Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• fyreslayerfyreslayer Member Posts: 3
    In the process of negotiating a deal on a 2003 Baja am I going to have problems getting parts or accessories etc. Is this vehicle that bad that on top of never advertising its fate is done. Should I just walk away from the table? Feeling a little torn any suggestions or comments. This vehicle is brand new and I like it but not if Subaru can't get parts down the road.
    Cheers Slayer
  • davem2001davem2001 Member Posts: 557
    But don't worry about parts - it's basically the same as a Legacy/Outback wagon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I doubt it, because mechanically it shares parts with several other Subies.

I would get whatever accessories you want now, of course.

What might happen is your orders might take a little longer for replacement parts, though.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That's pretty lame excuse Subaru offered, regarding the future airbag testing...

I just hope Subaru doesn't give up on pickups. It's a HUGE market, and with the right vehicle, they could do real well. Yeah, I'm really disappointed in this news. :(

Bob
    They say air bags, but they mean they won't design one on the new platform.

We would only have seen a 07 if they could have kept on building the existing Baja.

That's how I read it.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They should build one on the B9 platform and take on the Ridgeline!

-mike
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I am totally devasted. If the price is right, I may try seat mods on an '06 BT.

IIRC, there were 2003 Sports selling in the $17 k range. If I can get a Turbo for low 20's, I may still trade in my Forester next year.

John
    Yep.

Bob
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    it's always frustrating when a vehicle you particularly like fails in the marketplace but you can't be surprised in that no manufacturer has succeeded in selling a car-based pickup in the USA in the nearly 50 years since the ElCamino and Ranchero were unleashed on the world.

This type of vehicle is very popular Down Under (where lots of people really need truck/trucks) but not so much in the States were folks seem to prefer truck/trucks even though a car/truck would make more sense as a commuter/DD.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

rest of world doesn't usually realize how big us Americans are. I have been all over the world and get stares at being 6' 3". Kids run away too. While some can fold themselves into a Baja sized cab, most Americans just won't put up with it. I don't think it is anything else, just a cab size issue for the Baja.

John
  • skim1114skim1114 Member Posts: 6
    Where is this article that talks about the discontinuation on the Baja for '06? Is this a rumor or fact?

How do you think this will affect the costs of the bajas on the lot right now?

Thanks.
    see Bob's link above post # 1955.

Baja prices are already discounted ($1000 rebate for sport, $500 for turbo).

It is a real wild card. If Subaru slows production and phases out early, there could be no real price change. I don't think this will be like the Isuzu Trooper for example, that had $8000 discounts in its last year. Keep in mind that the dealers actually have to purchase the Baja if it is on their lot. If they can't make anything, they won't stock up. It would take big time incentives from SOA to make it worth their time. And, it looks like SOA wants to ramp up Tribeca production using the Baja assembly line.

John
  • bmocbmoc Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in the Baja and would like to customize it to look like it's built for serious off roading, but am having trouble finding any pictures or tutorials on the net showing one with a lift kit and larger/nobby tires.

Anyone out there have pics or links to Baja's that have a lift kit with off road tires?

Thanks!
    -SD
    sedavid1@yahoo.com
    Check for stuff in Australia. Although to be honest the way the subaru suspensions are you can't really lift them too much and as an offroader I don't think they would/could really be serious offroad vehicles....

-mike
  • martinazmartinaz Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2005 Baja Turbo. This vehicle requires premium fuel. I plan on taking it to Mexico on occasion (3-5 days per trip, ~6 six trips per year). I have a tough time communicating with the attendants at the Pemex stations and I'm never really sure what they're putting in my tank. Does it hurt to run 6-8 tanks of non-premium fuel every year? Is there an additive I can buy that will compensate for non-premium gasoline?

Also, I usually travel with jumper cables, an empty gas can, some water and an assortment of other small items. Is there any convenient place to store these in a Baja? I plan on using the area beneath the drivers seat for the amp/subwoofer.

Thanks!
    Martin in AZ
    I'd keep the gas can outside the cabin even if it's empty - fumes.

Cabin storage is very tight. I'd get a bed extender and then tie things down in the bed.

-juice
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi,
    Will premium gas be required or highly recommended for the B9 ? Is this for performance reasons. ?
    Steve.
    recommended.

-juice
    well, I had a couple minutes to check out the Bajas at the local dealer. I was looking for a premium package with the power leather seats, thinking that maybe I could get some head clearance by dropping it down. They didn't have one, but they did have a silver turbo MT, which I sat in. Oddly enough there was just (barely) enough head room but not so little that I was constantly reminded of where the roof was. So, I took it for a spin.

I was prepared to be overwhelmed by the turbo, but the engine sounded like my Forester NA and really below 3000 rpm there was no indication of any extra pep. Probably the weight factor. I downshifted to get the RPMs up to 4,000, being mindful that it was a new engine not broken in yet. There was definitely more than my Forester above 3000 rpm, but nothing really major.

All in all, I think I could live with it and that it would be a better vehicle for me than the Forester. But, I am not yet convinced financially that I want to get encumbered. Dealer is nice, but invoice is still in the low $22k and with Homelink, bed extender, and the SOA rebate of $500 (which basically covers the destination) the pre-tax price is still in the $23k+ range. Cheap? Maybe. Cheap enough? Not sure.

Does anyone know if the MT Turbo is available with premium package (heated leather power seats, hard bed cover)?

John
    Does anyone know if the MT Turbo is available with premium package (heated leather power seats, hard bed cover)?

No, it's not. Maybe for '06?

Bob
    I vaguely recall that in 2004 all the Baja Turbo models had power seats, and leather was an option. In 2005, to reduce the cost of the vehicle, SOA decontented the turbo. I have a 2004 turbo PDF brochure that indicates 6 way power driver seat with manual lumbar.

Anyway to get into the Baja right now means giving up things that I like in my Forester (heated seats, for one). I may hang onto it for another year and see what '06 brings. Financially, that would be the best move too.

John
  • bajajoebajajoe Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a smaller crew cab p'up, and like the looks and reviews of the Baja. I went seriously shopping yesterday and got what I thought was a very good offer. I'm just looking at the Sport, but I was offered $19190(20190 minus 1000 rebate) for a brand new Sport, with only the splashguard kit, no other accessories. I was also offered the financing at 1.9 for 24, 2.9 for 36 and 48, and 3.9 for 63. Does the imminent demise of this model seem to be pulling the price down? Is this as good a deal as it seems? Help me out here, please
    Sounds good to me, especially if they can really get those finance rates on top of the rebate. In most cases it's one or the other, not both.

Good luck.

-juice
    oddly enough, the Subaru promos insist that they be combined. Doesn't make sense, unless someone thinks they are going to make money at 1.9 or 2.9% interest.
    Rates are pretty low, my savings account pays me something like 0.0000075% per year interest. ;)

-juice
    I don't think it is the demise, just general lack of sales. The dealers have certainly learned a lesson about keeping large inventories on stock, so SOA has to keep the price very low to tempt dealers to purchase. Note, Subie dealers have to actually purchase the vehicles from SOA and thus their prime concern is what portfolio of vehicles to stock in order to meet demand and make money. If there is a weak seller in the lineup, they are reluctant to put it on the lot unless SOA tempts them with a great price.

Same tactics that the dealers use on us.

John
  • osttyostty Member Posts: 4
    you might take a look at ozzbros@ozzbros.com - it is a hard cover that locks
  • osttyostty Member Posts: 4
    might want to get a cover for the back - then you have place to store - suglid has a good fiberglass top and ozzbros has a good removeable top - both are lockable and might fit your needs.
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    if subaru does discontinue the baja does anyone know if they will come up with a replacement crossover truck
    we are all hoping...

Best: Tribeca Baja

Next Best: The new Outback platform.

Problem is, it sure looks like there is going to be a gap in Subaru SUT availability, if there is a new one.

Unfortunately (for Subaru), I will likely be in an '07 Ridgeline about that point. Or, the new Ford SportTrac with AWD and IRS and a turbo diesel.

As GM's Lutz has indicated, the Ridgeline is likely to spur a host of takeoff's. This is good and about time, IMO. The door is still wide-open for Subaru, but it won't be very wide in 2008 and later.

John
    Subaru is watching Ridgeline sales to determine what to do next.

I doubt we'll see another one based on the Outback.

-juice
    that would be funny if we all went out and bought a Ridge just so we could convince Subaru that we needed a bigger Baja.

John
    Unimpressed with it personally, especially for the $$$$ that it's commanding.

-mike
    But the class as a whole is pretty much overpriced. $28 grand only gets you a middling model, not loaded, nowadays.

The Ridgeline also offers full-size width at a mid-size price.

For you it's not heavy duty enough.

-juice
  • 65falcon65falcon Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have advice on the best place to tap into a vacuum line for an aftermarket vacuum/boost gauge being installed on a 2005 Turbo Baja?

Thanks.
  • herbv1herbv1 Member Posts: 8
    I am (was ) ready to buy a Baja until heard about the strong possiblity that it will be discontinued. :( If it does, what will that do to the resale value. Right now the resale value is high like other Subies?

It seems that the people who have the Baja like it a lot and that SOA just didn't do a good job with marketing it.

Thanks,
    Herb
    Got that right Herb. SOA did a miserable job promoting the vehicle. The Baja was doomed the day they first left the Indiana factory, as the very first brochures back in 2003 were about a month late getting to the dealers. It's a text-book case of what not to do with a new vehicle launch.

Bob
  • herbv1herbv1 Member Posts: 8
    I sent an e-mail to SOA and asked them about the Baja for 2006 and later. They replied with the following message.

Herb
    ******************************************************************************************- **
    Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. I am aware that the 2006 Baja models should be available at dealerships in July. I am not aware of the future plans past the 2006 model year for any of our model lines. So, I cannot confirm nor deny that we will be discontinuing the Baja model line after the 2006 model year.

As for resale, it may have a better resale value, as it would be a unique, limited model. This is just my thought.

As for parts, they will be available through Subaru for years to come. While some parts are unique to the Baja, many are common parts used in the Legacy, Outback and Baja models.
    I don't think it will have much of an effect. There is little supply and little demand. It's a niche vehicle. You likely won't be competing with other Baja sellers but it might be hard to find any buyers at all.

CarMax will buy your Baja or you could trade it so I would not worry about it.

-juice
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Any of you Baja guys hear if the 06 will get the 230 hp motor that the 06 Forester is getting.. or heck the 250 hp Outback motor? Thats how you end a model run... with a bang. I Test drove an 04 with 210hp for 35 miles and was impressed with it overall. Fun to drive, fast , and will outhandle any comparable 4x4 truck out there. Too bad the Baja was just way too small for any true truck duties (went with a 05 Tacoma instead). Sorry to hear about the 06 final year, but I'll guess that in a couple years they'll come out with a new 'truck'.
    not sure. Bob posted a while back the new 2006 engines that Subaru was certifying, and we did not see anything "new" for the Baja.

I would like to see the latest turbo engine in the Baja. IIRC they have also made some efficiency improvements in the new Turbos. It is still something that I am debating for 2006. But, if there are any rumors about a larger Baja then I will hold off.

John
    John, I suspect Subaru will make some sort of small announcement sometime after the '06 Bajas are announced. They won't make a big deal about it, or at least try not to, as the Baja represents a failure on their part. I'm sure they want to put this episode behind them as quickly as possible—and with as little fanfare as possible.

As much as I hate to say so, I'm not holding my breath for a new one. If Subaru does offer another pickup in the future, I doubt it will carry the Baja name. I have nothing firm to go on here, just a gut feeling...

Bob
    SOA incentives now up to $750 on '05. STill $1,000 on Sport.

John
  • mimasmimas Member Posts: 6
    Wanted to make 2000th post before swampy ;)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    You're slacking! :P

-juice