Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Thinking about leasing to buy - is this a good plan?

ajrosenajrosen Buffalo, NYPosts: 10
edited October 2014 in Honda
My wife is carting around our 2 kids and all her PT equipment in a small 2007 Civic and is getting pretty tired of it. We also rent a minivan once or twice a year for longer trips, which costs us $500-$1000/yr.

Problem is, we are still paying $380/mo on my 2010 Outback ($7K left on it). We got a trade in offer on her civic and have a few thousand we can use for a downpayment. So, is this a good plan:

Honda.com is showing 35 months, 0 down. With the internet price of $30,393 I was quoted on an EX, trade in of 6K and 4K down, that brings the honda payment estimator down to $123/mo. We can fit that payment on top of the other car payments until the Outback is paid off. If we went into this expecting to pay the $17000 (based on 56% retention rate) at the end of our lease, is that an ok plan, or is there something else I'm not seeing that makes this a bad idea? I do know that we'll have a higher interest rate on the loan for the residual, but we'll be socking away about $8K before that comes due so we'll probably have a 10K loan.

This is the first time I've looked at leasing, and I don't have hard lease numbers from the dealer yet (going tomorrow). I wouldn't even consider it if we had my car paid off already. Mostly I'm just looking for a good way to get into a bigger car now but we intend to keep it for 8-10 years.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments