Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently own a 2019 or newer RAM pickup? A reporter would like to speak with you. Please reach out to [email protected] by 1/27 for more info.

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

1462463465467468478

Comments

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    fintail said:

    Wrong. I was always in the right lane, light traffic. I'm not a typical Murkan, I understand and practice lane discipline and don't see it as a violation of freedom or rights or a sign of impending death panels and politburos. I'd pass him from the right lane, he'd pass me, repeat a few times. He eventually got a little ahead when a carpool lane joined the mix and traffic increased (he had a woman/wife in the car, and likely a devilspawn, maybe distracting him), but he didn't get too far ahead as he slowed down again after a short time. No need to honk, I didn't have to actually change lanes.

    ruking1 said:

    So why didn't you give the Subie the horn? It would appear from your posting (c/c on in left lane? Otherwise why is C/C on in the right lane a shameful addition?) you were LLCing also.


    You posted a misleading/unclear portion. So it is good that you corrected the perception. Still I don't see the pathlogy, as what he and you engaged in IS the reason for the keep right EXCEPT to pass. So +/- 10 mph no real big deal. So you pass, get back to right lane, engage C/C, life is good.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    You misinterpreted. Nothing more.

    Random variance of speed is a sign of ineptitude.
    ruking1 said:


    You posted a misleading portion. So it is good that you corrected the perception. Still I don't see the pathlogy, as what he and you engaged in IS the reason for the keep right EXCEPT to pass. So +/- 10 mph no real big deal.

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    He probably worked hard and built it himself, and deserves the right of way. That's exactly who you want to get hit by, with your cam on, of course, so you can financially destroy them when it comes time to settle up.

    Driving in Berkeley (never a good idea--even when you're parked you're in danger). On Shattuck avenue, wide 2 lanes in either direction. Stopped at light. Light turns green. I proceed into intersection with pickup truck next to me.

    Mercedes 550 blows through red light. I jam on brakes, lean on horn. Truck does the same thing. Pedestrian in crosswalk jumps out of the way.

    Mercedes driver gives us all the 3rd digit.

    Nice. Real nice.

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    fintail said:

    You misinterpreted. Nothing more.

    Random variance of speed is a sign of ineptitude.

    ruking1 said:


    You posted a misleading portion. So it is good that you corrected the perception. Still I don't see the pathlogy, as what he and you engaged in IS the reason for the keep right EXCEPT to pass. So +/- 10 mph no real big deal.

    Evdently it was not @ random in passing you several times, per your posting. You passing of him was also probably not random.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 12,201
    Did anyone besides me google the meaning of "notwithstanding?" That's the best part of the CA left lane law, as it states notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits.

    So to all those LLC's out there that say "Why should I move, I'm going the speed limit," your question has been answered in law. Yes, the speeder is more likely to be involved in a traffic stoppage for a citation of the MAX SPEED LAW, but, the LLC is more likely to be involved in accidents.
    '15 Audi S4 quattro AWD Prestige, '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD 2.0T, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    No! But one doesn't need to.

    Yup! Passing on the right is THE antidote. It has never been against the law!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    edited May 2015
    My speed was constant. His varied for no apparent reason, likely distraction. Random enough for me.
    ruking1 said:



    Evdently it was not @ random in passing you several times, per your posting. You passing of him was also probably not random.

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    fintail said:

    My speed was constant. His varied for no apparent reason, likely distraction. Random enough for me.

    ruking1 said:



    Evdently it was not @ random in passing you several times, per your posting. You passing of him was also probably not random.

    Your post of constant speed was clear ! Why do you think it was not and still not clear?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,333
    edited May 2015

    Driving in Berkeley (never a good idea--even when you're parked you're in danger). On Shattuck avenue, wide 2 lanes in either direction. Stopped at light. Light turns green. I proceed into intersection with pickup truck next to me.

    Mercedes 550 blows through red light. I jam on brakes, lean on horn. Truck does the same thing. Pedestrian in crosswalk jumps out of the way.

    Mercedes driver gives us all the 3rd digit.

    Nice. Real nice.

    What were you doing in Berzerkly? I used to work in and around Berkeley and I know exactly what you're talking about! Nastiest Meter Maids there too!

    Ever eat at Spangers fish place end of University?
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 694

    Driving in Berkeley (never a good idea--even when you're parked you're in danger). On Shattuck avenue, wide 2 lanes in either direction. Stopped at light. Light turns green. I proceed into intersection with pickup truck next to me.

    Mercedes 550 blows through red light. I jam on brakes, lean on horn. Truck does the same thing. Pedestrian in crosswalk jumps out of the way.

    Mercedes driver gives us all the 3rd digit.

    Nice. Real nice.

    What were you doing in Berzerkly? I used to work in and around Berkeley and I know exactly what you're talking about! Nastiest Meter Maids there too!

    Ever eat at Spangers fish place end of University?
    Spangers Fish Grotto was the best fish house I knew of in those parts!

    It was always considered a real treat to go there.

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    I am sure it still is and a taste of nostalgia !
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/spengers-fresh-fish-grotto-berkeley

    However, the "food scene" has been on steriods and for awhile ! Food choices can range from the banal, right up to ridiculous, past the sublime !
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,333
    Thanks for the link. I took the time to read a few of the reviews and it sounds like it may have gone downhill. Too bad.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    These areas are SUPER tough, competitive "foodie" markets !!

    Funny how a little hole in the wall "TOP DOG" has been surviving (with 4.5 star ratings) for 46 years !!! (that I know of)

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/top-dog-berkeley
  • steverstever Posts: 52,457
    edited May 2015
    Oh Spangers, loved that place. Popcorn shrimp and a couple of loaves of sourdough.... sigh. Haven't been there for over a decade though. Guess I've always misspelled the name too. Hit up Sierra Designs for a gear fix before or after.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    YUP ! IF I remember correctly, REI, North Face, Sierra Designs still have Berkley, CA outlets. Most of my early "outdoor" (& DOWN) gear was from all of the above.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,457
    edited May 2015
    Just retired my Mountain Hardwear tent we got off the floor at REI there in '00. Weirded out the new salesguy when we insisted on taking it down and putting it back up in the store. My wife finished school in Berkeley - home of the inconsiderate driver who opened his sports car door in front of her in the hills and she took his door out (and one of her teeth).

    She was biking to class....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,943
    I've seen several cases of inconsiderate driving in the past few days, but the best one (read: worst) was one I've never seen before: I'm approaching a controlled intersection to turn right to enter a freeway. Two pickups are waiting to turn left to enter the freeway using the same entrance. Apparently the 2nd truck in line thought the lead truck wasn't turning quickly enough, so he turned left from behind the lead truck. Fortunately, the lead truck didn't decide to turn left at the same instant as the no-brain behind him--that would have been very messy.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    Someone did something inconsiderate here, not sure who did it:



    It's a sometimes messy interchange, exit and on-ramp using the same piece of road. Hey, the airbags worked. Driver was in the car, on the phone - hopefully dialed after the incident.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    I was in Berkeley doing an appraisal on a Subaru-powered '87 VW Westphalia camper van. Neat conversion, very professionally done and NOT CHEAP. You are quite right about nasty NASTY parking control officers. They will ticket you for 1 minute over on a parking meter. They'll ticket you if you're parked and missing a front license plate. They'll ticket you for not having your wheels chocked the right way on a wimpy slope. Berkeley is the worst for outright greed and merciless enforcement. Driver Beware!

    I have made it my personal crusade to never spend a dime in Berkeley and I have adhered to that for many years so far. I'd sooner run out of gas than stop there to fill up. I might make an exception for Top Dog though---I'd grandfather them in :)

    Hmm...no wonder the drivers are so cranky there. Who likes to live under the lash, after all?

  • steverstever Posts: 52,457
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    While visiting friends in an Indio, CA gated community, the hired security officer cited our car for being parked facing the wrong direction. I paid the fine with a letter of apology which included their trademark of a swastika.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 12,201
    edited May 2015

    I was in Berkeley doing an appraisal on a Subaru-powered '87 VW Westphalia camper van. Neat conversion, very professionally done and NOT CHEAP. You are quite right about nasty NASTY parking control officers. They will ticket you for 1 minute over on a parking meter. They'll ticket you if you're parked and missing a front license plate. They'll ticket you for not having your wheels chocked the right way on a wimpy slope. Berkeley is the worst for outright greed and merciless enforcement. Driver Beware!

    I have made it my personal crusade to never spend a dime in Berkeley and I have adhered to that for many years so far. I'd sooner run out of gas than stop there to fill up. I might make an exception for Top Dog though---I'd grandfather them in :)

    Hmm...no wonder the drivers are so cranky there. Who likes to live under the lash, after all?

    Speaking of outright GREED! I went to the Sheriff's office in a Northern part of the County and they said they do charge $17 to sign off a FIX IT / Correctable violation ticket. I asked if that was in addition to the court fine/fee, and they said yes. I think she read the disappointment and disgruntled look on my face and said the Escondido Police Dept. will do it for free! Just go on over there. So I did to save $17.

    Got there about 12:10, and apparently this gigantic central Police Dept only has one officer competent and capable of signing off tickets, and he isn't there (I'm sure out to lunch). They told me he'd be back in 20 minutes. I said I'd be back (but not in an Arnold Terminator way; though I'd love to drive a vehicle through their bullet proof window/reception area). I went to get lunch myself, returned about 45 minutes later and guess what, the officer still wasn't there. I sat until 1:25 waiting impatiently, and finally they tell me to pull my car up to the "loading zone" by the building. Wait another 5 minutes and out comes the officer. Took about 10 minutes to get all the paperwork back signed as there was another lady and vehicle also doing a similar thing.

    I get to the window, she hands me copies of the citations now signed off, and says $10! I'm like "10 DOLLARS!?!" And she said "yes, sorry, it's 10 dollars; sorry I didn't tell you in advance." I asked if that was per ticket or just a total fee and she said it was ten whether you had 1 citation or 5.

    The Court won't be as understanding with their fees in addition to these (the court will surely charge PER ticket), so I sent off my letter of "Requesting a Dismissal on the 2nd Identical Charge" to the Sheriff responsible today."

    Let's see if he's reasonable and helps me to not waste the Court's time.
    '15 Audi S4 quattro AWD Prestige, '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD 2.0T, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    Don't look at it as wasting time, look at it as a make-work project. That's what it is. Gotta justify a lot of positions, and those posh CA public sector benefits, esp at retirement, won't fund themselves.
    andres3 said:




    Let's see if he's reasonable and helps me to not waste the Court's time.

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    Hey now, the swastika did nothing wrong to deserve such an association. HOA meddlers, that's uncalled for! ;)

    Never buy in an HOA, and places with lots of gated communities are usually socio-economic failures (like Indio and much of southern CA).
    euphonium said:

    While visiting friends in an Indio, CA gated community, the hired security officer cited our car for being parked facing the wrong direction. I paid the fine with a letter of apology which included their trademark of a swastika.

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    Two goodies today, one boring one laughable. First, Bellevue wife in a big kind of gunmetal blue Denali, unsignaled lane changes, random variance of speed, but I didn't see a phone. I swear, vehicles of a certain mass preferred by a certain demographic should require a license endorsement. If I have to get one for a 150cc scooter or a 300lb bike, why is a 6000lb battering ram exempt?

    Then the winner, a guy in a big late model GMC 4 door pickup, kind of lurches into a crosswalk as I am jogging through it, I have green. He was shaving with an electric razor, no joke. Should be a massive stunning fine for something like that.

    Always amusing seeing someone in something like a new Range Rover playing with a phone while "driving" too. Way past time for progressive penalties. Of course, it's a demographic who have seldom had to answer to anything, ever.

    If the local anarchy-preventers would go after non-signalers and phone yappers like they do speeders on wide open roads, they'd be able to pay off the national debt.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    Yup ! Seems some of the keys are to always NOT be in the "PERSECUTABLE/PROSECUTABLE" minority/majority!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    No license endorsement required for aiming a 42' class A motor coach towing an SUV while turning right and driving over the curb to make the turn. And they're on the increase.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    fintail said:

    Hey now, the swastika did nothing wrong to deserve such an association. HOA meddlers, that's uncalled for! ;)

    Never buy in an HOA, and places with lots of gated communities are usually socio-economic failures (like Indio and much of southern CA).

    euphonium said:

    While visiting friends in an Indio, CA gated community, the hired security officer cited our car for being parked facing the wrong direction. I paid the fine with a letter of apology which included their trademark of a swastika.

    While there are % 's that can be seen as successful, HOA's are the (democratic/political/unions) urban and suburban response to housing, parcel and land development. The democratic powers that be would be hell bend to continue this travesty (LONG stories, UPSHOT/s follow the monies), let alone stop the process going forward. Let those TRAPPED in them OUT.? Probably NOT happening in my lifetime , nor a biblical generation for you. A Detriot style scenario wouldd be one way. BUT then one corollary might be: middle class, et. al, folks have to live somewhere. Or a WA state natural resources INDUSTRY gutting, not too far back in history will also suffice.

    Funny how in primarily democratic areas (read TAXEM MORE sentiments) how the lower to no sales/income tax to FOREIGN levies continued to be PLAYED.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    Ah, celebrating the freedom of the open road, enjoying a carefree vacation, getting back to nature---with the added convenience of taking your entire house and garage with you :'(
    euphonium said:

    No license endorsement required for aiming a 42' class A motor coach towing an SUV while turning right and driving over the curb to make the turn. And they're on the increase.

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    No doubt there will be more, as more the lucky generation masquerading as savvy investors sell their bought-for-nothing-now-worth-a-mint houses and become retirees, demanding a life of leisure.

    But license endorsements, that's trampling on my freedumb or something. You get the laws you pay for, for both gargantuan RVs and behemoth trucks and SUVs.
    euphonium said:

    No license endorsement required for aiming a 42' class A motor coach towing an SUV while turning right and driving over the curb to make the turn. And they're on the increase.

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    Easy solution, don't buy in an HOA. Most places still lack them.

    My failure remark was about areas with gated communities - they tend to be those with gigantic socio-economic gaps, an effectively invisible middle class, a huge underclass with a small top few, etc. What we're all probably devolving towards, unfortunately.
    ruking1 said:



    While there are % 's that can be seen as successful, HOA's are the (democratic/political/unions) urban and suburban response to housing, parcel and land development. The democratic powers that be would be hell bend to continue this travesty (LONG stories, UPSHOT/s follow the monies), let alone stop the process going forward. Let those TRAPPED in them OUT.? Probably NOT happening in my lifetime , nor a biblical generation for you. A Detriot style scenario wouldd be one way. BUT then one corollary might be: middle class, et. al, folks have to live somewhere. Or a WA state natural resources INDUSTRY gutting, not too far back in history will also suffice.

    Funny how in primarily democratic areas (read TAXEM MORE sentiments) how the lower to no sales/income tax to FOREIGN levies continued to be PLAYED.

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    fintail said:

    No doubt there will be more, as more the lucky generation masquerading as savvy investors sell their bought-for-nothing-now-worth-a-mint houses and become retirees, demanding a life of leisure.

    But license endorsements, that's trampling on my freedumb or something. You get the laws you pay for, for both gargantuan RVs and behemoth trucks and SUVs.

    euphonium said:

    No license endorsement required for aiming a 42' class A motor coach towing an SUV while turning right and driving over the curb to make the turn. And they're on the increase.

    Well the hippy dippy trippy days and compliance to using less resources might be giving rise to the next enviromental haters clubs !!! With RV's being WAY more mobil than being stuck in an apt that the enviromental jailers want to stick you into AND have you pay for, AND using WAY less resources than apt/house lodging, solar panels and batteries on an MB Sprinter can be an almost PERFECT scenario.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    fintail said:

    Easy solution, don't buy in an HOA. Most places still lack them.

    My failure remark was about areas with gated communities - they tend to be those with gigantic socio-economic gaps, an effectively invisible middle class, a huge underclass with a small top few, etc. What we're all probably devolving towards, unfortunately.


    ruking1 said:



    While there are % 's that can be seen as successful, HOA's are the (democratic/political/unions) urban and suburban response to housing, parcel and land development. The democratic powers that be would be hell bend to continue this travesty (LONG stories, UPSHOT/s follow the monies), let alone stop the process going forward. Let those TRAPPED in them OUT.? Probably NOT happening in my lifetime , nor a biblical generation for you. A Detriot style scenario wouldd be one way. BUT then one corollary might be: middle class, et. al, folks have to live somewhere. Or a WA state natural resources INDUSTRY gutting, not too far back in history will also suffice.

    Funny how in primarily democratic areas (read TAXEM MORE sentiments) how the lower to no sales/income tax to FOREIGN levies continued to be PLAYED.

    Easy and normally WAY more costly ! DEVOLVING? It is designed to do that!!! But them the demos work HARD @ it also. Given examples like Detriot, GREAT results !!!! INDEED!

    You have a thing about repeating what you clearly have already posted. Repeating hardly advances the discussion. Yet when asking for past clarity... IGNORED to cries of misinterpretations.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately, Sprinters weren't the context here, rather, the 42ft bus piloted by someone who can barely drive a Corolla. I'd wager the big boys consume more resources than a retirement village apartment. If all RVs were Sprinters and the like, it would be a better world.

    And from my experience, the new batch of retirees aren't really as hippy and environmentally sensitive as they want to appear - they act as entitled to their big houses and guzzlers as much as those who came before. Those who fought the system 40-50 years ago became the system.

    ruking1 said:



    Well the hippy dippy trippy days and compliance to using less resources might be giving rise to the next enviromental haters clubs !!! With RV's being WAY more mobil than being stuck in an apt that the enviromental jailers want to stick you into AND have you pay for, AND using WAY less resources than apt/house lodging, solar panels and batteries on an MB Sprinter can be an almost PERFECT scenario.

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    AND it is difficult for you to make the leap from BIG RV's with solar batteries and arrays to MB Sprinters? :'( That might explain some things?

    Thanks for repeating what I in effect said !! :(

    Off topic !!

    In regards to the diesel thread, sorry it is hard for you :'( But then given the less than 2.5% diesel cars PVF, evidently the majority of PVF owners share the persective ! @ least you lesed a US market BT.

    Making the shift to diesel in 2003 was an almost total no brainer, sans no wider spread of TDI product offerings. After 'vetting' the oem with the most TDI products (VW), and a $236 TDI premium, it was making a leap to VW that was the issue. Despite continued less than stellar overall ratings the anecdotal VW TDI's that I have are as reliable and durable as any highly rated Japanese oem. I dare say more so !!!
    did I expect that? NO !!! Is it a surprise? Pleasantly and economically SO !
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    And the repubs do it just as much. Making it a sad political distraction accomplishes nothing, when both sides are complete garbage. Examples like Detroit, or the rot seen in just as many red areas. The issue isn't the color, it's the rot, and that's the devolution. Ah, so much red

    You have a thing for turning discussions into the weird mess as seen in the diesel topic, with painful hard to decipher replies and strange arguments.
    Easy and normally WAY more costly ! DEVOLVING? It is designed to do that!!! But them the demos work HARD @ it also. Given examples like Detriot, GREAT results !!!! INDEED!

    You have a thing about repeating what you clearly have already posted.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 12,201
    Taught a left lane camper to move out of the left lane the other day (using the I'll out left lane camp you method). He fairly quickly moved right and accelerated, to which my immediate acceleration is an exclamation mark. This guy needed the lesson two times in a row. After that he maintained staying in the 2nd lane to the left for a couple minutes, after which I got tired of going only 5 to 10 over the SL and accelerated off to work in the morning. He moved into the left passing lane yet again on a 4-6 lane freeway (each direction).

    He was one of those "I'm going 5 to 10 over the speed limit and you're going to like it campers." He didn't like going 0 to 5 MPH over the Speed Limit (that's all it took to move him right), but he wouldn't get out of the way for 11-15 MPH over either (under-posted 65 MPH CA zone).
    '15 Audi S4 quattro AWD Prestige, '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD 2.0T, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    I don't understand -- why is the concept of having to increase pressure on the gas pedal when going up a hill is so foreign to many people? There are a few places on HWY 101 going north out of San Francisco where huge bottlenecks are created for this reason--no accident, no obstacles, just people slowing down more and more as they go up a grade.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015

    I don't understand -- why is the concept of having to increase pressure on the gas pedal when going up a hill is so foreign to many people? There are a few places on HWY 101 going north out of San Francisco where huge bottlenecks are created for this reason--no accident, no obstacles, just people slowing down more and more as they go up a grade.

    In response, with a prior post in mind, i just assume MOST folks will run an uphill moving road block.

    For the FEW that actually "keep right EXCEPT to pass," I salute YOU! Anecdotally I try to DO that in the real word. So I don't do near the saluting that should happen.

    One guess is higher rpm to get proper torque going uphill, aka don't like whiny rpm. Don't like to lose fuel mileage.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 12,201
    ruking1 said:

    I don't understand -- why is the concept of having to increase pressure on the gas pedal when going up a hill is so foreign to many people? There are a few places on HWY 101 going north out of San Francisco where huge bottlenecks are created for this reason--no accident, no obstacles, just people slowing down more and more as they go up a grade.

    In response, with a prior post in mind, i just assume MOST folks will run an uphill moving road block.

    For the FEW that actually "keep right EXCEPT to pass," I salute YOU! Anecdotally I try to DO that in the real word. So I don't do near the saluting that should happen.

    One guess is higher rpm to get proper torque going uphill, aka don't like whiny rpm. Don't like to lose fuel mileage.
    You will lose fuel mileage whether you go 10 MPH or 100 MPH up a hill. My money is on additional fuel being wasted if you slow down for an uphill incline, as you probably not only reduce your efficiency, but that of hundreds of others as well.

    This same problem described occurs on Interstate 5 just south AND north of Encinitas, CA. Also occurs regularly on the 52 East of the 15 heading in and out of Santee.
    '15 Audi S4 quattro AWD Prestige, '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD 2.0T, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2015
    From a diesel point of view, which is out swarmed by the 95% PLUS gasser population , that might not necessarily be true, given specifi goals and conditions. I can easiy pass 5 to 25 cars on an upgrade and @ altitude (normal baseline heading UP @ 7300 ft) They are used to operating their anchors UPGRADE and ...so am I . (if you get the drift.)
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Covered bridges and underpasses also slows down the parade. Why?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    edited May 2015
    Cruise control. The masses, in their endless quest to regress to a common mean, just don't get it. I'll zip up a hill at the same speed as on a flat - I can deal with spending 3 cents more on gas, thanks.

    Speaking of hills and speed, what gets me is when people slow at the bottom of a hill, and I am in my fintail - especially on slower suburban roads. If I don't keep up momentum and hit the ground running, it'll be a slow crawl at the top of some of the hills here.

    Euphonium has a point about bridges - and tunnels. Drive around Seattle to see traffic suddenly lose 10mph when dealing with the danger and uncertainty of a bridge or tunnel.
    andres3 said:



    You will lose fuel mileage whether you go 10 MPH or 100 MPH up a hill. My money is on additional fuel being wasted if you slow down for an uphill incline, as you probably not only reduce your efficiency, but that of hundreds of others as well.

    This same problem described occurs on Interstate 5 just south AND north of Encinitas, CA. Also occurs regularly on the 52 East of the 15 heading in and out of Santee.

  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,333
    One of those Berkeley Meter Maids just HATED tool trucks and you know how bad parking is there!
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 694
    fintail said:

    Cruise control. The masses, in their endless quest to regress to a common mean, just don't get it. I'll zip up a hill at the same speed as on a flat - I can deal with spending 3 cents more on gas, thanks.

    Speaking of hills and speed, what gets me is when people slow at the bottom of a hill, and I am in my fintail - especially on slower suburban roads. If I don't keep up momentum and hit the ground running, it'll be a slow crawl at the top of some of the hills here.

    Euphonium has a point about bridges - and tunnels. Drive around Seattle to see traffic suddenly lose 10mph when dealing with the danger and uncertainty of a bridge or tunnel.

    andres3 said:



    You will lose fuel mileage whether you go 10 MPH or 100 MPH up a hill. My money is on additional fuel being wasted if you slow down for an uphill incline, as you probably not only reduce your efficiency, but that of hundreds of others as well.

    This same problem described occurs on Interstate 5 just south AND north of Encinitas, CA. Also occurs regularly on the 52 East of the 15 heading in and out of Santee.

    I've never understood why when a semi goes to pass another, and is doing, say, 65 mph when he gets up to the truck being passed, will slow down to .0001 mph faster than the slower truck, and takes approx. 11 miles to finally complete the pass. And of course, he waits until you're RIGHT UP to him before he pulls out in front of you, even though you're going substantially faster, and have to slow down a LOT to not hit him...

    Maddening...

    :@
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 25,259
    slorenzen said:


    I've never understood why when a semi goes to pass another, and is doing, say, 65 mph when he gets up to the truck being passed, will slow down to .0001 mph faster than the slower truck, and takes approx. 11 miles to finally complete the pass.

    They shouldn't try to pass--fully agree.

    I've always believed it's due to the governors on the trucks and the fact one is not actually
    governed greater than the other by enough to correctly make a pass, but the driver goes
    for it.

    When the semi gets close to the tractor of the slower truck, the air blast that comes off
    the front of the leading truck hits the broad front of the passing truck, slowing it down
    with the air resistance. The governed engine won't make enough moxie to pull through
    the extra resistance, so it takes a slight downgrade or other helping factor to speed up
    the passing truck to complete the pass. Or the slower truck drops a little to let the
    offending truck get around.

    In a car, I can feel that blast of air when passing a semi. But I always notice it so much
    more when I'm driving a UHaul cargo van or their smallest box truck when I was
    around semis on I-70. I can imagine the force it puts on the bigger and broader
    front of a semi when it gets near the front of the slower semi.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,277
    In Germany, it is known as the "elefantenrennen" (elephant races) - even in the land where people usually take driving seriously, it happens, and is a huge gripe:

    image

    The whole pulling in front of upcoming traffic is extremely inconsiderate - they have mirrors.

    Reminds me of an incident I had this morning - I am cruising down a 40mph arterial at maybe 43mph, it's well before 0600, no traffic on the road I occupy, a Tundra pulls right in front of me from a side street turn lane, I change lanes to let him in, he then speeds up and matches my speed, I drop back as i have to turn soon (the road splits) and give him a flash - and he throws a fit. I end up passing him when the road splits (funny, once I drop back, he slows, what a coincidence) , he gives me the finger and flashes me. Gave me an exasperated laugh to start the day - entitlement knows no specific vehicle type.

    slorenzen said:


    I've never understood why when a semi goes to pass another, and is doing, say, 65 mph when he gets up to the truck being passed, will slow down to .0001 mph faster than the slower truck, and takes approx. 11 miles to finally complete the pass. And of course, he waits until you're RIGHT UP to him before he pulls out in front of you, even though you're going substantially faster, and have to slow down a LOT to not hit him...

    Maddening...

    :@

  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    ..."In Germany, it is known as the "elefantenrennen" (elephant races) - even in the land where people usually take driving seriously, it happens, and is a huge gripe:"...

    Elephant Races are what I have always called them.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 12,201
    I dislike when people slow down for a Highway Patrol Vehicle that is already emptied out with the officer at someone's window. Worse yet, sometimes this vehicle might be across a center median wall and can't possibly be interested in what's going on on the other side.

    There is no need to "pretend" to be driving near the speed limit at these locations, even briefly.
    '15 Audi S4 quattro AWD Prestige, '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD 2.0T, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,826
    From my anecdotal experiences, that seems to be a common occurrence.
Sign In or Register to comment.