Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    has anyone had it help them? how do you know if it is working?

Every year, after the first snow fall I take my car that I will be driving in the winter to a deserted parking lot and re-learn how to drive it in the snow and to reaquaint my self with the vehicle's limits. This year it is the CR-V that is my winter car. Part of the test is to "make doughnuts" This allows me to learn what the adhesion limits are in the snow, as well as the car's responces to my inputs (steering, gas, brakes). With the VSC ON the CR-V absolutley would not "make doughnuts" the computer cuts the engine power and apllyies brakes to keep the car going in the direction I turn the steering wheel. There are no ifs or buts. Another test is the emergency avoidance. With the VSC ON I speed up and then swerve to avoid a "deer." CR-V just does what I tell it to do.

WIth the VSC OFF, I can "make doughnuts" by coaxing the rear to swing with the throttle. And in avoidance maneuver the car just starts to slide sideways when "deer" jumps on the "road"

So, yes, it is working. I have yet to use it on the road, but it is nice to know it is there.

VSC is the reason Honda had to install drive by wire in the 2005 and on CR-V. VSC has the authority to over-ride driver's inputs to the throttle and to apply brakes. One of the nicest features of the VSC in this Honda is when it is OFF, it really is OFF.
  • Options
    Hmmm, something wrong here, the Ford is 25920 and the Honda is 25910. That is not $1000, perhaps the Ford is really 26920?

I'll pretend I am Scape2 and just ignore it. :-)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Now, now! Be good.

tidester, host
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Dude you are so out of control it's ridiculous. Not many people WOULD now what an SVO is, because there weren't many made! Don't get down on somebody, because they aren't familiar with a vehicle that was"

A. Built in limited numbers
    B. Built in the early 80's

But of course, your abrasive attitude is tough to reason with in the first place...

"And once again the Honda norm, the normal generalization that Ford "can't" do anyting right. Ford can't build a quality, reliable vehicle. Nope.. Its this kind of ignorance that just kills me!..."

I would love to know where you drum this up from, seriously. Even those who have TRIED to reason with you end up getting blasted with this incessant garbage.

BTW, My sisters 05' XLT, brand new by the way had a tranny and rear diff replacment the SAME week she bought the thing. Know what? She still adores it and you don't find me saying "Ford's are unreliable pieces of garbage"...

No of course not. But I'll end being accused of the typical Honda Lover/Ford basher... God forbid, I like both.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Dude you are so out of control it's ridiculous. Not many people WOULD now what an SVO"

And the million dollar question is: What does SVO stand for?
  • Options
    SVO - Special Vehicle Operations

"Developed by Ford's Special Vehicle Operations in the early 1980s, the Mustang SVO was an icon of Ford's commitment to producing a new generation of high-performance automobiles and racing products, as well as a renewed involvement in motorsports after abandoning them in the early 1970s. There were only 9,844 Mustang SVOs to roll-off the assembly line during their production from 1984-86, and today few people know that they were ever produced."
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We've decided to give everyone in here a breather. Enjoy your vacation. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Has anything changed in the last couple of months?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    New CRV on the horizon for 07' or 08' and the Escape is supposedly "gone Bye bye" to make way for the new Edge. Gosh, this thread has been shut down for so long, I almost forgot it existed! :)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Wow...the thread is really back? Has someone told scape?
  • Options
    ... so I could post a recent comparison.

I recently decided to change out of my CR-V due to some knee problems I've been having. I needed more legroom. So I went shopping. I sat in an Escape in the showroom and discovered that it has so much legroom I actually had to move the seat forward! So I decided to include it on my shopping list. Here is my verdict. I drove the Escape hybrid.

First of all, if you need LOTS of legroom up front, the Escape has it over the CR-V, which has much more rear legroom.

That is the only thing I preferred about the Escape. There were several items I noticed that made me decline the Escape. The following is a comparison with the CR-V, all IMHO.

1. Escape had a rougher ride.
    2. The Escape tipped over more in turns. I noticed it even when moving fairly slowly (about 20 MPH). It didn't tip a lot, or excessively, but compared to CR-V engineering it was much more tippy. I wouldn't have worried except that the Escape isn't offered with stability control. This factor was the "deal killer" for me on the Escape.
    3. The rear seating situation is not so good, especially in the hybrid - the rear seats did not recline at all. I think they do recline in the gas Escape, but I'm not sure.
    4. The fit and finish were not up to Honda standards. Everything fit "OK", but there were some gaps, and in general, when the Escape went over a bump, I felt the parts shift around a bit. That doesn't happen with a CR-V.
    5. Looking at the cargo area, it was much smaller (discounting the lack of under cargo storage - the hybrid uses that space for batteries). The under cargo area is shallower than the CR-V, even on the gas Escape.
    6. The Escape had the Audiophile sound - no comparison, the Ford has the vast edge in sound over the CR-V with this option!
    7. Last and least definitive - the overall picture. For whatever reason, the Escape just didn't seem designed as well as the CR-V. Not surprising since the Escape was designed in 1999 or so. My overall feeling was that it would be a step down from the CR-V to the Escape. In my situation, that is.

I will grant that perhaps I prefer Honda engineering, but keep in mind that I did eventually go with a Ford (the Freestyle).
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    everyone be nice.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Has anything changed in the last couple of months?

Steve, Host

Yeah, I am driving Escape more often, because she does not feel as safe in it as she does in the CR-V. In a few snow storms I have driven the CR-V, the combination of Stick, AWD, VSA, ABS has worked.

I noticed a few things about the Escape.

The perceived abundance of torque is due to the design of the throttle. The actuator is oval, so the initial tip in produces a half open throttle, while continued pressure on the pedal yields only marginally bigger openning. This gives you the feeling of tons of torque, when in reality you are just running with throttle half open. It makes it difficult for finite low speed "drive ups".

I drove the CR-V from NYC to Buffalo in the last weekend's Blizzard, and CR-V pulled strongly. The car was in at least 2 feet of snow, I cleared the path to the door, cleared the snow off the top and just drove out of the parking spot (parallel parking in NYC). Driving through the Bronx into NJ the VSA made sure the car stayed on the path I intended for it to go by applying brakes to different wheels when needed.

As soon as winter is over, I am getting my Honda back :-)
  • Options
    The perceived abundance of torque is due to the design of the throttle. The actuator is oval, so the initial tip in produces a half open throttle, while continued pressure on the pedal yields only marginally bigger openning. This gives you the feeling of tons of torque, when in reality you are just running with throttle half open. It makes it difficult for finite low speed "drive ups".

That's interesting information, blue...Thanks
  • Options
    This tends to be a trait with most domestic products. Tough to get a smooth, slow takeoff. Instead you get a lurching forward type of acceleration. Annoying, that's for sure.

Congrats on the Freestyle Steve.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I found it CRV fans! Your worst nightmare is back! A Ford owner that loves his Ford product, owns and has owned Ford products that have given hime thousands upon thousands of reliable and trouble free miles of travel!
    I am reading on the net the Escape may not be going away. Big changes for 07/08 model year.. Trying to find out more.
    Hey AnythingbutGM, congrats on your Freestyle. I see quite a few of these around these days in my area. In fact a family friend bought a Freestyle about a week ago in silver. Nice vehicle for those who don't want a van but want the utility of an SUV, ride of a car.
    Anyhoo... back to CRV vs Escape... :P
  • Options
    is the power window switches. They are the old style where the "up" rocker side is raised and the "lower" rocker side is indented. These windows have caused grief to a few children who got caught in the window, and pushed the rocker down - of course, the side pushed down was the "raised" side. This caused the window to attempt to raise continuously - trapping the child between the window and the top of the vehicle. On the driver window there might be a protection circuit that checks for something blocking the window (part of the "rapid up and down" feature), but on the other windows there is no protection.

The Freestyle (like the CR-V) has power window switches that have to be pulled up to raise the window.

The power window switches were another factor in my decision not to get the Escape hybrid.

FWIW, I drove Ford cars for about 20 years, until the mid 1990's. I am certainly not "anti-Ford" - I'm driving one now. I definitely prefer Ford to GM or Chrysler products. But I must stand by my view that the CR-V is the better vehicle - except for MPG with the hybrid Escape, and towing with the V6 Escape. And massive front legroom, of course.

PS. Welcome back, scape; this forum wouldn't be the same without you!
  • Options
    Believe it or not, I was hoping you'd be back...I spent some fun times debating with you...

It should be interesting to watch what unfolds with a new CR-V due out in 2007 and some form of a renewed small SUV from Ford.

Let the games begin!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your worst nightmare is back!

That would be a kinder gentler nightmare? ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Let's hope so, b/c this is a decent forum topic and should be left open!
  • Options
    the 'pull to go up' switch style is mandated by the government, i believe.
    personally, i have never liked them. i keep the switches locked unless asked to unlock.
    the only window that usually gets opened is the moonroof. ;)
  • Options
    "the 'pull to go up' switch style is mandated by the government, i believe. "

Well, someone needs to tell Ford. I just saw the old style on a 2006 Escape Hybrid.
  • Options
    rocknsandrocknsand Member Posts: 2
    I was interested to see if it was worth the extra money to go with the Escape Hybrid over the CR-V, so for what its worth here are my findings. I'm sure these numbers could be open to discussion...
    Escape: Base price 26,442...miles per year 25,000...gas price 2.25...total cost minus tax credit 2100 = 33,712.

CRV: My dealer quote 21,411...miles 25,000...gas price 2.25 total cost = 30,561.

Now if gas was 3.00 per gal the Escape is still about 400. more.
    If they are really interested in cutting oil useage, maybe they should price the hybrids closer to the regular gas models and crank up production. Any why don't Honda have a CRV Hybrid????

It looks like the CRV wins in my book, and since I am already driving a '90 Civic with 321,000 miles, I kind of like that dependablity.
  • Options
    I didn't buy a Freestyle. I was contratulating Stevedebi on the purchase of his. It is a competent product, I like it alot but My wifes MDX is serving us very well at the moment.

Welcome back scape.
  • Options
    I feel warm all over.. thanks folks! :D
    I promise to be nice Tide.. I will probably be leaving this room in the next 3-6months anyway. I will probably be selling my 01 Escape XLT 4x4 V6 this summer somtime. I have my eye on either a Fusion SEL V6 or a Jetta TDI in red!..
    Anyhoo... the Escape just seems to run and run with no problems at 65,000 miles...Cheers!
  • Options
    "I didn't buy a Freestyle. I was contratulating Stevedebi on the purchase of his. It is a competent product, I like it alot but My wifes MDX is serving us very well at the moment."

MDX is a great vehicle. I tried out a Pilot, but my wife is very short, and she would have had to step pretty far up to get into a larger SUV. The Freestyle is about like the CR-V for access - just slide right in.
  • Options
    dclark2dclark2 Member Posts: 91
    "I promise to be nice Tide.. I will probably be leaving this room in the next 3-6months anyway. I will probably be selling my 01 Escape XLT 4x4 V6 this summer somtime. I have my eye on either a Fusion SEL V6 or a Jetta TDI in red!."

Good luck on that one. Jetta tdi's are getting hard to find and they aren't bring any in for '07. Hopefully, this will make my '03 Jetta wagon tdi 5 speed worth more.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The base Freestyle is $25K and base MDX is $37K, so for $17K I hope there's some difference!
  • Options
    There is some advantages but I have good things to say about the Freestyle. It is a very competitive entry, just not looking for a replacment for the X at the moment, that's all ;)

In fact, I will probably inherit it from her in the fall when she gets either a new TL or G35 (or C-4matic/3..xi/A4/). Actually the Accord V6/6 spd is in there as well...

Cheers!
  • Options
    maybe the switch style will be mandatory next year. i read a while ago that it was on the way. as vehicles get redesigned it's easier to design it in earlier.
    i remember driving a camry in '95 that had them.
  • Options
    Maybe Scape can shed some light on the new Escape? They had the Escape replacement, the Edge at the auto show. Looked like Ford reverse engineered Murano. At least the outside is a Murano replica. Who needs to pay $35K for an Authentic Murano when you can get a Ford knock off for $10K less. Same with Escape, they copied what Honda did and made an Escape to get into small SUV segment.

Ford does not know how to innovate anymore. The Fusion looks like reverse engineered Caddilac CTS.

They did a good job with the Mustang, but it would have been really difficult to mess that up, considering they had 30 some years to do it. :-)

Welcome back Scape2. :-)
  • Options
    Funny, the Japanese auto industry was long famous for reverse engineering American cars. Now they pretty much all do it (link).

HP has a group here that does nothing but buy competing printers to see how they are made. That's part of innovation these days I guess.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    the Edge is not an Escape replacement. It's too large and expensive, although I agree about the Murano comaprison.
    If what you are saying is true, then the Murano and CR-V are competitors. Nope.
    It's tough to beat the perfection of the mustang design. even the v6 model with the 'pony package' is a jaw dropper.
    didn't the Liberty outsell the CR-V and Escape last year?
    Where did that come from? What does it mean?
  • Options
    The Liberty is much too small to be compared to a CR-V or Escape inside in my opinion. Have you tried to put a six-footer in the back seat of the Liberty?
  • Options
    Escape.http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_105889/newsarticle.html
    Granted, looks like its from Australia. But the Escape is made in the U.S...
    Took the wifes Tribute ES V6 4x4 over the coast range this weekend. I know you CRV owners claim the I-4 is just as powerful.. I convinced an owner of a Maroon CRV otherwise...He tried and tried to keep up with me up hills, around corners, ect... no go... ;)
  • Options
    Well, good to see the old drag racer is back. Let it be known that you started the whole "speed wars" thing again. This led to the demise of the forum for two months.

Did you both floor it around each turn and straight-away? Can you be sure he was floored the whole time?

No, but I trust your personal judgement. If you say your Escape is faster than that man's CR-V, I have no way ot prove or disprove you. Good for you if it's true.
  • Options
    dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I'm always getting outdragged by Escapes, and the only thing I have to show for it is far better MPG, better safety, higher resale and better quality...

:cry:
  • Options
    I think it's funny that despite all these claims of superior power, at 3600 rpm (and lower), the CR-V and Escape are virtually neck and neck in terms of torque. That is WAY higher than most people would want to consistently rev their engine when towing (if they know what they're doing), and it isn't until you get above 4000 rpms that the Escape is able to flex its advantage in displacement.

Then again, the CR-V is the one with i-VTEC, so while the Ford is screaming and running out of the breath, my little CR-V is just purring away. I consistently hit 5500 rpms in 3rd gear when passing on our numerous two lane roads in this area, and it never ceases to amaze me at how QUIET it is. That, and the fact I've NEVER done that in a domestic, if for no other reason than they feel like they're going to blowup.

PS - If anyone wants REAL power in a cute ute, go for the new RAV4 with the V6.

;)
  • Options
    I agree with you. if anyone is towing much (although i doubt many do with these cute utes), iVtec is going to provide more power across a broader rev range. Sure the Escape has more; at 5,000 RPM.
  • Options
    You sure he was racing you? Kinda silly to be racing compact SUV's, especially if the roads are winding. Sounds like you should be driving an X3,FX or the new RDX.

Take it to the racetrack may be the best approach... ;)
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    The first time I went over the coast range (Hwy 18) I tromped down on it (floored it) as I was approaching the summit. My wife yelled at me to back off. For my situation that means my CRV has more than enough power (or get a new Mrs... BTW, I plan to keep both). I was surprised... it really took off climbing the hill. I was VERY impressed with that little 4-banger. :)
  • Options
    "Escape.http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_105889/newsarticle.html
    Granted, looks like its from Australia. But the Escape is made in the U.S... "

Sorry, scape, to me that looks like the same Escape with new sheet metal. Look at the overall design...

Take a look at the difference between the 2001 and 2002 CR-V to see a complete redesign. Ford stuck a new interior and sheet metal on the old mechanicals, which are unchanged.
  • Options
    "Ford stuck a new interior and sheet metal on the old mechanicals, which are unchanged. "
    How do you know this? :confuse:
  • Options
    I knew I was going to get a bunch of trash talk on my posting of my road trip rumble with a CRV. I know its true and most of all the guy in the maroon CRV knows its true. As much as you want so badly to believe the HP/Torque difference means nothing and for some reason the 40HP and 40 ft/lbs of torque advantage of the Escape means nothing because of "gearing". It does. By the way, wasn't the HP/torque downrated in the new CRV?
    And another point I forgot to mention the guy in the CRV started the whole fiasco not me. I just finished it.. :P
  • Options
    By the way, wasn't the HP/torque downrated in the new CRV?

Here we go again. Just because Honda complied with the new regulations and Ford did not does not mean that the engine in the CR-V haqs been downgraded. Ford is still using the old method to measure HP, while Honda is complying with the new method. You never stop to amaze me. Ignorance is definatly bliss.

Even if Honda engine has been downgraded, it just says more about it beating Escape in all 0-60 runs by more than a second.
  • Options
    Asians oversell horsepower (Detroit News - thus the headline :shades: )

Steve, Host
  • Options
    "How do you know this?"

Well, for one thing, Ford would have been trumpeting the "new design", and they aren't. Also, except for VVT on the I4, the engines are the same. The styling I base on the fact that it looks just like the current model with different sheet metal.

If you can find something that says it is a complete redesign, I will stand corrected - and surprised. Ford tends to build cars on a "world" basis when possible, which means they would have designed it for use both down under and in the US.

Unless, of course, they "re-badged" some other manufacturer's vehicle...
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Unless, of course, they "re-badged" some other manufacturer's vehicle...

Umm, Passport anyone? At least when Ford does it they own the manufacturer. :P
  • Options
    I know him, and he said he was trying to get someone to help him with his wife, who was delivering a baby, but when he tried to wave the guy in the Escape down the guy took off racing. My friend couldn't figure out why, and I told him why, since I read here that scape was out racing again.

:D
  • Options
    we'll have to rename you 'smoke'. ;)