Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,126
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Our 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster needs some snow. The plan is to drive north. But the SLS's ultra-sticky Continental summer tires will need to be replaced if we're going to make it there and back alive. So I ordered some winter tires for the Benz from TireRack.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sharpendsharpend Posts: 177
    What exactly is the point of driving a car out of its element?

It's like driving a minivan during a track day. Sure you can do it but WHY?

Essentially no SLS AMG roadster owners would spend close to 2 grand just do drive around in the snow. They are smarter than that, they would simply drive a car better suited for those driving conditions.

Then again, any company that would SHUT DOWN an award-winning website like Inside Line and replace it with this piss-poor 'improvement' doesn't make many good decisions.
  • fordson1fordson1 Posts: 1,512
    Didn't they already drive the Jag to Alaska? So basically this has been done.

And just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
  • inter tires are probably overkill i would have got continental DWS. Brand new they carve through snow as good as any winter tire the winter tire will perform better as miles get piled on but i guess if you arent concerned about performance on plowed/paved roads and just want to maximize your chances of not being stuck then the winter tires will do. (side note $486! ouch!) plan on calling roadside assistance and waiting a while! also it would be great if you guys kept the raptor as a work truck because you could have somone follow you around in it to pull you out if you do eventually get stuck!
  • I don't disagree with this decision. Granted, there are MUCH better cars to take on a snowy road trip, but I can definitely see how an owner (who loves driving his awesome car) would want to spend time with it on a road trip. Being equipped for the conditions seems like a logical next step. I do expect to get a "These snow tires don't handle like our summer ones do" article soon though.... No offense to the writers/editors of course, it's just that you guys have a bad track record for tire decisions.
  • I just bought a set of these 235-35-19 and 295-30 19 for my Porsche C2S, I think you are going to like these very much! Look forward to your updates.