Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    raln48raln48 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for your reply kyfdx.
    I originally negotiated the specifics of the lease deal in February when the base MF was .00225. The particular negotiating point relative to that variable was that the dealer would pass along their buy rate. Just prior to closing on the lease after the car arrived (on April 8th), I became aware from this forum that the MF was lowered to .00195. At closing when the dealer presented the lease document, the MF was at .00225. I conveyed that I was aware of the rate drop and told them I wouldn't sign unless the rate was adjusted to .00195. They did not want to do this initially, but grudingly agreed to it after things got somewhat uncomfortable for them during subsequent discussion in the closing room. They ultimately told me that BMWFS would have to agree to the change. Now I understand why -- they had back-dated the lease and could not bump me up on the money rate which was not in effect in March.
    I resent the fact that they blamed this on BMW -- at least they could have been honest about it saying that it was better for the dealership to do this. The more I thought about the whole thing -- and then being invoiced 12 days after closing on the lease for the second payment ($575), the more that this situation bothered me.
    I definitely will take your advice and meet with the sales mgr and GM if need be. If they dust me off, I'll pursue the matter with BMW and BMWFS.
    To treat any customer in this way is not consistent in my mind of what BMW is all about.

Thanks again for your reply. I'll follow up with a brief note on how this concludes.
  • Options
    mikenybmwmikenybmw Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking at 2003 CPO 2003 330Ci 5-speeds. I've seen them between 29k-31k. They offer 3.9% and the first two months on bmw financial if purchusaed by april 30. First, has anyone bought a CPO from bmw and how firm are they on the list prices? Second, Does BMW often have monthly deals on their off-lease CPO's? Im in the market but don't wana rush it just to buy something by april 30th. I know the 2007 330ci is coming out too, which is out of my league as far as pricing, so I thought perhaps they might be a little forviging on their listed prices of the 2003 CPO's. Any advice?
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I know this is for the cic, I just forgot to type the final c. You are right, convertibles are in season now, the tread starter's quote is not bad for the car, given the extra tax break on his trade-in. I just wanted to let him know of what was coming out in the near future, and voice my opinion that it seems better financially (future resale) and most likely performance-wise to wait. Also, for this price, he might want to check out an m3.

As far as future resale, I would have absolutely no worries about an E46 BMW. This body style is so beloved by BMW buyers. The resale on E46 sedans haven't changed a bit now that the E90 sedans have been out for almost a year. I'd imagine the convertibles to act similarly.

As for the M3, the base price is about $10k higher than a base 330cic... Even though the 330cic sticker is $53k, most M3 convertibles run for over $60k and there is typically little to no negotiation.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    My local dealer has one advertised in the paper today.. '03 330Ci with sport package and manual tranny..

29K miles and asking price of $28,900...

There is always a little wiggle room on the asking price of a used car.. but, maybe not a lot.. As far as the special APRs? BMWFS usually runs a special on the more popular 3-yr old, just off-lease models.. but, you can never count on the same deal from month-to-month..

There might be some decent lease deals, but I wouldn't bet on it.. By the time you figure that the maintenance is only covered for the first year, you'd probably be better off leasing a new one.

Are you sure the 330 models qualify for the 3.9% APR and the first two payments? The same ad from my local dealer says that only 325i and 325Ci qualify..

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If you are sure you got the .00195 rate.... then, I'd try to be really nice, and see if they will give you $200 back, or a credit in the parts department... Maybe some nice winter mats or something like that...

That is goofy, though... Most BMW dealers wouldn't take a chance on back dating a lease that far... A day or two, maybe..

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    blgblg Member Posts: 2
    I live in SC, and just negotiated the following new car order:

2006 330ci Jet Black
    Performance Pkg
    Sand Leather
    Xenon

36month 15K/yr
    618/month w/ 1442 signing fees.

In a nutshell, 2354 off sticker, .00195 money factor.

Does this sound like a reasonable deal for dying breed, albeit a great one... This is my first BMW (and lease for that matter).

Also, I'm considering Performance Center Delivery. Should I stop considering it, and just tell the dealer to send the car there?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
  • Options
    mikenybmwmikenybmw Member Posts: 3
    yes, ive inquired with all my local dealers, all say the 3.9% is good on the 2003 325s and 330s along with the first two payments on bmw. one dealer did tell me in an email that they have $500-$1000 'wiggle' room on the cpo's. not sure why they would say that upfront, it made me wonder then in reality what the true wiggle room is.
  • Options
    I guess it all depends on how much they are asking.. $31K probably means a lot of wiggle room... $29K for the same car probably means not much. ;)

I don't have any knowledge about the 3.9%... Just quoting what the ad said in my paper..

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The 330Ci has a base MF of .0015... Looks like they are jacking that up on you...

I think if you live in SC, the PCD is a no-brainer!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    blgblg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, kyfdx.

I haven't signed a lease agreement yet; just a purchase order. Think I can haggle on the money factor at this point? Otherwise, is the pricing reasonable?
  • Options
    Sounds fairly loaded.. the price doesn't look bad... Dropping the money factor will save you around $30/mo..

BMW dealers really like to mark-up the money factor... It can't hurt to try..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    With the new 3-Series coupes coming out in the summer, does anyone know if BMW is giving dealer incentives on remaining '06 Coupes. I am considering placing an order for an '06 330ci. I'm wondering what the opinions are on how much I can get off of MSRP. Could I be lucky enough to get invoice?

Thanks
  • Options
    JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    While I'm posting...

I went and drove an '05 330ci with performance package. It has the cold weather package and xenons as the other options. Only 5500 miles. They are asking 40k. What do you think a fair price is for the car. $40k is a bit high to me when I think if I haggled enough, I can get on '06 for close to that.

Opinions are appreciated...

Thanks

Stacy
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    330Cic, performance package, auto, xenon, BMW assist, Cold weather, metallic paint....list is 53,245, quote is $1,500 off list (free floormats and shipping), plus about $1,200 higher on my trade than the next closest dealer. Financing rate is good right now at 2.9% for 60 months.

Forgot to ask how and where you're getting 2.9% financing.... :confuse:
  • Options
    evoicevoic Member Posts: 22
    I bought a 330i in 2001, paid for half in cash.
    In 2003, I sold the car to a dealer, pulled $10k cash out of the car, and rolled $4500 into a 3yr lease for an identical version of the car. (Sport/Premium, Leather, Blk/Blk, Auto, Xenon, HK sound)
    Now - in 2 months, my lease for this car is up.
    My car "blue books" for about $33k retail, $28,250 private, and $25,400 trade-in value.
    I currently owe $24,700 after the payment I make in 3 days.

Here's the dilemma. I am paying $465 monthly and I do not want my payment to go up, but I only have $1,000 cash to spend on a lease. (instead of $4,500 that I rolled into it last time) I am willing to leave the premium package off of the next 330i that I get, which will save me $2,200 retail.

Without the dealership GIVING ME MONEY for the lease that I am turning into them on June 28th, I don't think that there is any way that I can get the deal I want.

How does one go about negotiating some kind of value out of a car that they have to release in 2 months anyway??

Should I just sell it? I'd dump it for $27,500 if I knew I could find a buyer quickly, but I don't know how easy that would be and if it's worth it anyways.

Any ideas here? Thank you!
  • Options
    daveyboydaveyboy Member Posts: 5
    I would choose none of those.

First off it would be cheaper to lease out the 330i b/c of the difference in money factors. Second I Just picked up my 330xi which was equipped as follows:
    premium
    cold weather
    auto
    navigation

My MSRP was about $45500 and my lease deal is this: 560/month for 27 months. 15k, no money down, taxes in the payment(8.625%). Just first month and bank fee up front. I think you are getting a terrible deal. for the 36 month leases the 330i has a lower mf and hgiher residual than the 325 and it comes with more equipment. Go with that.
  • Options
    jvprjvpr Member Posts: 48
    what was your beacon score to get these numbers?
  • Options
    My local dealer has a car like yours.... Asking $29K.. That is CPO with the extended warranty, etc.. I doubt you have much positive equity in your car.. I could be wrong, though..

If you put $4500 down to get a $465/mo. payment three years ago, it seems doubtful you could get the same payment with only $1000 down in 2006. That works out to about $100/mo. less.. I don't think cars are getting any cheaper, and there really aren't any extra lease incentives on the 3-series right now..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    around 800, i qualified for the highest credit rating
  • Options
    paultxrnpaultxrn Member Posts: 5
    It's above 800, that's all I know.
  • Options
    That sounds like good advice, except that i'm having trouble locating a 330i with those options. There seems to be a lack of inventory in my area. My current leased vehicle has to be turned in by May 7th, so i have a deadline to meet. I'll see what I can find and compare the numbers.
  • Options
    you can always order a car and extend your lease for a month or two
  • Options
    evoicevoic Member Posts: 22
    I didn't mention only 30k miles, M racing wheels, Factory Alarm, and a handful of other goodies that add to the final price. What I think I REALLY need to know is that if I dump it for $26-$27k to a private buyer, how bad am I going to get hit with fees that I don't know about?? I live in California and I'm not exactly sure about what the rules are for taxes on a sale like that.
  • Options
    vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    BMWFS will extend the lease for two months at the old rate with no questions asked. If you have a car on order they will extend it up to 6 months. So you should do a European delivery and get a nice discount on the car without having to worry about turning it in.
  • Options
    jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    Someone suggested looking at the 330XI instead of the 325XI because the money factor was lower. They were right!

I was able to get the payment down from $635 to $623 just by switching to the 330XI.
  • Options
    I'm sorry I was not clear.....i do not currently lease a BMW. I am leasing a Lexus.
  • Options
    flbmwflbmw Member Posts: 6
    Have you asked the dealer whether they can locate a car for you at another dealer or even circumvent one already coming in at the port (even if its outside of your geographic)? If they are successful doing this, ETA is less than two weeks.
  • Options
    wayne6wayne6 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the process of negotiating with several dealers in the L.A. area. I'm looking for a sedan with mystic blue, premium and sport packages, comfort access, fold down rear seats, steptronic and pre-wiring for satellite. MSRP is $43,420; Invoice is $39,800.

In addition, I want to add the spoiler which is listed as an accessory. MSRP is $365 w/o install.

One dealer claims that an OTD price, giving the dealer only $800 profit is $45,811. Think it's $45,153 per my math:
    $39,800 - Edmunds Invoice on my deal (excluded spoiler)
    400 - spoiler (painted and installed per dealer)
    800 - Dealer profit
    $41,000
    X
    1.0825 - Sales tax
    $44,382.50
    385 - MACO (Dealer claims he has to charge)
    $44,767.50
    386 - CA DMV Registration
    $45,153.50 -OTD

Is the dealer blowing smoke? Is $45,811 a good deal? How much fat is still in the deal? Any advice is welcome.
  • Options
    I been working with dealers both in and out of state. In fact I had a very nice offer from Shreveport, LA at $500 over invoice, and now he can't find me the car I wanted.
  • Options
    raln48raln48 Member Posts: 34
    I met with the sales manager of the dealship this morning.
    He wasn't defensive and quickly sought to resolve the concern. He initially offered to reimburse me based on allowing me .20-cents per mile for 41 miles per day times the 8 days that the contract was back-dated. The 41 miles per day was based on 15k miles per year covered in the lease. This would have given me about $65.
    I conveyed that I would be satisfied if he settled at ($575/30)*8 -- or $153. He agreed to this saying that it made better sense. The dealership cut a check for that amount.
    The entire discussion was direct and cordial on both sides.
    He ended up keeping a customer happy, and I ended up with a fair resolution.

kyfdx -- thanks for your advice and help. The advice and information on this forum helped me save an additional $1,500 on the overall lease transaction; beyond what I could have negotiated on my own. In conjunction with that, the facts provided here served to instill a sense of confidence in my approach with the dealership -- and that helped me avoid the typical nonsense that one usually experiences when dealing on a new car.

Many thanks.
    raln48

PS: I confirmed the .00195 MF.
  • Options
    teodulogteodulog Member Posts: 5
    Im not sure if this is too late to help you but this is the deal I just agreed to.

330i
    Auto, Sport, Prem, I-drive, Comfort Access, Sunshades, Metallic
    36\15K
    MSRP $45,920
    Cap Cost $43,075 ($42,075 invoice, $620 markup, $380 maco)
    MF 0.00195
    RV 62%
    PMT $590.18 (tax included)
    Due at Signing $1,663.46 ($590.18 1st month, $348 lic and reg, $625 inception, $45 tags, $55.28 tax)

I live in the SFV but will get if from Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo.
  • Options
    flbmwflbmw Member Posts: 6
    Can you give me the details as to the exact car you are looking for (all optional packages/equipment, color, etc)? I'll look it up for you and let you know if there are any on the way into the U.S.
  • Options
    jd54jd54 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what dealer you used? I live in NYC and from the tax rate it looks like you may have bought in NY. I am looking for exactly the same car.
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    But when the new ones come out you can get the old ones I bet for $4K under invoice. This is what happened when the the '04 5s came out. I got an $8K discount off of sticker on a 530.
  • Options
    flbmw... Can you drop me an e-mail? Just click on my username to get the address.

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I got it at Difeo. I went outside my immediate area and the dealer was hungry to do the deal.. Excellent experience. I live in NY which is why the tax rate is what it is but got the car in jersey. let me know if u need any more help.
  • Options
    bronxbornbronxborn Member Posts: 7
    Gentlemen - Family member called me because he is about to lease a 2006 330xi. I asked him for the terms but I have been unable to make the numbers work. I suspect the dealer modified some of the numbers before giving him the "best" offer on a lease payment. Can you help me evaluate this deal? Here is what I know:
    2006 330xi with premium pkg + satellite radio (that's it)
    27 month lease with 15,000 miles
    MSRP $41,995
    Residual 71%
    Money factor .00195
    $2500 cap cost reduction and $4900 out the door (he knows it does not make sense to put a lot of mopney down but he needs to have a low monthly payment)
    Monthly payment $419 (down from the dealer's original number of $469)

What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    wayne6wayne6 Member Posts: 8
    Here's the deal I made from Nick Alexander: mystic blue; Steptronic; grey interior; popular trim; comfort access; premium and sport packages; satellite wiring, only; fold down seats and rear spoiler (accessory). MSRP 43,815. Invoice around $41,560. OTD was $45,600 w/ flat bed pick up and loaner for maintenance. Good deal?
  • Options
    bogmancomethbogmancometh Member Posts: 6
    Looking to purchase a 2006 325XI

Jet Black
    Auto Trans
    Heated Seats

Those are the only options on this vehicle.

MSRP $35,345 INVOICE $32,460

What would be a good target price for me?
  • Options
    lahermanolahermano Member Posts: 16
    well my 2 cents of my 1 month dealing with bmw dealerships in MA

This car is not a rare combo, every one has in-stock. you can get a sweet deal at invoice price + MACO $350 + TRAINING Service Fees $180. If it is at the end of month even better you could even get mats and wheel locks.

I made a deal but decide not to buy because the interior is black leatherette, which i hate hate hate.

The only complaints i have with BMW is their poor choice of interior colors and bad interior. After paying somuch for the vehicle one must pay to get leather huh!

Why in the hell, they think people love black as default.
    i can deal with exterior black but not interior. Every other car they have in stock is a black leatherette. If leather got to pay another $1000+.

I AM VERY POPULAR AND BLACK LISTED WITH MA BMW DEALERS :-)

HTH all the best for u'r purchase
  • Options
    moose123moose123 Member Posts: 15
    After much deliberation (it took me two years to buy my previous car, an A4, in 1998), I bought yesterday (on order) a 325i manual, with sport, leather, power seats, cold weather, xenon lights, and metallic paint (arctic), for $34,745 (invoice) plus 1 percent, or $35,092.45. The car is on order, and should arrive in mid June.

An interesting part of the negotiation was that I originally wanted to lease, after negotiating the price, but the dealer would not budge on a marked-up money factor (0035, I think). They said they needed to make money somewhere. So I bought the car. They wanted to finance at 6.99, but I can do better, I believe, so I declined that too.

I guess a few lessons were learned. It paid to negotiate over the net. Many dealers refused to put anything in writing, instead wanting to speak over the phone, but I prefered to do it via email. Getting a good price on the car may not lead to a great lease price, because the dealer may want to mark up the rates. I believe the price I got was good, another dealer in Northern Virginia told me they could not come close, and to buy the car at the 1% over price.

Let's hope all works out well. Cheers!
  • Options
    mleanhmleanh Member Posts: 17
    moose:

can you tell me what dealership in the dc area you purchased from? thanks.
  • Options
    moose123moose123 Member Posts: 15
    Fairfax BMW, but I got the price through the internet person, who I probably found through Edmunds internet submission. Let us know what happens. PS, BMW Arlington told me that they could not match, and to buy at Fairfax.
  • Options
    rired228rired228 Member Posts: 1
    I emailed BMW and asked them if it was ok to use 87 octane, they responded with the following reply:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding fuel for a new BMW 3 Series. We are happy to address your query.

BMW recommends premium gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91 AKI. Our BMW engines are equipped with knock sensors and will adapt automatically to different octane ratings, provided the minimum octane requirement (87 AKI) is met. Fuels with higher octane ratings will provide
    enhanced performance with lower fuel consumption; however, fuels with lower octane ratings will have the opposite effect.

I have had the car for two month now and have never used premium fuel. I get 30 mpg on the highway and i have been averaging 25.5 mpg overall.

I have plenty of performance, this car screams! :) Best car I have ever owned (325xi)!
  • Options
    mleanhmleanh Member Posts: 17
    thanks moose. i had the same luck at arlington- they were not willing to deal too much on the 330i, even though they have quite a few in stock.
  • Options
    laderakingladeraking Member Posts: 69
    Wow that sounds like a great deal. What dealership is this at. I am looking for a similiar deal.
  • Options
    jqutie888jqutie888 Member Posts: 1
    hello - i was offered something similar, perhaps slightly better.

330i with all the options, premium package, sports package, comfort package, satellite radio etc. totalled around 45K.

36 month lease
    12,000 miles
    5,000K down
    About $450/month
  • Options
    If you dont mind could you display the money factor/residual and all that other stuff based on the numbers you just posted?
    I am trying to secure a deal close to yours.
    Thank you
  • Options
    Wow, that is a great deal. What did the deal start with. How did you get it?
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

Based on this deal, what would my down payment need to be to get the monthly to 470?

I only need 12k a year.