Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee - Oil pressure problems

shagy1shagy1 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Jeep
I replaced my oil pump 13,000 miles ago and now the gauge goes to 0 and the check engine light comes on when I pull up to a stop light. Then when I take off it goes back up to about 30 psi. Every once in a while it jumps up to about 60 psi and goes down to about 20psi at an idle. Then next time I drive it it goes back to the 30psi and 0. Does this mean a bad oil pump again or could it just be the gauge?

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Most likely wear inside the engine. At higher engine speeds the pump is running faster and so if there is excessive clearance somewhere the pump starts pushing enough oil to overcome the flow and then the pressure rises. When you slow down, the pump does to and then it cannot keep up with the flow demand.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It wouldn't hurt to screw in an analog gauge and see what it says. Also what grade and brand of oil are you using, and what brand of oil filter are you using?
  • Options
    BsimmersBsimmers Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with an2005 Jeep liberty 6 cyl I had the oil uptake tube changed and put in a better filter ,and it made no difference.