Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• wcollinswcollins Member Posts: 45
    Well gang, I just finished watching Motor Week and they highlighted a 215 Turbo Neon,which they reported went from 0-60 in 6.0 flat on the Georgia Speedway. However, they did point out the track was cold and damp, which leads me to think it could do better with hot tires. If the engine being used is the same turbo as in the Neon it should be adequate.......I think. However, I still feel with 18" tires, it needs for HP. Maybe they are trying to save the transmission and drivetrain. It will be interesting to see what type of warranty comes with this car.
  • xa4xa4 Member Posts: 22
    Where did you get that they are putting a turbo in the Crossfire? It's equipped with the Mercedes 3.2 liter.
    I didn't know whether or not it's the same engine or not. I just made an observation that Chrysler had a 215 hp. engine in their Neon that was tested on Motorweek yesterday that got 0-60 in 6.0 sec. that sold for $19,900 fully equipped. I was wondering if it was the same engine. Since Chrysler and Mercedes are a joint venture, it is very possible it could have been the same engine, just tuned differently. The discussion was whether the Crossfire could get the job done with only 215 h.p., hence I made a comparison.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    The Chrysler Crossfire's engine,is taken from the current production MB-SLK. The MB-SLK has a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds. However, the Crossfire weighs less than the MB-SLK so I would expect the Crossfire to be a little faster. The new SLK is currently undergoing final testing and will be shown to the public sometime soon. Chrysler does not want the Crossfire to step on the SLK's turf when it hits the streets.
    It appears that what I written earlier is in fact true. Today, Sunday during the golf tournament on television, Chrysler ran a commercial on their cars. In which one was the Crossfire, which is different from the past Crossfire commercials. This one showed the engine badge on the side of the car to be a turbo, I believe 2.4 Turbo. Which leads me to think it's the same as the Neon. In addition, I read that the MB-SLk engine is not scheduled for testing until late this month or early April, which couldn't possibly be same engine in the Crossfire, this is due out in a couple of months. Which means the vehicle is already in production. It doesn't make since for a car company to develop two 215 hp engines, too expensive for them. Here are some stats on the vehicle from Chrysler's web page ...and I quote:

Check out the preliminary specs of Chrysler's latest Modern American Coupe-Chrysler Crossfire.

• Estimated vehicle weight: 3,000 lbs.
    • Length: 159.8 inches
    • Wheelbase: 94.5 inches
    • Front Overhang: 32.3 inches
    • Rear Overhang: 32.9 inches
    • Width: 68.9 inches
    • Height: 50.7 inches
    • Front Track: 58.2 inches
    • Rear Track: 58.3 inches
    • Front tires: 225/40ZR18
    • Front wheel size: 18 X 7.5 inches
    • Rear tires: 255/35ZR19
    • Rear wheel size: 19 X 9 inches
    • Exterior Color: Shown in Sapphire Silver Pearl with Starbrite Silver accents
    • Interior Colors: Shown in Dark Slate Gray and Cedar with Starbrite Silver accents
    wcollins, practically every article released about the Crossfire (numbering in the dozens) mentions that it will have 39% Mercedes content including the 3.2 liter V-6 that has been around for years. This is consistent in news releases from South Africa to Australia to the UK. If it's going to have a turbo, they're duping everyone and you're the only one who caught it.
  • bagekkobagekko Member Posts: 7
    Theres all this talk hear about 215HP, the fact is that the exact engine specifics are not released yet, they are keeping all details about the Crossfire very quiet. It could be a 2.7L or 3.2L V-6 and either way it will be supercharged, the Edmunds 215HP might be a typo, cause speculation has it at 275HP which the original concept had and the speculation on 0-60 is 5.7 seconds. The SRT Neon can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, saw a post bout someone doubting it was under 6 seconds. Pricing on the Crossfire will not be final till late April / early May, they are throwin otu $39k, wether that means loaded or starting who knows, originally it was expected to start at high 20's, the thing to be considered is that if it is more expensive than the Nissan Z the car will be a disaster, despite being built in Germany and being all MB technology, it's still a Chrysler..... I already have one of the first models setup for me, but if base is over $30k and/or it does not do 0-60 in under 6 seconds I will drop my order..
    There's nothing "very quiet" about what engine will be in the Crossfire. The only supercharged version will likely be an upscale model (think AMG). The following is copied directly from Chrysler's website. I don't know how much louder they can make it.

http://www.chrysler.com/chrysler_lifestyle/news_features/index.ht- ml#

The 2004 Chrysler Crossfire is a low-slung, two seat sports coupe with a sculptured appearance. Under its hood is a 3.2-liter 90-degree V-6, 18-valve SOHC engine available with a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. The sleek design, wheelbase and center exhaust system were maintained from the original Crossfire concept, while existing powertrain and axle components were shared from Mercedes-Benz.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    if only Chrysler would publish the pricing on this sweet machine so I can decide which direction to go on my next purchase.
    Pricing is definitely the major missing piece of the puzzle. If it's at or below a G35 Coupe, I'll be all over it. If the price climbs close to $40k, they can park them next to all the M-B Coupes that are piling up.

What other cars are you folks considering?
    I like the Crossfire, but a sports coupe is not necessarily the way I want to go.

The C230 Kompresser has my eye, but so do the 9-3 Arc, Miata Special Edition and the Z4.

I now commute with mass transit and my wife has an Escape if I ever need to haul things. So right now, I am just looking for the car that is the most fun. But it better be fun at around 35k max, as I have other things to spend money on.
    I would be happy if my loaded Crossfire w/ 6 Speed Manual was $33,000. Thats w/o a Nav System of course. Base model should be no more than $28,000 I'd say. Opinions?
    The high euro is going to be a problem, but with the Crossfire using many existing components, DC could bring it in around that price.
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    I was in Carlsbad, California this past week and was lucky enough to have witnessed the official press release for the Crossfire, Dodge Hemi trucks and the NEON SRT-4. I basically sat in the Crossfire, a white one to be exact. Chrysler had 15 Crossfires on Display!!!! Each car had blue colored Michigan Manufacturer Plates. The car is gorgeous in person, The pics don't do the car any justice at all. The white exterior is superb. The interior of the white car was black with full leather seating. The trunk is very unique. It is very deep but not very wide. It is certainly more roomy than the 350Z(I drove a 2003 Z this week too). I asked the German gentleman showing me the car about weight, hp, etc. He only knew the weight in Kilos. When converted it is something like 3100lbs. He claimed that the crossfire doesn't have a spare tire. I think he's right b/c the trunk is so deep and the exhaust set up is centralized in the rear. The car has a nice throaty sound upon startup and soft acceleration. The entire car is built in Germany. Many parts are derived exactly from the MB 500SL. The car looks like the SL too. The car seemed to have a high build quality. The interior materials were very nice. the doors and trunk shut with confidence. The rear wing I believe is manual and automatic. I don't know what else to say but WOW!! I heard the SRT-8 is unreal-the Durango look alike
    Thanks for the info, Philly. How did you swing the press release?

Did they offer any more information re. pricing? What other colors did they show? Any mention of available options?

I'm glad to hear that the trunk is deep since I was wondering if the trunk space would be too limited. Did it look like a couple of golf bags would fit?
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    I didn't officially "crash" the party but the cars were on display for all to see. 2-3 bags would fit def. fit without any problem. No options mentioned. I personally only saw red, silver and white. No pricing info whatsoever. Nada. I heard the Crossfire was being filmed on the road during the week. Who knows??
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    At the Motor Trend show in B'more, MD, they have a silver one up on display. And yes, Philly, it does indeed look SO much better in person. I was just staring at it...the interior looks great in person, as does the whole vehicle.

I find it funny, though, that they are trumpeting the German-American collaboration when the only think I hate about the Crossfire is the German 215 hp V6. What about putting the Chrysler 2.7L and supercharging it, like they did in the concept? (I am assuming it was the Chrysler 2.7L they used...) Or indeed, the 4 cyl. SRT-4 engine produces a minimum of 215 hp...some have rated it easily at 223 at the wheels, or even more. and torque is wonderful too.
    The Crossfire (and other Chrysler vehicles) is going on tour. You'll need to call the toll-free number to get the schedule.

http://www.chrysler.com/route2003/chrysler.html
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    TheCarConnection.com has driven the Crossfire and given it a positive review:

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5900
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Since MB is starting to replace the 3.2L with
    the 3.7L in their line up (ML 350 was first),
    I would think the Crossfire would get it by the
    '06 MY.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    And the preliminary review answers the question most of us had: the car will be almost entirely about style and not competitive in performance areas .... not that this is a condemnation or even a criticism, but Chrysler needs a broad market and so is putting out a beautiful car that, like the PT Cruiser and other Chryslers, is about lookin'good.

The aftermarket hasn't been able to do too much with the Benz version of the engine, however, and the comments on the seating suggest upgrades would be needed on the interior, too. So I wouldn't hold out much hope there.

Too bad. I was hoping for an American car other than the Vette to allow some drivers to get serious. For now, it sounds like Chrysler has opted for another Thunderbird. Not surprising, but personally a little disappointing.

JW
  • gcomstock1gcomstock1 Member Posts: 8
    They are running a promo at BestBuy dot com. Click on the Celine Dion link near the bottom of the page; single entry by 5/4. Five winners get a trip for two to Vegas to see her show; one of them will win a new 2004 Crossfire ARV $38K per the rules.
    I found out that only those dealers that make a special commitment will get the Crossfire (ie pay extra/bid for them) so that means every single dealer will be selling them way over MSRP b/c they had to pay over invoice. So that will definitely put the car $40k. Combined w/ ordinary performance b/c no supercharged engine right away. Equals big waste of money!!! Why would they produce a Thunderbird like disaster, I hope to see them sitting on the lot unsold! BAD MOVE CHRYSLER!!! You had something with a lot of potential and BLEW IT!! I'll just get another BMW, which won't depreciate $1000 a month like the Crossfire will...
    I am not following your argument. If the Crossfire's are just going to be sitting on the lot, why would the dealer's overcharge for them?

Usually, you charge less for products that do not sell and more for those that do.

Is there a reason Chrysler dealers would want to price something so high no one bought it? As far as I know, you can only make profits on sales if you actually make a sale.
    It's pretty simple and I thought my logic was clear. Dealers will be charging over MSRP b/c Chrysler is basically giving the cars to the highest bidder ie over normal invoice, so to make a profit the dealer will have overcharge for them. So they "should" be sitting on the lot b/c any intelligent person would realize that you could get an overall better car for less money...ie 350Z, BMW 3 Coupe or Z4, TT. I do not expect an dealer to be charging less than $40k for the base...ouch!

The only reason I was gonna get a crossfire is if it was eligible for the dealer employee discount.
    Well, maybe it is just me, but I cannot figure why a dealer would price something at a point where no one will buy it.

What possible advantage would a dealer get from not selling something?
    Perhaps the first couple thousand (or more?) will go on pre-sales, in fact. Not necessarily because the buyers believe the car will be good, or even care, but bercause it will be the latest hot topic ... and it is stunningly beautiful to look at. The Thunderbird, since it's been mentioned, was well over MSRP for awhile and still sells though it is well out of its value range.

This seems to be another car that will sell to a certain, limited, "boulevard" market based on style, and for style such customers will be willing to buy without regard for comparisons with any other vehicle.

JW
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    At 40k...they better put sum mercedes emblems on this thang, or else it aint goin no where fast.
    Jwislon - You may be right, they may be able to sell them all with ease as the "hot topic" but DaimlerChrysler is in the midst of a rebranding for the american divisions. The Pacifica & Crossfire are the early cornerstones for that. But don't call the Crossfire a sports car, they lost that title when they decided to not supercharge the engine this year.

A car that can barely break the 7 second barrier on 0-60... HELLO the Neon SRT-4 & 300M & other cars they make can.... this is suppose to be your new flagship sports car??? If they used the concept 275HP engine which spec'd 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, then it might be worth $40k!

As for now.....it's a good looking novelty coupe thats about it.

Wait till the mag's starting doing group reviews on it's class.... it will be in last place.... Could of been a different story.... and performance will be the reason why.
    Yes, the 0-60 of the Crossfire will probably not be at the level of some of the other cars.

But is 0-60 the sole arbiter of what a sports car makes? Each one of the buff rags has a first drive of the Crossfire this month. Each one speak highly of its ride and handling.

It may well be that some of the competitors still beat out the Crossfire on the skid pad and slalom. But if the Crossfire does well in these but not the 0-60, why should it be discounted? Personally, I have more fun on the curving, open roads than I do racing from stop light to stop light.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    I'm not sure where you got your info, but you are wrong. There will be no dealer "bidding" for the Crossfire. The dealership where I work has already been told how many to expect of the first year model + or - one or so, as to avoid potential buyer bidding. Yes, the dealers who chose to sell them have to purchase special tools for their shop since the powertrain and other components are new to us. We also had to send at least one technician to special classes on the Prowler and Viper, and buy special tools, before the factory would allow us to sell them. This did nothing to change either the market or the price of those vehicles.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    From http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5942&sid=17- 3&n=156
    Autostick $35,570 Manual $34,570 including shipping and many features.
    jglackin - My info came from the owner of a dealer who is a good friend of the family for the past 30 yrs... I don't think he'd lie to me.. What do you do for the dealer you work for? I'm sure they're keeping the dealings hush hush.. Allocations have been determined, but if you don't met Chryslers terms, fat chance on getting them anytime soon.
    I outlined the terms. I am in a position to know. Since you are clearly not, move on. Thanks for not trying to sway the decision of potential owners anymore.
    Whether your right or I'm right makes no difference, perhaps theres different criteria for different dealers.

Why would my info sway buyers? That is not my intention, only voicing my opinions.

Anyways, nothing will change my disappointment with the Crossfire plan. My original prediction to it's success was Price at or under $30k and all around performance. It's failed those criteria.

What I can't understand is how the determined the price. It's almost completely exsisting MB technology & parts that have been around for years, the cost to build should be cheaper than any concept launch. The only thing I can think of is yes thats true, but price it high, then larger margins, considering Daimler is struggling w/ the USA division profits.

But Chrysler & screwing up launches goes hand in hand..... I pray for those that buy it that the car has a residual of 50% or more after 3 years or else get the salts out for the bath....
    Hey, Glackin, how about checking your attitude and ego at the door? This is an open forum for open discussion. Your posts embody the attitudes of typical car salespeople who know it all. If you represent the Chrysler marque, I'd steer clear too.
    no attitude or ego...just trying to participate in a valuable way, and not trying to pass on rumors. MOST people would want relyable info instead of rumors. Also, that was my only post (there was the ego).
  • jamessrjamessr Member Posts: 16
    If you are not selling the Crossfire and you are just a buyer then be the buyer and let us do the selling.
    For all of those Beamer and Benz people you pay a different price for the same things to go wrong. Chrysler may not be the foriegn animal that you want to buy but it will become an animal that you can overall afford as time goes on. If you want all of that power and all of the gadgets go ahead and spend the thousand's that you do.
    I may be a bottom feeder (salesman) but I do believe in the product I sell and the direction Chrysler is going. If I can sell a Crossfire over sticker then so be it I made alot of money for myself and the happiest customer isn't always the one who buys at the cheapest price. It is my job and my skills that make you happy with your purchase and keep you coming back to me.
    I bet you I could sell you a Yugo with a 0-60 in under 6.0 and have all of the gadgets you could ever want but you know what you wouldn't buy it because it's a Yugo.
    So grow up and compare the car to it's class and let it be. I know plenty of morons who buy a car because of a badge or a name. So go ahead make the market cheap all of you who buy cars at invoice when you trade them in will get only what you payed for. So don't come crying to me or complaining to me when I tell you your trade doesn't amount to much because you bought it as cheap as you could.
    Dealers like you in your business are here to make a profit. That is the bottom line. If I come off like a jerk sorry but a fair profit is enough to sell cars for and not the outreageous prices some customers seek. Like you I need to put food on the table as well and as long as there is an open and free market society out there then those who wish to capitalize on it should.
    I am into this business but not to the extent where I know about every nickel and dime spent or given but I do know and am realistic enough to know that volume does it every time. There are those out there willing to spend more then they have to for a Crossfire. All I plan on doing is starting at sticker. The dealer commitment as mentioned before is what my store is paying to sell and service them which comes out of dealer pocket around 8,000 dollars.
    Once again it is a free market society and all we try to do is turn a profit. If I give it to you for free how long would I stay in business?
    Oh and by the way. It's the competition between dealerships and the lowest price that earns your business. So to say cometition corrupts is ludicrous. Without competition you would have no choice but to buy my product at my discretion and pricing.
    I am not here to defend a position, or even take one, and I am really not sure how some folks got offended by anything I wrote. I am a long-time salesperson for a very reputable dealership, but I know that means nothing to all of you as I have not earned your trust (only that of my customers).

I have reasons for reading and posting on this site. One, read divers'/ future drivers' comments about the cars I sell so that I can have EVEN more information to pass on to my customers. The other, to provide reliable information to those of you who do read these posts (which you can chose to believe or discount).

Now, can we please get back to the Crossfire? Thanks
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    from whom I have bought three cars offered to sell me one of his four incoming Crossfires at msrp. He confirmed that the price will be $35K.
    Too bad the two kidz will only fit in the T&C!

Jay
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I've removed a couple of off-topic/personal posts. Let's stick to the car, folks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tjtalberttjtalbert Member Posts: 4
    Any tall people had a chance to sit in the crossfire? I'm wondering about head and leg room.

Thanks,

Tim
    I did and it fits fine. Lowered bucket seat helps. Leg room equiv to a vette allows for those taller to stretch their legs out on long drive. Now all I need is Celine in the passenger seat with me and would be perfect
    I am 6' 3" and 270. Chrysler is touring one on training class for some other cars. Sat in it last week. Beatuiful in person, plenty of room. Nobody drove, sorry.
    I checked out the Crossfire in Atlanta at the Chrysler Route 2003 show. I drove 3.5 hours thinking I would be able drive one but wasn't able. Is that where you saw it Glackin?

My impressions didn't change much after seeing it in person. It was a static disply with no power on the car but we could open the hatch, hood, doors, etc. and poke around. As I passed an SLK on the road driving to the event I really noticed its tiny proportions. I think the Crossfire appears larger due to it's bulging sheetmetal.

The inside is small. I read one can put two golf bags in the hatch/trunk with the woods removed. I'd like to see that. It's deep but narrow and short front-to-back. As someone said, you don't so much sit in the Crossfire as wear it.

I'm only 5'6" and it felt like my head was within two or three inches of the headliner. But, since I couldn't move the seat, I don't know how much lower it will go.

My biggest disappointment is the texture of the plastic materials in the cabin. Others have commented on the Mercedes switch quality. I don't argue with that but the pebbled finish of the dash and door panels appeared a bit cheesy. The corners of the silver-painted console near where your right elbow would be had been worn through to the black plastic. I didn't notice any other wear areas so this could be particularly vulnerable spot. It made the interior of my A4 seem even more impressive.

I'll hold out to drive one when they arrive at dealers. Until then, it's not a "gotta have" for me.