Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sandiego7sandiego7 Member Posts: 2
    Have negotiated quote for 44,900 +TTL on new 2010. Good deal? Anybody done better?
  • Options
    sjrosjro Member Posts: 3
    Going to a local dealership in the Mid-Atlantic area. Picking up a 2010 MDX with tech slightly below invoice.
  • Options
    n4roninn4ronin Member Posts: 14
    Can you tell me which dealer in the Mid-Atlantic you went to?
  • Options
    brian30brian30 Member Posts: 11
    How did you get it below invoice?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to an Acura dealership in Maryland. The first car I purchased was a 2006 Acura TL with Nav. I got that for $250 under invoice. I'm going there today so my GF can get a 2010 MDX with tech.

Don't be fooled by the "invoice" price.
  • Options
    valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2010
    Lease Calculation is based on WHAT YOU ACTUALLY PAY for the vehicle and not MSRP. Only the Residual is calculated using MSRP.

Monthly Payment has two components:
    1. Depreciation based on months used/mileage and Residual.
    2. Interest due to the leasing company for use of the vehicle.

The amount of interest due per month is calculated using the Cost of the vehicle (what you paid) plus Residual Value X money factor.

The depreciation is determined based on what you paid for the vehicle less the residual value (which each manufacturer sets as a % of MSRP) divided by the number of months in the lease.

This why the NEGOTIATED PRICE is so critical in the leasing process. It affects both the depreciation cost and the interest cost.

One more thing- don't forget to add tax to the cost of the lease. Some states just tack on a % of the monthly payment while others tax the entire cost of the vehicle (same as a purchase).
  • Options
    r000r000 Member Posts: 53
    How is tax calculated in NYC? Is it on the payment or the full price of the car?
  • Options
    kss17kss17 Member Posts: 5
    thanks. I got bali blue color and didn't buy any accessories.
  • Options
    downinsddowninsd Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for an MDX tech/ent for close to invoice price but they added several accessories to the car adding to the price. They agreed to remove the running board from the car since I did not want that. My question is: is it possible to remove the running board without causing problems? In other words, am I going to end up with a car with exposed holes somewhere under the car?
  • Options
    josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    The holes for the running boards are pre drilled and shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Options
    jayg6jayg6 Member Posts: 15
    I just bought the MDX Tech for slightly lower that $43000+TTL from Acura of Redwood City(bay area). We got it in the color we liked(Grigio with Parchment interior). The sales person(Jerry Ventura) was great and there was no going back and forth on the price, even though the dealership only had a couple of them in stock. This was the only place where the sales person was straightforward and did not make up stuff like "The MDX's are difficult to get due to short supply" and "They are selling even before they hit the lot", etc. etc. I don't see a reason why you should not be able to get a MDX for this price assuming the dealership is motivated to sell.
  • Options
    familycar5familycar5 Member Posts: 12
    What would be a fair price to pay for a 2010 MDX with TECH & ENT?

Also, what does TTL mean? (Sorry, I'm new!)
  • Options
    etspametspam Member Posts: 4
    Hi all-

Was thinking of getting a new 2010, but am concerned about the transmission, given all the speculation the delay was due to transmission problems. I've read thru the history of bad transmissions with the 1st gen MDX and Honda Pilots of those years. I've been trolling the forums, and I already saw one person who said they had to get their transmission replaced on a new 2010 three weeks after they bought it. Don't know if it's a fluke, or a sign of bad things to come.

That being said, I am considering looking at used 2007/2008/2009 MDXs, or maybe a new 2009 if there are any still available. Does anyone know if there are any major issues with the 2nd gen MDX with those years? I believe the transmission for those years was good/stable. Can anyone tell me if there any major differences between those model years in terms of specs/features/extras? I don't think there was any major changes in between years. I'd be getting a Tech package.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    Stop worrying about the Transmission. I purchased mine the last weekend in February and it was built January of 2010. The transmission and the whole MDX is fine. If you like the 2010 just buy one.
  • Options
    tastycakes55tastycakes55 Member Posts: 35
    Feature-wise, the least has changed on the Tech, except for better leather + moving to HDD navigation vs DVD based navigation. Changes to tech are on the exterior + the transmission.

The base and Advanced see the most change. Base gets standard power liftgate, standard rear-view camera, better leather, plus a USB outlet in the center console vs the current 3.5 mm jack...maybe a couple other features I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

The advanced gets the new suspension and safety features, but the price gets IMO too much for this vehicle (into the low/mid 50s).

Exterior styling changes are subjective; I personally think the 'beak', new rims, and elimination of plastic panels in the front and rear of the car make it look better. I'm not crazy about the chrome trim around the windows.

You have reason to be concerned about the transmission. Honda/Acura has had their share of problems with them over the years. Ask any Odyssey, 99-03 TL, or 1st generation MDX owner. But - given the choice, I'd get the 6 spd over the 07-09's 5 spd transmission.

You can always insure yourself against engine failure - I find getting the mechanical breakdown coverage through Geico to be the best option for me. If the transmission fails before 100k, I'm covered. I think it works out to cost the same as buying a 3rd party or acura extended warranty up front over the course of a few years.

Keeping the subject on topic, you will probably not find new 09s on dealer lots at this point, and given the price MDXs fetch on resale (which make absolutely no sense...I'd like to meet the person that would pay 35k for a used 09 base when they can get a new 10 for the same price) I would skip going used.
  • Options
    brianplowmanbrianplowman Member Posts: 10
    Congrats on your purchase! The 2010 MDX is a great vehicle. I too just leased one.
    As a salesperson for Acura I will tell you that both of your quoted statements are actually true and are happening at the store level. The MDX's have been under produced compared to last year at this time. I have had only 1 Tech model in stock for about a week and no base models. We are thus having to "paper trip" sell the vehicles before they get here. Each salesperson also has a list of guests that are ready to buy as the vehicle lands. The last time this happened was back when the 07 MDX came out. Vehicles were selling for MSRP. We are currently far from that with equal or greater demand.

We are also having to do a lot more trading of vehicles to neighboring dealers.
    Last week I sold a vehicle from another dealer's inventory with the agreement to return a color they need when it got here. Between yesterday and today we did receive 5 more tech models to help fill inventory.

A salesperson is always motivated to sell. That's the only way we get paid. As much as we like a good test drive, the only way we feed our families is by selling! :)

Having a low inventory creates a supply and demand miss-match. That is why the dealerships may vary in pricing. A few dealers are sending super low prices on vehicles they don't have in stock. You may wait quite a while and that is alright for you, as you are getting a low price. This concept pulls you off the market. The other dealerships that have more balanced pricing are able to discount when needed and have the inventory to give you the color and package with little to no wait. The dealership's strugle can be maintaining a reasonable gross profit and having vehicles to meet the strong demand.

It is always good to find a fair compromise. Some dealerships may give you added bonuses like pre paid maintenance. This can save you over $1000 in future required A and B maintenance. Look at the whole picture and see if it makes sense to you. :D
  • Options
    Well said bridaplowman. Dealers like you and the one in my town make the purchasing experience much better. My dealer had a bunch of MDX's on the lot when I purchased at the end of February. Twenty I think. As you said there were only a few Tech ones and I really wanted to get a Black on Black one but they told me they had a couple of people already waiting for them to come in and if I liked another one that was in stock it would work out better for me. I ended up with the Cherry Pearl and love the color, just wish I could have got black interior. Guess Acura didn't like the black in the Cherry, who knows.

I think a lot of buyers don't look at the full picture and what the dealer has to offer for the price.
  • Options
    dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    Where are you getting a price of $35k for a 2010 base? I would be all over that. I think the going price is more like $39k right now.
  • Options
    lhhlhh Member Posts: 35
    So, Brian, being someone who is on the "inside" (and a new MDX owner!), do you have a sense of whether Acura has truly fixed the MDX's transmission issues with the 2010 model, like they say they have?
  • Options
    fordster1fordster1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Acura is still producing the 2010 MDX with Advance pkg (w/o Entertainment pkg)? Having trouble locating these in southern California.
  • Options
    99sub99sub Member Posts: 11
    I had a dealer in Houston tell me that it was easier to find an Advance without Ent. pkg. than to find it with it. It's hard to tell. So far, there has only been 1-3 MDX's with the Advance pkg on any given lot in the Houston area. Seems to me that that pkg is hard to find with or without Ent. pkg.
  • Options
    dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I have done a lot of research and currently have three good offers for a used MDX. I think they are all pretty good prices, but I'm having a hard time deciding which is the best deal. All of these are the same color and all are in excellent condition, one owner, no wrecks.

1) 2007 NAV/RES w/ 35k miles = $30,500
    2) 2007 SPORT/NAV/RES w/ 65k miles = $27,250
    3) 2009 NAV/RES w/26k miles = $34,500

I am also considering passing on all three of these and hoping that a 2010 base model could be purchased for $36-$37k sometime this year (with incentives).

Any feedback would really be appreciated. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mike_charlottemike_charlotte Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2010
    I would go with 2010 since it will be new and you can get better rates on finance. You can get portable GPS and after market DVD for less then $1000. If you can afford the Tech version.
  • Options
    mdx_2010mdx_2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I've received the following quote for 2010 MDX base model. Please let me know if this is a good quote or should I shop around for a better one.

$39,900 + TTL

What do you think is a good quote for MDX base in Chicago area.

Thanks
  • Options
    brianplowmanbrianplowman Member Posts: 10
    I had heard some discussion, pre production from on line sources. After doing a little research now. This seems just to have been speculation, as it has never been discussed at the store or manager level to my knowledge.

That being said, having worked for Acura for just over 4 years has given me more than enough confidence to purchase Acura vehicles. Current cost of ownership winner on this site for March! It is an exciting vehicle with a huge amount of functional luxury technology.
  • Options
    afmf22afmf22 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my 2010 MDX with tech/ent today. I learned so much from these forums and they really helped us get what we think is a good deal.

36 months/ 12, 000 miles a year
    no money down and all taxes rolled into the payment (we're in New York)
    $700 a month
    $1062.50 out the door - this included the first months payment/registration/doc/ins/nytiretax

This was all based on a negotiated price of $45,435.00 for the car. This included destination and roof rails.

I'm sure it's not the best deal - but we're happy. And the car is gorgeous! The navigation and the sound system are top notch!

Thanks again to everyone that posts on these boards - they were a huge help to us!
  • Options
    justinp85justinp85 Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010
    from the 3 dealers in houston all i got was 43300, 44600, 44700 on the tech package black/black. :(

proctor acura in FL said he can't even come close to invoice...maybe 43700 at best. one from dallas said 45300!!!!! waiting for the other.

invoice is what..42700?

should I wait till the end of the month or something? I am in no hurry to get one..just waiting for a good deal.
  • Options
    Where do you live? I would just go to the closest dealer and make one of the sales managers an offer of $42,900 plus tax, lic and fees. Let him or her know what you were offered and it was unacceptable.Tell them to call you when they want to sell the car and you'll make the deal. I bet they'll sell it. I don't hassle with calling all the out of state dealers. I just look up the invoice of what I want to buy and make that as my offer. If they come back with an offer I can live with I take it. My point is you have got to take the lead.

I purchased mine back on the last weekend of February and wanted black on black and had to change my color to get the tech then. There weren't many of the black on black around me at the time. The dealer said if I took one on the lot they would take my offer. It's a great SUV from a guy coming from a Chevy Tahoe.
  • Options
    i am in houston, texas. i haven't met with any of the dealers in person. just email.

champion acura of gulf freeway, sterling mccall acura, john eagle acura.

I am more prone to make emotional decisions / feel sorry for them in person and end up taking what they offer. that's why i been avoiding the dealerships.

42900 would be a good price. sure it's not a steal but i won't be overpaying or getting ripped off.

when will any dealer incentives show up?
  • Options
    ltran04ltran04 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the 2010 MDX Tech+Ent. for $45k plus TTL (title+tags+licencse) plus the awful processing fee $400.

Might be able to get a better deal if you stalked the dealer a bit longer. I walked in and bought the 2010 while waiting for my older 2006 MDX to be serviced (Washington DC area).

Good luck familycar5...the 2010 is an awesome SUV!!!
  • Options
    Always good to buy it under invoice!

Did you by chance do a trade-in too? And the honda/acura dealers have a 2% hold-back usually (est. $800 on $40k price).
  • Options
    Itran04- Thanks a ton for your reply and for the information...much appreciated. I did a test drive today and loved it. Gorgeous car. They only had one MDX on the lot with the Tech+Ent package. MSRP was about $47,000. I did not try to make an offer. I just told the dealer that I was still researching and exploring options. I would prefer to do an online purchase since I'm not good at negotiations in person. Just not sure how to go about making an offer over e-mail. Ideally, I'd like to make a special order to get what I want, but I'm not sure if that will end up being more expensive than just taking the one they have on the lot.

You mentioned "stalking the dealer" a bit longer. What would this entail? I'm clueless!

Thank you! :)
  • Options
    fl2009fl2009 Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted 43558 for mdx w/ tech and floor mats/cargo mat.

Questions I have...
    - was quoted 0.00151 money factor--is that a good number currently? (12k miles)
    - is the Nav package worth it? When I did the test drive, I wasn't really impressed with how the GPS/look up locations feature works. I have a Garmin and that seems easier. BUT...I'm told iphone integration ONLY works with Nav package. Is there anyone out there that debated on the tech package, bought it, and has 2nd thoughts?

thanks!
  • Options
    downinsddowninsd Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    I just got a black/black tech+ent for $46k + ttl. It included roof rails/cross bars (black), side moulding, wood wheet, wood shift knob. When these accessories were deducted, the price ended up just below invoice which seemed like a good price to me but more than that, it was the only black/black tech+ent I could find in southern CA.

Thanks to all who shared their experiences and prices. It helped a lot.
  • Options
    Forgot to ask in my most recent post...

Is it harder to get a good deal on an MDX if there's only one Acura dealer in the area? We have one dealership in the area close to where we live and then the next closest dealer is an hour away. I don't mind driving the hour, but any other Acura dealers are several hours away and it just isn't worth it to me to drive all the way out to locations so much farther away. Especially if the savings isn't significant.

So, basically I'll only be able to get a quote from two dealers. I wondered if these dealers know they have a monopoly and thus not budge on pricing.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Also, when is the best time to buy? I know they have 1.9% financing and I also heard it's best to buy at the end of the month? True?
  • Options
    what's the point of applying through acura's website for financing? does it save u any hassle at the dealership?
  • Options
    mdx_2010mdx_2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Is there anyone in and around Chicago area who recently purchased an MDX 2010 Base model? What price did you pay and where did you buy?

I'm looking for the Base model and the current quote I've got is around $40K +TTL.

Thanks
  • Options
    (Familycar5) I would visit my neighborhood acura / bmw / nissan / honda dealerships like 3-5 times over 2-3 month period. Tell them I like the car but still not ready to 'lets make a deal' and still comparing other specific models/brands. The sales person doesn't want to lose you as a potential customer (sales lead).

From my past experiences you will get a better deal (sale price below or just above dealer's invoice).
  • Options
    rastmrastm Member Posts: 16
    Bought a 2010 base in SE michigan early January for 40,900 + TTL...so thats not a bad deal...
  • Options
    fl2009fl2009 Member Posts: 4
    can I ask what dealer in Chicago land? Is the name of the dealer also the name of a major airline that has hubs in Cleveland and Newark? Or an Irish sounding name that also sells Lexus....
  • Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...has anyone got an MDX in NJ?...what prices are we talking about?...any idea when the 2011 models will come out...time frame?....I will be ready in about 5 months..thanks to all for any help..
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've searched local inventory (dealerships within 200 miles) and there are practically no options for me to get the tech + entertainment. Each dealer has just one, maybe two, on the lot. (I was told this model is not popular) Each car is either not my ideal color or it has something extra (like sport running boards) that I don't want. Would it be more expensive to special order what I want? Has anyone done this or is it better to buy from their inventory?

Itran04- Thanks for the tip and thanks again for all of your response to my posts. :)
  • Options
    simonsmom2simonsmom2 Member Posts: 6
    I'm shopping and reading all info on purchasing. Want to buy a 2010 MDX Advance without ENT. MSRP 52 & change. Lowest offer from dealer has been $48,900 plus T & L.
    But they don't have the color or package I want, yet. Dealer who does, offered 51,900 and laughed at my offer of $48,600. I make all my offers on email. The color and package I want, are hard to come by in Southern Cal. Does Acura not want to make more cars and more money? Dealers are saying there are only 3 in So. Cal. I just don't get it. Would appreciate any advice.
  • Options
    moiragmoirag Member Posts: 1
    The dealer I just got off the phone with said that Acura has increased their invoice by $400 for all cars produced after January 4th. She said that Edmunds (and all other resources) are incorrectly listing the MDX Tech invoice by $400 too low.

Is that what others are hearing too? Thank you.
  • Options
    Not true. Edmunds is correct. The only thing the deal does include that is not listed on Edmunds is freight.
  • Options
    smitty1krrsmitty1krr Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2010
    Edmunds and True Car both increased their invoice price at that time. (Post #9333)
    True Car only increased by $300 for my region, and they give a breakdown, it's
    listed as Regional Ad Fees. I do see more Acura commercials then I used too.

If you build one out on Edmunds, they do include the freight charge.
  • Options
    mechanicalmechanical Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a advance package for 49,295 plus ttl and tax and ordered it the beginning of this month. How much you want to chisel down a salesman who is trying to make a living is up to you!!!. One thing that I don't like about this forum is that it seams that dealers are not allowed to make a profit. Since when are companies not allowed to make a profit. Have we turned into the United States of Soviet Socialist Republic. Everyone who works or that should work needs to make a profit for whom they work for. Otherwise, the goverment will step in a give you printed money that soon will not be worth anything. Now I guess I'm done.

Don't compromise on the color that you want. They can be ordered without any hassel from any dealer it seamed when I was looking in New York/Jersey and they were all about the same price. Walk in, be repectful and they will give you the repect back. Or you can play the e-mail game and is very effective and saves much time. You can bypass the ent/pkg and get headrest dvd players and install them yourself. You won't get the seat heaters but they'll live. The 120 Volt outlet is a joke as well............................
  • Options
    bombaybombay Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your new car!

I applaud you for your perspective on dealerships. I know I am going to be totally respectful when I go to dealerships- just like you said that is how I will get respect back. After all they are being so nice to take my business - how nice of them. All of them in NY/NJ have the same price (remember Honda/Acura convinced them to be nice to each other and arrive at a consensus price - it is called MSRP).

Get real man (if you are not a dealer dude posing as a customer)! Nobody on this board says delares are all evil. There are good ones, great ones and bad ones. Same goes for the salespersons. But this is the US of A. We sell what we want; we buy what we want and where we want and what price we want. And every dealership earns the business. So cut out the USSR story and enjoy your car.
  • Options
    i just bought the black/black with tech package for 43100+TTL. came out to 46185.

that's the lowest quote i been able to get from any dealer in texas. 2 in dallas, 1 in austin, 4 in houston.

i went back and forth with these dealers and that was about the best I could do. I guess it's 200 over the invoice. what do you guys think?

as far as the car goes.....!!!!! << good.
  • Options
    dbltxndbltxn Member Posts: 2
    justinp85 - Would you tell me where you found your deal? I am in Texas and searching to buy Tech in the next few months. Thanks.