Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Trying to decide year/model and new vs. used to buy

sparsecandysparsecandy Member Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Honda
Hello,

I posted this in the pricing discussion but thought it might not belong there, so I am making my own thread as well.

I am hoping someone can help me. I've never purchased a new car before. I have 20,000 in cash and am willing to finance a small amount for a new car, but obviously want to get the most for my dollars. We got it down between the CR-V and the Escape but leaning towards a CR-V because of the reliability. (We'll be keeping this car for at least the next decade or so - we are a drive it until the wheels fall off sort of family and my last car has not been reliable, so definitely valuing a car without issues.)

The only problem with the CR-V is that the manual seat doesn't push forward enough for my comfort (I sit very vertical when I drive) so I must have power driver seats. That means in a 2014 or earlier I have to have the EX-L, where in the 2015 model I can get an EX. . Looking at AWD only, everything else in features I don't care about. I live in Columbus, OH and do not need the vehicle until late spring, although I would love to have it going into the winter. We looked at purchasing used (and it is still an option) but can't seem to find any prices on an EX-L AWD that make it worth buying something with 30K miles on it. If we buy used we would not want to finance. Oh, and I graduated college in 2012, so I get the new student thing but only until the end of this year. My husband is also active national guard if that helps.

In my position, would you
a) Negotiate for a new 2014 Ex-L AWD and if so when would you purchase and what would you expect to pay?
b) Negotiate for a new 2015 EX AWD and if so when would you purchase and what would you expect to pay?
c) Try to find a used '13 or '14 EX-L AWD and if so, how much car should I expect to get for my 20,000 out the door price on used?
d) Try to find a used '13 or '14 EX or LX AWD and then pay to have the seat changed to power seats. (Is this even possible or recommended?) If so, how much car should I expect to get for my 20,000 out the door price?

My apologies if this complicated question is on the wrong thread - this thread has been so helpful in letting me know we were correct to walk away from the dealer Saturday who refused to budge an inch off the 27.5k MSRP on the 2015 EX. Ford was at least willing to deal, but their 2013 Escape has already had like 4 recalls on it and I really want a Honda if we can make it work.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    your best deal is probably going to be on a new 2014, but this choice will also limit your choices, as they are "leftovers" at this point. Dealers would like to get rid of them, and given all your other options and preferences, that's where I'd put my efforts.

On the downside of this choice, the new 2015 CR-V has been upgraded in exterior, interior and engine and transmission, and overall it is an improvement over the '14. Short answer, you pay more but you get more.

Have you considered the Mazda CX-5 in your plans?
  • Options
    sparsecandysparsecandy Member Posts: 7
    We looked at a Mazda but did not test drive one. I am open to getting the most car for my money - I need to fit car seats and 2 large adults (Width and height.) Mitsubishi and Nissan are both out as my 6ft husband couldn't fit in the back comfortably. My current vehicle is a Suzuki forenza that has had multiple transmission issues (conveniently not covered under a power train warranty, not sure how that works but I've beat my head against the wall enough) so definitely want something that isn't going to have issues or, if it does, has a brand that will take care of them.

Are the 2014 Mazda CX-5's being discounted heavily?