Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Thanks - I finally got around to resetting them and the procedure you provided seems to work fine. I tried it and it made the change just as described!

(It took me a while to try out as I got sent on overseas biz trip, then holidays and then finally put it in the body shop to get some vandalism fixed.)

Well over 15k miles and coming up on 1 year with this Canyon and I haven't had any issues.
  • petem143petem143 Member Posts: 3
    I drove the Nissan, Toyota and a Dodge before I bought my Colorado. The Dodge was junk. I have a friend who has a Nissan and spends at least once a month at the dealership for something that needs fixed. The Toyota was nice, but $5k more in price and crappy gas mileage.. I'll pass thanks. If you read the 'professional' reviews, yeah sure that Tacoma is nice if you want to pay $30K. Is the premium interior worth all that extra money? If you're looking to tow heavy stuff, then buy a full size and stop [non-permissible content removed] footing around with a little truck. I'm in sales and in my truck every day. Its very comfortable and all the gauges and switches are exactly where they are supposed to be. My Colorado has been bulletproof. I've done nothing but change oil and rotate tires and I have 22K on the clock. The truck looks great and turns heads everywhere I go. Sure the interior could been jazzed up, but it does the job and it doesn't rattle or squeak and its silent going down the road. So I think that GM got pretty serious about the small truck market and probably has one of the best of the group in my opinion.
    I'm very happy with my Canyon. I went to the PDX Auto Show today. I spent some time touching and feeling the Canyon-Colorado-New Dakota - New Tacoma. I haven't drive the new Dakota or Tacoma, but...

The new Dakota is not that much upgrade from the old. Interior is at best on par with GM's. The new sheet metal is, well less to my liking then the old. It does have the V8 option if you want a screamer pu.

The Tacoma is better than the old Tacoma. Roomier and the interior is the best. Based on a crew cab w/V6 - loaded up it is going to be the most expensive. For the hwy cowboy it will probably be the choice unless it drives bad.

BTW - the funniest "Pickup" is the new Honda Ridgeline. A midsize crew cab, but the bed is fiberglass. Yes, fiberglass with a "trunk" - back half of the bed lifts up exposing a decent size well. It won't do it well to haul much gravel or yard debris in the back.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The composite bed on the Honda is being manufactured by the same company that made the Pro-Tec composite beds for Silverado full size trucks. Stronger than steel and won't rust. Several people I know who have the Pro-Tec beds and they all love them. You can take a sledgehammer to them and not damage them. Better for hauling yard debris and gravel than a steel bed.

quote- Pro-Tec was 50 lbs. (23 kg) lighter than a steel bed. It didn't corrode, scratch or dent. It wasn't slippery and didn't trap water like bedliners do. But it also is a technology unfamiliar to consumers, who either are happy with considerably less-expensive bedliners or who don't care about the appearance of their nicked-up steel cargo boxes.-end

The "funny" Ridgeline has-

1. A tailgate that is load rated for minimum of 300 lbs. And it opens to the side or the standard fold down.

2. Power sliding rear window that will not buffet wind when open due to special design of the roof. Nice.

3. The trunk is waterproof, has a drainplug (I'm thinking taigating and beer!) and is big enough for 3 golf bags.

4. There is additional storage available under the rear seat when folded down or it may be folded up.

5. Large center console armrest/storage that slides forward or backward.

Just a few of the funny features that I would like to see on the Colorado.

Funny thing is, the Ridgeline is about the same size as an Avalance in most dimensions.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I was talking to a co-worker this afternoon, and he and I both agreed the "perfect" vehicle for us would be a Colorado-based Avalanche-type vehicle; something you could use to haul the family and/or bigger stuff from Home Depot, but that was smaller/easier to maneuver (Avalanche won't fit in my garage), and got better gas mileage than the full-size Avalanche.

Anyone else agree (or know if there's anything like this in the pipeline at GM)?
    I have to disagree with you to a point. The bed over the "trunk" in the Ridgeline is unsupported and composite or not its a whole lot more flexible than steel. Time will tell.

I'm curious about the Sierra bed. My Sierra only had side panels that were composite, but the "bed" was steel. When did Chev/GMC make the entire bed composite?
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Well as far as im concerned (and its my sole opinion), the Ridgeline is just down right ugly.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    Well guys I`ve had my extented cab 4x4 Colorado for nearly 4 months and I have to tell you that the more I drive it the more I like it. This is the best little truck I have ever had and besides getting 20 mpg and being easy to maneuver around in traffic and park it`s fun to drive. The only trouble I`ve had is to have the front end lined up because of tire wear. I have 6800 miles on it and looking forward to many more. Buy one and see for yourself.
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    I've been eyeing the Colorado lately. I need a 2nd vehicle, (the other being a minivan for the family) and a small truck would be pretty practical for us. I saw that FOrd is offering the Explorer Sport Trac for $229 (plus tax) for 24 months. I was considering a Colorado, maybe a smart buy finance for 36 or 48 months.

Did you compare the Sport Trac to the Colorado? I have also been looking at the new Dakota, but the gas mileage has me concerned. And I think the Toyota and Nissan will be out of my price range. The regular Ranger seems too ancient.

Did you consider the 4 door over the extended cab? I could probably make do with either, although the 4 door would be a bit more practical for me. Was the 4x4 vs. the 4x2 a consideration? I had a 4x2 Nissan once, and would swear I would never have a 4x2 truck again. I would get stuck in parking lots. I guess with proper weights and snow tires, it wouldn't be a huge issue. I won't be going off road with this truck.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    >>Was the 4x4 vs. the 4x2 a consideration?<<

Another thread has batted this Q around a bit. One theory that I go along with is that a 4X2 with traction control, ABS, aggressive snow tires on all four wheels, 300 lbs of sandbags over the axle and a driver with common sense is the equal of a 4X4 in most situations you'll ever run into. Plus you save on initial cost, maintenance and mpg. Think of it economically: Which would you d'ruther have -- a) a new 4X4 pickup, or b) a new 4X2 pickup plus enough $$$ left in your pocket to finance an Alaskan cruise for the whole fam damily.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    The thing I needed was a truck that I could drive to work every day (25 miles)each way, that would get good gas mileage and I needed 4 wheel drive because I burn wood in my home and I have to get into places that a 4 wheel drive is a must. So I looked at everything out there and the Colorado seem to be the best choice.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    One way to look at it is resale, a 4x4 truck is usually worth at at least $1000 more even after say, many years, vs a 4x2. Now where I live, I wouldn't need it, but when I used to live up east would go snowboarding, the ability to really go in snow was nice. I inherited a Mazda b2000 little econo truck 4x1 (open diff) and I grew up driving in snow, and with some firewood in the rear and even using my non-snow radials I was able to go through about 4" or more depending on conditions. But getting to a buddy's cabin involved a gravel uphill road with a hard right turn then a uphill with the last bit steeper than the rest, and one storm I tried it about 3 times but ended up walking the last 300 yards as that was as far as she was going to go. Add chains and you can indeed do a lot but of course 4x4 is easier and you can also pull people out of ditches for some fun.

yea, you get worse fuel milage, but everything's a tradeoff.

DD
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    In regards to the Sport Trac, know that this model is due to be replaced soon with a new and improved version - so it might pay to wait until the new one is out (or about to be) and strike a deal on the out-going model if you go that route.

I'm also considering a 4-door Colorado vs. other things, and while I like the look of the Sport Trac, I think the "real truck" nature of the Colorado/Canyon will be more beneficial down the road (both in usefulness, as well as resale). Plus I think the Sport Trac is one of the lowest-rated (i.e. worst) vehicles in terms of roll-overs. (That's just from memory, so research it yourself and see what you find.) You might check with your insurance agent once you narrow down your options and see which is cheaper to insure - I'd have to think the Colorado/Canyon would win out on that front as well though.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I've been looking into the base Colorado both in regular cab and extended cab. I've noticed on the Chevy sight that you get manual seat recliners as an upgrade when you get the LS model. What I want to know is, do the base models seriously lack the ability to adjust the angle of the seatback??? How could any car in this day and age not offer this simple feature, especially one that costs 15k? I would think its not only a comfort issue but also a safety issue. Anyone have a base model and can confirm this? I wanted a cheap truck, but not THAT cheap.

I would really rather not get the LS model since here in the southeast, they offer a special appearance package that comes with the LS alloy wheels, carpeting, fog lights, body color bumpers, leather wrapped wheel, and full size spare for $350. Quite a good deal I thought.
    I just thought I should let Colorado shoppers know that Edmund's pricing is currently $600 too high. If you rely on their numbers, you will be paying $600 too much. I have sent an email notifying them of the problem but who knows how long it will take for them to change it. I discovered the goof after comparing Edmund's base MSRP with that shown on Chevy's website, as well as trucks I've seen on the lot.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Sometimes the pricing changes mid-year. If so, the sticker price depends on when the truck was built. If the price went up recently chances are the trucks on the dealer's lot now will have the old base price.
    I don't think that's the case here. Edmunds has had the same price listed for the past 3 months. I looked at 05 Colorados all around Florida. They all reflect the same base price. 05 models didn't start hitting the lots till about November so I think there has been a decrease in price that Edmunds is not aware of. If there was an increase, wouldn't Chevy's build your own feature reflect the new higher price? That feature doesn't look at the trucks that have been sitting on the lot for awhile.

They also had goofs in their optional equipment list, some they just recently fixed. In January, they didn't list the optional power sunroof, which was available late 04 according to Chevy. They just added it last week. They still don't list the optional appearance package and don't disclose what the convenience package includes. I've always been impressed with Edmunds vehicle info but it appears to be lacking here.
  • fieroguy1988fieroguy1988 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, all....

I have a Colorado Regular Cab 4x4 LS (not easy to find in SoCal) and have noticed a highly irritating little quirk...the passenger seat likes to "dance" while off-roading or driving on these horribly pot-hole ridden San Diego streets. I've taken it in 3 times now, and it still wobbles...acts like it has to take a wizz or something! Anyone else have the wiggle-seat issue with their Colorado? I never had this prob in my 95 S-10 4x4.

Other than that, I really like the little guy. 20+MPG out of a 4x4 is amazing indeed...interior space in the regular cab blows the competition away...

I off-road in the Desert, and the only off-road issue I had was that the rear tires rubbed against the "plastic" lining along the inside-edge of the wheel-well...making a terrible noise when one side was all the way up and the other was all the way down (the type of crap my Jeep could take easily). No real damage or anything.

I had a Sierra 4x2 and a Jeep Wrangler...got the Colorado cause my wife needed an automatic (knee problems). The locking rear dif is a huge improvement over my Sierra...and although my Jeep got really crappy mileage, it off-roaded like a beast (to be expected). I off-road for work in the summers and am worried my passenger seat is going to leap out the window if I dont get it fixed somehow...

Planning on getting a set of BF Goodrich TA's...the ones on my S-10 rubbed the frame....anyone out there with a z-71 4x4 tried 31's on their Colorado/Canyon?
  • islandcornerislandcorner Member Posts: 7
    I got my truck! So far so good. I haven't had any problem. Knock on wood! I just broke in the car and now I am testing its speed, braking, and agility. So far so good! I got it for the price they quoted me when ordering.

I love my truck because it did so well when we had a very bar rain storm and there were boulders in the highway rolling down from the cliff. I placed it in 4 wheel and easily manuvered around and through those bolders and foot of water.

I'll regularly post to see if any of the complaints made by the others ever develop on my truck.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    does anybody know if Gm is Offering any loyalty rebate on colorado/canyon, If im correct about 1month ago, they were, and it didn't matter if you traded Your current Gm in or not, in my case we have a 1995 Lesabre Buick, Im wondering if its to old or not the right model, or how it works? if anybody knows anything about GM loyalty rebates, but in our case we would trade it and on top of that hopefully get a Loyalty rebate...I know the Canyon has a 2,000 reabte currently, Im wondering if that includes a discount and loyalty rebate, for financing with GMAC? Confused, any help, Thanks Sean
    The one I got in the mail(expired Jan 31) only required proof of GM vehicle ownership; no trade or finance restrictions.
  • rhino7926rhino7926 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to as my comments about the recent issues with water leaks in the Colorado.

I have a 4X4 Ext Cab Z71. Right from the beginning I had the water leak that ran down the inside drivers side kick plate. Took it in and the dealer recognized this as a "known" problem and they were happy to fix it for me. They did have to order a new part though which took a little while. It turns out it was 2 seals that were not put together right. The top left seal on the windshield and the area below the windshield wipers.

Other then this I have not had any problems at all. No vibrations, no A/C issues, no problems at all. Love the truck! I have 10,000 miles and have taken it off-road and on long road trips.

Very satisfied!
  • panther8panther8 Member Posts: 14
    Add this problem to the list- Blower Motor When it's below freezing my blower motor for the heater sounds like your dragging a plastic trash can down the driveway. Once the truck warms up, the noise goes away.
  • vilainvilain Member Posts: 8
    Hey fellows! Just got my '05 Colorado LS Crew Cab and was looking at getting a bed liner and a tonneau cover soon. Any suggestions on manufacturers/websites?
    I just bought an 05 base 4-cylinder 5-speed Colorado extended cab. Only options were the appearance package that adds body color bumpers, fog lights, alloy wheels, and leather wrapped steering wheel for $350 (quite a good deal I think) and a $199 Chevy bedliner. There was a total of $3k in rebates. Sticker was $18470. I got it out the door for $16000. Not the best deal possible but quite good considering its still relatively early in the model year and its not the end of the month. It's also about $4k less then a Toyota Tacoma. I'll admit the Tacoma has a nicer interior and feels a bit tighter, but not $4k worth. The deal breaker for me was the fact that Toyota's bench seats are one piece, which meant that a short person like me couldn't have anyone riding in the front passenger seat unless they wanted their knees jammed into the dash. What a stupid design decision on Toyota's part.

Overall, I'm impressed with my particular Colorado's build quality so far. I got it with only 4 miles on the odo, so I'm the only test driver, whoohoo! It's quiet, rattle free, and built a lot tighter then what GM used to be known for. I think the truck's styling is very sporty looking in black. AC seems to work good, the brakes are strong, the ride is comfortable and it handles well enough, the shifter is great, and the 4 banger is very peppy. I did notice some vibration that is definitely tire related but I'm hoping it was from sitting too long since it did get better after I drove it around. This is my FIRST American car, so I hope GM got it right with my truck, since first impressions are everything. It seems the build quality of these trucks can be a little hit and miss though. I almost bought a regular cab just like mine but the clutch was real grabby and took a lot of concentration to drive it smoothly, plus it had more wind noise. I thought all Colorado clutches were like this until I drove the one I ended up with (which is much smoother). I also drove an automatic whose exhaust sounded loud when accelerating and like a diesel at idle and the truck had a funny whining sound too. Thankfully, mine seems perfect as of now. I just hope she holds up well.
    Sean, don't know if locality is placed into consideration but I know GM was offering me a $1500 loyalty rebate out here in L.A. I just got my '05 Colorado, was offered a $2000 manufacturer's rebate but wasn't eligible for the loyalty rebate because unfortunately I do not own another GM vehicle. As a matter of fact, the dealer would have given it to me, had anybody at my residence simply owned a GM vehicle but unfortunately that didn't happen! Hope this helps!
    Is the trailer weight listed in the manual the max weight that can be towed period or just the max weight allowed via the bumper hitch? I would eventually like to purchase a travel trailer that weighs around 3000 pounds, but according to the manual my truck can only handle 1500. This seems very low considering my unibody Lancer wagon can tow about the same. Any insight?
  • fenderhead1fenderhead1 Member Posts: 2
    Just was informed today by my attorney that Chevy (GM) is buying back the truck under lemon law in PA.. Electrical failures, ABS speed sensor replaced & still malfunctions, transmission clunks, body squeaks, window shimmies, engine malfunction indicator coming on and off, window and door lock electrical failures, front wheel bearings replaced at 14,000
  • panther8panther8 Member Posts: 14
    Rumor has it that the Shreveport plant is on a two month layoff. New Model, Problems, Lawyers, Poor sales, and Layoffs. No connection I'm sure. Great Job Fenderhead1! I have a new 2005 Nissan Frontier brochure, and the Colorado ranks the lowest in every category. (HP, Torque, Room, Towing) Compared to the Taco, Dakota and even the old Ranger. The Colorado was designed by Isuzu! Yes Isuzu! The 5spds are made by Isuzu! So if your reason for buying one is buying American, think again. We all know that Isuzu's are well recognized for their small trucks. Isuzu will be selling a Coly, with a ISUZU grill. Fenderhead1 problems are not isolated, buy one if you think I'm lying.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which debuted last year, could not unseat the best-selling Ford Ranger in the compact pickup segment, even though the Ranger has remained virtually the same since 2001.

Ranger sales were down so much that Ford had to close the Edison NJ plant.

Disappointing that Colorado and Canyon sales could not even beat the Ranger last year, let alone redesigned Dakota, Frontier and Tacoma this year.
    I had my bed sprayed in - Arma coat. I've had my Canyon over a year and used it a lot. The Arma has held up very well. It also has the advantage of not reducing the bed dimensions much. I've had Arma before as well as Line-X and have been very happy. I paid ~$400
    Instead of a Tonneau I went with a hard cover from Lo-rider. Its light (~75lbs for my crew cab bed) Pop a couple of cotter pins on the lift struts and some thumb screws at the front and off it comes if needed. It is also lockable. I paid ~$700 including lifts.
    Thanks for the info. Spray on is another option i was looking into. In case I end up going liner instead of spray on, would you happen to know if there's any conflict with installing both the liner and a hard cover on the bed? Thanks!
    I'm interested in installing an after market sound system in my '05 Colorado Crew Cab LS. I was wondering if anybody knew the exact speaker sizes that are currently sold with the truck? I believe the two front doors have 6.5's with some tweeters, but not certain about it. As to the rear passenger doors; i'm a bit on the foggy side! Also, I don't see how i'd be able to integrate a bass box/tube or other into the cabin. Can anybody help?
    According to Crutchfield, the 05 Colorado can handle either 5 1/4", 6.5", or 6 3/4" speakers both in the front and rear. I believe the true factory size is 6.5" front and rear, but simply making new mounting holes will allow the other two sizes.

As for the bed liner, I'm not sure what kind you are going for, but the Chevy liner in my extended cab stops before the side rails of the bed, so it would not interfere at all with a hard cover.
    It shouldn't. The Lo-Rider has a L rail set that mount to the top of the box and hangs inside less than 1/2 inch.
  • michaelsz71michaelsz71 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, if you are going to keep the truck, I would suggest the spray in bed liner (Line X)-lifetime warranty. I own a 2004 Colorado, ex. cab, Z71 4x4 LS. Mine cost me approx. $490, including over the rails. As for a tonneau cover, I own a Fold a Cover-hard folding tonneau. I love it-it works great, it locks, and it is low profile and durable. I have an extra one- $525.00 including shipping. Thank you
    I own a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4x4 LS Extended cab. I am looking for a light weight, inexpensive snowplow for my truck. If I can't find any, I was possibly going to make my own. Thank you
    I have a brand new Fold a Cover LS series tonneau cover for a 6 foot 2004/05 Colorado/Canyon for $525, including shipping.
  • coloradoguy44coloradoguy44 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 chevrolet colardo 4x4 LS and I am having the same annoying wobbling on the passenger seat. Also, mine only gets 17, or 18 miles to the gallon. How much does yours get?
    Do you think it's better to go with a spray on liner rather than a removable one? The only issue i see being a problem with the removable one is the potential for water getting trapped between the bed and the liner!
    Thanks. Any ideas as to how to get some nice bass in the cabin? I'm toying with the idea of a custom built box between the end of the back seat and the beginning of the arm rest counsel!
    I don't know if it does.I was thinking of putting one on mine, and had the same question. I will try to find out, if you do, please let me know. Thank you
    Does anybody with Colorado have any new or different exhaust system. I want to make my truck louder, but with the new type engine(5 cylinder), I'm not sure if it would sound good or not
    I had the removable liner on my first truck (more years than I care to admit ago). Water wasn't a problem but dirt & debris get under it and it "sands" the paint off the contact areas. Unless you pin in down at some points it can also move a bit as you load/unload. You can also crack/split/damage the removable liner.
    After trying the spray in (my 3rd truck with it, I'd never get a removable again.
    My first tank of gas has yielded good fuel economy on my 4 banger 5 speed ext cab. I averaged 21 mpg with mostly city/suburban driving but also a few short stints on the highway going 80 mph. I'm quite impressed considering the engine only has 400 miles on it. I hope to achieve a 24-25 mpg average once the engine is fully broken in.

Otherwise, everything else is going well. My only complaint with the truck is the visible shaking of the passenger seat and the shifter above 40 mph. I imagine the General tires are to blame, but since the steering and ride isn't affected, I won't worry about it for now. So far, this Chevy has had outstanding initial build quality.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    >>The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which debuted last year, could not unseat the best-selling Ford Ranger in the compact pickup segment, even though the Ranger has remained virtually the same since 2001.<<

The Ranger usually loses the comparo tests, but is almost always described as a "decent" choice. Faint praise BUT -- for someone who wants to pick up a manly, utilitarian runabout the Ranger's price is very attractive. The Ford dealer down the road from me now has a line of new 4wd, 4.0, F1s in his lot with prices chalked on the windshield below $17K. MSRPs are $27+.

So for many, the Big Q is, what would you rather have, a 2005 Whatever, or a 2005 Ranger PLUS $10,000 in your jeans? Well, it would make me think.
  • fieroguy1988fieroguy1988 Member Posts: 2
    I've been getting between 19 and 21...depending on conditions...I use it for commuting mostly, but will be off-roading on the weekends all summer...we'll see how it manages at low speeds. Took it in three times for the seat wobble...nothing they can do. Perhaps I can retrofit some tighter seats from a different model. Seems like a lot of people talking about Rangers on here..."shudder" I'd rather have my Colorado than a ranger any day...regardless of price or options...I got a great deal on my Colorado....Sticker was $25,300...got it for $17,500 before tax. I still think the styling is the best out there after seeing the new 05 Tacoma, Nissan, and Dodge. Fit and finish could use some serious improvement though. Anyone out there try 31x10.5's on their Colorado 4x4 yet?!? I'm thinking about it, but it's gonna be a tight fit...
  • jman1jman1 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 04 colorado ZG8 and my pass seat vibrates also. i also have a problem with the rpm's. when stopped my rpm's drop down to 400 and cause the truck to shake? very scary it feels like the truck wants to lunge forward at a complete stop! i live in florida and have talked to a couple other colorado drivers and have experienced similar situations with their FLEET VEHICLES. dont get me wrong i still love my truck just wondering if you have a problem too?
    My truck does the same shaking while slowing down. It only does it every once in a while, but it bothers me. I think it has something to do with the brakes, not what you are talking about, but thats just my opinion.
    The "vibration" from the 5 cylinder is a known issue with GM. I've complained and think they could have isolated it with better motor mounts. I've gotten used to my Canyon, but I have never had the feeling that the truck wants to lunge on me. (I've had it over a year with 16k+ miles) That sounds more like a throttle control problem.
This discussion has been closed.