Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    I understand your "pain" as such but the above poster makes some good points.
    Let them replace the engine and I suspect they will even extend your warrenty....Like BMW did with their crank problems.
    Since you are a lawyer, you could litigate the matter but what is GM going to present you with? Yup, their warrenty and frankly they are living up to that aspect as they will replace the engine.
    It is certainly annoying but I think your alternative in litigating the matter may prove fruitless.
    On a lighter side, I'll take your car! I have had an '01 yellow;traded for an '03 yellow and will be hunting down an '06, either yellow or blue and have merely been waiting for pricing to settle. Maybe your dealer would want to swap you out of your car into another one, I'll take yours for the right price and all will be happy.
    Just a thought.
  • alenatasevich1alenatasevich1 Member Posts: 12
    gbjerke, thanks for your response,

GM has not offered to extend my warranty. Legally speaking, I will file an action against GM, but that is not the point. Porsche & BMW have in similar situations (or with cars with less serious problems) replaced the car (examples provided by other board members) thus backing their product and their customer. While GM & Chevrolet is basically flipping me the bird.

I do not intent do keep this car under any circumstances and already have a deposit on another Z06. Funny isn't it? Depending on how things work out with GM, this car will be either returned to GM for a new one, bought back by GM, or will be sold by me. If you're interested in purchasing it, just let me know. This whole scenario has absolutely ruined my experience of owning this particular car, but the reason for that is not the actual problems with my Z06, those can happen on any car, but the way Chevrolet & GM are handling this situation.

"American Revolution" is the new Chevrolet slogan, but in the end these are just words. Although I think Chevy's products are overall greatly improved, their integrity as a company are at the bottom of the barrel, and this is where their focus needs to be. They will never compete with the profitable companies until their policy is changed.

Porsche & BMW are the 2 most profitable car manufacturers and its funny that in the examples given the customers' cars were replaced and the reputation of the companies improve. But GM, a company in dire financial straights does not replace a car which left the factory substantially defective, thus further undermining the company's reputation. And this is supposed to be their HALO car! What a joke...

Alena
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Let me get this straight, you bought a car that had a defect in the engine. GM is going to replace it with a new engine (which will not affect the value of the car, nor the handling) at no cost to you. Now thats not enough? you want a whole new car? I have two words for you...

GROW UP!!!

Lets be honest here, if this problem would have been discovered between the car coming off the assembly line and being delivered to you all they would have done is changed the engine and you would have had a vette with a new replacement engine and you would be none the wiser.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I have a couple of thoughts here. First the starting problem, their diagnosis aside, sound more like an iginition relay or starter switch. I've had those go before, and long before a starter itself. If you get the car back and it fails to start again, have those checked. On the warranty issue, I think if GM wants to play hardball, you end up with a new engine rather than a new car. But, some years ago when I was at my Olds dealer and puttering around the show room, I saw a guy outside getting ready to take delivery on a new Toronado. I was speaking to the owner and he told me the guy had a new Toronado and on a business trip it developed a tranny problem that could not readily be fixed. The dealer said he got a call from GM central and was told to give him any Toronado he had on his lot as a replacement. That is what he did. I whistled at that info and he said: "Well, the Toronado is our top of the line and they want to take care of their best customers." I wonder if things have changed. After all, the Z06 is a heck of a lot more expensive than the Toronado was. And by the way, I bought a 87 Toronado and it was the best, most trouble free GM product I ever bought. Kept it 9 years and then gave it to my son who kept it 2 more. Still wish I had kept it, it would almost be a collector item now. :shades:
  • fivelemonsfivelemons Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I had 5 and I prevailed on every one of them.
  • alenatasevich1alenatasevich1 Member Posts: 12
    Guys, thanks for your responses!

Fivelemons, FIVE LEMONS? That's rediculous!

As an update... it looks like the dealership will have my car for about a month, today being the 18th day... Some parts still have not come in! No surprises here!

Alena
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    For sure no surprise!! I do not think that MONSTER 505 hp engine has even hit the aftermarket. In fact I think the emphasis will be to provide the Z06 assembly line with engines so it does not fall behind in production. Best of luck to you!!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    This same discussion is duplicated (triplicated?) in 3 different topics and at this point, it's off-topic here.

Those who'd like to continue discussing GM's policies/practices, customer service, and warranty issues will find plenty of takers in the News & Views and Smart Shopper Forums.

imageDrive on over and see me!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I found a 2005 coupe 6 speed LT1 package with a single removable top. The dealer is asking $42500.00 for the car with 4250k miles on it. Edmunds says $36000 trade in and 41500 dealer, what do you guys think?
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I went by my dealership a 2 weeks ago and they had $5000 off stickers on their '05 Vettes. They had a lot full of them, so my guess is you could do quite a bit better.

Good luck

tom
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    If it is a base car with no options then the starting price is what you can find heavily optioned C6s for on E Bay and some of the Corvette Forums.

BTW, MSRP for a 06 6-speed with no other options is $44,490; you should be able to negotiate the price down from there.

The asking price is a high ball price so offer them a low ball prices if you like the car and let the games begin. You could also ask for a 7 year GM extended warranty to be included at some point if you plan on keeping it longer than the warranty will last.

Be sure and shop the internet dealers so you know what the going rate for the GM extended warranty is. Note also if the cars is over 12 months old the GM extend warranty is about double what it costs to purchase within the first 12 months. Fitchner Chevy in Montana has some of the best GM warranty prices.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I'm with jmess, you have to get the original sticker and know what options are on the car to make sense of the price. I think the spread on options is about $7k so it can add 15%+ to the car, or not. The original '05's were selling with no discounts but the '06's are selling with discount, especially the coupe, which is going to result in more depreciation, or the ability to get a new one for a similar price.
    The following statement is from the article below about the new Ferrari, too bad it isn't true as the Vette has had Mag suspension since I think '04.

This is the very first time the SCM (Magnetorheological Suspension Control) suspension has been used on a high performance sports car. This is the very first time the SCM (Magnetorheological Suspension Control) suspension has been used on a high performance sports car.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12863
    The first time mag shocks have been used on a car that will cost 5 times more than a Corvette. :-)
  • gord1gord1 Member Posts: 11
    I am considering the purchase of a new 2006 or next years 2007 corvette convertible.

I am also considering the BMW M Roadster and the Porsche 911.

I am 55 years old and plan to keep the car for 15 years plus.

I was told by a dealer for one of the cars I am looking at the corvettes, even the new ones, have a lot of rattles.

I understand the corvette is probably the best value/performance package, especially compared to the Porsche, but I really don't want to listen to rattles. While the Porsche is much more money, given that I plan to keep it for many years, I am willing to pay up if needed to get the best car. I am however, a little concerned about higher potential maintenance costs on the Porsche.

Does anyone have any thoughts able the relative quality of these cars, long-term reliabilty and rattles?

Thanks
    So the Vette is fast, comfortable, handles well, brakes well, doesn't guzzle gas, cheap to own all things being considered, and looks great. I don't know about rattles because after a year, including a track day, I don't have any. I get an occasional pop from the removable roof panel but it is very intermittent.

My Lexus had more annoying long term noises than the vette because it was so quiet you heard everything. I have had one quality problem with my C6 that was fixed by the dealer; the fuel tank sending unit was replaced. I had three quality problems with my Lexus the fist year I had it and one was never fixed to my satisfaction; a rattle in the sunroof.

The only downside to the Vette is finding a good dealer service department that works on enough Vettes to know what they are doing. If you live in a smaller town you don't have a lot of choices. You also won't get the red carpet treatment at the dealer either.

With every car you are looking at you have an equal risk of having problems IMHO. Each design has it own strengths, weaknesses, and quality problems. If you follow the on line forums for all the cars you are looking at, you will see some owners complaining about quality, dealers, and etc..

Having to chose between all these cars is a nice problem to have. Drive them all, as many times as you can before you buy.
    Thank you for the response jmess. Very helpful.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Older Vettes were known for rattles/squeaks.
    When the C5 hit in '97 those problems have virtually disappeared.
    I had an '01 Z06--2 years and 30k in miles and not a single squeak or rattle. Then bought an '03 Z06---going on 3 years and 25k in miles. Zero squeaks/rattles.
    I suspect the C6 is at least as tight.
    Porsche is a great car also but if you plan to keep for 15 years, you will have to do some serious budgeting as parts/repairs very costly.
  • njvettenjvette Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if I should use synthetic oil in my 1989 vette ?
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I am impressed by how tight our C6 is- not a single rattle or squeak. Yes, GM can build a good car- they just choose not to!

This being said, I don't think any of your choices in cars here is going to go 15 years without significantly expensive service/repairs. A 997 911 will cost you about $30k more up front, maintenance is quite expensive and who knows if Porsche has fixed the RMS issue? Even if they have, it's too new to know if it will have any other issues. To top it off, the C6 is much more comfortable than a 911. (If you can't tell, we almost bought a 911, but finally decided on the C6- no regrets! :D )

$30K pays for a lot of maintenance, and 911s and BMWs are not known for being trouble free cars.

If you want something that lasts 15 years, maybe you can still get your hands on a Acura NSX (but it's been around a long time and is quite dated). Or wait for Nissan to release their new Skyline.

Good luck

tom
  • chevyt454chevyt454 Member Posts: 2
    At 500 HP the Z06 is the best buy of all super cars! :shades:
  • skip000skip000 Member Posts: 13
    I bought a brand new Corvette coupe in 2002 and have had it since,,,and there are NO rattles at all....it rides just like the day I got it, course I only have 5000 miles on it..... ;)
    Thank you for the replys. All very helpful.

While I hope to keep the car 15 years, I will probably use it sparingly.

Good to hear the Corvette C6 is largely a solid and rattle-free car.

I am concerned about long-term cost to own a Porsche 911 vs. a Corvette. One would intuitively think that for the extra cost of the 911 you would get a car that would last longer. If if only lasts longer by spending lots of money on maintenance and repairs, that isn't worth much.
    Congradulations on you getting the 505 hp Z06!!! I have the 2001 "first" gen Z06. So it is going on 6 years old and 72,000 miles. So far so good. Given your plans to keep it 15 years, I see no issues in you getting there at all. I realize that with the above mileage, that puts me in the camp of Corvette owners who actually bought the thing to drive. Again nothing perjorative here, but only to serve in contrast to folks, that say have less than 10,000 miles for the same model year (less than 2000 miles per year).

If you do plan to use it sparingly as you indicate, I would try to do a few things.

First is to get the BEST battery trickle charger that you can. My Corvette Z06's battery gave out at app 4.25 years where I have been used to (in my driving life) most other batteries giving out at the 10 year mark.

Quite simply two things are happening here.

1. The Z06 and (more directly the 06 Z06) has a 24/7 CONSTANT drain. I think you know the litany here. Multiple computers for any and all systems, operation of sound system, lamps, power seat adjustments, alarm systems, plug ins such as cell phone, GPS, radar detector etc etc.

2. In addition to hearing ABSOLUTELY no marketing to the contrary, the Z06's alternator simply DOES NOT replenish (to 100%) the battery during operation. So as a consequence, operation adds discharge to the already 24/7 discharge.

Secondly, When in those cases you do take it out and use it (sparingly) operate it no less than 1 hours time (full operating temperature is the operative key here)

All the best! Keep us informed !!
  • amtecauto1amtecauto1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Z06 and have been having troubles hitting 2nd gear at high rpms. it grinds. And also just shiftin normally, it kicks out of 2nd. Also normal driving it doesn't feel like it's going all the way into 2nd, and sometimes when you let up on the gas it'll pop out of gear. Has anyone else had this trouble at all? Thanks
  • c3456ronc3456ron Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving Corvette's for quite a few years now, and the C5 coupe was an excellent vehicle, fast, comfortable, and extremely good on Fuel for a vehicle like this. Now I own a '05 C6 coupe, this vehicle has surpassed the C5 by a mile, the fit and finish is exceptional, with very close tolerances around all opening panels outside and in. It is a Z51, 6 speed, and has much more power, even on the Launch, that is so noticeable, and completely through the power band. The fuel mileage is also extremely good for a car of this caliber! I do have one question for the gentleman that says that his C6 has no rattles, not even the top, which I don't either, but if we are talking about the C6 - ZO6, then it shouldn't have ANY around the roof, as the roof panel is NOT removable on the ZO6, none of them, it's not even an option! The frame for the top is Magnesium as is the engine cradle, and most body panels are made of Carbon Fiber. Getting back to the car itself, I've had mine doing 150 mph in 5th gear @ 5000 rpm, with 6th gear to go and a Redline of 6500 RPM, and didn't even feel I was going that fast! It gets up and goes, with VERY little effort. People have complained about the "Skip Shift", but since owning mine, I have only put 4000 miles on it, but with each mile I use it, I have noticed that I can use 6th gear as low as 35 mph and still dropping, with power to spare, possibly as much power as an economy car with a 4 cylinder engine! I think that for the money, you are getting one heck of a Sports Car. I have friends that have other (Exotic) vehicles in this class and beyond that have paid upwards of $500,000.00, and they LOVE my Corvette, and hate admitting it because of what they paid for their cars!!! You can actually see it in their faces when they drive my Vette and stomp on the gas, or even the brake, as it stops as well as it Launches! This is what I have noticed from being around these people, and in MHO, I would not even think of getting a Foreign vehicle, I don't care what they say about them, I know I can drive this car all day long with very little fatigue, and turn heads everywhere I go, at least a third the cost! It will out accelerate and maneuver most vehicles, I don't care what they cost, or how few of them they make!!! The new Corvette will give ANY vehicle a run for it's money, anytime, anywhere, and just throw a set of Plates on it, and drive it Home! :-) :) Good Ole American Plastic!!! Again, this is ONLY my opinion, and a Supporter of American Worker's! "Buy American"!
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    What is skip shift? Is it on all vettes?
    The skip shift is a gas mileage saving device that GM or somebody came up with to get better ratings on the EPA test and save the 350/400/405/505HP Corvettes from getting a gas guzzler tax. It will let you get to about 1200rpm in my C5 6sp, only applies to sticks, and then until you get to about 2200rpm the next shift will have to be into 4th, not second or third. It does drive some people nuts but having 50k miles on an '02 coupe I don't know why. (will check the rpms later, been on the road 2 weeks) There is an after market addon electronic module that will eliminate the skip shift but I've never found it to be an issue. Some people are flexible and just figure it out and drive the car accordingly. BTW, I also when doing a short shift and come up against it, which would never be under hard acceleration, just hesitate and go to third gear and it will then allow the shift, again accomodating the system.
    Randy
  • stans2stans2 Member Posts: 1
    the new auto trans has been out about six months. any comments good or bad?

Stan Smith
    I got to drive the new paddle shifter for two 25 minute sessions on track at Spring Mt. Motorsports Park, Corvette driving school outside Las Vegas, about the middle of Feb. With three years on track in a 6sp Vette I have to say I was impressed compared to several 4sp cars I've had a ride in on track. It took some getting used to but I was able to do some reasonably smooth down shifts just before corner entry and keep the car pretty smooth. Not as good as a talented driver in a 6sp stick but better than some of my worst efforts at the same points on track. One was a 4th to 2nd shift under heavy braking. The upshifts are seamless and strong with 2nd gear being really good out to redline. If I had to commute in traffic I would sure consider it, very good compromise.
    Randy
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I got off work early today and thought I would do a little car shopping. First I drove a new GTO with a 6 speed. I was impressed with the power but it doesn`t handle like my Corvette. Then I went and drove a new GT Mustang with a 5 speed and it was a nice car but still it won`t compare with my Corvette and it is not really supposed to I guess. Maybe it`s me but after having a Corvette I wonder will anything ever measure up?
    There are probably several that measure up but you might just have to spend twice as much ;)
  • ghainesghaines Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my first Corvette last December. After 13 months, it now has 18,000 miles on it. I love the car, but there seems to be a different issue every time I turn around. And everytime I take it to the dealer, I get the response "Well, the car isn't meant to be driven all the time". This time my issue is with the tires. The front ones started losing pressure consistently. When I took the car in, the tires were literally falling apart. The threads were breaking through and there were chunks missing on the inside of the tires. It was definitely not normal wear. Dealer says these tires only last 20,000 miles. At $500 a tire after installation and alignment, this is a major repair every year. Anyone else have problems with their tires? I don't know that I'd recommend driving the new corvettes all the time.
    It seems you are referencing a new car and with run flats (GY?) and I don't know why that might happen. Local weather conditions any thing unusual? My C5 runflats made it to 20k miles and the last 5k had several track days with fairly hard driving on them. I tried to not run the car as a daily driver at first but gave up when I liked driving it so much compared to alternatives. The dealer input is just a misinformed excuse as many drive these as daily drivers and that is the way Chevy sells them.

Question for the dealer service, are any of their techs, Corvette Certified, not many are and they don't have specific training on the Vette systems. Our local guy just recently left the dealer and they didn't have anyone as a backup.
    Questions for owner, what car and tire set up? What location for weather and how precise about setting cold temps for the tires, and how high the pressure when run long distance?

Then again, I have two sets of wheels and tires, one for the road and the other for track days. My track day tires some times get to be several months old before replacement. :)

Randy
    Sorry to hear of your tribulations with your Corvette!

In regards to the tires, I have never been a fan of the so called "run flats". However my Z06 came without run flats and just a flat fixer in a bottle and air compressor. I also realize this can give some folks a fright about flats on the road. So in that sense I really have nothing to compare it with.

Sometimes, Corvettes do have issues with alignment. I took mine to a well known local specialty shop for a more "touring" application alignment(less neg camber). My first set of GY Eagle F1 SC went 56,000 miles with app 3 to 3.5/32 left all around. I switched to Toyo Proxes T1S for the balance of wet weather performance. (both non runflats)

Sounds to me like going to a non run flat might be a better way to go if you "bad experiences": with run flats continue.
  • glhendr1glhendr1 Member Posts: 33
    I've had my 05 C6 since Aug of last year and have been experiencing squeaking in the brakes. I finally took it to the dealer the other day only to be told they were aware of the noise and considered normal; no adjustment was going to be made and no replacement of brake pad. Has anyone else heard of this? Am I going to have to live with this noise? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • ghainesghaines Member Posts: 2
    Squeaky brakes were my first warranty issue. I couldn't see how a new corvettes should squeak unbelievably at stop lights. I even got looks. I ended up getting the dealer to fix the issue by putting silicone on the back of the brake pads. This did the trick. I do get a squeak every once in a while. That just tells me I got some dirt on the pads. A good spray off at the car wash takes care of it.
    If you have the Z51 package GM issued a service bulletin for the brake pads due to squeaking/noise. The fix is to replace the pads with a revised compound that reduces the problem. This is a no charge fix.

I have the F55 and have had zero problems with brake noise. I have done a few lapping session at the local race track also.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109876

Since the numbers are about the same as the Z06, why spend
    the extra $30k, then again getting a new Z06 might be part
    of the issue.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=109497

This corrects some earlier promo material from Ferrari that said their Mag fluid shocks were a first. And oh by the way, the Active Handling system in the Vette has had three modes since at least 2000. On has ESC and Traction Control while off is both systems, but in between there is Comp Mode that turns off TC and let's AH allow more slip angle in hard cornering.

Randy
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I've got an 05 Z51 with brakes that squeal like a pig. Does anyone know the service bulletin number that addresses this issue? My dealer can't seem to find it. Thanks.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    My dealer just called me with the service bulletin number: document ID# 1793579. Here's the good part: it tells the dealer NOT TO REPLACE THE PADS because it doesn't solve the problem anyway. But don't worry, GM is working on a fix. In the interim, it's just too bad that your $61k car sounds like a ten-year old Hyundai!
    Just a C5 driver but you may want to do more research. I went to a Corvette specific board and reviewed the C6 tech and got no issues with Z51 brakes. This was hot about 6 months ago and your dealer may not be plugged into what was done. Just a possiblity.
  • vettevervettever Member Posts: 20
    I'm into my 2nd C5, the first a 99 black hardtop flooded in hurricane Wilma and replaced with an 02 black ZO6. I am in heaven when I'm in this car and the power is insane! I'm 58 and from the muscle car years. A 1963 Mopar Sport Fury Convert, 330 factory HP, ram exhaust & intake with dual quads, 411 rear and Altas Buchron cheater slicks to help keep it moving. This car was VERY FAST but my ZO6 is much, much faster! The only mod to the Vette is Borla Cat Backs with them two fat nasty looking pipes. (not for the couple extra HP but the wild growl) At first I didn't really like the C6 but it has grown on me. I'm not too sure I would go all the extra bucks for the ZO6 because it's real hard to keep my 405 HP from losing traction. (Kumho Extasa tires) Well let me be honest, if I could afford a new Zo6 I would be driving it now! Can't wait to see the C-7 Corvette!!!
    I agree about wanting to see the C7 but for me it's just economics. When it comes out the C6 will be a deal for about a 6 month window. The wife's '04 Z51 Coupe was ordered as she wanted it right at the end of C5 production and ended up at $11.5k off for just under $40k. As long as my '02 holds up the C6 is just not going to get me to make the change.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I've had 2 C4's and just picked up a used C5, a 99 coupe w/ 20k.
    I'm not that fond of the C5 shape, I think the C4 was a better looking car. The C5 is alot easier to drive and live with. i like the style of the C6 better and will be looking for a used one in a couple of years.
    Actually you may have a better deal than mine. I've considered used Vettes, had a '95 with 18k miles I got in '03 and unloaded for what I paid 10k miles later in '04. The only thing better about ordering is that you get exactly what you want instead of having to search for it or more probably getting something close. The number of Vettes in our local club that are pampered and never driven hard is simply astounding to me. My '02 will, on the other hand, not go for top dollar when I have to move it.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I found mine by accident.
    A local guy was selling it on ebay.
    He had everything on this car plus forged wheels, magnaflow exhaust and a cold air intake.
  • mynuvette1mynuvette1 Member Posts: 3
    Its been a while since I lasted posted to Edmunds. To preface, I will be buying my first C6 Vette very soon... but I thought it would be perfect timing given some of the comments here about Vette problems etc. to share with some of you my Lexus problems (past and present), my current driving comparisons and my ultimate conclusion of owning a Vette.

Before I completely decided I was going to buy a Vette this year, I came to that conclusion through a series of unfortunate events.

To begin with, I have owned 2 Lexus vehicles in my lifetime. The first was a 2002 ES300. 1st year redesign. It was quiet, but that's about it. Not fun to drive to say the least. I bought it thinking it was going to be ultra-reliable. Boy was I wrong. Had it in for various issues, but the biggy, a very serious problem with the transmission which to this day, I don't think they have fixed in their models. The problem being a hesitation in the shifting patterns, which in worst cases, caused me to lose acceleration through stop lights. Not the place where you want to lose acceleration! I took it in 4 times to 2 different dealerships and followed the lemon route. Case closed.

While I owned the ES300, I thought, there's this nice looking LX470 cert used, 2000 with only 19K miles. A steal? Well, my vehicle has been to the dealership I can't count how many times. Its there right now btw. Problems with brakes squealing, steering, paint (entire top 3/4 had to be re painted due to clouding issue from Manufacture's defect). The service advisors always play dumb, but nice and friendly, shake your hand and send you off. Only for you to come back another day so you can shake their hand and you can take it you know where. Case open.

So in my quest for a totally different vehicle, one more driveable and fun, I test drove the Corvette. WOW!!! What a pleasure. The acceleration, the braking, I just couldn't imagine the Vette drove this nice! The mag suspension made the car's suspension feel like a Lexus, but not so cushy. Just right. The interior, just right. Compared to Lexus, Lexus looks cheap. I'm sick of the shiny nasty wood crud and their plastic gadgetry. The Vette was just as quiet, except for the sweet, slight burl of the engine that could be heard with the exit of the tailpipes in the back...nice Best part I was totally impressed with, how comfortable it was to drive, it felt very drivable after just a few minutes test drive. I almost forgot I was in a sports car, until I reved the engine. The Vette's interior, I thought, was just right and much to my liking. The ergonomica was perfect, placed everything within reach that was essential for driving and pleasure. The seats sucked me in and kept me there.

After I hopped out of the Vette, I continued to test drive the Mercedes C55 AMG, the BMW M3, and the Lexus IS350. No Audi S4, some of you might say? Well, 2 German cars in one day was enough for me.

The C55 AMG was middle of the road for me. It drove with power, but not enough. It breaks well. The interior is good. Just not enough styling to justify 60K. Besides, Mercedes stinks these days. I test drove a CLK as well, different day. Both salesmen were aweful, didn't know a thing about the vehicles, and I almost made one of them puke in the C55 AMG. Seriously, they were both strange dudes.

The M3 was a nice drive, but too bumpy for me. SMG trans is crap. I'd rather have a stick shift. Nice acceleration, more for hardcore racers who like firm seats and bouncing a lot. Styling is old, next platform comes in late 07 for 08 model.

The IS350 was well, a Lexus. I hate to admit it, but I was actually considering this car. Until I racked up the price with options. That's Vette land It dawned on me and the more the salesman and I discussed how great the service was, the more I wanted to wake up out of my nightmare for the past 3 years. I felt like asking him, have you ever been serviced at Lexus? Well, it doesn't feel very good. Please see above.

So the conclusion, Corvette. I'm going to have fun, so much fun. Thank goodness for American sports car, the Corvette! I suggest everyone go through the experiences I have had the last 3 years. Squealing Vette brakes will be a blessing if that's all you have go wrong. My Lexus brakes squealed like a pig farm, not kidding...So enjoy your Vett's and stop squealing! You have the best drive around and I'm going to be joining you soon!
    Hope you enjoy it as much after you get it. Six speed or auto? Coupe or Vert? If you read back some you will know that the deals on the internet are much better than most local dealers but not the solution for everyone. I got my C5 in 2001 and just rolled over 50K miles, got a 6/60 extended warranty and last week it more than paid for itself with $2700 worth of ABS systems parts, something to consider with new tech heavy cars where a chip can go bad even if you don't mechanically wear some thing out.
    Then the question comes about learning to really drive something with 400hp, driving schools are good, especially Spring Mountain outside Las Vegas. Every day I get to drive the Vette is a good day with lots of smiles! :)
    Randy