Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Used-Car Lemon Laws

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,046
edited August 2015 in General
imageUsed-Car Lemon Laws

Lemon laws protect new car buyers in every state in the nation, but it's far more common for used-car buyers to get stuck with an unreliable vehicle, or to incur repair bills that cost more than the car. For such unfortunate consumers, it often goes downhill from there.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I read that some state forces a seller to take the car back for full refund after 15 days or so. I was LA were the same. My 2003 Nissan Sentra keeps threatening not to start. Worse, it's like that house on that old show Green Acres. You open the glove compartment and it falls on the floor. The radio doesn't work. You hit the dome light and the entire assembly moves. I mainly blame impatience. I teach and I wanted a car before the first meeting, which was today. The car got me there and back, but that car's like a house of cards. Or a castle in the sand that will flow back to the sea. Eventually. Thanks Jimi.
  • alvin15alvin15 Posts: 1
    ANYBODY LIVING IN THE FRONT ROYAL AREA DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM ONE STOP AUTO SELLS.THEY SELL NOTHING BUT BROKEN DOWN JUNK,THEY SELL BAD CARS,THEN GET YOU TO FIX THEM THROUGH THEM,THEN ADD IT TO YOUR LOAN.THEY SOLD ME A TRUCK WITH A BAD MOTOR,REAR WAS BAD,BRAKES WERE SHOT.THEN I DROVE 4 OTHER TRUCKS AND ALL OF THEM BROKE DOWN.THEN ON THE LAST TRUCK,UP THE PRICE ALMOST DOUBLE WHAT THE TRUCK WAS WORTH AND TELL ME TO TAKE THE DEAL OR GET FOR THE LOT,JUST DON,T BUY A CAR FROM ANY DEALER NAMED ONE STOP.
  • tsibiliatsibilia Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    BUYER BEWARE! KEYSTONE AUTOMOTIVE SALES & SERVICE / Keystone Auto Sales and Service - ([Phone number removed] - 749 N Keyser Avenue - Scranton, PA 18504. Just wanted to publicly tell all my friends and family to avoid this place. For those of you who personally know us, you have heard our car horror stories from the past few months dealing with this place. I am not one to vent on social media or publicly complain, but in this case I am making an exception. I posted on their fb page, and my comment was deleted! Then they changed the settings so all posts need to be approved before going public. Wow.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited August 2015
    Try posting in Dealer Reviews.

There's also Yelp, DealerRater, Google....
  • I was trusting to this dealership on Dec.19,2015. They sold me a GMC 2004 Envoy with about 2000 worth of damage on drivers side. (didn't know and was not told) (senior citizen)
  • I bought a 2004 Buick LeSabre Edition, not knowing what the smell was on the passenger side floor mat. Found out its coolent leaking from under the dash I was told by a Buick dealership it was a heater core, also the loose gas cap light stays on after buying dealership cap. Then the stablizer light came on told it was the brakes. I just went through a hurricane, it took my car with it so I was desperate for a new used car. I signed up for a used car loan no one would take it. My issue is verbally I was told I could have up to $2000. The rest would be on me, not knowing the laws of buying a used car, I'm at the mercy of their word. Very nice people, I can't afford a mechanic bill, no I didn't know about any issues before other than the smell and they said they would have it fixed before the final signing. It didn't happen. I didn't have a mechanic look at it because I took them for their word. I'm old school so a hand shake is what I was taught. Help is needed please, I am willing to pat for the work if they will add it to my payments. Any answers will help thank you. The car one owner, less than 79810 miles on the car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,459
    edited April 8
    Well if it's not in writing that they promised to fix something prior to sale, then I don't think there is much you can do except try and plead your case in Small Claims Court. SMC is sometimes sympathetic to consumers, even if their "proof" is slim. Sometimes just filing a SMC case is enough to get a dealer to do something. Also, read the article above to see if any of the used car lemon-laws apply in your state, and if so, if they apply to your particular situation.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 960
    Tell them if they don’t live up to their word, you will put it out on several social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter). Then do it if they don’t help you out. Be careful to only put the truth on social media. Any embellishments can put you at risk for slander suits.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,459
    Replacing a heater core is a pretty big promise --very labor intensive on most cars.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here