Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• Options
    iwannano2iwannano2 Member Posts: 12
      I am trying to find out what plug is available for the iPod.
     V8 with PPL and 19's with rear lock and VW tow hitch. Offroad Grey / Teak
    I am new to the board so if you need to send to my email. It should be under my profile . Just click my username.
  • Options
    sedwards41255sedwards41255 Member Posts: 17
    Dealer finally able to duplicate my Nav Radio problem..and it is a faulty radio in that the programming of the buttons doesn't "save" and will revert back to the autoselected station...I can live with it...until another is shipped in. AT least it is documented and a resolution is on the way.
    Wind Whistle problem...dealer moved the cross bars per the suggestions I got from this board (thank you since dealer had no idea)...whistle is much better but not entirely gone...so will probably remove cross bars as someone suggested here.
    Tyre Pressur light problem is resolved. I was glad to get my T-reg back.....
  • Options
    I used the Rest button tonight and that is QUITE a feature......at least I don't have to waste gas to keep my heat on while just sitting there waiting for my daughter to get out of basketball practice or appointments. It kept the inside temperature at 78degrees (its' 25 degrees here)
    The more I find out about this SUV the more I love it!
  • Options
    brundogbrundog Member Posts: 13
    I have been reading this message board for the past few weeks and finally purchased a Touareg this evening: White, V8, Xenons, Air Susp, Stereo I. I only drove it home, but I will report my early impressions in a few days.

My serial number is ~36600, but I noticed two things: I do not have the small middle headrest nor the mini-flashlight.

1. How do I get the small headrest, and should I have already gotten this?
    2. How do I get the flashlight, or will this just show up in the mail?
    3. What other things should I look out for given my build number?? Stereo, water in footwell, tire pressure monitor, roof racks, FOB distance all come to mind.

You help is much appreciated!

-BD
  • Options
    iwannano2iwannano2 Member Posts: 12
    If anyone knows where the ipod plug is I would appreciate th info.
    Please email me . I really need to find out ASAP.
  • Options
    nwrollernwroller Member Posts: 24
    I have heard that the flashlight and mini headrest will be send to you by VOA in the next month or so.

Mine came with the headrest, but not the flashlight which I have yet to recieve. Then again I have only had the car 1.5 weeks.
  • Options
    spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    I assume you got my email by now?
  • Options
    bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Hi sedwards...it's great that it worked out for you. If you leave it at 70F, which is quite comfortable inside, even at 25F outside, you will get a longer burst of the warm air...as long as 30 mins.

Another trick is to heat up the seats, to the 5 position, just a few (10) minutes before you are going to stop and then go thro same procedure. Pull key out and hit REST. Will stay warmer longer.
  • Options
    mswbestmswbest Member Posts: 9
    I live in LA and see alot of Porche SUV's on the road, but i did not think that i would use that much power.I also have things to tow which I believe the Toureg is better for.
         Anyways to get to the point I preordered a Toureg 2 months ago with every thing i wanted which is V8 premium plus pkg, winter pkg, 4 zone climate, Electronic Parking assist all totaling $51,000 dollars. Santa Monica VW is willing to sell it to me for 47 grand cash.
        The dealer just called and said that my 2nd generation toureg is in and it will be ready to buy tommarow. Does anyone have any reason not to buy it or more reason to buy this great vehicle? By the way I am replacing a 1998 ML320 70,000 miles. I am excited...any comments at all?
  • Options
    evanstoevansto Member Posts: 12
    Finally got my replacement Touareg from my original purchase in August. It took VW a while (4 months) to do the paperwork. I can't believe the difference in the new Touareg. The transmission is much smoother, no more jerking at stops. Steering is much tighter, not all over the road like my previous T-Reg. However, the throttle delay on my V8 is still there and very annoying. I got the smaller center rear headrest, side/rear window shades, Pirelli tires instead of Continental, smaller diameter steering wheel. Still can't calibrate the compass. The car came out of alignment, but the dealer did a great job correcting it. The rear seat rattles...dealer is getting a tighter lock on the seatback. My winter mud flaps from the original T-Reg won't work on the new one, they changed the round clip to an oblong clip?? I put in the new PHATNOISE unit, it's unbelievable....I converted about 200 of my CD's to the PHATNOISE Mp3's and they are instantly available via my CDX button on my radio. The sound quality is better than playing the actual CD...it's awesome. I'm starting to love this vehicle...I didn't think I would after the awful experience with my first one.
  • Options
    I'd buy the Touareg. The actual HP of the Touareg is 330hp, not 310hp. It's about .4 seconds slower than the 350hp Porsche. And it's quieter too. Have you seen the interior of the Porsche? It's awful. No frills to say the least. The dash looks like it came from Elephant skin. The rear view mirror is about as good of quality as you would see in a Kia.
  • Options
    beemergirlbeemergirl Member Posts: 10
    I have been on the VOW website, where you can build your own vehicle. Can someone tell me the difference between the V8 and V8X? What is the talk about the 2nd generation Touareg? Does anyone know why VW bumped up the price on Jan 5th? Does anyone know if there are significant changes for the 2005 model? I am looking to get a V8 fairly loaded and at this point may have to order, since nobody in the Pacific NW seems to have what I want. Any suggestions as to which dealers might have the best selection in this area. I can go far north or far south in WA if need be.
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    "...In the cold & with all the electronics this car has, the engine has to be started & run from time-to-time. I would like to not have to buckle my seat belt and not have the headlights shining when I do this."

If the Touareg is anything like my '99 Passat, the DRLs. can be shut off while the engine is idling by engaging the emergency brake.
  • Options
    Yes I can. I believe you read my post where i mentioned the 2nd generation. When we went in to special order our toureg, we asked her what the V8x and she said that VW was going to have to different V8's the V8X would be sportier she said that it would have had a tire hanging off the trunk )like the Toyota Rav4) and it would have a tow hitch standard but they decided not too for some reason sooo there is no V8x. But we had the same problem in LA all the fully loaded ones sold out and we found a dealer that would special ordre for us. :) good luck
  • Options
    Go to VW.com and than click on the toureg, than what engine size you want and than at the top there is a row of buttons one of htem says "Build your own".
  • Options
    Thanks mswbest for response. By the way how did you get the dealer to go from 51k to 47k? Dealers here are more interested in selling me what they have in stock rather than ordering me one. So far the best I have gotten is 1,000 off msrp.
  • Options
    I recently went through most of the dealers in the northwest when I bought my car. Depending on where you live I can probably give you the names of the sales people and dealers that would give you the best rates, and work the hardest to make you happy.

Give me an email and I will give you a list of my experiences with each dealer.
  • Options
    That is how the dealer gave me such a good deal. I went to AAA and told them i was buying this car and the they told me that the only dealer that was giving discounts was an hour away from where i live with many VW dealers along the way but Santa Monica VW was willing. It is aproximatly 10% off. This helps the dealer attract clients outside their normal area. Basically she is elling to me at almost Factory Invoice(that what the dealer pays for the car)By the way this is true for any car company. Good Hunting. Try asking the dealer for the factory invoice when you go in to buy. they prob. wont tell you but if there not in for the profit and wnat to get rid of the car they may show you the document or just say it is confidential. IT IS ALL A BIG GAME. JUST TRY TO WIN !
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have invoice pricing pricing here under the New Cars link.

If there's interest, we could start a Touareg Prices Paid discussion like this one:

Volkswagen Passat: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I keep hearing about the price bump, but I have yet to see it. Edmunds, Carpoint, and VW's own site still list the MSRP's at 40,700 and 34,900. I even saw a bunch at the dealership today which supposedly just arrived, and they still have original pricing.
    When does this go into effect?
  • Options
    vwtregvwtreg Member Posts: 2
    evansto,
    please let me know how you got vw to replace your touareg. i have a similar situation, but vwoa only has offered to buy back my car. i got a good deal and lease so i prefer they just replace the car instead of re-buying one.
    any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I was at the Detroit show on Wednesday, and saw the Touareg diesel there. I wasn't able to get get much info from the VW rep I spoke to however. :(

Lots of other neat VW stuff there too, including the sports car concept and off-roadster concept. :)

Bob
  • Options
    The Price hike took effect Jan. 5. Though the US has yet to receive man of those vehicles, the price stays the same for all cars that were already at the dealership before Jan 5.

Also, rumor has it that the V10 TDI will be aprox. 57k when it becomes available. It will have some options standard, but will still be roughly 10k more then the V8 when options are taken into account.
  • Options
    I spoke to three dealerships regarding the increase on the 2004 Touareg effective 1-5-04. Any Touareg that is already invoiced, ie. on a dealer lot or at the port and they have invoice information than the vehicle is at the old price. If one chooses to order one price goes up approx. 1,000 for the V6 and 1,900 for the V8 and some options had a price increase. I know VW has it in writing that prices are subject to change, however it is somewhat frustrating for me that no dealer has a vehicle with color and options I want. I have been looking for the vehicle to match my needs long before the price increase. I feel they should honor the old price since they can't find me the car I want. And it's not like I am asking for much...A loaded blk on blk.
  • Options
    I noticed that some T-reg's have CHROME rings around the gauges in the instrument cluster and some have NICKEL rings. I thought this was related to the V6 or V8, with air suspension or not, but this does not seem to correlate. Any ideas?

-BD
  • Options
    What is the deal with the flashlight? I got the mini head rest in my T-reg. I noticed the inside light does not come on when I open my door in the dark (headlights are off). By "flashlight", do you mean this "internal light'? Seems I read something here about the internal light being a problem.....Please don't tell me VW supplies a real flashlight to correct an internal light problem....!
  • Options
    Does anyone know what tires come standard in the US with a T-Reg....or is that up to the dealer.
    I remember talking with the salesman before purchase and said I wanted the Pirellis(sp) or Michelins...
    just remember we talked about this since I have been so excited about my new vehicle....looked outside at the tires and I have Dunlop on my T-Reg.....
    Guess I will call the salesman back and ask him what happened to my tires he promised....
    What tires do you recommend....for suburban driving.....no real off road..Thanks
  • Options
    Flashlight:
    There have been many posts about this, it should come in the mail from VW about 6 weeks after your purchase, at least that is what people are saying.

Internal Light:
    You should be able to adjust this with the MFI; the manual should have instructions for this.

Tires:
    There are a bunch of tires that can come on the car. It depends what VW puts on it, and what options you get (V6 gets 17", V8 gets 18 or 19 depending on if you pay for the 19"). My V6 came with Dunlap’s. I don’t think the dealer picks the tire, but they could switch with another car on the lot. I personally like the Dunlaps a lot, I go to the mountains so I like the mud and snow tires. If you don’t do any off road or snow driving then you could get summer/all seasons.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    My original V8 had Continental Conacts. My replacement V8 has Pirelli Scorpians. I've only seen the Dulaps on the V6, not the V8. I've never seen Michelins on any T-Reg. My original Continentals were nice, quite but the Pirelli's seem to handle better. However, I don't particularly like the tread patterns on the Pirelli's...like the Continentals better because they look like more of a touring tire. The Dunlaps are ugly.
  • Options
    vwtreg...VW offered to replace my vehicle after it was at the dealer for repair for 30 days (waiting for parts). They disassembled my interior roof liner and could not put it back together correctly...which I knew they could not do properly. It was awful, rattles and gaps everywhere. I was on the phone non-stop with VWoA complaining but there initial response was tough-luck. Once it hit 30 days, I had the Ohio lemon law on my side so they made the offer. Actually, I should have made them buy it back since I paid only $600 under sticker when I bought it in August. By the time they made the offer in September, I could have bought a new one for about $3k under sticker. But they let me drive it for the 4 months it took for the new one to come it and so I didn't complain. I would check your state's lemon law and tell them that you want a replacement not a refund. Most laws say either or. Actually, I don't know why the wouldn't want to replace the vehicle instead of buying it back. If they buy it back, there is the risk that you will take the money and buy another brand (e.g. BMW, Volvo). With a replacement they still have the VW on the road with you. The only thing I can think is that VW Financial holds your paper and they made too good of lease deal with you. I would call Auburn Hills daily and also find the name of your local rep...actually it was my local rep who finally got me my new car, not Auburn Hills. Good Luck.
  • Options
    4x4buff4x4buff Member Posts: 12
    current V8 is not a serious off-roader

1 ] Weak tires for wheeling ? Those tires are not going to last in the woods unlike as shown in VW ads.
    2 ] No full size spare tire, I would never go wheeling without a full-size spare.
    3 ] No Skid plates, the belly is fully exposed to elements.
    4 ] No side-board runners to prevent rocker panel damage.

VW was supposed to provide all these features in "off-road package" last november.
    Now, it is not going to do that, this will be left for after-markets.

I would have loved to buy V8 with off-road package.

Does anybody know what's up with V8X ?
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Still in the Order Guide...Schedule of Production still TBD...This a/o 1/5/04...
  • Options
    tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    I bought my V-6 in late August, and it came with the standard large center rear headrest (which is now sitting on a shelf). It was my understanding that the mini headrest that came on hewer vehicles would be offered as a free replacement for those of us with the larger style. This made sense to me, since there is little or no vision through the older style, and it could be viewed as a safety hazard. However, my dealer seems to think it's my problem, and not theirs. They will be glad to sell me a new headrest. I have had no luck in getting them to satisfy my request. Am I confused on the replacement facts? Is there some place to go to get this resolved? Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my 2004 V8 premium plus in colorado red/napa beige from MAG in Dublin,Ohio on 12/11/03. My salesperson was John Barna. I paid 46k on a sticker of 49,165. I have had the truck for a month and have driven it 2k miles. So far, no troubles!! My dealership and sales experience were smooth, professional and seamless. I arranged the entire transaction over the phone,then flew to CMH, was picked up at the airport by John,taken to the dealership, sold the truck , as we had agreed,given a 2 hour orientation by John,and went on my way--all very pleasant and professional. BTW, I live in Indianapolis---the reason I was looking at other dealerships was both cost and availability. I really love the way the truck drives,handles, and accelerates. I am very pleased by the looks,both interior and exterior, and the quality of build. I currently own a 2000 Lexus LS400 and so far the Touareg compares very favorably in fit and finish.I almost did not buy the VW because of some of the horror stories I saw posted on this site,but I am glad that I did. My truck's vin is in the 29000 range so maybe I got one after most of the problems were resolved. It certainly seems so. Of course, I have a few nits to pick. My mileage is not impressive --14-15mpg in a combination of driving--and I drive pretty enthusiastically! The remote range could be better,the nav system is not as detailed as it might be, and I would like the fog lights to be part of the auto-on/off program. Oh--I have not received my flashlight yet,bu John said it might take 6 weeks. Overall, I am very happy at this time---feel free to ask questions--happy to help!
  • Options
    Many people have had their replaced via their dealership. Your dealer is just trying to get you to shell out some more money to them. My Touareg is in today for its 10k service and the dealer is supposed to have the headrest on order. Time for you to find a better dealership.

You may also call VW's customer care 800 number listed on their website for some assistance. Although they have been giving people mixed info that the replacement is coming directly from VW in the mail, and some that this is to be done through the dealer. Either way, it is being done and is at no cost.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Congratulations, not only on your new Touareg, but for finding a Dealer that felt that T-Regs with Premium Plus were like Jettas...They are not...Replacing that unit will be a 90 day wait...And, 4 days later they got the news that new ones will be $2240 more...

This is important because it would be unfair to other folks who might read your post and believe that they too will be able to replicate what you have done...

Enjoy your Touareg; it goes through the snow like a reindeer!!!! And, Welcome to the Volkswagen Family!!!
  • Options
    Why is everybody surprised at the mileage they are getting? It is printed on the window: 15-20 for the V6 and 14-18 for the V8.

This is no shocker: The truck weighs 5200+ lbs. It has a large profile and as such has to blow a big hole in the atmosphere. The vehicle is full time all wheel drive, therefore has more inertia to turn (effectively making the vehicle even heavier than it is to the engine) and has more frictional losses in the drivetrain.

As far as I am concerned, VW made no faults here. I would have been angry only if they stuck us with an 18 gallon tank, which fortunately, they didn't (it's 26 gallons).

-BD
  • Options
    volvoorvwvolvoorvw Member Posts: 5
    This is for evansto or anyone with the Phat Noise installed. It really sounds like a good alternative to a CD changer, but the dealer told me there was no way to install it out of sight and out of the way. They wanted to install it on the wall in the back just below the two 12 volt outlets. Is there a better way to install it?
  • Options
    You can install it where the 6-disk CD changer is supposed to go, but I believe it takes some modifications to do this. But it has been done. Hopefully someone that has done it will be able to give you more information, or you can email me and I can tell you where I found the information.
  • Options
    jd1318jd1318 Member Posts: 7
    what has led to believe the treg has 330hp and not the advertised 310?
  • Options
    tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    Thanks...I called VWoA. Yes, they said, we understand there should be a replacement. No, they said, we can't get you one yet because we have no idea as to how this will be handled - "you'll just have to wait". I asked for what, and they said "a decision on how VW wants to handle this". Called the dealer, and asked to speak with the general manager. Left a message, which he never returned. Talked with my service advisor, who said "he'd speak to his rep". I think that my best solution is to go to the dealer, find a newer T-Reg with a mini-headrest in my color, and switch it with mine!
  • Options
    todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    Just some random Touareg thoughts----my mileage, in the 14-15mpg range is on a new truck and is well within the VW estimates. I am hopeful that as I break-in the truck that my mpg gets a little closer to the 18 mark than the 14 number. Besides,if gas mileage is a big issue,guess what? I bought the wrong truck! I am planning to use the Mobil 1 synthetic oil when I change it at the 5k service---any thoughts or input?? Also,has anyone bought the "monster mats" from VW for the Touareg?? I have been looking for mats and I have decided on the mcneil rubber mats from mats.com unless I find something I like better. I would welcome any input--TODD
  • Options
    Just have your dealer order one and let them have the big one back. Here is the part number info: 7L6 885 900 C 7B4 Center low profile headrest anthracite (different 3 letter end code for other colors)

This is what my dealer did for me just yesterday.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I spoke to a gentleman,who had a 7 liter GM Suburban supercharged, and he only used mobil1 syn oil. He had the engine taken apart at 50K miles and had the engine blueprinted and all tolerances measured, and the mechanic said the syn oil protected the engine so well that there was virtually no grinding of the pistons and other internals.... He insists all his cars have the mobil 1.

OTOH, I switched to mobil 1 in my Suburban, and had an oil leak.....had to spend money to get it fixed. Some people say the cleansing properties of the syn oil may dry out the gaskets and cause leaks. So be careful, ask the car maker if that is OK . I know that all Porsches use mobil 1 syn oil, and their engines frequently last very long time.
  • Options
    rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    I got my first oil change and yes it was synthetic and put me back about $87.50. Just had it done at the dealer because the truck was in there for something else. I'll have to look around for a cheaper alternative next time.
  • Options
    sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    can anyone play rewritable cd's? i have the upgraded radio and cannot.
    thanks -stan
  • Options
    CD-Rs or CD-RWs? I've got no problems with CD-Rs but have never tried CD-RWs as I heard on other systems they are not good for music.
  • Options
    Yes, synthetic oils kicks butt. There is one caveat, however. Synthetic oil can prevent an engine from being properly broken in, so check at what point it is acceptable to switch. You may have to wait until the 10k to do it.

-BD
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    same thing about the waiting for the engine to break-in before you switch to synthetic from my mechanic. He said to wait for a few oil changes, and let the gaskets be properly lubricated.

Synthetic oils are formulated for operating at high temperatures and still maintain their long chain fatty acid, thus maintaining viscosity. Notice how organic oils are viscous when you pour a new bottle into the engine, but after 3000 miles, the oil comes out as thin as water almost.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...and still maintain their long chain fatty acid...

I think you mean "long chain polymers."

tidester, host