Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Whining noise in the rear end. 2006 Jeep Liberty.

jude4140jude4140 Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Jeep
I took my 2006 Jeep Liberty Aamco Transmission in July 2014 thinking that there was a problem with my transmission. They informed me it wasn't the transmission, that it was the rear differential. At the cost of $1,500 they replaced it with a used part. At the end of August 2014 I started hearing a whining noise coming from the rear end and I only hear it when I accelerate the car. I have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the repairs they made in July, however I afraid they're going to say it something else wrong. Can anyone help me with what this noise could possibly be.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Well a whining noise only on acceleration could very well be coming from the differential, but this is not necessarily a disastrous event---if you bought a used differential, and if it had some wear or roughness on the ring and /or pinion gears (the two that mesh), you will get some noise from that. It's possible that a synthetic gear lube might help this problem.

Nonetheless, you should return to Aamco, or go to a local repair shop and have them inspect the gear oil for debris. If there's a fair amount of metal in there, then you may have a more serious problem with the unit.

running the car on a lift while in gear, with someone listening to the differential, should locate the problem.