Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Baja

Comments

• Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    87 octane is fine, no knocking whatsoever. Same engine as is in my Forester and other base models for Outback and Legacy. That is the good news, there are tons of these out there so no worries about unproven engines.

John
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Definitely, regular fuel is fine. Should save you on fuel costs since that's the plan.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    Thanks! That is a very imformative site for information other than the bed cover too.

I built my own bed cover and I was curious how it looked in comparison. I'm sure the cover discussed on the site is more secure and weather tight, but I think mine has a much cleaner look.

I built it with OSB board, hinged in the middle. I put carpet pad on top and covered it with black vinyl. By hinging it in the middle it will fold and fit in the back seat or through the midgate if I need to remove it and bring something home.

I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

YooperBaja
  • Options
    They should have had that from the start!

-juice
  • Options
    Note the locking in bed storage (!!), hauls 4 x 8 plywood, gets 16 city 21 highway mpg. This will be a MEATY Baja-type vehicle. I am still hoping for the B9 Tribeca to be reconstructed into this.

John

• 255-hp, 3.5-Liter, 24-Valve SOHC VTEC® V-6 Engine

• 5-Speed Automatic Transmission

• Variable Torque Management® 4-Wheel Drive System (VTM-4®)

• Locking Rear Differential

• Heavy-Duty Automatic-Transmission and Power Steering Coolers

• Heavy-Duty Radiator with Dual 160-Watt Fans

• Fresh-Air Intake

• 4-Wheel Independent Suspension

Safety

• Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with EBD and Brake Assist

• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control

• Front, Side and Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor

• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

• Power Door and Tailgate Locks

• LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)

Audio

• 100-Watt AM/FM/XM®-Ready/CD Audio System with 6 Speakers

Interior

• Power Windows, Door Locks and Mirrors

• Multifunctional Center Storage Console with Sliding Armrest

• 60/40 Lift-Up Rear Seat with Underseat Storage

• Power Sliding Rear Cabin Window

Exterior

• Dual-Action Tailgate

• In-Bed Trunk™

• Automatic Heated Wiper Zone

• Remote Entry System

• Large Foldable Side Mirrors

• Privacy Glass

• Integrated Bed Lights (4) with Auto-Off Timer

• Heavy-Duty Tow Hooks (Front and Rear)

• Hidden Roof-Mounted Antenna
  • Options
    16/21 is kinda lousy if you ask me. But I'm looking at it from the Pilot point of view, not from a mid-size pickup.

And don't forget - no midgate at all, not even a small one.

Still, it gets the bulk of it right, and I think it'll be mildly successful.

-juice
  • Options
    it is sooooooo much better than the Baja, it just makes me sick... This is what Subaru should have done from day one! The size and capability are perfect.

It will be HUGELY successful!

Bob
  • Options
    yep, the mileage is the issue for me too. I think Honda will eventually bring in the Pilot's VCM system and bump highway MPG up to 25 or so.

If there ever is a Baja Tribeca at 29 mpg, look out the sales will be big time.

Plus, lets not forget the hybrids Subaru is promising us.

John
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    That would indeed be impressive, but then what would the excuse be for the mpg on the Legacy (or Impreza, for that matter) since it is a smaller rig?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    don't know the excuse. Note that the Baja Turbo makes 1 mpg more highway than the Forester Turbo which boasts less weight, better aerodynamics, etc.

I think it must have to do with the engine tuning (injection timing, turbo specs, valve timing, etc.).

John
  • Options
    Yeah, those engines are like a sponge and they squeeze all the performance out of them that they can. All of the turbos are different though. I haven't looked too close lately, but some are 225 hp, some 250, and I think the WRX STi is 300 w/ an unbelievable 0-60 esp for AWD. In order to tap the horses, you've gotta feed 'em! ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    great link Bob. I didn't know they had all the photos up. Did you see that in-bed trunk? Deep enough for an ice chest, wide and long enough for two golf bags. Did you see how they slid the spare in and out? That is so cool, no more caked on mud on the spare for the traditional pickup spare tire location. I don't know how useful the two way tail gate will be.

4552lbs, this thing is about 1,000 lbs more than the Baja.

Looks: I am impressed, the original cut sheets gave it a sharp and angular look that I didn't like. Honda toned it down, it looks muscular and all business now.

I agree, it is a superb package. I didn't think I would be this impressed. I wonder how much trade in I can get on my Forester? Someone mentioned, the in-trunk space is probably reserved for a future battery for a hybrid model down the road. That could be something worth waiting for, plus the VCM system from the Pilot.

John
  • Options
    3 hours later it dawns on me that the dual opening tailgate is needed because of trunk access. duh

John
  • Options
    LoL, good call, but it sounds to me like a problem waiting to happen - especially under moderate or heavy use conditions. Overall, though, a very versatile vehicle - much better thought out and implemented than the Avalanche group by GM. The 16-21 mpg #s are not wonderful, but they are competitive with the other pickups in that market. Toyota's Tacoma usually sees better #s.
  • Options
    2.4" more headroom than the Baja. Leg room less, but I imagine the seating is much more upright so the knees is bent while driving ala traditional trucks. There is something in the roof, not sure if it is a clear stationary moonroof.

The 3-D 360 degree viewer that Honda has up gives a great ability to look top, bottom, and every which way. Nice tool.

John
  • Options
    Saw the Ridgeline and while the price level will be prolly $10 grand higher, I was still impressed.

Honda has a lockable bin inside the bed, water proof, big enough to be a bath tub for my two kids, almost. Very nifty.

The bed itself is more than 4' wide so it can fit lumber, the only mid-size to do this.

The gate opens down or to the side.

The interior is goofy IMO and the trim felt cheap with lots of hard plastics, but it has the goods and offers great utility.

If they do a new Baja, they should match the features but do a nicer interior.

-juice
  • Options
    As juice noted, we saw it at Detroit yesterday. While not (quite) perfect, the Ridgline will become the new standard for "family" pickups. That under the floor bed trunk is ingenious. This vehicle is so good it hurts.

My only criticism is the styling (I don't care for it), and I wish it had the SH-AWD, coupled to a 2-speed transfer case. Other than that, Honda flat out nailed it I think.

Bob
  • Options
    B 9 Tribaja

http://www.boxer6.com/photochops/tribajasd.jpg

This image has been revised from the one I posted earlier in the Tribeca thread. Wheelbase has been extended to ~118" and the rear track increased ~ 6" so that 4' wide paneling could lay flat on the bed floor. Now it more closely matches the dimensions of the Honda Ridgeline.

Bob
  • Options
    This is the original shorter version (see Tribeca thread), but from the rear.

http://www.boxer6.com/photochops/tribajasdrear.jpg

Bob
  • Options
    Great, can you hit the button on your virtual creator and send me one (lol)?

It looks more aerodynamic than the others out there, my guess would be that it would easily do 24 or 25 mpg highway, which is 4+ better than Honda.

John
  • Options
    Nice chop.

I'm not sure if a pickup fits the image of the new Tribeca.

The square box doesn't blend as well with the round front end.

I dunno, I think the whole thing would look a bit different, like the Ridgeline differs from the Pilot.

-juice
  • Options
    xsailor8xsailor8 Member Posts: 3
    Seem to be losing 1 qt. of oil every 6000 miles on a new baja turbo. Dealer cant find any leaks and there is no smoke. Sometimes smell cooked oil. After two visits to dealer they are now saying that baja turbos can lose 1 qt. of oil every 6000 miles and it is normal. Is anyone else having this experience with a subaru turbo engine?
  • Options
    I'd say that is easily within spec. The industry standard for max oil consumption is actually one quart for every 1000 miles.

To be honest, what I'd do is just shorten the oil change cycle. Sounds like you are on the 7000 mile schedule, I'd switch to 3750 miles instead. Then you'd hardly be adding any oil at all.

Another option is switching to synthetic, especially since you have the turbo engine.

-juice
  • Options
    jwm1jwm1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone got any idea who is manufacturing these hard covers? I just got an 05 Baja (not a turbo) and was underwhelmed with the soft cover. I opted not to order the soft cover in the hope that I could find one of these later and fit it to my non-turbo bed.
  • Options
    osttyostty Member Posts: 4
    the cover is likely made by a Ford subsidary... It is not scheduled to be released for individual buy because of an agreement with Suglid and Penda. Take a look at ozzbros.com.
  • Options
    osttyostty Member Posts: 4
    have put 65k on one sport Baja and 20k on second... Great commuter... Great all weather... you will not be disapointed.
  • Options
    Thanks. I went to the website and called & spoke to one of the owners. Seemed like an up-front guy. I'm leaning towards that option. The only draw back I can think of is that the tailgate latch sticks up and might obstruct full use of the tailgate in the down position. I think I'll post a question for any other Ozzbros owners.
  • Options
    I've been looking for a hard tonneau cover for my Baja and someone on the forum turned me on to the Ozzbros product (ozzbros.com). Seems like an ideal fix. A question for any Ozzbro owners on the net: Any problems encountered? I'm always cautious when buying something on over the net when I haven't actually laid eyes on it. The only reservation I have thought of is the tailgate mounted portion of the latch might interfere in using the full tailgate-down configuration for a long load. Any Ozzbros users have any comments/observations/recommendations?

jwm
  • Options
    gerryugerryu Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Baja Turbo last night, believe it or not, dealer filled the gas tank. After driving it around all night, I starting reading the book and it says that I have to use high octane gas. I didn't know this when I bought it and I have been all over the internet trying to find out if I MUST use this or if I can get away without it and use 87 or 89 octane. The book talks about "engine knocking" however the internet talks about "knocking sensors." I need to find out before I fill my tank, any idea?
    thanks
  • Options
    All Subaru turbos and H-6 engines take premium gas. I would follow what your owners manual says.

Bob
  • Options
    That turbo engine has been making about 240-250 HP on dyno runs around the country, that kind of boost would be best served by high octane gas.

-juice
  • Options
    babbab Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a bed cover and the only drawback seems to be the lock latch that attaches to the tailgate but I'm game to try and see. bab
  • Options
    I am not liking where the Honda Ridgeline is going with pricing in the mid-$30ks.

So I am scratching my head (not on the Baja roof though) wondering if there is an aftermarket seat that improves the headroom by a couple inches. Anyone investigate this?

John
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    MSRP of 4x4 Avalanche's are up near $40k or so, but we all know they don't sell at that. Last I checked, you could get about $8k off sticker.

-Brian
  • Options
    no thank you, I need something that gives me above 20 mpg and has AWD for the soft dirt I drive in while measuring farm fields. The Avalanche is overgrown and can't handle urban and city trips.

John
  • Options
    Avalanche has sold well, FWIW. They just inflate the MSRP to begin with to offets rebate costs.

-juice
  • Options
    I installed my Ozzbro a couple of weeks ago and I'm a happy camper. The tailgate-mounted latch isn't a drawback my opinion. I opted for the more expensive latch assembly ($75). They mount the latch on a piece of sheet metal. That piece is pre-drilled to align with the existing screw holes of the tailgate. Installs in a few minutes. $75 more is a bit pricey, but from my perspective it beat drilling holes in the tailgate.
    jwm
  • Options
    opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    I just got my new sport. Looking at stereo options, subs and amps, and lack of space. Anybody do a semi large setup? Also what other boards are avalable aside from here at Edmunds?

Mark
  • Options
    You got a double-DIN sized opening in the dash, and the OE sub goes under the seat. Maybe use the other seat for an amp, put in a sub, and a real nice head unit. That ought to do...

-juice
  • Options
    bajabbajab Member Posts: 1
    Hi I own an 03 Baja and I have about had it with the transmission. I learned after a quick 3 point turn the if you go from reverse to drive and the accelerate quickly, the tranny slips and then grabs. I mean grabs!
    The dealer told me at the cost of $155.00 that I needed to service the transmission. NO improvement at all. He told me that this is normal... right. Can anybody relate to this?
  • Options
    fredm2fredm2 Member Posts: 1
    I had a pretty lage set up in my 03 Baja- took it out to sell car. Two Kappa Perfect 10" subs in a custom enclosre to fit into bed, be removing down hatch powered by a JBL 1200.1. XM plus bel lazer jammer. DVD in rear center consol, Harman KArdon Traffic Pro Nave 7" monitor in dash, 5.8" head rest (if you are interested I will trade headrest with monitor for stock + 40). Kappa 60.5CS powered by JBL 80.4 and reference 6002 in rear doors. Plus optima yellow top......you can make it fit!
  • Options
    opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    this is simillar to my thoughts. 6.5 compaonets up front, maybe some 8 or 9 in the rear doors, a box for the bed. an amp under each seat I guess ?? lookingot mount a EQ i already have (large foot print) and 1 small bass enhancer

I was going to put this in a Camry but that didn't work out. I already have all the equipment but the 8"-9" for the rear doors.

Phoenix Gold Reactor (maybe built into the seat as on my G35 coupe) or a zx450 and zx500 under each seat.

Focal k2 for the front doors, I have another set Focals I could put in the rear but probably no rear fill if I can some bass out of the rear.

2 PG Xenon 10 dvc 4 ohm for subs in the bed when I get a hard top

Bass Cube

Eq 215x

Pg 1.0 Cap

Dynamat

All PG wiring

Mark
  • Options
    truckstevetrucksteve Member Posts: 1
    anyone find a good cover for a Subaru Baja? I had a bad experience with Mid America trucking, and am looking for a hard cover. Thanks
  • Options
    jrunnyjrunny Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Subaru is planning to use the 2005 Outback Platform for a future Baja.
  • Options
    No word yet.

Bob
  • Options
    all we do know is that there appears to be an '06 model scheduled. If it is bigger, I will be in it. Even if they just take away the moonroof, I will be in it.

John
  • Options
    fyreslayerfyreslayer Member Posts: 3
    Hey crew, Just purchased a 2003 Baja and would like to get a hard cap for it. Found one made by ARE has anyone installed one and if so do they like it, do they leak any remarks would be much appreciated. Any other similar products? ;)
    Cheers Slayer P.S. great chat set up