Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Towing with the Elantra (questions).....

goddess7240goddess7240 Posts: 1
edited December 2014 in Hyundai
Hello,

I am new here. I havent explored the site as of yet. Joined because I got an email with a link offering information on all kinds of vehicles and here I am.

I am about to buy a 6x12 Enclosed Utility Trailer, V-Nose.

Are there any special limitations my 2012 Hyundai Elantra has as far as towing. Total Weight it can safely tow? At what weight (the trailer) should I consider having brakes?

Should ALL enclosed (or not) trailers have brakes?

Please understand, I am a NOVICE at about everything...except shooting pool, driving and working.

Simple terms would be appreciated in your response, assuming I don't know the meaning of terminology associated with towing etc.

Thank you,

Karen

Answers

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 867
    I have a 2012 Elantra GLS, have never towed with it. I used to have a 6x12 trailer but towed with a larger SUV. If your 6.12 trailer is anything like the one I had, it would probably be about all you would want to tow, empty. I found a pretty good discussion about towing with the Elantra here. http://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/7j2qv-hyundai-elantra-gls-towing-2013-elantra-gls-sedan-automatic.html

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I don't see how your Elantra could tow a 6X12 enclosed trailer even empty, much less with anything in it. Even if you bought the slickest, lightest aluminum 6 X 12, that would max out your car's towing capacity, even empty.

So, short answer. Don't buy that size trailer.