Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to purchase a new vehicle after being out of the market for a while and found that prices were much higher than you expected? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 1/22 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Navigation Fail - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,110
edited October 2014 in Ram
imageNavigation Fail - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

This long-term update on Edmunds' 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel includes discussion of the truck's navigation system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• That's why manufacturers shouldn't be coming up with their own navigation. Integrate with Google Maps and/or integrate with my mobile device. Don't give me worthless/bad mapping software and THEN expect me to pay for updated maps on top of that. This isn't 2000.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin NE IllinoisPosts: 509
    I agree ^ It's amazing how much some people pay for in-car navigation that doesn't always work the best! I am thrilled with my $150 Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates. If I had a better-functioning smartphone, I would use Google Maps. The few times I have used it, I've loved it.

Nav from the manufacturers just doesn't make sense anymore.
  • chol92594chol92594 Posts: 208
    Using Internet-sourced navigation like Google Maps is great, except that it requires a data connection. I'm not aware of any cars that have such a connection without an added cost, so you have to pay a monthly fee to a cellular carrier for data, just like with a smartphone. That's probably not a big deal on a more expensive luxury car, but on lower end models, a lot of people aren't going to want to pay that extra money each month. Plus, since navigation data requires a constant internet connection, you'll most likely be out of luck if you're in a more remote area where data service is scarce or nonexistant. Still, it would be better than a majority of the OEM nav systems used today. I use the Maps app on my iPhone for navigation (I've also used Google Maps in the past and at times where the Maps app wouldn't suffice for what I needed) and I've never wished for a stock navigation system. It's much easier to use and always up to date.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    ebeaudoin said:

I agree ^ It's amazing how much some people pay for in-car navigation that doesn't always work the best! I am thrilled with my $150 Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates. If I had a better-functioning smartphone, I would use Google Maps. The few times I have used it, I've loved it.

Nav from the manufacturers just doesn't make sense anymore.

The navigation used by the Ram and other Chrysler products is made by Garmin.
  • It just needed a reboot. That fixes computers great -- and apparently car navigation systems too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I use Google maps with cellphone extensively, and it has been the rare instance that a failed signal leaves me stranded. I personally would never order NAV on a car, especially when it comes bundled as an expensive package. Also you can get a voice-activated Garmin for $200 bucks with lifetime maps and traffic.
  • As noted above, the Ram's nav is by Garmin. However, the traffic data is an add-on feature provided by SiriusXM, so it's hard to tell whether the errors came from Sirius or the nav unit itself.