Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette: A Historical Look at Corvette Performance

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,126
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette: A Historical Look at Corvette Performance

In the history of the Chevy Corvette, where does the new C7 stand performancewise?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    Intersting, but you couldn't include a link to a googledocs sortable spreadsheet?
  • pommahpommah Posts: 71
    Sports cars have gotten too big and too unusably fast. You can only use a fraction of that power most of the time. Make it smaller, lighter, more efficient. Maybe a little bigger than a Miata with a baby V-8 yet 0-60 in 6 seconds and a wonderful ability to drive quickly on back roads. Move back to the 1960's model size when the wheelbase was nearly a foot shorter. Less brute force, more agility.
  • jederinojederino Posts: 0
    @pommah - so you're thinking BRZ-size with a bigger engine?
  • ryandigiryandigi Posts: 5
    That IS the Subaru BRZ and twin already. I sure would hope a v8 miata sized car or even a v6 (or large 4 cylinder) would be much much quicker than 0-60 of 6 seconds since the current miata is already at 6.5.
  • pommahpommah Posts: 71
    I have the Miata and BRZ at upper 6 seconds; so let's say under 6 seconds. GM made an all-aluminum 3.5 liter V8 back in the 60's; why not something that size in a ~100 inch wheelbase car? A very lightweight, agile machine with still enough oomph to have fun on an on-ramp without attracting the highway patrol.

Yes the new Corvette beats Ferrari's at a fraction of the price. But you can't drive these machines anywhere near their limits except on a track or at a very real risk of going to jail. To harness all the power these machines have gotten enormous, removing all pleasure of driving them on the lesser-traveled twisty roads, the only place one can enjoy spirited driving anymore.
  • Great list and photo selection. While clicking to the next picture (and not looking at the thumbnails), when I got to the 2014 it was almost a wow-factor moment. Try it. The more I look at the 2014, the more I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the chrome bar in the grille, but that's nothing a can of PlastiDip can't take care of.