Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nytjnytj Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, thanks for the threads. Am looking for MDX and a dealer is offering new 2011 MDX Tech/Entertainment (I guess inventory they just never moved), and $39.5K was initial offer ($10K off sticker). i can probably go lower. Should i be concerned with inventory that's that new? It'll have full warranty etc
  • Options
    2012newmdx2012newmdx Member Posts: 7
    great price.
  • Options
    buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    2013 is here & you're thinking 2011 as new. What 2011 new cars are -- cars that depreciated on the dealers lot in raw environ. with no maint done on them. Take a rubber band from new stock box and leave it out, and then see if the quality stayed the same. 2011's sat in the dealership are not new cars!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If you need to buy a bunch of hooey that you would otherwise not buy, that's money wasted. They cost of the car is what you wanted and willing to pay for plus the things you need to buy to get the "low price".

At the end of the day, it's the out of pocket price that ... Homerun!
  • Options
    10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    "Fall in love with the deal" You did that. Your like the vehicle, its warranted for 4 years 50,000. Review your market area for a 2011 MDX Tech/Ent true market value and see if the selling price is in the ball park.
  • Options
    vj_seattlevj_seattle Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I just pulled the trigger couple of days back for 43,200 on 2012 tech/ent in Seattle area.
  • Options
    nug100nug100 Member Posts: 2
    Was the $43,200 before or after tax, title and other fees ? thanks
  • Options
    vj_seattlevj_seattle Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    Yes, before ttl. 43200 + ttl is what I paid. Negotiated doc fee down to $50.
  • Options
    nytjnytj Member Posts: 2
    Fair points. I'm comparing a CPO which might be ~$35K (Tech package, 20k miles) vs a never-been owned 2011 (Tech and Entertainment, 33 miles on it, manufacture date 9/11) which is opening at $39.5K and so I could probably go lower.

The real question is whether a car sitting in dealer inventory for ~ one year (note that its inside storage) will suffer from lack of use.
  • Options
    trickledowntrickledown Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2012
    For cash prices, you should START at the following (before TTL) for 2012 new:
    Base: $37,197
    Tech: $40,487
    Tech/Ent: $42,188
    CostCo dealership should start you about $300 lower than this.

If a dealer won't start at these prices, call a different dealer. You can get lower prices and don't waste your time with a dealer who isn't ready to move inventory yet.

10/6 OTD price in Orange County on 2012 Tech: $44,250, including about $1000 in accessories: the cargo tray, the woodgrain shifter knob (installed) and the woodgrain steering wheel (installed). The shifter and wheel are expensive because they require factory warrantee labor when you buy them with the new car (and they fall under the new car warranty). Without accessories we were in the low $43K range OTD.

If my dealer is reading this, thanks guys :) You are awesome. I don't want to cut into your margin, but if I can send you more business, you're welcome :)
  • Options
    jc74jc74 Member Posts: 1
    Well, not a bad price. Not sure if this will help you, but I bought my 2010 MDX with Tech (no entertainment) for $42,600 2 years ago.
  • Options
    So you like that car that much! May be if you keep it over 8 yrs it wouldn't matter too much then.
  • Options
    remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    I'm a first time Acura owner.
    Leased a new 2012 MDX tech a week ago in the SF Bay Area.
    MSRP:$47600 including dest. charge.
    Negotiated price: $39300
    Money factor: 0.0009
    Redisual:$24752, 12k miles/yr
    With 1k drive off, monthly payment is $518.75 (8.375% tax included)

Price is negotiated with a couple email exchange and one phone call.
    I think the price could be a few hundred dollars lower had I spent half a day
    haggling in the dealership, but I don't have the will and time....
    and the price seems reasonable to me.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    For what it's worth, this is my second MDX (still have the first one, which my son now drives). The first one:

2004 MDX with Tech & Ent
    Accessories:
    Rear spoiler
    Step bars (flat black)

OTD price $40,000. This was in 2004. 120,000 miles later, and all I've done is basic maintenance + oil + brakes +tires.
  • Options
    I don't have enough information... Lease term (how many months?) Your "drive-off" included what costs? The $24,752 includes sales tax? Or that is cash residual, no tax?
  • Options
    billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Oh my? The residual on a lease does not include any sales tax, it is simply the value of the vehicle, according to the manufacturer, at the end of the lease. Actually, this deal is good.
  • Options
    Sorry remmib, I am asking all of these questions because I can't make your numbers work. I add up your drive-off and your pre-tax payments, and they aren't adding up with your negotiated price and the residual.

They are advertising better lease deals on the MDX on the Internet at several of my local dealers in Southern California. Google "lease acura mdx" and you will find several. Sorry if I am bearer of bad news :(
  • Options
    Here's how you need to think about your lease:

Negotiated price 39300
    Residual 24752
    Total of payments = 39300 - 24752 = 14548
    Drive Off = 1000 (including 8.75% sales tax) so 919.54 applied to price
    Total of payments after drive-off = 13628.46
    Term of lease = 36 months
    Monthly payment (pre-tax) = 378.57
    Monthly payment after tax = 411.69

In order to make your payments work, you actually paid $42,900 for the car, not $39,300. So something doesn't add up.
  • Options
    oldjeepoldjeep Member Posts: 3
    I thought I'd share. Purchased a 2012 Acura MDX tech for $39,941 plus TTL in California. There aren't many 2012 MDX techs left ... so go get one. The price is right.
  • Options
    jjettsjjetts Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I wanted to say few words here; with the help of this forum I was able to negotiate a better price on my recent purchase of MDX 2012 Tech in Aspen white Pearl. I am in Long island NY.

I was quoted $39,495 + Tax+ DMV fees+ 75 Doc fee from a dealer on Long Island.
    Thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    In case people were wondering, that was $39,707 before $915 in accessories and $80 doc fee... so $40,623 before TTL, and $44,250 OTD.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    edited October 2012
    After shopping around for a replacement for our 2005 MDX, we decided on a X5d. However, I continue to get offers from both Pohanka (VA) and Rosenthol (MD) that I have now referred two friends to for 2012 MDX's. Here are their two deals, done within the past 3 weeks:

MDX Tech: $9,200+/- net off MSRP = $38,400; this includes freight ($895) and "processing fee" ($399), but not taxes or tags. (Pohanka)

MDX Advance: $9,100 net off MSRP = $44,450; also includes freight and processing fee ($199), excludes taxes and tags. (Rosenthol)

These were cash deals, no trade-ins or dealer financing. The Advance price would have been a little lower at Pohanka, but the buyer lives in Maryland and Rosenthol had the color combination they preferred.

Hope this helps somebody. We really like our X5d, especially the 30+/- mpg we have gotten on the highway, and needed a change of scenery from Acura. But the deals Acura is offering on the MDX for the 2012's is pretty compelling (we paid $40k for our previous generation 2005 Nav/entertainemnt almost 8 years ago).

BTW, just curious as to why anyone would buy the Rear Entertainment model in this day and age? A couple of i-Pads would be cheaper and more versatile, no? I don't think our rear entertainment system has been used for the past 4 years, or at least since the i-pad came out.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the info. Curious what you paid for your x5? Since this isn't a forum for BMW, a brief mention or a link will suffice. Thanks.

I'll not buy a German/European car but still want to know what I won't pay for a lessor built car. Thanks. Oops, non-German/European cars are fine in their own way, but if they want to fetch German car price, they'll have to build like one. That's all.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited October 2012
    habitat....sweet deal on the X5. I have a neighbor who was looking at an MDX. BMW gave me an X5 as a loaner for a recent service visit (not a diesel, though). Really nice vehicle. Took my neighbor for a ride.

Now, he's changed his shopping to include the X5, the Audi Q5 and an Infiniti JX.

He's still leaning towards the X5.

Again, 'grats on the X5.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I'll not buy a German/European car but still want to know what I won't pay for a lessor built car. Thanks. Oops, non-German/European cars are fine in their own way, but if they want to fetch German car price, they'll have to build like one. That's all.

Interesting comment, considering what you posted in another forum....

To me, it's not an addiction. Those cars are better in comprehensive view. I drive and own German built cars only,

Just in case you forgot that post...Look at #15054

I'm not sure if you have an identity disorder, are 15 and don't actually own and drive anything, or are just trolling around. But in the future, you might want to keep better track of what you are posting.
  • Options
    Thanks. The X5d is definitely a different ride than the MDX, which is part of the reason we ended up with it (change). They are both great vehicles and I think the 2012 MDX's are a great value, given current discounts. But already having a 2005 MDX and 2004 TL in the garage, the X5d is a nice change of pace.

FWIW, tell your friend that I highly recommend the X5d over the X5 3.5i. They are both great vehicles, but the diesel is almost as quick off the line, better highway/passing acceleration and gets much better fuel economy - we are getting close to 30 highway mpg. If your friend has an aversion to diesel, but can get away with something the size of a Q5, I'd suggest the X3 3.5i. It's a rocket and, being quite a bit lighter than the X5, get's decent fuel economy.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    habitat....the diesels are tough to come by....at least is seems that way around these parts.

I'll talk to him this coming weekend. Personally, I think an X3 is perfectly suitable for him. Then again, it's not my money. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    The X5 diesels are on their final leg of production for 2012. The X5 gas is being produced as a 2013 (no difference from 2012). But we had to custom order a 2012 X5d to get our exact specs. Not many dealers still had allocation spots, but we found one that did. We still got a great deal ($9,000 under MSRP, with all of the discounts / eco-credit), and the pick up at the Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg - a no cost option - was a phenomenal experience.

Good luck to your friend, whatever he decides.
  • Options
    remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Your calculation does not account for a number of items.

For a lease you have to pay for two components:
    Depreciation: Price - residual divided by terms
    Finance charge: (Adjusted capital cost + Residual ) X money factory

There are other items needed such as the acquisition fee (which is always there for a lease), registration fee , doc fee ($80 for CA), etc. all got rolled into the lease.

The $1000 drive off covers the first month payment so I pay
    $1000 + 35 x monthly payments.

Leasing is always going to be less financial efficient than buying with cash. (no interest charge, no lease fee etc etc). Since money factor, residual are set by Acura, the only thing you can negotiate is the selling price.

I see someone posting a $38400 price for the Tech, which is a great deal...
  • Options
    borntobornto Member Posts: 1
    I’m just looking for some opinions on this offer my Acura dealer presented me. I currently drive a 2011 MDX Tech with 24K miles on it that I’m happy with. When in for a service they offered to put me in a new 2012 MDX Tech/Entertainment for the same monthly payment I have now ($407). I realize this is possible because I had put a considerable amount down, and while I extend my remaining 40 payments to another 60 months, I wipe out the 24K miles I already have on my current vehicle. I don’t much need the Entertainment package with two kids under 16 months of age, but might in the future! Is this a deal I should jump at? It seems to me, I’m only paying for the depreciation, but get a new vehicle with a bit more options. Or am I getting suckered? Anyone else get offered something like this?

Thanks
  • Options
    ahmadbaahmadba Member Posts: 10
    I just bought MDX 2012 tech/ entert with 0 % financing for 60 months and almost 6000 $ discount below MRSP.
    I think it is a good deal, right ?
  • Options
    I think it is a good deal, right ?

Isn't that a dangerous question to ask, after the fact? :)

There are at least two dealers in the DC area (Rosenthol & Pohanka) that continue to send me e-mail offers of $8,500 to $9,300 off on an 2012 MDX Tech. They have $200-$400 "processing fees", so the true discount is less. I don't know if taking 60 month/0% financing would reduce those discounts. Back in July, when we were in the market, one of the dealers (Rosenthol) told me that I would have to finance a minimum of $5,000 (at 1.9%, I believe) to get the maximum purchase price discount. But it could be pre-paid after a couple of months with no penalty.

In retrospect, you may been wiser to go for $6k off and 0% financing than I was paying cash for our X5. I have never had a car payment, and didn't want to start now. But with Apple having dipped to $630/share last week, buying January 2015 leap options may have been a better place to "park" my money than in the X5. We'll see. :D
  • Options
    chucky380chucky380 Member Posts: 4
    ny area 12 MDX Tech 40k.. seems to be fair, thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Great. Now we know there's something called "reading comprehension" that is definitely a skill good to have before we go around reminding other people what they forgot or disparaging others in a somewhat civilized way. Thank you for trying to be civilized.

First, had it been an addition in made of cars, I would not be in different forums trying to learn and compare information as to what other people are paying for their cars.

Second, I'm not a car buff, but I believe I know what kind of performance I'm hoping to get in the car I buy. However, to describe cars in technical terms or in ways an enthusiast would is not what I care to learn. So I write spiritedly or immaturely about cars, but that is not an invitation for insults from mature bloggers like you. If you read all my postings, hope you didn't because you may directly call me childish, you will know that I don't own a car now. The last 2 cars I sold this year were British gas guzzlers but made in Germany.

Back to the reading comprehension part. I drove German cars. The reason for adding the word European is to distinguish some of them are not German brand. I'll not buy European/German because I like to keep my cars in pristine state and little hiccups in the car will mean a trip to the dealership for checkup. Car checkups or repairs in warranty waste time, and off warranty is expensive, esp. for European cars. Japanese cars are known for their ability to take abuse as oppose to European cars. I still like German cars, but I am only considering buying cars that are not German made. This, I hope will spell out what I wrote before in different forums, is a complete waste of time, but an appreciation for your reading my posts and caring enough to remember and comment.

To further engage in defending myself from your accusations would substantiate your claim that I might be a child. Anyway, thanks for saying that I still have a young person outlook.

Happy blogging and don't take everything too seriously.
  • Options
    Oh, I see where your comment came from...I get that a lot!!

BTW, asking politely if you would share pricing information is a freedom we all have on this forum, and getting an answer or not is irrelevant. For you to chastise and demean a fellow blogger is very mature, you would think!

So I apologize for asking you to share the price you paid for your X5, assuming you did buy. And I apologize more if you didn't for I thought all said in the forum were true.

What interesting choice of word you're able to churn out...mentally challenged would substitute all those derogatory description you care to use on an innocent blogger, except for the word "trolling"... amazing how these insulting words seem to come so easy to some people. But I wouldn't want to do it to anyone. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    "So I apologize for asking you to share the price you paid for your X5, assuming you did buy. And I apologize more if you didn't for I thought all said in the forum were true."

Huh? I read your two full posts above and admit, my "reading comprehension" is only about 50%. A little less than I'm running with Steven Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

But...no need to take this to the string theory level of debate. And sorry if I didn't answer your question based upon the derogatory manner in which I thought it was asked. Our X5d had a MSRP of $63,845; we paid $54,800, including dealer discounts and eco-credit from BMW USA.
  • Options
    nissanznissanz Member Posts: 21
    Just bought an MDX Tech / Ent for $41800.
    OTD - $44700 (With Tax, title, reg and doc fee). Got my fav color combi too !
  • Options
    bandit_mdxbandit_mdx Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2012 MDX Base for $36.5k + Tax + All fees (825) at Springfield area in New Jersey. We have added remote start accessory for $700 (including installation charges). Sales guy is Richard and he took good care of us.

Used quotes from Geico car buying program and Costco to find the best quote and showed it to the dealer. They honored it. I had to trade in 2000 Honda Accord SE with 126,200 miles on it. I've showed them they Kelly blue book valuation for my car trade in and they honored it after 15 mins of negotiation. They took my car for $3000 as it had some SRS and transmission problems. KBB showed $3000/- valuation for a car in good condition.

So I had to pay,
    Price: $33,500 ($36,500 - $3000)
    Remote start: $700
    Total: $34,200/-

OTD price is : $34,200 + 7% tax + $825 (Dealer fee, DMV fee, etc etc)

I've benefited tremendously reading the MDX forum, without it I wouldn't have been able to get this price. Geico car buying program (through TrueCar association) gave us a good quote.

Do you guys think this is a good deal?
  • Options
    vineetbhardwajvineetbhardwaj Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I am getting the same offer from my dealer, I currently have 2010 base model with 19k miles on it, I bought it 2 months ago when it has 17k miles. Got a letter from my dealer, that I can get a new MDX with the same monthly payment I am paying right now. Not sure where the catch is, going to check with him today evening.
    Has anyone been through this before? If yes, please share the experience.

Thanks
  • Options
    asd4asd4 Member Posts: 3
    Can I please get contact information for the sales person who is offering you these quotes? I am interested in buying an MDX and these prices look very good. I tried to contact these dealership s by filling in forms on their website but no one has responded. Thanks.
  • Options
    jjettsjjetts Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine from Acura of Huntington for 39,495 + Tax+ DMV + doc fess. I negotiated from about 10 dealerships in NY/NJ/CT area and 39,495 was the lowest offer that i received.
  • Options
    Edmunds doesn't want us to post full contact information, but try "Lenny" at Pohanka. He's one of the managers. As for Rosenthal, the sales guy I met with there has since left.

The last e-mails from Pohanka specify $9,600 off on MDX Tech on August 29 and September 1, but only $7,508 off on September 21. Don't see anything in my in-box since. I stopped getting e-mails from Rosenthal - think I opted out after we decided on an X5d.My impression rom Rosenthal is that thy will try to match prices to in your business, but weren't as aggressive up front as Pohanka.

Good luck.
  • Options
    xeeebraxeeebra Member Posts: 5
    Was this for a 2013 MDX? Where did you buy this from?
  • Options
    fennster1fennster1 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $39,200 (before tax, title, license, destination) with addition of advanced running boards, rear bumper applique, door edge film, mud guards, side badges, and wheel locks. In Chicago area.
  • Options
    tps1tps1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Can you share which dealer you got this deal in the chicagoland area? I am also in the look out for the same package and so far the quotes I have got have been higher...
  • Options
    mz2009mz2009 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking for a similar one in Chicago land too.
  • Options
    greenmegreenme Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

Has anyone bought 2012/2013 MDX Tech package in or around St. Louis lately?

Thanks,
  • Options
    greenmegreenme Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

Could you please provide from which dealer you got this quote? This seems to be a very goodprice.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sb_njsb_nj Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy one, and am looking for a best price, I heard some body got a deal for 45k in a online forum, wanted to know if there is a better deal or this is the price I should look at paying for this ?

NJ GUy
  • Options
    pastready2buypastready2buy Member Posts: 35
    Pohanka in DC had a 2012 MDX Adv/Ent for $43,990 + $399 dealer fee + $895 delivery + TT&L...so $45,284 + TT&L (email ad sent 10/19)