better be good. I'm already dissapointed in Suzuki for not supplying any ABS in my area.
  • Options
    kensonkenson Member Posts: 9
    I have been following this discussion for some time. I would like to thank all who contributed. Partially based on the positive comments here, I finally made my decision and purchased a new SX this Sunday, Aug 4. Although I haven't the time to really drive it that much, so far I am quite happy of what I got. However, tonight on TV I saw a Suzuki ad which disturbed me. It said effective Aug 1, all 2002/2003 Suzuki models will now have 7 yr/70,000 mi warranty. I wonder does that mean mine should also be under this new term? My owner's handbook only indicates the 3 yr/30,000 info. Of course I can call the salesman to inquire, but I doubt that he'd be very willing to help me once the car is out the door and it's all paid for. Does anyone have any suggestion? Do you think I can write to Suzuki directly to inquire? Anyone has their email address, or better yet a key person to contact? Thanks.
  • Options
    In the meantime, I hope a similar warranty is or will be available in Canada soon. About halfway down the page this links to is a telephone number. Good luck.

http://www.suzukiauto.com/contact/index.html

• Options
    suzukidlrsuzukidlr Member Posts: 8
    Yes kenson yours will be covered under the 7/100 warranty. Actually any bought from the first of July will be covered. About mid August you will receive a letter from Suzuki containig the information on the warranty.

And for tessk ABS will not be standard on the 2003, it wil be a $500 option like this year. I hope that answers a few questions and if you have any more just let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    ashdadashdad Member Posts: 9
    So I guess that means I missed the new warranty by one week since I picked mine up on June 24.
  • Options
    Thanks suzukidlr and dixarone for the useful info. My dealer phoned yesterday and when I asked him about this he also said I'll be covered under the new warranty term.

I am getting a center armrest/console installed next week. That should enhance the comfort level and add more storage space in the front. Yesterday I drove it for about 100 miles and so far I am very happy with it's performance, roominess, and style. I have been driving a rental Ford Focus 2001 model in the last few weeks. Comparing it to my new Aerio SX, I like mine much better on seat comfort, roominess, and visibility - the ability to see the road and all around clearly. Handling of the 2 are about the same, but I think my Aerio SX "feels" more road roughness than the Focus. Maybe the Focus has better shock absorbers? I don't know. I will report in more detail down the road as I put more miles on the Aerio.
  • Options
    I also thank suzukidlr for his info and lucky you to get the long warranty. I had written to Rick Suzuki a few months ago to suggest they needed a longer warranty and now they have it but it supposedly does not include mine that was bought in April. I did notice that on the national TV ad that near the end they say the great warranty is on all 2002-2003 Suzuki models with no mention of when the "ALL" starts unless it is in tiny print you cant read in 3 seconds. All should mean all. I noticed what you said about the rental Focus. You are correct. We traded in a 2000 Focus ZTS and the seats were not as good as the Aerio, nor the vision and it was more cramped and not quite as zippy. However it did ride and handle better on less than perfect road services. The Focus has one of the best suspension designs around and it was designed in Germany. It was a good car but 8 recalls with 3 more on the way was too much for us. If my Suzuki is as trouble free as the others I have owned then the long warranty hopefully wont be needed anyway. I also suggested a tire switch or change to Suzuki. I am anxious to try an 03 out with AWD. I had put a K&N air filter on the Focus and that made a noticeable difference in both the power and gas mileage. Wish they made one for the Aerio.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info about the Focus suspension. No wonder the ride feels so smooth even on rough surface when compare to the Aerio SX, or my old 1990 Geo Metro, for that matter. Btw that car has well over 200,000 miles but is still running pretty good. No major repair was ever done on it. Its excellent reliability was what prompted me to buy the Aerio, since I know the early Metro were essentially the same car as the Suzuki Swift.

About the TV ad on the 7 yr/100,000 warranty, I didn't catch all the detail the first time I saw it but when it was shown again I paid very close attention, and yes I could see the fine print did flash the "Starting Aug 1" line. However, I wish you good luck in somehow getting yours extended. Better yet, our Aerios will be so reliable that done of us would ever need to do any warranty repair.
This discussion has been closed.