Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Top Shopping Tips From a Former Car Salesman | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in General
imageTop Shopping Tips From a Former Car Salesman | Edmunds.com

A former car salesman shares his favorite tips for buying new and used cars and for getting the best value for your trade-in.

Read the full story here

Comments

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I disagree with #39, "Don't detail your car before trading it in." A few years ago I sold two vehicles with high mileage (100-125k miles) to dealers. The fact that I cleaned them up well helped me get good offers quickly from the dealers without them digging too deep into the cars' mechanical condition.
  • clachnitclachnit Member Posts: 35
    Interesting insight--thanks!
  • a1addicta1addict Member Posts: 5
    Car should be tidy, but the author gave an interesting take as well. Fully spiffed can be a trump card for the dealer. My reasoning has been those light scratches and minor dings really dance when she shines. On the other hand if you have a drum tight 2 or 3 year old with absolutely nothing to hide, curb appeal never hurts.
  • odtenchiodtenchi Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    I agree with #39 since I sell cars. You do have some points darthbimmer in that they made you an offer quickly because they know you are going to buy. Whether you think you got a good deal or not is up to you. We would consider you an easy sell since we see that you want to do business that day. What you won't know is if you could've gotten a better deal if they didn't see the dings and scratches because they are covered up by dirt. My suggesting is clean it enough so you don't look like a slob on the inside, but not enough for them to know that you are buying that day.
  • rexholes1rexholes1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a question can anyone help i traded my car to a dealership over 3 months ago i have still been recieving tickets in mail is there a way since the car is still in my name anyway to put the car back in my name maybe get back at the dealer since all they do is burn us? if someone can help with some advice i would appriacte it thank you
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe call DMV and see who regulates dealers in your state. And then file a complaint.
  • Monsoon_RainMonsoon_Rain Member Posts: 1
    17. If you're unsure of your credit standing (or you know it's bad), bring a copy of your paycheck and a home utility bill to the dealership to prove you have income and to confirm your home address.

Better solution: register at free credit webstie to get a free copy of your credit report and credit score. For example, www.creditkarma.com, www.creditsesame.com,
  • TraceyckTraceyck Member Posts: 1
    I know it’s been a while but asking my question can’t hurt: will my trade help the numbers? I’d rather keep it as it’s nearly 2 yrs old and somewhat beat up. I’ve taken care of it and I actually know it runs great. They don’t so I won’t bother with a few hundred bucks from them, but can they say in paper they upped that price to make me look better to a bank?
  • PrumrosePrumrose Member Posts: 1
    Is it worth it to buy a leased car the I've already had for 35 mo. and is a 2016 but has only 14000 miles and is in great shape. I don't want to pay for (buy) the same car twice. I like the car and want to buy a used car but everthing has 20000 or more miles even the 2018's. And some of these used cars are funky with smoke odors, scratched up interiors, worn seats, rusted wheel bases. Some say do not buy your leased car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Prumrose said:

Is it worth it to buy a leased car the I've already had for 35 mo. and is a 2016 but has only 14000 miles and is in great shape. I don't want to pay for (buy) the same car twice. I like the car and want to buy a used car but everthing has 20000 or more miles even the 2018's. And some of these used cars are funky with smoke odors, scratched up interiors, worn seats, rusted wheel bases. Some say do not buy your leased car.

Start with evaluating the buyout price vs actual value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ChevySuzChevySuz Member Posts: 1
    This was a well-written article with accurate information. You can tell that many content writers on automotive websites have never sold a car so have no useful tips to share for car buyers.