Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    i think from that article you posted that infiniti didnt change the body for a reason.. and that reason is to take on the bmw328-- keeping pricing as its biggest advantage and not losing the "g" spirit. I think its a calculated move but misses the target without the manual option.

as for the g coming to an end in 2012--is that the case?? why would they offer this car for just one year before an overhaul... dont know why you said "hopefully" - this is the car that saved infiniti from being boring.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    for different folks.

Every single one of these cars has pluses and minuses to different people. For the longest time I've actually favored handling and driving dynamics over raw power and torque.

Maybe I'm getting older & the fact that I live in CT where the entrance ramps on The Merrit Parkway are short and have STOP signs at the beginning of them has something to do with it. My 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH handles brilliantly. However, its 200 horsepower @ 7000 RPM (7500 RPM redline), 156 lb/ft of torque @ 5250 RPM, & almost 128,000 miles just doesn't quite cut the mustard anymore. Even my wife's 4cyl TSX feels like it has more pickup. I'm not in the market now because I just bought a house and a second car payment is out of the question right now. Plus I think we're going to try and ditch the TSX next year to get wifey an SUV of some sort (she misses her '07 X3).

So if she gets an SUV, then my next ride doesn't have to be huge. Just as long as it has LATCHes for the car seats so I can take my boys somewhere without stranding wifey without a car (she can drive stick, but hasn't in years). In my new home,I'll be putting over 21,000 miles per year on a car just commuting.

I believe with the modern electronic nannies (traction control, stability control, ABS), I can rock a RWD sport sedan through our winters with a dedicated set of snow tires (as I do with my Prelude).

The G37S is priced right, has gobs of power, and I'm really impressed with how it handles. I've only driven an AWD G37X, so I can only imagine how well the S handles.

BMWs are not cheap to buy. 3 series are everywhere you turn. I love the way the E90 3 series drives, rides, handles, brakes. I've only owned new cars in my life since I passed my driving test at 16 (I'm only 34 now), but I will totally consider a CPO N55 powered 335i in the future.

Like I said before, the Lexus IS350 appeals to me. I like the styling, the interior is very well finished I'm sure, They now offer an F Sport version of the IS which I'm sure sharpens the handling. I went to Lexus and built one, it isn't as expensive as I once thought. But no stick shift available on the IS350 kills me. I know there is a stick offered on the IS250, but that car has the pickup of a Corolla. At least the slushbox AWD version I drove did. The brakes are impossible to modulate. There is NO way the steering is as sharp as the 3 series.

I keep my cars for a while. Going on 9 years with my '01 Prelude (bought new as a leftover in April '02). We'll see what happens when the time comes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...I think you have my email confused with somebody else.

I don't think I wrote "fact" in any email...Obviously I do not deal in facts ;) Just conjecture, speculation, rumors... :)
    Ahh...AWD...that usually kills mpg.

I can't think of an AWD that gets 30+mpg; even partial AWD systems that kick in at wheel spin. There must be one...somewhere; maybe an A3 TDI Quattro...something like that.

Other than cost I don't see much that would sway anybody towards the G25x
    I'll reply to myself :)

A 2011 A4 2.0T Quattro 6sp manual.

21/31
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You beat me to it. :)

Funny thing; I live in a rather hilly part of (often) snowy New Hampshire and I have yet to understand why so many folks "need" AWD. I mean geez, unless you have a driveway like my 'cross the street neighbor (a driveway that rises more than 100' over a distance of about 250'), I feel that the extra weight of an AWD system can actually lead to a less safe vehicle when it's slippery out there. "Less safe?" Some might question. Yes, less safe. Why? Because the extra weight will, if anything, lengthen stopping distances and reduce the already diminished capacity for a quick maneuver.

FWIW #1, when we moved up here I had a 530i SP, and after the first quarter inch snow fall I promptly ordered a set of winter wheels and tires; they in turn transformed my 5er from a car that couldn't make it up my driveway (only a 9% grade), to a car that could easily reel in AWD and 4WD vehicles in rutted snow up to about 7" deep (beyond that my car would turn into a snow plow, causing me to simply stay home or leave it at home in favor of a set of cross-country skis).

FWIW #2, the neighbor I referred to above has a winter tire shod Audi A6 Quattro, and as often as not, when the snow flies I see his car either parked down by the street, or stuck kinda sideways some distance up above the road. Said another way, even AWD isn't all it's cracked up to be on really steep slopes.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It isn't *just* AWD on these vehicles. I'm certainly not an expert, but for whatever reason, I haven't had good luck with MPG results on Infinitis. Right now, I'm looking at putting an average of under 10K miles per year on my car, so it's not a big deal. But when I was driving 22K/year, low MPG on my G35 (RWD) was disappointing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

What kind of mileage do you get?

I had an 03 G35 and would see about 21mpg or so. This was mostly highway (70-80%).

At the time I thought it was fine...but TODAY... with Sonata's putting out more power than my G did back then (especially with the old hp rating system) and getting in the 30's mpg...my expectations have increased.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited October 2010
    no, I didn't say they were ending the G they will be due for a redesign on the G model since 2011 is the 5th model year of the 2G.

I wouldn't get so hung up on the lack of manual at this point. Like the article says, there is no demand for the manual and Infiniti even has trouble selling them in the G37 so most are not going to want the manual in a G25 and they might have some cost issues with at least offering. The TSX does not offer a manual and you don't see its sales tanking. Yes the option is nice to have but Infiniti might have the lack of it as an excuse to force people to get the more expensive G37 as a sales ploy so you never know. Maybe in the future they will make it an order only option.

The 3G G models are just around the corner and I'm eagerly anticipating what Infiniti is going to do to their best selling vehicle. I'm interested to see what influence MB is going to have on the next gen G engine since Nissan/Infiniti is now in a co-op partnership with Diamler and they are suppose to be sharing things between divisions!
    Well I can't speak for when, how, and what kind of vehicle you have, but I know from multiple bad winter storms here in NJ over the years, that with my FX, I was all over the road with just the RWD. I tried driving numerous times without the AWD and II was scared for my life. Even doing 10-20mph below speed limit and being extremely careful the wheels would spin out. Once I engaged AWD the vehicle felt planted to the road and I stopped spinning out and having difficulties controlling the vehicle.

Everything I read to this day still says AWD is the preferable option for winter weather traveling and I concur with my own personal experience.

To me, there is usally only a 1-2 mpg difference between AWD and RWD so mise well not take the chance and sacrifice a little mpg. Personally, I like that Infiniti has AWD option and not AWD all the time like Subaru and others. This way, 85% of the year I can use just the RWD with better fuel economy and just use AWD when I need it specifically.

If there is ice on the road forget AWD or any drive for that matter. When there is ice on the ground nothing can help you.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Shipo's point is that with the right tires - dedicated winter tires - one can safely drive an RWD car on snow-covered roads. Did you switch to dedicated winter tires, or were you using all-season tires when you tried to drive in RWD mode in snowy conditions?

If the latter, then you really weren't addressing Shipo's point.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with a new Mercedes C-Class owner, as well as anyone who recently bought a new Mercedes after having owned Lexus models in the past. Thanks for sending your contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, October 12, 2010.
    I didn't realize he was referring to winter tires so that is my bad. If that is what he was making then maybe with really excellent quality winter tires you could get away with just RWD.

You are right, I had all season tires on the vehicle since I don't have the extra money lying around to go buy a second set of tires just for winter driving. I can't see spending several hundred dollars for tires you only would use on occasion 2-3 months out of the year. Just my personal preference.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "The TSX does not offer a manual and you don't see its sales tanking."

The TSX is available with a 6-speed MT - one of the best on the market.
    edited October 2010
    "I can't see spending several hundred dollars for tires you only would use on occasion 2-3 months out of the year."

Spending several thousand dollars on AWD that you only use on occasion (and hurts performance the other 9-10 months) is a much better idea... :confuse:
    tsx does come in manual--and has since they started making the car..and has pretty sweet throws. On TSX sales not tanking, i would like to see the numbers.

The reason infinti offers a manual is to compete with the BMW 3 but- i guess research shows that the lower 328 sells most cars as autos which for me is a shame. I need a g37x 6 speed.

and on the diamler partnership I agree I hope they keep the nissan 3.7 (or do they go to 4.0) - it might be loud and offers less mpgs but its a pure beast
    You can't afford a set of winter tires but you can afford to buy AWD? Uhhh, what did I miss?

FWIW, the winter tires paid for themselves, and then some. Consider the following:
    - I had the 530i for three winters before I turned it in at lease end.
    - The winter wheel/tire set cost me $1,005.
    - At lease end my factory tires all had at least 1mm more tread depth than BMW Finance's minimum, and as such I didn't need to buy a new set of summer performance tires; cost (then): ~$900 installed.
    - After the 5er was gone I sold the winter wheel/tire set for $500.

Long story short, not only did I not pay a fifteen hundred to twenty-five hundred dollar up charge for AWD, I made $395 by spending the $1,005 on the winter wheel/tire set. Kinda like found money.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Hmm, what is this "agree" thingy? Well, okay, I will run with it.

Regarding ground clearance, I have the same issue with getting in and out. My A4 avec sport package was lower to the ground than my 3 series (sans sport package) and the Audi's seats were just a smidgen lower. This meant I used my back much more getting out of the Audi than I do now with the Bimmer. So make sure you try them all in various packages.

BTW, the Bimmer non sport seemed to be similar in cornering to the A4 sport. Of course, the Quattro sticks better due to AWD but the Bimmer's steering is just sublime. I truly think the Audi is the balance between the Bimmer and the Mercedes.

I also felt that the Infiinty drove heavier than all three German cars. The G almost reminded me of an American muscle car. NB, I only drove used (2007-8) models. But since cars don't seem to get lighter, I think the Germans are probably more nimble feeling than the Infinity.

Regarding my other infirmity, I have a hearing loss and carefully scrutinized for road noise. The Germans win again, especially the C300 and the 3 series. The new A4 was definitely my favorite car but it really was had much more road noise than the the others. Also, the Lexus were pretty quiet.

That said, I like almost all these cars on the list on the right. The only exceptions are the Caddy, which just seems gauche and the cramped, slow IS250. They all have their strengths and cars are really just better now.
    edited October 2010
    edwards lets play a game, guess the "german"

car and driver review of 3 cars:

1)
    Highs: Well sculpted inside and out, a feeling of flingability, the interior’s “ash almond beige” wood accents.

Lows: Road noise, wind noise, engine noise that lacks the manners expected at nearly $$$$$ large.

The Verdict: Very Rico, not very Suave.

2)
    Highs: Seriously fast, seriously groovy in the turns, serious seats well matched to the serious g capability of the chassis.

Lows: V-6 is a little rough, the clutch takeup is abrupt and stiff besides, tight on toe space in back.

The Verdict: Muscular and poised, and low-profile about it; a machine for you, not your audience.

3) Highs: Hey-lookit-me visuals, plush leather lining, comfy in back (for two), hushed at high speeds.

Lows: The steering’s zone of indifference on-center, flinty ride over small bumps, too many buttons.
    The Verdict: All the right stuff but can’t make conversation.

guess the german?
    I can't see spending several hundred dollars for tires you only would use on occasion 2-3 months out of the year. Just my personal preference.

My guess is that you're a young guy. All-season radial tires didn't become widely available until the mid to late 1970s. Before that, just about everyone who lived in the snow belt switched tires - from regular to snows, as they were called then - at the beginning of winter & then switched back to regular tires at the beginning of spring. Keep in mind that almost everyone drove RWD cars in those days. FWD didn't become widely available until the 70s, & AWD was available only on trucks until the 90s.

I remember that Dad always made the switch to snow tires on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Something else to remember is that your regular tires will last that much longer if you're running with winter tires during the cold weather months. So the total ownership cost is less than you think.

Given that tires are the only part of your car that actually touches the road, do you really want to cheap out on them? Think about it. If you can't afford top quality rubber for your car, you might be better off riding the bus.
    sure! winter tires are not exactly known for smooth ride and low noise level so why would I want to deal with that from Dec-Mar! I'll take the smoother/more quiet ride all season tires offer
    Research by many companies has shown that the 6spd does not sell well on many cars. That is the reason Nissan stopped offering it on the Maxima. There was not enough demand for it and they were losing money no the manual models. You can get a manual on the G37 just like on the TL now so you have options if you want manual they are just much more limited then if you wanted automatic.

I said TSX sales have been pretty good so I don't know why you want numbers on why its tanking :confuse:

I want them to keep the VQ engines as well b/c I agree they are a performance beast, it is m hope Diamler and Mercedes will be able to just help Nissan quiet them down a bit at idle, etc so they are more refined sounding.
    Well, despite not getting winter tires, I have always tried to get some of the best all season tires for road grip, handling, etc to compensate and most have done pretty well. Its not that big of a deal for me b/c I will not drive on the road with more than a few inches of snow. Its just nice to have the AWD so that I don't get stuck at work or anywhere if I'm not home when a winter storm or blizzard starts.
    edited October 2010
    "sure! winter tires are not exactly known for smooth ride and low noise level so why would I want to deal with that from Dec-Mar! I'll take the smoother/more quiet ride all season tires offer "

Bzzzt! I'm sorry, that is incorrect! I've driven cars with a dozen different winter tires over the last few years, and to a one, the tires were easily as quiet as the rubber used on the car for the other three seasons; that and in most cases they rode smoother! "Smoother?" you ask. Yes, smoother. Why? Because typically when one buys a winter wheel/tire set, they "minus one" on the size (my 530i is a good example; the summer tires were 235/45 R17s while the winter tires were 225/55 R16s), and the taller sidewall of the winter tires afforded a cushier ride.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Bingo! Right on the money as usual Shipo. My winter wheels & tires are minus one on my Prelude (Summer size 205/50 R16, winter size 195/60 R15). In 8 & a half years, I've never been stuck in my Prelude once. That includes getting buried overnight while parked on the street in a snowstorm by the NYC Department of Sanitation, living in Westchester County (NYC suburb) that is anything but flat. Not once being able to NOT make it to work (not an option, my Dad is the boss & my name's on the door) due to inclement weather. People look at me like I have 4 heads and 5 feet when I tell them I switch to snow tires in the winter.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"People look at me like I have 4 heads and 5 feet when I tell them I switch to snow tires in the winter."

Up here in New Hamster the only folks I give that look to are the ones that are still driving their winter tires in July. :P
    I don't know why you guys are making a big deal about this winter tire BS! Did you ever think maybe some people have special situations that would preclude them from doing so?

Not only do I not want to spend the money on a second set a tires I only use a few months out of the year, I've had 3 back surgeries and major back problems and would break my a#$ trying to lug tires in and out of car to go have them put on the car twice a year and lug them down stairs for storage the rest of the year. I spent enough money on tires and back surgeries that I don't need to go and screw up my back just to get winter tires put on my car.

Its much easier just to get AWD and it works fine for me and a lot of other people so live with it.

Plus, I can't speak for other northern area of the country but I know that all the Infiniti dealers and BMW dealers around where I live only have AWD versions on their lots. The only way you can get RWD only is by special ordering one. Once in a while you might get lucky and see a RWD only on the lot but usually the service departments snatch them up as service loaners.
    Steady there, big guy. We're just trying to educate you. No need to get excited.
    "The only way you can get RWD only is by special ordering one."

So? Since I prefer to do European Delivery (and save thousands of dollars in the process), I have to order anyway. Thinking about this further, since, ummm, 1979 we've ordered 8 of our 13 cars (including both of our RWD BMWs, one ED, one not).
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Being from Upstate NY, I can mostly agree with the amount of AWD models on the local lots, but there are still RWD models available, without having to special-order them (and they're NOT only base models with no options either).

As far as winter tires are concerned, granted each area has a different climate, but when you live in an area that averages over 150" of snow per year, and when it can fall at rates of 4-6" PER HOUR, winter tires are a must. I lose count of how many different AWD vehicles (SUVs, cars, etc.) that end up being buried in a roadside ditch simply because their all-seasons can't keep up with the conditions. People tend to forget that AWD only helps with acceleration, but does nothing in terms of steering or stopping on slippery roads. Given a choice, I'd take a vehicle with winter tires over any AWD vehicle with all-season tires, no matter which set of wheels are actually attached to the drivetrain.

And IIRC, there are some local dealers that actually store the winter tires/wheels for you when they're not needed, and will swap out the 3-season wheels/tires and store them in the winter months (for a fee, of course!)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    spam
    [ sigh ]
    2022 X3 M40i
    "this is one of good opportunity"

Couldn't have said it better myself...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm sure you could... go on, give it a try. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well then I'm telling you something you already know ;)
    Very good points and like you said, if there is enough snow, sleet, or God forbid Ice on the ground, no AWD or winter tires will save you!

Luckily, down here in NJ, while we get our fair share of snowfall, its nothing in comparison to what you guys in upstate NY get!
    A point you might be missing is (for lack of a better phrase), not all snow, sleet and even ice is created equal. There are plenty of winter conditions where dedicated winter tires will find a fair amount of traction where even the best all-season tires will find virtually none.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I often wonder how in the world I and millions of others survived all these years without fancy AWD and electronic nannies.

:confuse:

Yeah, yeah, life is easier with these things. But don't try and tell me they are necessities.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Ja, ja, I vill play.

1. Audi
    2. Bimmer
    3. Mercedes.

Es gut, ja? ( I didn't look at any other posts.)

Also, if I am a Bimmer fan, then Car and Driver are Bimmer homers.
    Spam-spam-bacon-and-spam!
    edited October 2010
    Read your post on the TSx again then read my response. You like to respond with long paragraphs without getting to the point -
    Edwards.....you decided to play guess the German , let's see how you did.

Your answer Audi is correct.
    Your second answer BMW sorry incorrect it's infanimy, Infiniti to the rest of us
    Your thirds answer benz sorry again your wrong it's the tl.

Audi is a nice car for sure but not for 40k when you can get way more - good car to lease like the TL.
    edited October 2010
    I don't respond in long paragraphs. Check out a couple more discussions on here, especially in autonews and you'll see some long posts. I did check again and you were incorrect about what I said about the TSX, thanks for admitting you made a boo boo :P
    ^ SPAM ALERT ^
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2010
    ^ SPAM ALERT ^ DAS BOOT!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • dayne20071dayne20071 Member Posts: 20
    I like that the way you term it " electronic nannies" in my opinion that's what most of the stuff they put in cars these days are, for people who stiil enjoy driving, these features just takes the fun away.
    "its low base price should entice new buyers—mostly female, according to the company"

Ouch...they (the company themselves !?) just called the car a 'chicks' car.

My capacity to berate men from buying the G25 is somewhat limited as I drive a light blue Lexus :)
    edited October 2010
    Smartylongposts "The TSX does not offer a manual and you don't see its sales tanking"- I posted they have offered one since day one and the 2010 has one. Information on Acura website.
    Less words more facts - maybe back your stance with some sales numbers over a period of time-
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Ad in my local paper today..

G25X..

MSRP $34,800

Selling price $34,000

:surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Not a chick car. A stupid rich chick car.