Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Silverado/Sierra--Dual Exhaust questions

Comments

• bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    wish I could help you with the cat problem, but I have never heard of that happening on any make truck from simply installing duals. Let us know what you find out.
  • heimyheimy Member Posts: 13
    Chevy replaced the two cats on my Tahoe under warranty. The dealer's service guy has been very good about sorta ignoring my aftermarket abuses of this vehicle. (Chev also replaced $2000 worth of front end damage which was actually caused by a lift kit falling apart.) No causes or theories were offered to me as to why the cats burned out.

You're waiting for your truck, Ray? New one on order?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    my truck order see Topic 816 post 355 for specifics.

Sounds like you have a good dealer to work with on your Tahoe problems, how did you get him to replace the cats after warranty was up? It was a 3/36000 warranty on the Tahoe or did you have extended warranty? Lift kit fell apart? whats up with that?

Ray T.
  • m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    I believe the cats have a 50,000 mile warranty because muffler shops wont replace them unless they are over 50,000 miles, unless something major is wrong with them, then you have to sign something. I thought i had a problem with mine and the muffler shop sent me back to the chevy dealer because i had 40,000 miles.
    in the owners manual I do remember reading that emission equipment is covered for 50000 miles. So that explains the warranty replacement of cats.

Ray T
  • heimyheimy Member Posts: 13
    Plain and simple, the dealer's service manager was a helluva nice guy.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I've had them both. Gibson on my 97 350 PU and now Borla on my 99 5.3 Sivlerado, both split rear exit. Gibson had more seat of the pants torque anb a nice big block rumble, but was noisy at highway speed and certain RPM ranges, it was like a droning in the cab and very annoying on a long trip. The Borla good power less noisy and you can talk in a normal tone on the highway.

I live in the NE and the Gibson started to show rust after 1.5 years and did rust through the tailpipe after 2 years (know the guy that bought my old truck), with the Borla being stainless it was a better value for me and I like it just as well.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I currently have a Gibson swept side single in single out with highway drone. I know it may be hard to describe but how much quieter is the Borla? In your opinion would it be worth the changeover from Gibson to Borla? The Gibson is about three months old.
    Just joking around, but it would be cheaper to turn the radio up.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Just heard a dual exhaust system which was installed on a reg cab, short bed. Twin pipes from muffler back. Single in, dual out Flowmaster. Sounded great at all speeds, not too loud or rumbly. $350.00 installed.
    tried that. Cranked up the Kenwood which is fine when I'm by myself, but my three year old daughter objects rather loudly when she is in the truck. In fact she's louder than the stereo and drone combined.
    obyone - To change is a personal choice you'll have to make. But, my opinion is it would be worth it if you do a lot of driving with someone else and are trying to hold a conversation without feeling like you have to yell. Plus I found the quality and fit of the Borla much better than the Gibson.
    Talked to two local exhaust shops. One said Gibson quieter the other said Borla or Magnaflow. It seems that there is no consensus in this area of which exhaust is quieter. Perhaps I should start a survey? It'll probably end up with the same results...more confusion.

bob259 - thanks for the response. Maybe I should run an ad to sell the Gibsons or keep them till after comparing with Borla or I could even turn them into duals with the left being Borla and the right Gibson. I wonder...
    I have personally heard all three on exact truck configurations. The Borla and Magnaflow will be much deeper and richer in exterior tone AND you will have more interior resonance with both.

The Gibson, depending on which one you get obviously, will be much more quiet than the Borla or Magnaflow. The Gibson I speak of is the Split Rear Gibson (single in, dual out). The Gibson Supertruck will be close to the same exterior tone and interior resonance as the Borla or Magnaflow.

Good luck. Me personally, for a total package, both performance, tone and interior resonance, and cost, the Magnaflow can't be beat. I have a very deep and rich exterior tone and very little interior tone and resonance. I am extremely happy with the Maganaflow, especially over the Flowmasters and Dynomax systems. I personally think the Gibsons are wimpy sounding, and the Borla's are way too much money. The aluminized system I have on my truck will last well beyond the time I will have my truck....10 years or more. I paid $225.00 total including installation for a complete Magnaflow catback kit that I had a muffler shop weld rather than use the clamps that come with it.

Although I have seen the Borla kits (not including installation) for as low as $485.00, most places sell for around $600.00. Stainless steel exhaust is a waste of good money unless you are putting it on a show truck or car that the powertrain needs to "look good". Yeah, the stainless steel will last longer, probably longer than the rest of the vehicle will, but for the price.....

I can almost buy 3 complete systems at an installed price of what 1 Borla system costs for the kit alone.

Just my opinion.
    thanks for the response. I guess I'll leave the Gibson's on for now. Heard others have added resonator on after the muffler to get rid of resonance. I think it defeats the purpose of a catback to add on a resonator but will look into it as an option. It's too bad that I didn't keep my stock setup as I might have put it back on. Unfortunately I was playing with my torch and cut it into 20 little pieces for disposal.
    I know that this is off topic but was there a rumor about you being ZBAD71? If so, did anything become of it? Sorry about being off topic...just curious ;)
    Pure rumor. I have a little bit of respect for others here I think.
    Well after having both the Borla and Gibson I can guarantee that the Borla has LESS resonance in the cab then the Gibson. I fact I have a friend that is getting rid of his Gibson and getting a Borla after riding in mine with my new Borla. Not only is the Borla better in this respect it also fits better then the Gibson did and had less pieces.
    Were the Borlas dual out or single and how much and where did you purchase them? Thanks-

Dean
  • redharmonicaredharmonica Member Posts: 5
    I need to get a new exhaust system for my car... muffler, resonator, pipes. I was wondering if I left out the resonator, what effect would this have on the car? Is a resonator an important thing to have?
    just reduces the noise. What kind of Silverado is this ?????????????? Ask your local muffler shop about the resonator, give them a call I'm sure they'll be glad to help w/your questions!
    gone. Everyone who installs a catback knows to extend the exhaust tip past the bodyline to reduce resonance. I thought that my tip was past the bodyline. When double checking it sure wasn't. Pulled the tip out another 4 inches and lo and behold, the resonance is just about nil. Best guess would be about an 80% reduction of in cab resonance. What the reduction of resonance really does is to allow me to enjoy the wind noise coming from my rear windows. Not to sure which is more irritating. Goes into dealer Wednesday for window fix and about 8 other problems.
    Well, about a month ago i put true-dual straights on my 6.0L, and it is LOUD. I want to quiet it down a little, but not that much. I have had glass packs on my 97 tru-dual 350vortec, but the pipes made a sucking air sound, REALLY annoying. It was about the right loudness, though. I have also had the dual inlet/outlet 3-chamber Flowmaster, but it was too quiet. DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW GLASSPACKS AND THE 2-CHAMBER FLOWMASTER COMPARE, OR GLASSPACKS VS. ANY OTHER TURBO MUFFLER? I WANT SOME NOISE, so i think the borlas or gibsons are out of the question. Thanks.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    I have the 50 series..which is the 3 chamber..I have heard the 40 series which i believe is just the 50 series only 2 chambers

it is very deep sounding.. but it was on the 4.8L so i dont know how it would sound on the 6.0L...maybe better?

The flowmaster is pretty good...when i first got it, it was kinda quiet..now it has opened up and is gettin somewhat louder.I like it a lot
    There is only a very slight less tone from a 2 chamber compared to a Turbo glass pack muffler. They both have about the same interior resonance so I would go with the Turbo glass pack muffler for a deeper and richer tone.

I really like my Magnaflow. Best mix of exterior note, no interior resonance, and very cost effective. I have a single in, dual out, using 2.5 inch pipes to the rear. Best set up around for the 5.3l GM's. Blows the Borla's and Gibsons away, hands down. Go ahead and pay $500-$600 for a system that will outlive the truck. Waste of money. My Magnaflow will last as long as I will have the truck and then some and is less than 1/2 the cost of a Borla system. I'll spend the extra on some more mods......:)
    Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the magnaflow mufflers. I forgot that they were glass pack filled. I am used to getting the cheap straight through glass packs from my local muffler shop, which run about $30 each, so maybe the magnaflows would have a better sound. My worry with the flowmaster is that it would not be loud enough. i'll talk to my muffler shop this week and see what they have heard and what my price will be.

Thanks again.
  • billk5billk5 Member Posts: 14
    I went to a local muffler shop and they recommend a Flowmaster turbo. Has anyone had any experience with them.
    Flowmaster=awful popcorn sound in every one of their mufflers and systems, very little low end torque increase. Go Magnaflow. You won't regret it.
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    Hello Everybody:
    I am going to be ordering a 2000 Chevy Silverado regular cab sportside short box pick up with the 5300 series V-8 engine. I want to have a cat-back dual exhaust system installed on this vehicle. I want this system purely for that mellow rumble sound. I am going to order the trailer towing package which includes the hitch frame. I do not plan to do extensive towing. I want a good quality stainless steel system that last for a very long time, at least as long as the stainless steel system that comes with the truck.
    My questions are:
    1)What brand of exhaust system would you reccomend that would fit the above parameters?
    2)Is the hitch frame that I am ordering with the truck going to interfere with being able to have a dual exhaust system installed?
    Thanks in advance for any information you can provide me!
    Later,
    NB2169
    behind both rear tires.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    does not mess with the exhaust system

mine is custom and maybe hangs down below the rear bumper maybe 2 to 3 inches...looks sweet..real sporty looking

ive heard that dual exhaust behind the rear wheels isnt good

i think someone said that it chips the paint or something gets messed up...but im not sure
    Any stainless system is a waste of money. Even if you use aluminized systems, they will outlast the body of your truck.

Stainless is only worth the money in muscle show cars where engine dress is important.

Borla markets it's systems to be better and last longer. There are tons of aluminized systems out there that will last just as long as Borla's stainless and many actually have better low end torque gains.

If you like the Borla and don't mind the frivilous spending...great, but don't pass it off as better, because it just plain isn't.
    a**holes some are bigger than others, I don't see my purchase as frivilous I research things out before I buy. You like aluminized, fine, been there done that, they do ROT within the time frame I keep my vehicles as I HAVE had to replace aluminized systems in past.
    The information I pass on to others is based on my experience & use of products in my 30 years of driving/repairing vehicles which gives them a level playing field to evaluate their decision.

NB2169 asked for a recommendation which I gave, please don't berate someone's answer sinmply because you don't agree with it! Your sarcasism does not belong here. End of Story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray T.
    Thank you folks for the information reguarding my question about exhausts. I think from the information I am going to go for broke and get the Borla exhaust.
    rayt02:
    I agree with your assessment of aluminized exhaust systems. I've been driving for about 31 years and can remember when the vehicle manufacturers produced their vehicles with aluminized exhaust systems. It was almost always a given that you were going to replace the exhaust system after 3-4 years and the after market replacement systems never seemed to last more than 2 years. Perhaps they have improved aluminized systems since then, but, since vehicle manufacturers started using stainless steel exhaust, the systems last from 6-7 years. Anyway, this has been my experience and I live in Michigan where winter driving entails driving through snow, slush and salt. Thanks again for the imput!
    Later,
    NB2169
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    One thing to consider in making an aluminized system last longer is to paint it with high-temperature paint (1200 F). I painted mine with a silver than looks great (not that you can really see it anyway because the tips are chrome) and the paint hasn't peeled or discolored at all. This won't protect it from rusting from the inside out, but it will give the outside an extra layer of protection against winter driving conditions. Not bad for a $4.00 can of paint.
    -powerisfun
    so...are we going to install a set of headers?

For myself, I chose aluminum for my catback since I did not know how each system would sound and if I would like them thus making initial investment minimal if I had to take them off.

Powerisfun...
    I am negotiating price for a '00 Denali. I noticed that the 5.3 will be offered on 2001 model even though they are offering it on '00 Tahoe. When I test drove the Denali, it seems that the 5.7 has a little more torque on low end and that it does not like to rev like the 5.3. What other differences in the two motors besides the 5.3 getting 2 mpg more?
    Got the pics up, go to http://www.picturetrail.com/rayt2/60054

The Borla System is shown also.

Ray T.
    I had just read a post in another forum where a Chevy driver had a question on the difference in longevity between aluminum and s/s catbacks. What was interesting was the answer from a manufacturer of exhausts. He had stated that as long as you paint the welds with hi-temp paint, the aluminum should last as long as you want them to. If anyone wants more info on this please email. I do not want to start WWIII and will not reply to any posts regarding this info.
    Regarding your previous post. No headers for me just wanted to improve the exhaust system over stock. I am basically done with my refinements to this already great truck, window tinting all that remains to do now.

Ray T.
    Hey, seems like Big Brother has been active. I thought we were all protected by the First Amendment?? Oh well....
  • wtkingwtking Member Posts: 43
    Anybody out there have a Dynomax, or Edlebrock cat back system. Your opinions on quality, fit, and sound would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    You are QUITE free to say WHATEVER you want....

however, you are NOT free to say WHATEVER you want HOWEVER you want, as long as you are on the Edmunds nickel! As a conference participant you are bound by our User Agreement, which you may reach at any time by clicking on the appropriate tag at the upper left.

If you engage in redactive profanity or other inappropriate language, your posts will be removed. If the practice continues, YOU will be barred from Edmunds. This is a "family friendly" site. Behavior that would automatically kick in "Net Nanny" or other blocking software will NOT be tolerated.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
    had profanity in it? if so, was the author barred? or does it take multiple infractions? or is it solely at the discretion of the monitors? just curious...
    n/m
    No apologies needed but when civility leaves the postings they are scribbled as should be by the host. Some people are so hard pressed with their opinions to the point of needing to be censored by their comments.

The page is supposed to be friendly not adversarial. (spelling?)

On another note..........
    Took a long trip this weekend so was able to hear the different tones from Borla cat back system at different freeway speeds. It's tone never interfers w/conversation while cruising but is distictive enough to turn heads.
    I personnally like rolling down the windows & listening to it bounce off the buildings on streets of the village I pass thru alot, way cool............

Ray T.
    I understand. After reading some of the posts, I was wondering exactly where the line was being drawn. It seems that a lot of the posts should be deleted and certain individuals banned, I just don't seem to understand how it is determined, whether it's multiple posts or can a single post get you banned...

I'm in the market for a catback for the Denali...old style setup dual in single out. Was thinking of getting only the muffler...but saw how short the run is after the cats, may as well pick up the whole system. Guess I'll take a look at the Borla cause the wife definitely does not want resonance.
    This past weekend all Black, very sharp.

It's funny how I look for reason's to drive my truck these days just to listen to it........obsession my wife says, hey everybody has some little quirk in life, mine just happens to be my vehicles.

On the Borla, call their customer service rep and see what set up he suggests & where they have a distributor in area, they were helpful to me, my sales reps name was Bob Coza. I found Summit Racing to have the best price. I don't know what they would charge for shipping to the islands however so a call is warranted.

On your first issue, host's check posting's now & then from what I've seen but are also receptive to help from those of us who post & see what goes on daily. I have been scribbled also but only because I was stupid enough to get sucked in by someone's immature statement to which I responded. It just isn't worth feeding their compulsions so you let it be & notify host.

:-) Ray T.
    Hello Everybody:
    I posted #137 awhile ago asking for advice on purchasing a cat-back exhaust system for a 2000 Chevy Silverado Sportside pick up with the 5.3L V-8. Thank everyone who responded. After seeking all your advice, I decided to narrow my search to Borla, Gibson, or Flowmaster. The first two I liked because they both make a stainless steel system and the last I choose because they gave the best dicription of what the exhaust note would sound like for each system they sell. During the course of my research, I ended up calling all three manufacturers for info on all their systems. I immediately was able to rule out Flowmaster, because the representative told me the system they offered would probably not last for more than 2 years up here in Michigan due to the salt on the roads during winter. This was really no surprize to me as I have experienced the shortness of longevity of aluminized systems. Where I did get a surprize was between the Borla and Gibson systems. From the posts I read on this board, I fully expected that there would be a substantial price difference between the 2 systems with Gibson being the least expensive.WRONG!!! Gibson quoted me $546.00 for their stainless steel system for my application. Borla quoted me $490.00 for their stainless steel system for my application! Needless to say, I purchased the Borla system today and I anticipate recieving it within the next week. Now,if only the truck I ordered would arrive......
  • budlitedudebudlitedude Member Posts: 18
    The exhaust all the way down to your $490.00 stainless system is all aluminum. Do you really think the $490.00 was worth it when the whole exhaust is not stainless? If the exhaust will only last two years (I don't believe for a second it won't last at LEAST 5 years) then you will still be replacing the cat forward in 2 years because the whole exhaust comes from the factory as aluminum.
    n/m
This discussion has been closed.