Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Our 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster needs some snow. The plan is to drive north. But the SLS's ultra-sticky Continental summer tires will need to be replaced if we're going to make it there and back alive. So I ordered some winter tires for the Benz from TireRack.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    What exactly is the point of driving a car out of its element?

It's like driving a minivan during a track day. Sure you can do it but WHY?

Essentially no SLS AMG roadster owners would spend close to 2 grand just do drive around in the snow. They are smarter than that, they would simply drive a car better suited for those driving conditions.

Then again, any company that would SHUT DOWN an award-winning website like Inside Line and replace it with this piss-poor 'improvement' doesn't make many good decisions.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Didn't they already drive the Jag to Alaska? So basically this has been done.

And just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    inter tires are probably overkill i would have got continental DWS. Brand new they carve through snow as good as any winter tire the winter tire will perform better as miles get piled on but i guess if you arent concerned about performance on plowed/paved roads and just want to maximize your chances of not being stuck then the winter tires will do. (side note $486! ouch!) plan on calling roadside assistance and waiting a while! also it would be great if you guys kept the raptor as a work truck because you could have somone follow you around in it to pull you out if you do eventually get stuck!
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I don't disagree with this decision. Granted, there are MUCH better cars to take on a snowy road trip, but I can definitely see how an owner (who loves driving his awesome car) would want to spend time with it on a road trip. Being equipped for the conditions seems like a logical next step. I do expect to get a "These snow tires don't handle like our summer ones do" article soon though.... No offense to the writers/editors of course, it's just that you guys have a bad track record for tire decisions.
  • Options
    al2travelal2travel Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a set of these 235-35-19 and 295-30 19 for my Porsche C2S, I think you are going to like these very much! Look forward to your updates.