Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• orabmworabmw Member Posts: 1
    I was told by my sales guy that 99% of people dont get the car alarm on bmw's these days. That is because it already has a drive away alarm built-in while the car is locked. Any advise on how secure is the car without the alarm?

Thanks.
  • mkpravinmkpravin Member Posts: 7
    Can anybody please tell me what to look for when going in for a 325 or 330 lease interms of residual value, money factor, tax etc. I would really like to lease one but i have never done this before and any help is greatly appreciated. I have picked out a couple of cars.
    325i - premium package, streptronic, leather, moonroof, xenon, ~ 33,000
    325ci - sport package, streptronic, leather, moonroof, xenon ~ 37,000
    330i - sport package, streptronic, moonroof, xenon etc ~ 41000

I would like to get a lease which will let me drive upto 17000-18000 miles a year. Is it a better option to buy the car given my mileage requirements (specially with the 1.9% financing offered by BMW). Also is the 3000 rebate the only deal available now on the BMW's.
    Thanks...
  • drharrisdrharris Member Posts: 7
    Glad to hear someone else likes the SMG (and I didn't shoot myself in the foot by closing the deal in August instead of September). I had the same analysis (wife can't drive a manual), but I must confess, she hasn't driven it yet (she just got a new 300 HP Volvo V70R so maybe that has something to do with it). The real problem is for my soon-to-be-16-year-old who saw the car in the driveway and immediately said "I'm NEVER gonna get to drive that, am I?". Never is a mighty long time, but probably not for awhile ;)

I'm still having a ball driving it, playing with the Sport mode to see which I like better. The shift is considerably faster in Sport but also much less smooth in lower gear / at lower RPM than non-Sport. If you momentarily take your foot off the gas when shifting (as you do with a regular manual), it smooth out just fine.

For the first time, I'm wishing I had a longer commute...

Enjoy.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    Here is a link for lease residuals and money factors for the 325i and 330i..

Car_man "Lease Questions - Ask Here" Sep 8, 2004 8:27am

I assume those are sale prices on those cars you listed?

The 325i has a $1500 dealer incentive
    The 330i has a $3000 dealer incentive

If you are driving 18K per year, I think buying would be better on either of those, especially the 330i, and take the 1.9% financing.

All of the incentives on the coupe are on the lease side, except for the 1.9% buy financing. They have low money factors and high residuals.. If getting the 325Ci, it would probably be a better deal to lease and pay the mileage penalty at the end.

This late in the year, you should be looking at paying invoice + $500 - incentive for a new sedan.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    I’ve considered the issue and decided to have an alarm installed in my new 330. The engine disabler should be a key point for the insurance companies but it doesn’t help out with your premium for comprehensive (break-in, theft of contents, radio, etc.). Street thieves many times are interested only in what’s laying around in the car rather than trying to steal the whole car. I want the red clown nose on the mirror to flash so people know an alarm is active. I also like the fact that, with the alarm installed, I can opt to have an audible signal let me know for sure that I locked the car and the alarm is active. You don’t get that without the alarm - only a flash of the lights. Finally, my insurance company provides a discount of 10% (albeit only on the comprehensive portion of my premium) for an installed alarm; there was no discount available with only the engine disabler.
    If you decide to go with the alarm, try to negotiate it as part of the purchase. I’m doing it a few weeks after delivery and had to do some shopping around. One BMW dealer wanted 2 hrs of labor @ $86 per hour to install. I found another who said 1 hour @ $71. I chose the latter. In addition, I shopped the local dealers for the alarm itself, but they wanted the full list price for the alarm ($300). I ordered it via the internet from a Denville NJ BMW dealer for $225 and got it two days later. There are many ads in Roundel to help with this effort.
    While I can never get the offset in insurance premium to pay for the entire cost of the alarm and installation, the benefits of the alarm outweigh the overall cost in my opinion.
  • snehal2snehal2 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone had the auxilliary connection installed by the dealer for IPOD ? I bought my 325i a month ago and am now considering getting an IPOD. My dealer is quoting me about $150 for the aux installation. Just wanted to check if anyone has had one installed and if there's anything else I need to know about it. Thank you.
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    I have an iPod and inquired about the part/installation on my 330i. I was told the adaper is $149 and the installation would be a few hundred. I passed.

http://www.bmwusa.com/ipod.htm
    Maybe there's some confusion between my dealer & me. He's quoting me $150 for part & labor on an aux connection into my globe box . . says I can plug in my IPOD into that, so there is no separate adapter mentioned. Does that sound right ?
    My guess is he quoted you for just the part (which is a connection into the glove box that runs off the car battery). See the links below for more details, including some pix:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jun/21bmw.html

http://www.apple.com/ipod/bmw/
    Maybe there's some confusion between my dealer & me. He's quoting me $150 for part & labor on an aux connection into my globe box . . says I can plug in my IPOD into that, so there is no separate adapter mentioned. Does that sound right ?
    Obviously, I would make sure you and your dealer are speaking about the same adapter. Perhaps he has some other auxillary connection adapter that simply charges the iPod.

The main point of the Apple/BMW adapter is that is integrates with the audio system in the vehicle and enables you to listen to your iPod music digitally without the loss of sound quality that occurs with using an FM transmitter solution (like the Belkin aftermarket product).

With the Apple/BMW adapter you can also control the iPod through the audio system and the steering wheel functions.

I would love to integrate my iPod in my car but am unwilling to spend as much or more than I spent on the iPod itself.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    The dealer had mentioned the region from which it would have to be trucked. I got online and checked inventory lists of dealers whose website had that capability. Good luck.
    I'll confirm with my dealer. I'll make sure he understands that what I am looking for is the aux connection for my IPOD that would enable me to control it through the integrated system. Thanx for the clarification.
  • jmcmusicjmcmusic Member Posts: 27
    Parked my car on the street today to save the lousy 4 bucks for the garage. Some idiot must not have known how to parallel park because I found a nice scrape covered with red paint on the bumper and a dent in the rear panel between the bumper and light on my 01 330i. Guess I will get it fixed and maybe wait for good deals on the 2005's. Not in a rush or anything. I'm just venting now I guess but I still plan to read this forum as there is always good information and interesting deals going on.
  • woodycmwoodycm Member Posts: 1
    I had the auxillary connection installed in my 2003 X5. $150.00 installed (parts and labor).
    The aux connection will work as a second or third (if you already have a 6-disc changer) audio option from your factory stereo. I don't have an ipod I actually have an archos 15gb mp3 player which works just fine with the connector. It is installed in the glove box and you have to buy an extra cable to connect to your ipod, which can look somewhat unsightly, hanging out of the glove box, if you choose to use your player outside of the glove box. I'm not sure but I believe you can control the ipod via the normal stereo controls, with mine I still have to change tracks, etc. on my player and not via the stereo controls. You may need to change the audio level of the aux device on the stereo controls or it will sound somehwat muted. Once you adjust it to max, it really rocks.

Hope this helps.
  • bobspivybobspivy Member Posts: 14
    I've been following the forum recently, and it appears that there are great incentives on the 2004 325xi right now. The problem I'm having is finding one, and then when I do find one, the dealer doesn't seem very willing to negotiate.

I would think that since I can get a 2005 right now, they would be ready to move the 2004 as fast as possible. The best I've been offered is around $200 over invoice. In that scenario, the dealer is getting the $200, plus the incentive of $1500, plus whatever else they receive for a sale.

Maybe I'm not the best negotiator, or maybe the demand is that high, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight or suggestions? I'm willing to drive a decent distance too, so it's not like I'm only looking in MD.

Thanks!
  • teach3teach3 Member Posts: 23
    I have just called the folks at autobahn BMW near dallas (texas) -- and they quoted me a deal on ordering a new 2005 325i sedan with the following:

metallic paint
    leather seats
    car alarm
    floormats
    no other options (I prefer the manual)

the out the door price is (WITH Texas tax and license and no hidden fees) $30, 440. 45. This strikes me as a bit unusual. Anybody (Kyfdx and gang) know if this is for real? How can they do this? any hidden problems to look for?

other questions (!):

1) if one buys a car in dallas and lives in Houston (like me), will there be any problems with local Houston dealers honoring the warranty (since I am not going to dallas to get an oil change)

2) is there a substantial enough differnce between the 330i and 325i for the average driver to warrant the 7k difference?

any thoughts from one and all greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    BMW's warranty must be honored by EVERY BMW Dealer in the USA. Now how you're treated may be a different story. You might have to wait longer for an appointment than a customer who purchaesd the car at that dealership. The dealership in Houston probably won't give you a loaner car because you didn't buy the car there. I've heard buying in Houston is really tough. 3 out of the 4 BMW dealers are owned by the same guy (or group). Before ENRON collapsed, people on TH were complaining they were getting sticker + for everything on the lot or ordered.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mkpravinmkpravin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks kyfdx....
  • moralecorruptmoralecorrupt Member Posts: 8
    I got a price of $33225 for a 330i black/black lette, automatic, steptronic and sunroof. Still holding out I think dealer incentive has increased fin. has dropped. Hope to buy by 9/12. OC calif
  • jpljpl Member Posts: 36
    Hi: Interested in a purchasing a 2004-330 ci, new or very-low mileage-demo, after the 05's come out!!! Does anyone have an idea of the price drop that occurs on release of new model year? Thanks in advance.

jpl
    thanks -- I really appreciate the quick response, and it does help to hear good information. It seems to be a virtual monopoly for BMW dealerships here in H-town, and thats what happens when competition is totally "erased" (apologies to Arnold "the govenator").

Another question for you or anyone out there (I'll bet its a universal problem many would like answers to): in ordering a 2005 3-series car via internet or phone (or even through a local dealer) the policy quoted to me is that one puts down 2 or 3k and pays off when the car arrives (assuming one pays cash). What kind of up front assurance can one get to make sure the "promised" price does not, at closing time when the car arrives, suddenly jump upwards due to mysterious dealer fees? or must one just trust the dealer?

thanks for time spent answering
  • youralienyouralien Member Posts: 10
    I received 2 offers from a dealer in New York on a lease for a 325i with auto, premium, leather mystic blue

MSRP: $35095
    invoice: $32205
    price of car negotiated for lease: $31000

salesman said money factor was .0022 and residual was 59%

1 deal has $3549 at signing and $405 (taxes included) per month

$405 1st month
    $450 security deposit
    $869 acquisition fee
    $1500 down pymt
    $175 MV fees
    $150 doc fees

the other deal has $2005 at signing and $461 a month

$461 1st pymt
    $500 security dep
    $869 acquisition fee
    $175 MV fee

does this sound right to you? he claims that he is giving away the car. i questioned him on the different amounts for the security deposit and he says that it depends on monthly pymt.

i'm deciding between this and a purchase of an accord coupe (sorry, i know it's in a different league) and am anxious to get one or the other

thank you all
  • youralienyouralien Member Posts: 10
    sorry i forgot to say: it's a 2004
    Great price.

Are you forgetting a doc fee in the second scenario?

Not sure about my math, but the money factor seems to equate to a 5.28% rate.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    how do you convert the mf into the percentage rate? I think I may have asked once before, but lost the paper I wrote it on.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

When a dealer quotes you a money factor, you can multiply that by 2400 to get a very good feeling about the actual interest rate percentage.

For example, if a dealer tells you his lease money factor is .0025, then you simply multiply that by 2400 to get 6.

Sometimes a dealer will give you a money factor quoted as 2.9 so it sounds like a low interest rate. In this case you multiply that number by 2.4 and know that the interest rate is about 6.96%.
    Does anybody have a recent price on a 2004 330-Ci, with A/T, Prem-Pkge., Xenon. Live in the New York area. Have been looking at different websites, but the prices I see on this site from the forum members, look a bit lower than is mentioned on the sites. Help!!
    Are taxes that high in New York? In your second example, I come up with a payment of $400 + tax. If you have to pay taxes on the whole purchase price in New York, that could explain it.

The purchase price seems good even with the doc fee added, if that is indeed the price he is figuring the lease on.

I'd check the paperwork very close... It looks like he might be adding the acquisition fee into the cap cost and also charging you for it upfront.. Or, there are some costs undisclosed.

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: If this deal works out for you, you can roll more of the upfront into the lease. I would try to keep my upfront costs to just the first payment and security deposit.. Making cap cost reductions or paying one-time costs up front just masks what the car is really costing you per month. And the dealer is correct about the security deposit.. it is always rounded up to the next $50 increment over the payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• johnc_22johnc_22 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about trading my SAAB Viggen for something with better ride quality and more suitable for my new situation - living in the city and driving in stop-go traffic. The 330i is something I'm considering but too costly if bought at full price.

That said I drove a 2004 330i sedan yesterday. This car had sport package, premium package, xenons and steptronic and was listed around $39500. I have to say that with the auto I was not overwhelmed by the power so I'll have to find a 6-speed to drive to see if I like that more. Then again my current car is turbocharged so the power in that is sudden and neck-snapping. On to pricing . . .

Sitting in the salesman's office I asked what current incentives would put that car at and he said he could knock $3K off right away putting it at $36500 + tax, etc. I'm a bit confused by this because Edmund's invoice price is $39,255 meaning that the dealer had the sticker at just above invoice. I knew there were incentives but does this sound right, or are Edmund's invoice prices out of whack? Perhaps the dealer had already marked the sticker down due to the fact that they already have 2005's on the lot (I saw them).

Thanks,

John - Atlanta
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The 3L is not a turbo and there is no turbo lag, and as such no necksnapping. It is so smooth it is hard to discern you could be going so fast so quickly. If you are used to a turbo, you'd be better off with the new E60 M5. :)

I don't think you will find a significant difference with the manual tranny in terms of neck snapping.

CR lists the Saab to 60 at 7.2. Unfortunately for the 3 series they now list the M3 at 5 seconds to 60. However, they used to list the 3L at 6.7. The butt dyno can be mistaken at times.

If you are looking for the benchmark in handling, but not necessarily electronic wizardry, the 3 series is it.
    Double check the equipment and/or sticker price. With metallic paint, the sticker should be $42,845 (take off $475 for non-metallic paint) versus the $39,500 list you quoted. If you can get in that car for $36,500, I'd say you did very well.
  • johnc_22johnc_22 Member Posts: 2
    I'm certain on the premium + sport. I saw the HK speakers, felt the leather, saw the larger rear tires and the additional thigh bolsters on the front seats. I guess it might NOT have xenons but the salesman said that really to get it without you'd have to order it since they assume anyone buying a car in that league wants them. The steptronic goes without saying. The car had 24 miles on it. I agree - the price seems too good to be true but there are large incentives right now on the 2004's.
    The current incentives on the 330i are $3,000 factory to dealer marketing support. With metallic paint, the sticker is $42,845 with an invoice of $39,255. At $36,500, the dealer makes $245 plus whatever fees, etc. and this excludes the MACO charge of $200.
    With all this knowledge about the 330i Sedan, is there anyone who can give Me some insight on the COUPE!!!
                            Thanks!!!
    I agree with the others.. there is no way a 330i equipped like that can MSRP for under $40K.

That said, with the $3000 incentive, it might be possible to buy it for $36,500, which would be right at invoice minus the incentive... I'd just stop back by to make sure the car you drove is the same one he was making the deal on.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bigblindbigblind Member Posts: 1
    I am also in the hunt for a 330ci with premium pkg, sports pkg, leather, xenon, and 18" inch optional rims. I am investigating several quotes and I was quoted $41000 with 2.9% financing. Is this good? The dealer was quite fast in quoting this price which makes me feel a bit skeptical regarding the deal. I feel I might be able to shave another $1000 off that quoted price. Is that realistic?
    quick question: I know dealers are getting a 3k factory incentive when they sell 2004 330i's -- how much are they getting if someone orders a 2005 330i before the end of this month? same or less or not at all? am in the midst of dealing and need a quick answer!
  • bobspivybobspivy Member Posts: 14
    I recently had a terrible experience at RUSSEL BMW in Maryland. I would recommend that everyone stay away from this dealer.

I'm friends with a dealer at Russel Toyota, and he told me to deal with a particular salesperson at Russel BMW. That person was helping me with a 2004 325xi. The MSRP on the car was $38545, but he was offering it to me for $35,500, with a 1.9% APR. I felt I could do better, since they are receiving dealer incentives of $1500. I offered $34,500, and he told me to come down and we could work something out.

I drive an hour to get there, and he says he has some bad news. He said that the car was a dealer exchange car, and they had to pay $500 to send their car, and pay $500 to get this car. So the price we agreed to would be $1000 more. Then he said that he argued with his manager, and was able to get the exchange fees down to $700. So now the price was going to be $36,400, instead of the $35,700 we talked about. Well, we never talked about $35,700 because he offered $35,500. So basically, he inflated the price $200, and then another $700. He didn't call me to inform me of the change, and really didn't seem too bothered with it.

It was an aweful experience and I'll never take my business to RUSSEL BMW.
    No incentives on '05 models..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks for the quick response -- just what I needed-- now I know where they are coming from...

does anybbody have info on finance rates for 3-series 2005 models? I being quoted that the 2.9% no longer exists and am being ofered 4.9% -- seems high...
  • cbfreemancbfreeman Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to buy a new 330i sedan. It as sport package, auto transmission, heated seats, and a moonroof. (Alas, I had to forego the premium package and xenon to make this deal do-able!) I've got the dealer down to $35,000. Is this a good deal or should I try to push harder?
    '04 or '05? What is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Has to be an '04 selling below invoice.

Without metallic paint MSRP is $39,920; invoice is $36,595 (add $475/$430 for metallic).
    Yeah.. my point was to him, and anyone else that posts here.. Once we know what model the car is.. options really aren't important.. If you want to know what a good deal is...

GIVE US THE MSRP!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mitchmurraymitchmurray Member Posts: 6
    teach3,

Regarding the price quoted to you, it seems about right. Lets see...

Base MSRP: 29300
    M paint: 475:
    Leather: 1450
    Destination: 695
    alarm: 350 (aprox?)
    floormats: 50 (?)

Total: 32320
    Advertised: -4000 off MSRP

New total: 28320
    TX tax @ 6.25 (correct?): 1770
    Lic and Reg: 100

Total with TTL: $30190

Have you tried outside financing?

-Mitch&Murray
    Hi:
           2004-330Ci-MSRP: is $43,345, can you give Me an idea of right price???

Looking to purchase, after 05's come out!!

Thanks
  • rdr1rdr1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    This forum has been very informative and has provided me good guidance ... I am in the market now and have two questions:

1. When are the 2005s coming to the showrooms?

2. The dealers price is $33500 for a 2004 325i (MSRP $37,195).
    -Auto, metallic paint, sport, premium, xenon
     Good deal or not?

I am in socal (if it helps)
    Thanks (in advance),
    rdr
    Invoice would be about $39,7XX.. I would start there and shoot for $40,500 max.. No incentives on the coupes, except low lease rates or 1.9% financing... The sedans are a much better buy right now. If they won't give you close to invoice on an '04 coupe, then I would rather buy an '05.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Invoice is $34,115 minus $1500 incentive = base cost of $32,615. $33,500 isn't a bad deal, but you might be able to get another $500 lower... If it is the one you want, I wouldn't let it get away for that amount.. that is a nice option list.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator