2012 BMW X3 Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,237
edited September 2014 in BMW

Comments

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    2000-2005 Ford Excursion with either the V10 or 7.3 diesel or a modified and corrected I.E Bulletproofed 6.0L diesel.

All the room you want for the family and dogs and you can still park it in a normal parking space.

A suburban 2500 would be a good option if the used market out in California is a bit on the thin side for Excursions and if you HAVE to have a "New" vehicle.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Scott, it is obvious you have no idea what it takes to drive somewhere with an infant. Forget the dogs, unless you buy a large minivan or a Suburban.
  • dmosdmos Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 8
    Scott,

How often do you expect to run into that usage case? If it's the odd trip a few times a year where the dogs + future child are going out with "stuff", why not look into a roof rack/pod? Then the stuff could ride up top, with the mutts separated from the child. Then the rest of the year your wife gets something that will accept child + dogs and not be any larger than necessary. This is how we get away with having a coupe and a wagon, while our neighbours and friends all have minivans or gargantuan SUVs.

See Dan's example with the CRV.
  • goober88goober88 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a ML is more appropriate! I bought mine because it rides better than a X5, and after all the stress that I have given the seats--I can safely say that the leatherette can handle anything.
  • f0xfire021f0xfire021 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 328 wagon that's about the same overall size as the x3, just with less head room. We also have a kid and a large dog, and find that it works just fine for long trips by loading most of our gear into a roof box and letting the dog have the hatch. 99% of the time we have a great driving little wagon that is more than spacious enough, and the other 1% of the time when we're going on a trip and absolutely need the space we pack carefully and deal with it. Have yet to have a moment where it let us down due to space constraints.