Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The 100 Greatest Movie and TV Cars of All Time

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in General
The 100 Greatest Movie and TV Cars of All Time

From the General Lee to Bumblebee, all your favorite movie and TV cars come together in the greatest list of the greatest four-wheeled Hollywood superstars.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    1967 Lotus Super 7 Series II from The Prisoner. Just about the only time Patrick McGoohan smiles through its entire run is when he's driving the Super 7 or when he's talking to a friendly female, and the latter doesn't happen in every episode.
    1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT (aka, Toyota Corolla GTS, AE86) from Initial-D.
    1966 Alfa Romeo Spider "Duetto" from The Graduate. One word: plastics.
  • cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    Many of my favorites are on the list but it's missing the Kenworth from BJ & the Bear and the Coyote from Hardcastle & McCormick.
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    I'll take Christie Brinkley in the red Ferrari over Magnum's any day.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    VW Van from Lost.
  • chuckdalychuckdaly Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe they didn't include the Coyote X from the show Hard Castle & McCormick. I stayed up late as a kid just to watch the car drive underneath the semi in the intro.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    What about the Cadillac from "License to Drive" with the two Corey's? At the end the father offers the son the crushed up BMW and he jumps into his new gf's cabriolet and says he doesn't need it because he already has a Mercedes (portrayed by a young Heather Graham). Classic!
  • dokterv8dokterv8 Member Posts: 8
    Nice list. I was looking for the Hardcastle and McCormick car - that was awesome to see thrown around, and there was a chase in nearly every episode!
  • davidlaytondavidlayton Member Posts: 1
    In Steve McQueen's 'LeMans', neither a Ferrari or a Porsche were wrecked in the crash scenes. They used 2 Lola T70s with Ferrari and Porsche body works attached. This is a good thing for both the budget as the 917 and 512 still had one more year of competition in 1971. The wrecks were also done by remote control with dummies in the seats. This was advanced stunt work in 1970. The Ferrari hitting the Martini sign was not intended but looked real good. (Does anyone remember the homage to that scene in Jim Carey's The Grinch?)The Lolas were subsequently rebuilt.

Had a real Porsche 917 had been used in the second crash, it would have likely broken in two at the driver's knees. The 917 was not a monocoque, but a tube frame and they shattered in heavy crashes. Two cars were lost unintentionally in shooting. David Piper while preparing to shoot a scene crashed a 917 heavily and lost a leg in the accident as the car shattered. A Ferrari 512 caught fire and burned leaving driver Derek Bell with a scars on his cheeks. Nick Mason of Pink Floyd eventually rebuilt that car.
  • mrjt2mrjt2 Member Posts: 1
    A great list except, I would argue that the "Bullitt" car is more Famous and has been reproduced More than the Firebird used in Smokey and the Bandit. Plus where is the 57 T-Bird that Suzanne Somers Drove in "American Graffiti" Wow did she give me fantasies with that Car.
  • sowhatnj2ca2ncsowhatnj2ca2nc Member Posts: 1
    Pretty sure these are not ranked in order since the Batmobile sold recently for $4.3 million and absolutely no other car on this list would get half that.

Would an orange numbered Dixie Charger going down the street or the Batmobile . .. be instantly recognized by very young and old ?

Missing quite a few like the movie " The Car " kinda obvious for a car list. " The Good Guys " " My Mother the Car " " Sunset Strip " . . . and so on . . .

OK list though
  • davy442davy442 Member Posts: 1
    What about the Nash Bridges '71 hemi Cuda convertible ?
  • gregg6300gregg6300 Member Posts: 1
    Definitely missing the Kenworth from Movin' On & the Willys in Hot Rod: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079307/
  • mellas123mellas123 Member Posts: 2
    While K.I.T.T. may have been the coolest character, I do believe that the Dodge Viper Defender from the VIPER TV-series (1994-1998) looked waaaaay cooler than that black Trans Am, plus it's morphing sequence was and still is awesome! https://www.facebook.com/vipertvseries/photos/a.142607109216798.41589.142598659217643/142607119216797/?type=3&theater
  • itsroyagainitsroyagain Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    How can you leave out the Coyote X from Hardcastle and McCormick? That car was pretty badass.
    And although Automan was only on the air for one season, his car was a fricken Lamborghini Countach LP400 that made 90 degree turns.
    Then there's "The Car"
    Time to edit your list buddy
  • tsk2tsk2 Member Posts: 0
    UGH!!! You forgot Marty Hollmann's T-Bucket..

http://www.tbucketplans.com/marty-hollmanns-hugely-influential-t-bucket/
  • IamcokekidIamcokekid Member Posts: 1
    I mean wow! You missed tons, but I can’t believe you missed the 1968 Camaro from Aloha Bobby and Rose. How about the 1976 firebird Funny Car from Fast Company, or the 73 Roadrunner from dukes of hazard.
  • bob_88788bob_88788 Member Posts: 1
    Pictures would be helpful to remember.
  • FasterdriverFasterdriver Member Posts: 1
    I nominate the 1971 Dodge Polara cop car from the movie GUMBALL RALLY. It had more time on screen then either the Cobra or the Ferrari if you start counting, and in the movie, it would have 'won' the race had the two policemen not stopped to deliver a baby. The car had a 440 V8 and was modified by the Cameron-Karie racing team with a Holley 4 barrel and manifold, a Sig Erson Cam, and some Hedmann Headers. I know all this because I owned the car after Warner Brothers and kept it as is for several years. It had a top end somewhere beyond 150 due to the very high geared 2.9 rear axle.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

I nominate the 1971 Dodge Polara cop car from the movie GUMBALL RALLY. It had more time on screen then either the Cobra or the Ferrari if you start counting, and in the movie, it would have 'won' the race had the two policemen not stopped to deliver a baby. The car had a 440 V8 and was modified by the Cameron-Karie racing team with a Holley 4 barrel and manifold, a Sig Erson Cam, and some Hedmann Headers. I know all this because I owned the car after Warner Brothers and kept it as is for several years. It had a top end somewhere beyond 150 due to the very high geared 2.9 rear axle.

Underrated movie. Much better than the Cannonball movies

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• niomarvin83niomarvin83 Member Posts: 8
    Oh cool, a list of the coolest cars from movies and TV, like General Lee and Bumblebee! It's like all the best car stars in one place. Super fun to think about!