Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Baja

Comments

• Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    This is a car I really want to like, and it seems so good on paper -- but every time I've looked at one in person I just can't see how it would be more practical than my station wagon. The lack of a midgate (the pass through looks totally useless to me) combined with such a small bed makes me wonder what I'd ever be able to haul with a Baja.

We've thought a few times about buying another pickup (we currently have an Accord and WRX wagon) but for all the times we've borrowed pickups to haul things, none would have fit inside a Baja. Furniture? Forget it. At least with a wagon you can fold the seats and have a flat surface from the tailgtate to the front seats.

The Baja is a fantastic idea -- I fell in love with the STX concept before the Baja debuted -- but the execution fell short, most critically with the midgate omission. I'd love to see Subaru update this model and move it to the new (larger) platform, but only if the midgate appears.

It will be interesting, too, to see how the new Honda SUT fares in the market. Based on the Pilot, the size looks to be just about perfect and may prove to be more practical.

Brian
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I do see them more at the beach than here at home, and it would make for a good light-duty beach mobile.

I would need several improvements, though:

* full-size spare, you can't even get on the beach with a donut
    * 5 passenger seating
    * bigger bed, preferably 6" longer at least
    * locking tonneau cover
    * lower price (delete leather/moonroof)
    * less weight or more power (both, really)

If it lacked any one of those it would be a hard sell for my wife.

-juice
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I don't see the pass through as that important of a feature. A complete conversion, ala Avalanche, has more usefulness. But the current Baja pass through isn't functional except for skis and waterboards, etc.

The Honda SUT is the one to watch--if they can add another 50,000 units a year, Honda will have carved out quite a niche in the SUV-T arena.

Frankly, I have not been fond of going to a Honda dealer after shopping for an Odyssey and then the Element. I ended up with a Mazda MPV and the Forester, in part because the Honda mystique and arrogance (and unwillingness to sell even at MSRP) were too much to stomach.

John
  • Options
    For whatever reason, neither do I. I guess I'll just use the roof rack instead.

Hummer H2 SUT has a full midgate, but the Honda won't have any at all.

-juice
  • Options
    to answer the above post, I *would* find the bed extremely useful compared to my Forester, to carry such items as bags of cement, occasional car battery, a gallon gas can, any motorized/fueled up object, a shovel, a tire needing repair, etc...

I am getting myself worked up again. I have had all these and more in my Forester and it ain't a pleasant experience.

John
  • Options
    yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    I have a Baja and an Outback. I haul a whole lot more with my Baja than I ever have with the Outback.

One can of gas for a lawnmower inside a wagon and you will want the outside bed of the Baja.

I have also hauled two 55 gallon barrels (my garbage cans) with an additional 2 garbage cans in my Baja. I have hauled a small riding mower, 10 foot long PVC pipe (using the midgate), 2x4's, 5 foot tall shrubbery, and who knows what else that I couldn't in the Outback.

It is a perfect vehicle for the person who does light jobs and commutes with the same vehicle.

Once I owned it I was finding all sorts of things I could do with it.
  • Options
    For those of you wanting a longer bed, check out this site. This is the Australian based Holden company (I think it is owned by GM). The car in the photos is called the Crewman. It might give you an idea of what a Baja with a longer bed would look like.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/gallery?navid=2&ca- tid=1104&modelid=23002
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Excellent comments! The cross-comparison with your Outback is good to point out too. Here's a perfect example of why there are reasons for the Baja to continue.

SOA, are ya listening?

Bob
  • Options
    fast_fordfast_ford Member Posts: 10
    Not haulin much?

I line the bed with a plastic tarp, fold down the tailgate with the bed extender & have a friend load me up with horse manure for my garden. Holds 2 nice size front end loader scoups.

Compare to avalanche? Maybe not as big but no avalanche is gonna get 30 mpg on a trip.

There could be a few improvements, but I like this little truck & I had an F150 before it.

ff
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    SoA should market the Baja for its light duty ability. Target the light/ultra light industries.

My neighbor, owner of a HVAC shop, wanted a fun to drive practical vehicle that's good on gas. He also wanted a vehicle that will project a hint of blue-collar and a tasteful impression of success without being extravagant. He said its better for business when calling on customers than with his E55 AMG.

-Dave
  • Options
    I guess you could use a liner for the "dirty" stuff mentioned above but you'd still have the stench!

There an open, lined bed will prevail, of course. But it's still not very long, so only for small, stinky, dirty items. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    "An innovative design defines the SUT, both inside and out. Its revolutionary features include a five-foot-long cargo bed that offers remarkable payload capability, a spacious cabin with seating for five adults and numerous storage options. Plus, the SUT is equipped with superior ergonomics and delivers a smooth, comfortable ride. And it's an Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle (ULEV) that can be equipped with Honda's Satellite-Linked Navigation System™."

Nothing much new, but it sounds like they are going upscale with this vehilce, including front, side, and side curtain air bags. I like the "superior ergonomics" part, and the 5 foot bed.

John
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Will the payload be like that on other Hondas like the Element where you can barely put in 4 adults? Haaaaa

I can see it now, you buy the SUT, and put in 4 adults, then you have 35lbs left over for cargo! haaaaaaaa :)

-mike
  • Options
    Mike,

They are designing it for a 5,000 lb towing capacity so "remarkable" is likely to be 1,500 lbs (including passengers) or more.

John
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Wow 5000lbs not bad. I hope it's F/R instead of F/F drive.

-mike
  • Options
    Here is one solution for the bed length on the Baja that I plan on doing soon. I believe it is called a load extender. It slides into the hitch (if your Baja is equipped with one) and then comes up to the level of the tailgate (in the down positon) and makes a "T" so it is as wide as the tailgate. You can haul longer loads if you secure it well and flag it if is really long. I would think that one would be able to possibly haul a 4 wheeler in this configuaration (depending on the width of the 4 wheeler) if an extension tray or ramps were added.

I'm not sure where to order them or if they are available. I have one that is custom made for another vehicle that I am going to customize to fit the Baja.

I have a minature Ford Model T (6 feet long) that barely fits in the back of the Baja right now. I am planning on building a storage box to transport it more securely using the above idea. If it works well I'll post more details.

~Yooper
  • Options
    Pilot's payload is decent, I believe, so the SUT's should be similar.

Element is based on the CR-V, but it's heavier. The CR-V gets 800-850 lbs payload, IIRC, but the Element gest just 675.

Of course that's not an area of strength for the Baja, either.

I've seen the extender you're talking about on the TV version of MotorWeek, Pat Goss covered it. My fear would be unloading the front tires enough that you'd lose steering control. Plus don't exceed the tongue weight limit, I think that's 200 lbs or less.

-juice
  • Options
    pditty97pditty97 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned it since march and have to say that I have had no complaints with it's functionality. The only thing i didn't want to/couldn't haul was sheets of plywood. Everything else though has fit fine...bikes, 4*4's, shed, etc, etc...

The only MAJOR problem with my baja is the Transmission/engine...I think I just got a lemon b/c they have replaced the tranny, replaced this, that and I am still having major problems, i.e. truck won't shift into park at times and transmission/engine makes a metal on metal bang sometimes while slowing down 10mph-0mph and then i lose power while trying to speed up after that.

It's a shame because this vehicle has been perfect for everyday duties, camping and around the home projects.
  • Options
    Keep working with your dealer or call 800-SUBARU3 to get SoA involved. Hopefully they can sort it out.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Mine has performed flawlessly.

From the sounds of your post it sounds like you and I have a lot in common with what we have hauled with the Baja. I too have taken it camping (pulling an 1800 lb. Pop up camper)with all the camping gear and firewood in the back. I have hauled lumber, garbage cans, bike, riding mower, shrubbery and who knows what else. Yet it has averaged 26 mpg over 14,000 miles (I keep records on every tank and put on a spread sheet).

I agree it is a perfect light utility vehicle. I hope your problems are resolved and you can enjoy its functionality.

- Yooper
  • Options
    Ever get the feeling your car is going the other way down the road? I was driving our Outback this morning when I saw a Silver Baja (identical to mine) driving the opposite direction on the freeway. This is only the second Baja I've seen in my area. I believe it was from out of town as I live in a tourist area and the Interstate is the only way to leave.

It still felt strange to see an identical Baja. Yes, mine was still safely in the garage when I got home.

Yooper
  • Options
    Yeah, oddly enough this morning I saw a green Forester with a bike rack identical to mine. How many of that combination exist in the world? My guess is two.

-juice
  • Options
    I have a picture of my Baja on another site. See if this allows you to link to it.

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=88361990406&ph- otoid=68361990406

I added the thin red stripes at the bottom to subtly set off the silver. It looks pretty good. I am thinking of adding "SPORT" in red on the the rear panel, but I haven't got the details of where I want it exactly.

Yooper
  • Options
  • Options
    I've always liked that monotone silver...

-juice
  • Options
    My blades are starting to tear & need replaced.
    Most dealers only stock the entire blade & not the insert due to little price difference.
    For both blades the cost is $17 before tax.

I would think a reasonable price for the inserts alone would be around $8 a pair. But I'm told would be around $15.

Anyone replace theirs yet?

ff
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Check your Subaru warranty. On all 02-05 Subarus there is a "wear item warranty" for 3 yrs/36k miles. During that period SOA will replace worn wiper blades, brakes, etc. It adds to your enjoyment of your car. Martin
  • Options
    Wow, really?

I wouldn't expect them to cover that.

My wife's rear wiper tore and I just replaced it with one myself, and it would have been covered in that case. Oh well.

If you get the refills, CR said that isn't as effective as replacing the whole wiper. Since then I've gotten a full wiper.

Let the dealer do it, I guess.

-juice
  • Options
    I would doubt they changed the warranty much from my 2003. In my warranty booklet it clearly states the wipers are excluded from the 3 year warranty & that they are only covered for 90 days. This also applys to brake pads.

ff
  • Options
    Take a look at SOA's website and read what it says about "wear item warrantees" for brake pads and wiper blades. When I bought my car in 02 the salesperson alerted me to this coverage.
  • Options
    Seems we have contradicting information.

Print out what it says on the web site and show that to the dealer.

-juice
  • Options
    hmmm...that is interesting...definately conflicting. I wonder what the * see you dealer for details means????

ff
  • Options
    After reading it again & the full warranty...I think that is their out. Saying that there is a limited warranty not covered for 3/ 36000 on certain wearable items & those items are covered for 90 days.

ff
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I recently had all 3 wiper blades replaced on my '03 OBW under the 3/36 warranty since the rubber was torn. No questions asked. :-) Edit: the car was 2 yrs. old and had 35,628 miles.

My Mom also had them replaced on her '02 OBW.

DaveM
  • Options
    Just curious? Is your family a Subaru frequent customer? It would not surprise me that a dealer may offer this treatment to certain customers that they view as repeat customers. The little expense they incur would be offset by an extremely happy customer. Cheap advertising really.

Yooper
  • Options
    One more time. This is a Subaru warranty, not a special dealer thing for "good customers". The salesperson mentioned it to me as a selling point back in 2002. I've had all three wiper blades replaced once as well as front and rear brakes and front rotors. I think the "see your dealer for details" goes to the number of times Subaru will replace wipers (probably once). This is not a "free lunch". You paid for it as part of the purchase price of the car. It does benefit the dealer as you have an incentive to return there for service. Enjoy.
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Well I've bought 4 Subarus ('89, used '93, '96, '03), my parents 2 ('89, '02) and my brother 1 ('05) from this dealer. But this visit (9/1/04) is the first time I've had a car serviced there since about 1990 or 91. All work (wiper blades, f/r rotors machined, ECU reprogrammed, cruise control module replaced) was under warranty except for the state inspection (complimentary) and emmission inspection ($49).

Anyway, it's not a favor from the dealer. Defective or worn wiper blades, brake pads, brake rotors, remote batteries ARE covered under the 3/36 warranty. It's on the SOA website plus Patti from SOA (subaru_team) has also mentioned it.

Edit: Martin (snowbelter) beat me with his reply. I guess I type too slow! :-)

DaveM
  • Options
    Well that is good news. I am curious though as to what they are referring to about halfway through my warranty book where it is stated that wipers have a 90 day warranty..I guess I won't mention it when i ask to have my wipers replaced.

;-)

ff
  • Options
    odfrankodfrank Member Posts: 8
    My legs are cramped in my Baja. Has anyone tried having the seat frame moved back ? Is it feasible ?
  • Options
    Frank,

This type of modification I wouldn't recommend; others have used spacers and longer bolts to adjust angles on some of the other models, but actually rebolting the tracks further back will likely violate highly engineered safety features in your Baja such as the seat belt pretensioner and air bag deployment.

Unfortunately, the Baja is notably cramped for many of us. I would be driving it instead of my Forester if it wasn't for the leg and head room issues.

My only hope is that Subaru puts the next gen Baja on the new Outback platform and deletes the moonroof. That would add the couple inches in both places that we are looking for.

John
  • Options
    eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    If your seat frame is the same as my 02 Outback, its an easy fix.

The seat base is attached to the frame rails with four bolts. All you need to do is move the base back on the rails, I gained 3" of leg room when I did mine.

If I remember right, I think I only had to drill 2 new holes in the rails and used two other existing holes.

Eric
  • Options
    If you do that, take photos. Seems like every once in a while really tall folks come here and inquire about such mods.

-juice
  • Options
    gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    I am in the market for a crossover vehicle as a second ride to an 05 Outback. My requirements (1) AWD (2) Safe and Reliabe (3) Good MPG (43) Must be able to hual loads of goodies home from Lowes/Home Depot. I know these are different vehicles, but both meet my needs.

Has anyone compared the two? I would appreciate your thoughts. THANKS
  • Options
    I agree that both meet your needs.

The Baja does better serve more of the different purposes, since the Element is similar to your Outback.

Baja turbo is fast, but the base model and the Element are not exactly quick, both are a bit heavy for the base 4 cylinders.

Both seat 4, and payloads are sorta low, though Element is even lower (675 vs. 800).

-juice
  • Options
    bajanutbajanut Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if anyone else here is as dissapointed with the compleatly lack of advertizing that SOA has done for the baja? I bought my 04 turbo baja in febuary and absolutly love it. I keep hearing from everyone that they like it and didn't know what it was because it is not advertized at all. I have not seen a single TV, newsprint, or magazine add for it. Now SOA is rumoring that they are going to kill the baja after 06. What up with that? It is like they gave it a death sentance before it even hit the show room floors in 2002 with out advertizing it. Well enough of my ranting. What do you all feel about this?
  • Options
    I was driving from Lansing, MI to the U.P. of Michigan yesterday and was passed by a silver Baja twice during the trip. They were different drivers, both women and different cars (one was dirty). I was also driving a silver Baja so I gave them the thumbs up when I was passed and was given a thumbs up and a wave by the other drivers.

I have owned my Baja for 8 months and only seen 2 Silver Baja's during that time. To see two in one day.... My Baja was asking for a family reunion!
  • Options
    With pricing like this, it's going to be hard for Subaru to compete, unless the Baja is truly superior in "meaningful" ways to the buyer.

It is clearly a better daily driver. But Subaru has yet to sell that feature—I mean really SELL that aspect.

Bob

Tacoma Double Cabs

4x4
    V6
    Double Cab
    6M
    $23,870

4x4
    V6
    Double Cab
    5ECT
    $24,750

4x4
    Long Bed V6
    Double Cab
    5ECT
    $25,250
  • Options
    Doesn't Toyota do options a la carte, though? They nickel-and-dime you.

I bet most of them will be up near $30 grand, at least $28k or so.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    Where was that JDP APEAL link, Baja actually won its group.

If owners love them that much, there is the glimmer of hope for Subaru to make an effort at a 2nd generation.

-juice