Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

We back to the service station again with our 2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• duck87duck87 Posts: 649
    I don't even know what to say about this car at this point. But it's refreshing to see good customer service (kind of sad that's not guaranteed even at a MB dealership).
  • fordson1fordson1 Posts: 1,512
    She stroked you and you went for it. Old story. The car? I agree with duck87 - don't even know what to say, except it's a low-volume car in the even lower-volume cabriolet version, and in that situation unfortunately the end user is often the last 50 feet of the assembly line.
  • benson12benson12 Posts: 6
    Are they still gonna replace that piece eventually? I predict that "purely aesthetic" piece actually serves a purpose like keeping dust or water out of wherever and it's going to cause more trouble down the road. MB's don't react well to quick fixes and short-cuts, they always get you in the end. I love em still though.
  • banhughbanhugh Posts: 315
    You should have asked for a refund. Get your money back!
  • quadricyclequadricycle Posts: 827
    Well Babs did a good job, I'll give her that. Whoever designed that convertible top, hard to know. The techs who have been trying to fix it since I can't remember when, certainly not. I really do hope that this whole story is actually over now.
  • Haha, love the last sentence on the last paragraph! Now, I know the Lemon Law in CA doesn't apply to this case, since it is not a defect that can cause death or serious bodily injury, but something more has to be done. C'mon, 3 times!? If i had to visit the dealership 3 times for the same reason, no amount of great customer service would do for me. I understand that Babs seems great but this is too much, specially on a car of this caliber. For God's sakes my little sisters 1995 VW Cabrio top still works perfectly!
  • greenponygreenpony Chicago, ILPosts: 531
    Is it possible that this car was in a collision that might have misaligned something that, later, a repair shop might have overlooked or not properly repaired? Automotive tolerances are pretty tight -- we're not talking eighths of an inch, here, but probably thousandths or ten-thousandths of an inch. A small bump might be enough to set something out of whack.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Posts: 471
    Points for the name "Babs", but while positive (for once), the service strikes me as too little, too late.
  • noburgersnoburgers Posts: 500
    thanks for making the car let the top work yet no longer intact. I think after these posts I will swear off buying a used Mercedes...
    I know, one bad AMG don't spoil the whole bunch, girl....
  • vq356mtvq356mt Posts: 0
    Something tells me their response was affected by you driving a $200k+ car. I wonder what would have happened if you had pulled in with a 2-year-old SLK broken in the same manner?
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Posts: 365
    I have been defending this car's top all along assuming a fluke failure that was followed by a poor-quality repair. At this point I don't think even I believe that line anymore. This is unacceptable. However, I don't understand why you didn't leave the car?! If this was my car I would absolutely have made them keep the car and fix it properly! Well, actually, I would have gone to a different dealer and demanded that they fix it. Clearly WI Simonson can't get the job done here. If this was truly a design defect you would hear about it on owner forums. This is a defect with this particular car and they aren't doing anything to resolve it. I would also escalate the issue by contacting MBUSA directly. I might even involve legal counsel.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Posts: 799
    Scott, you know I like you. But fixing a problem that's been "fixed" two more times previously by hacking off a trim piece on a $100,000-plus car counts as outstanding customer service? That's a rather sad commentary on the state of "service" these days.
  • zumajayzumajay Posts: 1
    Sure... would you get the same service if you pulled up in an 190E from the 90's?

Doubtful...