Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

give your opinion why ford F series trucks are the #1 vehicle sold in the world.

white250white250 Member Posts: 68
I have had a chevy & dodge but, nothing tops ford in style , function , versatility , quality & price.

Comments

• hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    A lot of people haven't owned one yet! POS!!!
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Owned '83 F150 Long Bed 5.0, '94 F150 Long Bed 5.0. These were most trouble free trucks. Have also owned Chevy, GMC full size and minis, 3 S10s, 1 Ranger and assorted imports and domestics since 1961. No Dodge trucks though. Currently own a trouble free 2000 C2500 5.7. Maybe because it is a 3/4 ton with all the extras (IE radiator cooler, tranny cooler, HD this and that.) BTW my Ford F150's all went beyond 150,000 mi. before i sold them. They are probably still running. I am loyal to none. If i like a certain vehicle, i may check it out thoroughly and buy it.
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    go to any racetrack and see how many FORD truck are pulling trailers with chevy race cars.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    I bet those #1 figures have something to do with fleet sales. Whether this is based on quality or the company's ability to attract large contracts I do not know. Anyone know what percent of F series sales are personal vs. business/corporate?
  • buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    for the diverse field of pickup buyers.If you need a work truck get an F150XL with a stick and air and manual 4WD.If you need a personal vehicle that doubles as a hauler get an F150 XLT supercab with an auto and lots of power accessories.If you need a do everything truck all of the time and have a family....get an F150 Supercrew and go to work,shoprite and a wedding or home depot on weekends.The diverse configuration available of this generation of F150s really has no current equal,when you factor in the initial value and the resale/trade equity after 3-5 years.Chrysler vehicles always take a beating on trade /resale-it seems they just cant shake the third place image even after 30 years or so.In the late fifties and sixties a Chrysler sedan was an upscale vehicle.But a Dodge truck was just a horibble steering bad riding crappy feeling vehicle..General motors made some great pickups since the seventies and into the eighties,theres no denying that anywhere.So did Ford during that period of time.The 5.0 and 5.8 motors with Jack Roush developing( and blowing some up) taught Ford how to make them right.Enter the late nineties and thats where the gap widens.Gm sold on its prior reputation-I bought one-but it had some quirks that plagues the new Gm trucks to this day,some by poor design,some by poor workmanship-(Knocking engines,rear door glass that pops out,doors that are welded and dont shut right?).The Ford redesign had a better head start and the Triton motors did double duty in Police and Fleet cars and evolved into the great engines they are today.Gm stopped making Caprice Police cars and really only continued to develop the old 350 for Corvette and Gm F body cars (Camaro/Firebird).Chrysler took a stab at this truck thing again but with its rough running, gas guzzling unreliable 360 as its big engine.Not to mention a real ugly dashboard for the new Dodge truck.I was taught by my father that the pecking order 40 years ago was Gm first,then Ford then Dodge.Things have certainly changed over 4 decades and I hope we see more competition amongst the big 3 so as to bring more value to us consumers.No matter what manufacterer it comes from,if its a better product value we all win.Peace to all.
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    Because most trucks are used as a second car & part time truck, Ranger, F150 are not really workhorses and that is what they sell the most of. To me a TRUCK has to be a HD 3/4 ton -- 1 ton-- or larger to be a real truck. I have a 2500HD 4x4 ext cab & 2-F350 dooley's & they are used as TRUCK'S not daily people haulers.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    awful lot of folks out there who don't care what truck they drive. So they stick with Ford year after year after year.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Fords are the most versatile line of trucks out there. You can get anything from a $15,000 or less stripper or a $40,000 one ton that will pull mountains and absolutely everything in between. I think that is what allows the f-series to sell so many. Ford does not rule in power or little gadgets but they rule in FUNCTION.
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    yep, no one competes with them. and no one ever will either. gm's are getting better, but not even close to the super-duty or F150. if there is a tough load to haul or tow, you can bet a super-duty will be pulling or hauling it. gm's also have reliability and quality issues that are in question. how long has that s10 chassis been around anyway? 1982?
    Like I have said before go to the race track and see how many Chevy racers have a FORD truck to pull their race car.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    in many mags......if you want a quick, good-looking Sport Truck buy a Chevy. If you want a work truck buy a Ford.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    UMMM .... I think ford has the "quick, good-looking sport truck" that no other can beat, its called the Lighting..... I think ford has got the truck market covered on all sides. GM & dodge are lacking behind.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Topped by GM in 2001, and continuing in 2002

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolpu.asp

(Must be a few Blue Oval defectors in the ranks!)

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Ford still outsells them chevy ones. It's when you COMBINE the GMC line you'll come out ahead. Good luck..............never mind.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Went to the site you listed. F-series outsells the Shakerados. Sorry to burst your bubble.

F-series - 55370
    Shakerados - 51,184
    I'll give you a chance to delete before quad bags on you ............again. His post stated "GM" which is GMC and chevy combined.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Well - I guess that Quad could throw in the S-10 and the Ava-lose-my-lunch also. But we are comparing brands - aren't we?

It is funny how GM zealots try to play with the numbers.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    When you kept slamming the Silverado after the Edmunds long term test, did you care that it was really a GMC? Seems like double standards to me...
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    I'll admit right up front that I like GMCs over Fords. But, I'll admit without bias, that Ford trucks are the real work horses. I stated many moons ago a FACT that the oilfield uses mostly Ford trucks because they will not overheat while running for 24 - 72 hours (downhole cement jobs) like other makes do. They are tough. But I still prefer a GMC/Chevy for my daily commuter.
    that's a weird admission and theory.
  • gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    You know the animal the Lemming. That's it, it's the same kinda deal as that!
  • 99fcas99fcas Member Posts: 3
    For the record, I drive an F150 SuperCrew. And it is not used as a "work truck", but as a versatile suburban hauler. I can drive around white collar clients on leather seats with a choice of air conditioning or an open sunroof. I can take three kids to Grammas house for Christmas and bring back a truckload of toys. And I can haul sand or dirt and other gardening supplies with aplomb. I can also pull a 28 foot travel trailer for summer camping.

When push cam to shove, my Ford was cheaper than other models that could claim to do all of the above.

Also for the record, I am of the opinion that Ford people and Chevy people should put away their historic fueding and concentrate on the real opponents: Toyota people and Honda people. I hate those window stickers with the little brat boy pissin on a bow tie or a blue oval.

I bought a Ford truck for its overall good blend of power, size, and reasonable price (in comparison to other makes). The runner-up was a Chevy: I would have bought an Avalanche except that, well, it truly is a little too goofy looking and being a new model, it was commanding a little higher price than my Supercrew. If they had only shown some restraint on the plastic cladding inside and out, and priced it a little lower I might have bought one.

I admire what Dodge has done with its truck lineup the last 7 years, but their engines are a notch below the Ford Tritons and the Chevy V8's.
    The backseat of the quad cab is also small as the size of the Ford SuperCAB's rear seat, and nowhere near the size of my SuperCREW's.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >I hate those window stickers with the little brat boy pissin on a bow tie or a blue oval.<

I agree. Ford, Dodge and G.M. have made good progress recently. The Ford Triton 5.4L recently replaced the Tundra 4.7L on the Wards Auto 10 best engines list. The G.M. Duramax 6.6L diesel made the 10 best list for the second year in a row. Dodge upgraded their 1/2 ton truck with 4 wheel disc brakes. Ford Supercrew was well designed from the beginning. But Chevy Avalanche, while perhaps overstyled, has managed to make its "change for a dollar" features work without rattles and leaks...no small feat.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    In calander year 2001 F series did sell the most of any brand, but the Superduty is not the same truck as the F-150, so combining them is like combining GMC and Chevrolet.

2001 sale totals rounded to a thousand:

1. Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 465,000, not including 2500 & 3500 or GMC.

2. Ford Superduty_________ 390,000, all F-250 or larger

3. Ford F-150 ____________ 346,000

Source http://forbes.com/2002/02/04/0204flint.html

Harry

but you're wrongo bud. gm tried, but still didn't succeed. read the article if you want. last time i checked, forbes wasn't an auto site, as you so evidently proved.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/ford25.html

make sure you notice all the milestones and innovations the F-series set and started.

one more thing, this came from your article:
    "It's always worth taking a closer look at the numbers".
    looks like they forgot to do that- what number is this- 11,0000?
    looks like forbes has beef with ford. even so, ford still outsold gm in trucks any way you look at it. a sale is a sale bud. keep trying though my man.

Straight from gm & ford....

F series sales 911,597

All full size chevrolet trucks including the avalanche is 769,006

Lets keep the "apples to apples" easy... next you are gonna want to break down sales figures according to options on the trucks.
    Cut to the chase: GMC/Chevy trucks have a more classy, subdued fascade than the Fords do: That is the main reason that I prefer the GMC line. Kinda like why someone would buy a Jaguar or an Alfa Romeo Spider. You KNOW that it is not going to have the reliablilty of a Honda or Toyota, but man, what a classy look it has. And sometimes the feeling of driving what you want is enough. . . without being analytical or over-zealous in defending why you bought it. Get my point?
    If anyone is being " analytical or over-zealous in defending why you bought it " its you !!!

Look at what this dicussion is about ---- FORD'S

And you come in here to "defend" your prefence to gmc/chevy trucks.

You chevy guys crack me up..... lol
    I doubt this will have much sales impact, but I sense a disappointing trend in Ford design. One thing I like about Ford trucks is the noticeable difference in their truck series, apart from obvious size differences. This is unlike GM, Dodge, and Toyota in my mind, since their different trucks just look like shrunken/expanded versions of each other. But if the new Explorer and Expidition models I have seen are an indication, Ford is blurring the lines between Ranger and F-150 appearance. I hope they keep the Super Duty series as is.
  • mrb11mrb11 Member Posts: 58
    Ford Truck......Ugly...Look like Dodge
    Ford Truck power plants....Dogs
    Ford Truck ride......Like Sherman tank
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Not Ford fan I take it. Sorry.
    Ummmmm let me guess, you drive a chevy ?
    That explains your ignorance !!
    this (fill in the blank) hasn't heard of a power-stroke or a super-duty. mrb11, go to a horse show and see how many ford trucks there are hooked up to horse trailers. then tell me ford trucks are dogs. ignorance is an inherited trait. you must have an extended family.
    Obviously, no matter what anyone says, there are the contrarians who yearn to criticize or inject confrontational reply. So be it. Therefore, I declare this excellence for everything month.

Fords are great.
    Chevys are great.
    GMCs are great.
    Toyotas are great.
    Nissans are great.

Did I leave anyone out? If I did, then your choice of trucks is great, too. These are all perfect examples of motion with no flaws. They will go forever and get near perfect gas mileage.

Let the critical fodder begin.
    Forget about horse shows. Go to an auto race track and see how many CHEVY racers have a FORD truck to pull their race car
    Check this out...
    In this Pickups section of Town Hall, look at the discussions for:

F-Series problems -- 144 posts.
    Chevy Silverado problems -- 1998 posts (!)
    *And another 58 posts under Silverado vibrations.
    Tundra -- 687 posts.

Now click on each one, and notice that all three were started the same month, December 2000.

Maybe there are more specific headings that Ford owners list their gripes under, but that looks like an impressive difference.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Ford did the research - many men must get approval from the wife before they can buy a new truck. Ford designed the F-150 to target women buyer/desision makers. Men want a new truck, and will settle on the F-150 to make the wife happy.

BTW - GM sells more full size trucks than Ford -and before anyone gives me the BS about - Under one brand name - please save it - that sounds like something a Tundra owner would say. The GMC and Chevy full size are much more alike than the F-150 and the SuperDuty. How in the world can anyone consider those two trucks the same vehicle?

Before anyone gets to excited - If I was looking for a 3/4 ton I would put the Superduty at the top of my list of trucks to test.
    I have noticed the same thing. Ummmmm very interesting....lol
    The # of post don't mean more problems, it means there are more people talking & alot of the post are just BS'ing. I can't believe you guys are that ignorant. And yes I own 2000 Tahoe LS, 2001 2500HD LS 4x4 ext.cab but I also own 2 Ford F350 dully Service trucks.

Just to prove my point I went into 2001 Silverado VIBRATION & out of 58 post there are 4 guys with a problem & 54 post giving opinions.
    I just read the first 60 posts in Ford F-series Problems & there are 7-guys with Tranny problems in that first 60 posts. And 12 people with some type of problem in that same first 60 posts. Humm
    The Wal-Marts, K-Marts and Targets are the biggest retailers in this country. Because they sell the most does that mean they have the best product?? Don't think so!!
    Do you own one? Ever owned one? Probably not.
    Before I sprung 30 grand on PSD, I talked trucks with anybody willing to talk. The GM/Chev guys all liked their rigs but many seemed to have engine, brake, or tranny problems. One guy, a Chev owner, goes through front brakes every 2k miles and has no idea why. At the same time he'd just had top end work done to the tune of $900, less than 70k miles. Yet, he still likes his Z-71. I'd be highly pissed. Dodge guys were having tranny and differential problems, the Cummins was rock solid.

Make no mistake, I was willing to buy something better if it existed. My questions went across the nation to family and friends, who asked their family and friends. Not a single conversation led me to believe Ford was not the best choice. Knowing that ford has always worked for me and many others, the decision was finally made, stay Ford. Every PSD owner I talked too would buy it again.

This isn't one upsmanship "MINES BETTER THAN YOURS." I could care less about that attitude. Did the home work, gave them all a chance. Saw absolutely no reason to change. Time will tell how it works out.

Finally, I'm not sure the conversation numbers have much meaning, but possibly an indicator. Personal discussions carried far to much weight to ignore.
    Never owned a Ford pickup. After experiencing the poor quality of the Explorer and the full size Bronco I didn't want to take my chances on a Ford pickup. Has the Ford quality improved since 1995??
    That would be "EXPLODER." When those were the hot new rig my wife was interested as a potential replacement for a Subaru Turbo wagon. Explorer being a rebodied Ranger at the time, we waited and bought a new Outback. Same reason too, Subaru just flat works for her, why change. Already had a Ranger and couldn't see buying another. The Ranger was just fine though, did what I bought it for with just a couple problems.

Know absolutely nothing about the full size Bronco. Last rig was a '92 F-150 so I had serious catching up to do deciding what to spend my hard earned money on. I'd whine everytime the o2 sensor would fail, about every 30k miles. Only major expense was new exhaust. At 150k miles it needed engine work and a new clutch, lots of them did. I opted to buy new rather than invest 5 grand in a nine year old truck. The PSD runs circles around the f-150, albeit a bit slower.

After 16 months I still like the PSD, not a single problem. But 16 months is just not long enough to really know much. Need this thing to last, can't shell out 30k very often.
    Only time will tell if it was worth it.
    It's nice to own a ford, because I have nothing to "prove" like all you chevy guys. Ford is not #1 for no reason. As for your big chain retailers, people shop there because they always have the products there that fit your needs at the price, service and quality that can not be beat. People just don't buy a ford becuase it says so on the front of it.
    In fact remarks made by many were:

Dodge = frequent repairs to everything except the engine. Engine being Cummins.

GM = Ladies Truck with soft cushy ride.

Ford = real work truck. 3/4 ton that is.

Obviously any of these could be arguable. After all, we all have our own preferences based on experience, likes, and dislikes.

I sure don't mind the stiffer F-250 ride, afterall it's a truck. Surprisingly the straight axle handles, corners, and drives real well. Do believe the accountants have cheapened the XLT package.

Cummins does get better fuel mileage by possibly by as much as three or four miles per gallon.

Show a real reason to change. Facts, not unfounded opinions. Hopefully we'd all take notice. Know I would.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    GM soft cushy ride:
    So true, my Father in-law wanted a new truck, and my Mother in-law said the Chevy was so much softer ride than the Ford.

I gave him a hard time about buying his Chevy. He pointed out why he liked his better.
    Nicer interior, bigger cab (that reads less bed), lower step in heigth. So its not for hauling, I said.

Then he popped the hood and asked me if mine had the battery isolation terminals. I said no, I guess Ford didn't figure I would be needing to get jump started.

I own a 99 F250 and am currently waiting on my new 02 F250 to come in. Looked at the new Chevy, won't consider Dodge. Still the facts as stated to me are Chevy is still not the work horse "TRUCK" that they claim to be.
    Yeah, but did you go through all TWO THOUSAND Silverado posts? No, I didn't either. And no wonder there are plenty of opinions to offer about the vibrations. There's plenty of experience out there.

Read the title of my post, everhart. I admitted it wasn't scientific. But I'm glad you found it interesting enough to investigate. Yep, I'm a real ig-no-ra-moos. Hard to believe I made it through medical school.

Glad you own two Chevy's. Odds are that on any given day at least one of them will be able to get you to work.
    McDonalds sells the most burgers..... they must have the best burgers (yeah right)

Gallo sells the most wine.....they must have the best wine (yeah right)

Bud sells the most beer .....they must have the best beer (yeah right)

Dominos sells the most pizza.....they must have the best pizza (yeah right)

Ford sells the most trucks.....get the picture??
    McDonalds sells the most burgers..... they must have the best burgers (yeah right)

Gallo sells the most wine.....they must have the best wine (yeah right)

Bud sells the most beer .....they must have the best beer (yeah right)

Dominos sells the most pizza.....they must have the best pizza (yeah right)

Ford sells the most trucks.....get the picture??

Yup, Micky D's might have the best burger....for the $$$$. $1 Big Macs rock.

Gallo wine. I don't know about them. But again, for the $$$$ it probably fugs you up as good as Rothchilds(sp?) for hundreds less.

Bud. Don't like beer. But again for the$$$$ they must be doing something right.

Dominos??? Don't know how people eat that crap.

The point is if something outsells something in the same class/price range, there must be a reason.
This discussion has been closed.