Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Here is the proper engine break-in procedure for a 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vvkvvk Posts: 193
    WOW, this is by far the most stringent break in procedure I have ever seen!

No downshifting for engine breaking? I don't think I have ever heard of this before.
  • At least they allow for a normal max speed. I typically keep my break-ins at 55 or below (I always stay in the right lane on highways to avoid getting flipped off)
  • I wonder if e-mode prevents any of those events from occurring? The hardest to hold to must be the one about not manually down shifting--thaqt's just habit.
  • i have my doubts most customers still do this
  • I was under the impression (from a long ago Kevin Cameron article in now-defunct Cycle magazine) that some engine braking was useful for break-in.
  • If the engine breaks when you downshift you are doing it wrong. Please advise your spell checker (or is it chequer?) about breaking and braking. I thought this car had an automatic? What is this manual downshifting all about? If you are driving a car in break-in mode, you won't be going fast enough to need engine braking in addition to the brakes.
  • Interestingly, driving in E mode is pretty much a must during highway travel anyway. In Sport (S) mode, you can't access 7th gear -- 6th is as high as it will go. Of course, there is a third option: manual mode. --Erin
  • fordson1fordson1 Posts: 1,512
    If this thing has rev-matching on upshifting and downshifting, the technically it's not engine-braking even if you downshift manually.
  • @fordson1 Even with a matched shift you may be are slowing the car against the compression at significant revs = engine braking.
  • iodeiode Posts: 5
    Broken the 1k break in period not long ago. It's time to explore my options for fun with Sport and Manual. :)