Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Thank you for the clarification. I'm sure this is probably hush at the moment but is the "Edge" going to look more like the Aviator concept than the CX-7? Also, any guess as to planned timing? Are we talking early summer or more like Fall?

I am looking to get rid of our Audi A4 in the Fall, and if the Edge was so come out earlier in the summer then I could probably stretch the Audi ownership another 8 months. Though I do not like the idea of the maintenance on a six+ year old Audi :sick:

A Freestyle and an "Edge" could be a good companionship...
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The next round of auto shows will give you a glimpse on more of those specifics. The Aviator and CX-7 will be out for quite awhile before the "Edge" takes place. The Aviator debuts in spring, and will showcase (be the first vehicle) to use the new Duratec35. The "Edge" will be a bit higher riding than the Freestyle, think of it as a Pilot/Hiighlander offering, moreso than what the current Freestyle is. As for styling direction, think for of contemporary Explorer/Fusion angles, with some adcantgarde creases here and there.

It doesn't require that much investment for the 500 to spawn the Freestyle, while there's more initial investment for the "Edge" midsize SUV's program. Since more people are migrating into car-based SUV"s, it's best to have all your tracks covered and may the strongest offering, win. And this includes the Fairlane concept, which is a new approach at the conventional minivan segment.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,349
    when i saw the panic building on this thread, i thought this would be great time for you to step in and clarify, although i didn't know what the real story is. kudo's. etc... :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    It's like pouring Coke in a glass of cold ice and you see it's about to top over the brim, and the quicker you glance at it, the quicker you want to rush in suck it up, or move it off the table... Yes, that's my initial reaction. Although lately I've been a bit MIA....currently building a new house and it only allows me to jump in once or twice a day if any since it's taking up a bit of time to babysit the worksite.
  • Options
    shopperx8shopperx8 Member Posts: 8
    So Aviator is due out next Spring - So where does that put the Release of Meta-One? and which comes first, a refreshened Freestyle or the new Meta-One. Maybe ANT could drop a hint here also? thanks in advance
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I was faced with the same issues when I bought my SE. At the time I bought mine in 3/05, the salesman tried to put me in to a SEL at the time for $2800 more. My SE came with the Convenience Group and Traction Control. I prefer the black mirrors and door handles, it gives the car some additional contrasting colors on the exterior. I've always felt the half-color half-black mirrors looked a little funky. As far as the interior they are identical except the wrapped knob and wheel. As far as the message center, I guess I rarely get lost anymore, and there is already an indicator on the dash which lets you know how much fuel you have. Heated mirrors would be nice during a Minnesota winter, but I've got along without for 33 years of driving. The only thing I guess I would like is the upgraded stereo system. The best thing about the Freestyle is what they all have, style, plenty of interior room, a comfortable ride and the CVT.
  • Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    I wonder if the "Edge" would look like a knitcap-wearing guitarist for a well known Irish rock band? :shades:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The only other Edge comments I see around here are in reference to the Ford Ranger.

Have fun with the house ANT. :)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Again, Freestyle isn't dissapearing anytime soon. The media is just trying to justify why there's so many vehicles in the lineup.

Thanks for the clarification. That's good to hear because the way I am seeing it, the only other vehicle that comes close to the Freestyle is the Pacifica.
    My wife and I have a new child (1st) in the house and we need to move up in vehicle size from her current Subaru Impreza. My feeling is a minvan is a little too extreme just for one child and there just doesn't seem to be much out there for anything in between.
    She refuses to get in an SUV but would consider a minivan. The Freestyle fits right in the middle and would be perfect.
    (I'm really digging that fold-flat front seat for those lumber runs)
  • Options
    Nitro,
    And the fold forward front passenger seat as well, then again, I recently made a 12ft. long persian rug fit in a new Mustang. Handler felt so bad not wanting to even help positioning because he was afraid of scratching it. Unfortunately when there's a sale, you just can't plan ahead on a vehicle to take.

Shopper,
    That's still being worked out, mainly with the suppliers. Sometimes things can be delayed if there's workforce or contract issues. SO when it pertains to that, I don't like giving specifics since there might be a 80% error issue. The Mercury version still has some time to go. Ford will receive the glory of the Freestyle for quite awhile, then the "Edge" will steal it's momentum for many months, then the 3.5L Duratec will be introduced on the FS to gain it some momentum once again. Mercury will bank on that timing as well.

The FS benefits from a very sophisticated platform which allows to endure time with minimal changes to it's structure. It also exceeds future crash tests/roll over testing, that will be implemented in 2009. But with sophistication, you costs which are high for the D3 based vehicles. Which is where Lincoln steps in and be able to offset the initial costs for this platform investment. Let's remember when Jac Nasser was at the helm, he was wanting this platform to spawn the next generation Taurus, and economically, it was impossible to do so, so instead it was shifted another size/price class above.

The next Aviator, Cx-7 and "Edge" uses the CD3 architecture which is easier to modify, and therefore will post highe profits, than the D3 based vehicles.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Don't believe everything you read. 2008 is a long time off in the rapidly changing auto world. The suggestion of the phase out is troubling, even if it just means a change in name. I wonder if the American companies know what they are doing. In any case, que sera , sera. We intend to keep our FWD Limited for quite some time, that's why we bought the extended warranty. Granted, no one wants transmission trouble even with a warranty. I wonder how many dealers are replacing transmissions when they should be replacing just the solenoid mentioned in previous messages. Much more money from Ford if they replace the transmission. I scouted out the service dept. of my dealer and was taken back by how little they knew about the Freebie. Ours just gets better the more we drive it. If the little wrench icon lights up, i will be p---ed.
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I was wondering that myself. How many of these Freestyles left the lot (with their new owners) without getting the TSB updates done to the tranny's.

Could this be the reason why I'm still seeing CVT problems? Lack of dealer knowledge?
  • Options
    willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    ''Don't believe everything you read".

You're right, Amigo. Our Freebie AWD Limited is going to a cradle to grave proposition.Glad we got ANT14 to clarify the BS article and calm things down.Love the smoothness of the CVT and hope Ford has this steep learning curve to improve its reliability. They already have TSBs on driveability problems and PCM re-programming. I also agree that there are different grades of dealerships and in the qualifications/training of their service dept. personnel.

We did not buy the extended warranty as my wife being the principal driver does not put in high mileage and is a very conservative driver. I think we are quite well protected with 5 year powertrain warranty. We also went out of our way (50+miles) to a well established Blue Oval and Ford Preferred dealer with a very well equipped Body Shop & Service Dept. They also sell/service those Sterling trucks and other commercial vehicles. These people are much better qualified than our local shoe-string operated Ford dealer.

I am trying different excuses to drive the Freebie during this breaking in period.
    Haven't read the entire owners manual to get used to all the electronic multi-functions. I find the Index somewhat disorganized and difficult to find something specific without scanning through many pages and hopefully find out what you want. Either the procedure writers are getting lazier or maybe it's a case of the old dog not being able to learn new tricks.

A minor annoyance is the reflection of the top of the dashboard in the windshield on an overcast day and I'm also used to the gas filler door on the driver side.More important for me is that Ford should have included a cabin air filter to help alleviate my hay fever problem this time of the year.This feature is included in the Mazda6 wagon, so again this is a cheapskate decision by Ford when a cheaper family product has it. :P
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi,
    The bench seat appears to be the best option to install two car seats in the second row. I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have experience with a bench seat.

Specifically, I have the following questions:
    -Does the bench seat fold flat (just like the captians chair)?
    -For adults, how comfortable is a bench seat to sit on?

Thanks!
  • Options
    dave2222dave2222 Member Posts: 78
    ANT14,
    Aren't you worried that you're flooding the market with all these crossovers and suvs? Have you guys thought about the long term effects? How many do you really need? You have the Explorer, Expedition, Edge, EcoSport derived B-class "car"(aka crossover), Escape, and Freestyle. Is there any plans to trim Explorer production? I can only see demand falling for the Explorer not going up and if the Edge is competing against the Highlander (a main Explorer competitior) wouldnt it make sense to replace the Explorer with a two prong approach with the Freestyle and Edge?

A possible lineup
    Escape- fuel-concious consumers, but late 20's to mid 30's, still want that toughness
    Edge- a Crossover, fuel-concious, still has toughness to it, but doesnt have the stigma that suvs have, a little smaller then the explorer.
    Expedition- still wants the large size, fuel economy isnt the main concern, wants toughtness, reliability, 40 year old and older, lives in the south or midwest.
    Ecosport(well just call it that for now)- Lives in an urban area, likes the idea of having an suv for the size, but is limited by their budget and gas concerns, doesnt need the size of the escape, maybe is in a relationship, but no family as of yet. mid 20's to late 20's.

I think what you're saying ANT14 is that you're getting rid of the Explorer, just not actually coming out and saying it. The proof is in the pudding, youre replacing the Aviator with a crossover aviator, and it would be a logical conclusion to also assume since youre bringing a ford version of the aviator crossver, that you'll be replacing the Explorer. Or at least making the Explorer a smaller percentage of your sales portfolio. Hence you diversify your risk, smaller batches, very Zara business modelish. I dont see how the Explorer can support itself on a seperate platform. I suggest keeping the Explorer around for awhile, but maybe by 2011 phasing it out if gas prices continue to rise.
  • Options
    Ecosport Dimensions
    Height: 71.4in
    Width: 72.0in
    Length: 189.5in
    Wheelbase: 113.8in
    Weight:4400lbs

Escape Dimensions
    Height: 69.1in
    Width:70.1in
    Length: 173.0in
    Wheelbase:103in
    Weight: 3175lbs

So the escape is actually smaller, hmm..
    Whats the point of the EcoSport then ANT14? The EcoSport and the Escape are nearly indentical.

• Options
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,349
    the ecosport stats seem pretty much like explorer stats. the graphic seems more like an escape. don't like the tire hanging out back.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    The dimension you quoted are Explorer dimensions. Ecosport is much smaller and it's based on the Fiesta platform. A business case was first being analyzed to bring the Brazillian Ecosport over, but the Bahia plant isn't known for the best quality, and it's selling quite well in S.America, therefore it would require more reinvestment in the factory, to supply N.A. markets, that specific vehicle.

Also, some re-engineering would be required to make the vehicle pass U.S. safety regulations, and E.P.A. certifications.

Sooooo, why not introduce the next generation of the Ecosport instead? ON a modified Fiesta platform, codenamed B1. And instead of making the vehicle, what the Ecosport is (a mini SUV)... introduce a new concept, like the SYNus concept instead of the same 2 box design most SUV's have. Make it a "Lifestyle" vehicle. Not a vehicle that someone MUST buy because they can't afford something else, but one that will attract and show someones individuality.

Or as my bestfriend says "Just because I can't afford Saks's, doesn't mean I can't shop at their outlet store"...

The Explorer sales are purposely declining because the market has shifted. The Explorer will not be forgotten... since it introduced a family friendly vehicle that was welcomed by many consumers and retains it's #1 sales crown in it's segment since it's introduction. This is a vehicle that sold with hardly any rebates for a good 8 years

One Explorer factory is being closed and production will shift to just one factory to improve productivity. Instead of huge rebates, better to just close one factory and consolidate since sales are shifting to car-based SUV. Anyone who seriously needs a vehicle for hauling, will always have the Explorer to count on. And now for 2006, the new Explorer will be even more robust, yet sophisticated and car-like in it's demeanor.

Keeping around the Explorer doesn't hurt any since it's developmental and engineering costs have been amortized throughout all these years. In other words, it's another cash cow as is the Crown Vic. Why kill it, if your posting great profits on them. There are certain vehicle that at certain sales level, need to die... Well in this case, it'll take a sharp nose-drive to 50-70K sales to kill the product.

If you can offer a vehicle with minimal investment over it's stablement (like the 500/FS businesscase) why not just go ahead and add it. If you capture a certain percentage of buyers buying the product and still make it economincally feasable, it's better to at least keep them in the family, rather than have them go to the competitor where they might never return to your showroom again.

And that brings other points such as building halo vehicle that bring a buyer into the showroom, but walks out with another vehicle. You might have a guy and his wife come into the showroom because the guy is having a Mustang kick, and when reality hits in, he'll walk out with someone that they both like and willing to compromise over (although I'm not sure about you, but I don't compromise my buying purchase, no matter how many years of marriage I have with someone... there's some things you Do NOT persuade me in, and vehicle purchase is one of them---it's sacriligious) but in other peoples case, that's one example.

But I won't go into that....

The point is, you must cover all your bases, and if it requires minimal investments, then so be it. The market will become more fragmented and we'll reach a time (as it is now in Europe) where having 15% market share is quite a feat, and this is manily because of competition. So to succeed, you must adapt, foresee the future and prepare yourself.

And overall as an industry, I can tell you there's quite a bit of personal debt out there. IN the 90's we were spoiled with truck based SUV's, low cost of fuel (and still is relative to inflation which is currently increasing) and a strong employment market. Now there's 3-4 car owning families (just for 2 people), who are stuck in 1-2 hours of traffic, to get to their suburban homes (which they can only afford with an interest only loan), forgetting that property taxes are going up, they can't meet next years increases in escrow and rising house insurance, and one bad check and it's downhill from there.

Thererfore vehicles are another expediture that more consumers will research. Not just as an initial cost basis, but also future maintenence and running costs, and those issues need to be addressed for future customers. And the internet has made it valuable for people to gauge their options, and for manufacturer's to gauge their consumers.

In the case of the Freestyle, it's covering basis with minimal costs. At a later time if it's case bcomes redundant, maybe the strongest member within the family, win.
  • Options
    orangecrushorangecrush Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to decide on an extended warranty. My main concern is the transmission. I have looked at all the different transmission parts covered, but I am not a mechanic. Is there much difference in the coverage on the transmission on the different Ford ESP plans (Powertrain, Basecare, Extracare) to justify the extra cost?
  • Options
    bhill909bhill909 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to replace our faithful '98 Windstar, (170K and getting a bit shaky) so I dropped by our local dealer and test drove a Freestyle. Loved it, loved it, loved it, BUT, I need to know more about this new tranny. I have been bitten in the behind by being an early adopter of new technology before; where can I read more about this technology? Any stories, good or bad, would be apppreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Just finished a 950 mile trip from NC to Alabama in my brand new AWD Limited. Below are a few notes comparing it to the Toyota Highlander that I just trded in:

The 3.0 Duratec/CVT combination is great. Ford has done a great job of matching the two. Plenty of power when you need it and very, very smooth. It holds speed going up and down hills on the interstate by changing rpms regularly, but not noticeably. The Highlander would shift gears that would send rpms soaring all of a sudden - not so with FS.

It has a very comfortable ride and a very solid feel. Steering holds very steady on the highway, yet responsive on mountain roads. Highlander ride was also it's strong point, but FS is equal to it.

Got 24.0 mpg on the round trip per msg center. Highlander got 23.7 on same trip, but it was already "broken in".FS should do better with time.

The auto climate control, works great. Left the mountains at 55 degrees and arrived in Alabama in 90 degrees and never had to change a thing. Highlander auto climate control needed adjustments.

All in all it was a great ride and so far so good. There are some quircky things that bother me now, but maybe I'll be able to get used to them or figure them out.

The glare from windshiled is worse than the Highlander (mentioned earlier by someone else and I agree).

The message center is a little wierd. When you reset mpg it starts immediately computing the average with engine running so you don't know whether it really reset. The Higlander went to zero, then started to compute again. Also after a fill-up I reset the trip odometer then wanted to shift to mpg again - it wouldn't let me for a while. I set the cruise and then it allowed the change. Wierd!!

I haven't completely figured out how to set the rear climate control and who controls what. Don't know when the rear controls are active and when the front controls take charge. Maybe both work at the same time? Sometimes the msg the message "rear on" appears and sometime you get a bar. I'll have to experiment with somebody in the back to see what happens and when.

The CD changer is not as good as in Highlander or our Subaru Forester. We make copies of commercial CDs on our PC to keep in the car and they change normally in the the other cars. The FS will play the CD over and over again unless you move it manually to the next one. No skipping so far, though.

Finally, the owners manual needs some work. Hard to figure out and I have read many in my lifetime. It points out all the controls but no much info on logic of functions, eg, how auto climate works. Is recirc only set manually or will it work automatically, too? No mention anywhere of heated mirrors and how to turn them on. No info on breaking in the new vehicle. I know they don't need much break-in pampering anymore, but they could at least mention that.

We are very happy with the purchase and so far would recommend the FS. If it holds up as well as our Higfhlander did we have a winner and a much better buy!!
  • Options
    mas23mas23 Member Posts: 38
    "I would get the Camry checked out if your noticing the jerking more frequently. There's been a high warranty claim on Camry transmissions of the past few years which I believe is the Aisin unit. Usually they should shift seamlessly even under full throttle. I've already bumped into a few people who have had to have transmission replaced for their Camry's around the 50-70K mark."

Unfortunately I already had my Camry Transmission replaced at about 90,000 miles last year. I will probably bring it in for service to have a look before my 12 month warranty is over. Thanks for the heads up , ANT14.
  • Options
    tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    I've noticed the windshield glare, too. Especially bad when trying to drive into our garage. The wife already clipped the passenger-side mirror and broke the glass while backing out because of the extra width. Any after-market solution for the glare that anyone has experience with? I'm concerned about the transmission problem so I will check with the Ford dealer when I go in to pick up the plates. Other than that, we love the interior room and fold-down seats. My wife sat in the third-row seat all the way from Eugene, Oregon to Sacramento, Calif. and she didn't mind it at all. Five adults and a baby seat, no problem.
  • Options
    mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    I am working on the glare issue now.Just don't use Armor All or a polish on it.Maybe steel wool or a dulling chemical might help.Maybe an acrylic stain might work.I thought about a dash rug but I'd lose the storage box on the dash.
    lizzzard
  • Options
    mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone towed with thier Freestyle yet?I'm towing 2000# from Ohio to Texas this fall and am concerned with handling and MPG.
    thx,
    lizzzard
  • Options
    cmorristxcmorristx Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new vehicle. I had a PT cruiser and was very satisfied. It was totaled in a wreck. I have decided to look for something larger. I have 3 kids and 4 grandkids, so I always have extra with me. I really need the 7 seater. I sit short and can not see out of a mini van well. I have looked at a Freestyle and can see out of them well and they have enough room, but the price is out of range by a little bit. I have not tried the Pacifica yet, but plan to this weekend. I have even thought about buying a used car to see if the prices come down and buy something new in a year or so. What are the advantage/disadvantages between the two? :confuse:
  • Options
    "Ford Motor Company last week said it would offer rebates for the first time on several new-for-2005 models, including $1,000 cash back on the Five Hundred and Montego sedans and the Freestyle wagon."

Ford Offers Rebates on Newest Models (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Pacifica can only hold 6 and it costs more than the freestyle.
  • Options
    Plus the freestyle has a lot more space behind the 3rd row and more space overall inside. The pacific on the other hand looks fancier on the inside.
  • Options
    dgulinodgulino Member Posts: 38
    I just (two days ago) bought a new Freestyle and cannot activate the keyless entry system because I don't have the factory code. The owner's manual says it should be on a "wallet card in the glovebox," but there was nothing like that in my glovebox, or "marked on the computer module." Unfortunately for me, it doesn't say where the computer module is.

I called the dealer, and they couldn't schedule me into the service department for several days. Apparently they think they have to hook the car TO the computer--they don't seem to realize that the manual says that the code is MARKED ON the computer. Anyway, I thought if somebody could tell me where the computer module is located, I could avoid having to take it in at all.

Thanks.
  • Options
    cdndriver2cdndriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Sure. I'll give you some info. Someone else provided a link to a site explaining the CVT transmission and here it is -> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm. I'm not good with pasting web links but trust me this site exists. The site is pretty good and shows a working model of CVT to get the point across.
    After reading about the CVT you'll learn that it's been around for a long time. It's just not been applied to big engines - until lately. With tech advances such as special lubricants and software the CVT was deemed ready for bigger engines.
    I decided to take a chance on this transmission in the Freestyle for the following reasons:
    1. I pull nothing. I think that CVT's are not good 'pullers' . You'll notice Ford does not offer a hitch as an option and the quoted FS pulling capacity is not in Explorer territory.
    2. I reckon that if I encounter problems, it will be within the warranty period.
    3. The CVT has been in cars for years in Europe so minor glitches are already worked out.

Having said this, I have read notes in this forum about some pretty unhappy people who have had problems and I can't ignore that. The sense is that it is software and so the mechanics are ok. Time will tell.

So far ... my FS has been flawless ... well I had a flat tire. Ford has put big money on this vehicle and they can't afford to lose future customers.

Oh ... and I read about suspicions that Freestyle nameplate may be phased out in the future but do not trust ALL that I read. The Chevy Vega was "Car of the Year" at one time too.
  • Options
    freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    Just paid $65 for a replacement fog lamp assembly. I was washing my car and noticed that the lens on my fog lamp was busted--guess I hit something on the road. They don't sell the bulbs and lenses separately, so.... shoot, I've never even used them. I live on the coast so our June Gloom is settling in so I guess I better fix it.
    The rear power point is dead, all the others are working. Is there any easy fix or something I could jiggle/check before I take it into the black hole of the dealer? I hate to pay for a rental for those guys to take three days to diagnose/order parts/fix it if I don't really have to.
    14,000 miles and still loving the Freestyle. I've actually seen a couple here on the coast in the last week or so.
  • Options
    FSG:" I hate to pay for a rental for those guys to take three days to diagnose/order parts/fix it if I don't really have to. "

Tough luck on that broken fog lamp. I have folks in the S.F. Bay Area and I know what it's like to drive there in the night at this time of the year.I also have friends in Pacifica and that area is notorious for heavy fog.

Don't know who your dealer is but I remember I had pretty good service from a couple of Ford dealers, one in Serramonte Blvd and the other in El Camino south of Tanforan shopping center a few years ago with my old Ford F-150.The service advisor helped to install a PCV valve in an awkward location and I only paid a nominal cost for the part.

Looks like you're the FS long distance champ and a good testimonial for the reliability of the CVT ( my only concern). So far I've seen only ONE other Freebie in the B.C. westcoast and coincidentally it was on the same day we were driving to our dealer to take delivery on ours.Our Freebie is very lonely but we love it. :)
  • Options
    It sounds like your salesperson let you down. Mine walked me through the zippered pouch with the Owner's manual, Maintenance manual, and the card with the factory access code. He explained how the keys worked. If I put this pouch with the manuals into the glove box, then technically, the code card is in the glove box.

One could wait for the service department, but I would go back to the salesperson directly and have them recheck the dealer folder which held the order sheet, keys, and most likely, the code card to your Freebie. If your salesperson is not in, go directly to the sales "tower" and get the sales manager's attention. Finding the code should not be your issue. :shades:

P.S., there are multiple computer modules in your Freebie. Need more data...
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The wallet card with the code was in a plastic pouch that the salesman had to cut in order to get the keys, FOBs, etc out. I agree, call the salesman and tell him he should have given it to you and get him to figure it out without having to bring you car in.
  • Options
    orangecrushorangecrush Member Posts: 4
    They didn't put my card in either. Just call the dealership - they can look up the access number and give it to you over the phone. When I called they said it is usually sent by them with the paperwork.
  • Options
    dgulinodgulino Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for all the advice. I stopped in this morning, and they didn't seem to have any way of getting the code without hooking the car up to their diagnostic equipment, which I've an appointment for next week. The salesman told me that they've had to do this before to get the code. It does seem to me to be overkill to have to make a service appointment to obtain something that should have been given to me without my having to ask when I took the car home originally.
  • Options
    I have commented on the Pacifica-Freestyle issue before, but I will do it again since I have driven both several times. The Pacifica is wider and this was an issue for our garage. The Pacifica is a fine highway vehicle, but feels somewhat clumsy and not much fun in city driving. Visibility is better in the Freestyle. The interior of the Pacifica is more upscale, but the Ford has better flexibility. The Pacifica has a more powerful engine, but weighs more and is therefore a little slower in acceleration tests. I prefer the cvt in the Ford since it provides seamless performance. Exterior looks? Take your choice. Rebates? More off on the Pacifica. The best bargain in the Pacifica line is the base model. Would I go back and get a Pacifica instead of the the Ford? No. Look, drive, put in your garage. Then decide.
  • Options
    I have been researching all sites for reports of transmission problems with the Freestyle. So far, I haven't found one report of a transmission problem with a FWD model, but quite a few with AWD. Of course, i don't know if this is a factor or if all problems have been reported. Any evidence on this issue? And no, I am not trying to dig it in just because I have a FWD.
  • Options
    Has anyone used a leather conditioner on their Freestyle yet? What is a good recommended product to use . I'm trying to avoid some of the greasy/oily stuff that will also give you a good butt shine. ;)
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    If everyone out there felt a chill go up their spine around 1:00 this afternoon it was because my garage door came down on my rear hatch and gouged the paint. I was vacuuming the interior after my weekly wash and as I've done dozens of times left the hatch open until I finished. The cottonwood trees have been shedding their seeds so I was vacuuming the ceiling and behind the visor when I must have hit the door opener switch. The curved bar which attaches the door to the chain struck the hatch just below the window gouging down to the primer a three eights inch gash. It continued down the door and over the bump out above the license plate. Luckily it only left a scrape for the most part. After rubbing compound then wax, and more rubbing compound and wax, and more rubbing compound and wax I got most of the scratch out. As for the gouge, I have a tube of factory color (Redfire Metallic) and a detail brush, and will attempt to fill the gouge with multiple applications. Unfortunately like all touch up tubes the paint doesn't match perfectly. I wanted to cry!! Time will heal my pain, but for now, every time I open the rear hatch I'll be reminded of that fateful day.
  • Options
    Check out Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors. Lexol is big around here; at least it's easy to find, probably because this is big horse country.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    maxdrawmaxdraw Member Posts: 21
    I am finally ready to order a Freestyle and I'm still not sure if I should get the 2nd row bucket seats or the 60/40 bench. When I do have 2nd row passengers they will be my parents (79 and 85) so comfort is important. The other 95% of the time I will be configuring the seats to haul around bulky things. I like the 60/40 bench the most for this because when it folds it is flat with no gaps. The buckets fold flat and the console flips forward to create a flat surface, but I'm not sure how durable or efficient this is with either heavy or small items. I plan on ordering a Limited, so the bucket seats would adjust front to back for leg room, but if the bench is set back as far as the buckets in their furthest back position I would consider this a non issue. I vacillate back and forth on this. Do any of you have any advise based on your experiences? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I like using Meguiar's, which I find at Target. I buy the wipes, and when I wipe down my leather interior (not in a Freestyle- I wished I had a Freestyle) its not too glossy but kinda slippery.

The bottle says use a terry cloth afterwards to buff off the extra conditioner for "a low-shine interior"
  • Options
    I use Mequiar's Gold Class since it does not shine or change the original appearance. I am also looking for some sort of dash cover to reduce shine in the windshield.
  • Options
    We had the same debate when ordering our Limited. There is no question that the 2nd row buckets are more comfortable and look better, and the arm rest on the console helps. I have something to place over the folded forward console cover to create a more secure flat surface for cargo. If you are more concerned about passengers, go with the buckets.
  • Options
    funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    After a lot of research, I finally purchased a gold AWD Limited (sunroof, safety package and reverse sensing). After 3 days of ownership, I am quite pleased. The Ford dealership gave a great deal, good turn-in value, and with 0% interest for 60 months from FMC, how can anyone go wrong! For piece of mind I went with a Ford ESP extended warranty. The interior and control placements remind me of a previous VW Passat GLX I owned, which means very nice!

I read about the debate of getting buckets or bench for the 2nd row seats -- I thought initially I wanted the buckets, but after thinking about how I use the back seat, I got the bench -- when I have to carry 5 people, I can still leave the 3rd row flat to carry luggage, etc. and when folding the 2nd row seats you seem to get a more solid cargo floor.

I do have some questions:

Have other owners going from an SUV to the Freestyle seen their insurance go up? Mine went up $240 a year! Yicks!

I have read the owner's manual, twice, and their is no mention of how to turn on the "heat" to the outside heated mirrors. I assume they are turned on with the Rear Window Defroster.

Does the Freestyle have electronic brakeforce distribution? I don't see it mentioned in the manual or window sticker, but I seem to remember seeing it somewhere?

You hardly see Freestyles on the road here in central New Hampshire, but I am sure I will in the future!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new Freestyle! In answer to a couple of your questions,
    1) the heated mirrors do turn on when the rear defroster is turned on.
    2) The Freestyle does have electronic brakeforce distribution. I think I saw it in the brochure for the Freebie.

If you can't find the lumbar support control, or the second (of three) power ports, let us know. :shades:
  • Options
    I have the 2nd row bench and for me, sitting up front in the buckets or the 2nd row bench isn't much different. A little more comfortable, but not too big. And your older parents might be more comfortable being able to sit side by side in a bench, since that's how all cars of old used to be! Plus the 2nd row even in the middle is big, and it's easier to converse with the front row if you're in the middle. Plus look at how much stuff you're going to put in the second row console.

I wish the 2nd row had a center armrest that could come down, but I'd still rather have the bench. Actually, I wish the 3rd row couldn't have been made just a few inches wider (if you look back there, it seems like getting another few inches would not have been a problem), so you could put 3 kids in the 3rd row. And my real wish list would have made the first row like the Taurus, where it's a bench with a big armrest in the middle, so with all of my dreams incorporated you could hold 9 in this car if you had to, but 6 with an armrest for everyone.