Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    johnl10johnl10 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on buying a used 530 soon, and would really like to have some inputs on how much should I expect to pay for a used 03 BMW with 15,000 miles, prem package, sport package, cold weather and sun shade. Thanks
  • Options
    savorasavora Member Posts: 25
    I am interested in the 530i, 2004. I will probably contact dealers in AZ, NV and CA to get prices. Has anyone dealt with a dealer at these locations that has offered a reasonable deal? Thanks
  • Options
    rfc0521rfc0521 Member Posts: 3
    Just my observation, I was very close to buying a 2002 530i until I compared them side by side, inside & out. NO comparison. The 2002 just looks dated next to the 04. I bought the 04 530i last month. love the style, love the performance. just didn't want to settle for a "used car".
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Looks are subjective, but how's the '04 been mechanically speaking?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    rfc0521... What was the MSRP on your '04 530i? What are all the options? What did you pay? Did you buy or lease?
  • Options
    msrp was 50,620.00. this was before the increse. I bought the car for 48,600.00. Premium,cold weather,xenon,6 disc cd changer. I paid cash for the car. The car drives & performes as I would have expected. GREAT. Yes looks are subjective & i've received quite a few complements on this cars looks. After a little time with it, the i drive doesn't present that much of an inconvenience.
  • Options
    rfc0521... Boggles my mind that in 2004, with a MY2004, and in a "premium" marque that is going ultra-high tech, Xenon HID headlights are an option. Too bad iDrive isn't optional!
  • Options
    Yes well what can I say? Except great deal, great car. Love driving this thing.
  • Options
    at least looking at many of these posts, 2000-2500 below MSRP would be a very good deal. Agree? Has anyone done better?
  • Options
    bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    525: $1-1.2K over invoice
    530: $1.2-1.5 over invoice
    545: $2-2.4 over invoice.

Does this roughly square with other's experience?

Cheers--
  • Options
    piratzbobpiratzbob Member Posts: 3
    While browsing the web site of a local dealer in Florida I noticed a 2004 - 545i - listed at a MSRP of 57.6K. I have only seen one other 545i - and that was pre sold and loaded for +/- 64K. I went to the dealer the next morning, the car was in the showroom, black with tan leather.The party that ordered the vehicle could not secure financing the prior day. The best thing - it only had the premium sound package. They appraised my '03 320 - CLK for $ 1500 more than I had anticipated. I traded on the spot. The car is beautiful and quite rapid... I will update my experiences at 1000 miles... Great message board!!!
  • Options
    piratzbob... Is your 545i an automatic or manual? Prem sound is the only option?
  • Options
    While browsing the web site of a local dealer in Florida I noticed a 2004 - 545i - listed at a MSRP of 57.6K. I have only seen one other 545i - and that was pre sold and loaded for +/- 64K. I went to the dealer the next morning, the car was in the showroom, black with tan leather.The party that ordered the vehicle could not secure financing the prior day. The best thing - it only had the premium sound package. They appraised my '03 320 - CLK for $ 1500 more than I had anticipated. I traded on the spot. The car is beautiful and quite rapid... I will update my experiences at 1000 miles... Great message board!!!
  • Options
    The 545i was an automatic - I did not want the Distronic Parking or the Adaptive Cruise Control or even the additional seating options - I was amazed to find it just the way I would have ordered it - well maybe the XM Sat option kit....
  • Options
    jazz0427jazz0427 Member Posts: 2
    $569/month including tax.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Nice car and not a bad price especially this early in the model year. I assume no sports pkg.? Good luck with the car and keep us apprised of your ownership impressions.
  • Options
    mckennamdmckennamd Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any info on current money factors or finance rates? I am hoping for 1K over invoice. I am in Fort myers, FL, by the way.
  • Options
    radiowaveradiowave Member Posts: 5
    Might I ask what part of the country you're in to see such low prices? Here in Southern California, it's difficult to get below $2,300 over invoice even on a 530. I'm trying to figure out how far from LA I have to go to get a reasonable deal. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm in New Jersey. Since BMW first began to penetrate the market heavily around here, there are at least five dealers within 10 miles of me in NJ, plus at least three more in Manhattan. Also, the Northeast port of entry is here, as is the BMWNA headquarters.

Though there's a lot of money chasing BMW's in NJ/NY, there's even more BMW's to be had, and the dealers are used to dickering.

Good luck in CA -- if there are fewer dealers per square mile, dickering with be tougher. Also, don't know what dealers are used to in CA, but around here negotiations can be pretty pushy and agressive. Your nearby CA salesreps may simply not be used to being threatened with a place near Jimmy Hoffa.....
  • Options
    540jml540jml Member Posts: 3
    I leased an '01 blk/blk 540ia 2 1/2 yrs ago (sticker price-$58,500) and have been thrilled with the car. I have 35,100 miles and project 45,000 miles by lease end in 10/04- right on schedule for 15k/year. Yesterday- the dealer told me that I can buy an upgrade on the maintenance to 6/100 k for $1,200. I have to do this before 36 k miles.
       I had been thinking about buying the car at lease end ($34,000), but it seems as if I have to decide now. The maint extension seems to be a good deal if I keep the car, but I then feel I lose the ability to negotiate a better price if they realize that I bought the extension.
       What's been the experience with negotiating a better price at lease end; and what is the long term prognosis for repairs on an '01 540ia spt pkg. ?

It seems like it may be better just to lease another and have ALL costs covered for the period of the lease ( 3yrs/45k miles).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    You can buy an upgrade on the maintenance to just 4yr/50k for under $500, and put off a decision on the additional upgrade to 6yr/100k. That way, even if you decide to turn the car in, you won't be out the extra money. If you decide to buy the car, you can then add the additional maintenance coverage. I can't tell you the exact numbers, because they are different for an 8-cylinder. I am only familiar with the 6-cyl pricing.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    momsbmwmomsbmw Member Posts: 7
    I have decided to get rid of the minivan and have fun driving a BMW. I have been shopping around for a 2003 525i with Step and the Prem Pkg. In the NY Metro area, the best price that I have found is 36900. Based on the various car pricing websites, this price appears to be a fair price. Any suggestions about where to look for pricing or incentives for the 2003?
  • Options
    ndmdndmd Member Posts: 27
    SP, PP, prem sound, Cold weather, xenon, auto, Nav, sat radio...

MSRP: 58,315
    1st Quote: 57,000
    Lease: 36 months, 15K/yr, $2490 out of pocket
    $852.64/month
    Residual: 62%
    Money Factor: .00225

Any thoughts? I also want to add the phone, but that will be a dealer install. In addition, I will want the windows tinted. I never thought that I would say that, but 8 months in Ft. Myers, FL, and I now believe it is a must. I hope to have them add the tint as a final deal maker.
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Just curious: if you're in Ft. Myers, FL, I understand that window tinting. Why the cold weather package?
  • Options
    Mostly, my wife wants the heaed seats. It sounds crazy, but the occassional time it drops into the 30's at night, she uses the seats. I do like the headlight washers, too, though.
  • Options
    kiskikiski Member Posts: 17
    I have a 545i, sport, premium, sound, zenon,rear airbags, folding rear seat,satellite, etc on order at a price of $2k over invoice. I am buying this car and giving up my 330i to have one family car that does it all. Now the dealer tells me not only will the 5 wagon coming in November have AWD but that the sedans will have it also.

This is the first I've ever heard the sedans will be offered with AWD. Can anyone confirm this? I might well postpone my order if it's true as I live in the snow belt and the 330i is a major liability.

Thanks
  • Options
    chitungchitung Member Posts: 18
    HI,
    Does any body know how much 6yr/100K miles EXTENDED WARRANTY costs?
    Thanks
  • Options
    chitung... You have to be careful with terms.

1. BMW DOES offer extended service maintenance contracts. This covers maintenance, but not repairs.

2. BMW does NOT offer an extended warranty for a new car. All you can get from BMW is the original 4/50 bumper-to-bumper warranty.

3. BMW DOES offer 6/100 CPO coverage on USED cars. Though the CPO warranty is different than the new car b-to-b warranty (e.g., $50 deductible). This kicks in after the 4/50 b-to-b period ends.

4. If you want an extended warranty on a new car, you'll have to buy from a 3rd party (i.e., someone not BMW). I wouldn't recommend them, but if you are interested read the terms carefully. The insurance is only as good as the offering company and its re-insurance company. Too many scams out there and too many weak companies offering.
  • Options
    330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    Here's an interesting question if my 04 E60 530i stickered at 48,145(invoice is a little over 44,000)how much would i get on a trade in if i had 1200 miles on the odometer? By the way i am not upside down meaning i do not owe more than the car is worth! I know i'll lose alot but i'm just curious. Do dealers give less of a trade in value if it was Euro Delivery?
  • Options
    With 1200 miles and well treated, you'd probably do best to sell it on the private market. Depends on if the options, color etc are desirable.

Since there's a lot of folks on the Boards who like them, try posting on those locations at $43 (a K under invoice) and see what kind of response you get. That's a good deal for a buyer compared to Dealer price and probably costs you only a few K to get out.

Another play with a Dealer might be to trade up to a 545 -- they'll be hungry to do a deal. Or maybe an MB or other lux dealer would cut you some slack.

Attempting to sell it used to a dealer will get you scre**d.

Since the number will vary widely by market, suggest a discussion with several local dealers and some Board sale posts to see what you get.

Other opinions?
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    About to help a relative buy a 545 in the Boston area. Any pricing info on discounts attainable off of MSRP in this area? Specs - 545A, no SP
  • Options
    glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Manybmws: FWIW I would avoid BMW Gallery of Norwood. When I bought my 530 last fall, I got all kinds of promises from them, but they couldn't deliver. In fact, I was outright lied to by one of their sales reps. Their tactics cost me almost $1000. I went out of state and did fine; love the car.
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I am getting the invoice written in it's final form before finalizing. Unfortunate that somes dealers don't think that way.
  • Options
    dbcafydbcafy Member Posts: 8
    Hl All,

I'm looking for a clean 540, sports pkg from 00, 01, 02. Gotta be auto - so the wife can drive it. Any ideas on the best places to look? Anyone selling their car? 540mjl?

I live in Northern NJ.

Thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    dbcafy... There are ton of potential sources to look for what you want. (If I was you, I'd only consider going BMW CPO.)

Check out...

- BMW NA's CPO locator
    - Have your local BMW dealer do a CPO locate.
    - the cars for sale of Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines.
    - Does Hemmings Motor News list BMWs?
    - Thinking Roadfly and other sites have people trying to sell their BMWs.
    -
  • Options
    tahoegrltahoegrl Member Posts: 1
    ... From Irvine BMW, Southern California. Sport, Premium, Cold Weater package, Sun Shades, Xenon. $43,600. Black on Black, 9400 Miles.

SWEET car. Not sure I got the best deal. There aren't many around. I was a bit irked because I saw that quite a few people bought similar cars in the $42,000 price range last summer when BMW was doing the $4000 factory incentive.

However, they would not budge. All in all, I was ready to walk away from the deal over $500. The salesperson finally followed me out to the car and agreed to split the cost of the registration with me (it was a dealer's honor car so it had never been registered.)

I bought an aftermarket navigation system; don't know much about it yet, it's being installed tomorrow. Apparently, it's a computer hard drive (30-40gig?) that they install in the trunk. You have a couple of microphones near the dash that give you information (it's GPS). The updates are free for three years. Anyway, I'll see how it works. There is no display at all. I have thirty days to try it out. ($1995)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    The dealer is not telling you the truth..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    lose the wife.
  • Options
    karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    You'll take a double beating. One on the 530 and another when the MB starts breaking down. They're below Chrysler in reliability ratings now - scary thought!
  • Options
    infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Has anyone bought or leased a 2004 530ia in Northern NJ recently? If so, how much over invoice did you pay (or cap cost)?
  • Options
    Looking at other websites, it looks like people are reporting getting 5-series for 1000-1500 over invoice. I got 1700 with tinting/mats thrown in. I now feel that i could have done better
  • Options
    ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    Can anyone give me any feedback on the price paid for a 525 with premium and automatic and metallic...I am trying to decide between a 525 and a 3.0 X-3. I noticed BMW was running a special but I really need some feedback on prices here.

Somethings I have read in these posts:

1.525: $1-1.2K over invoice

2.$2,500 off of MSRP

3.anyone should be able to get about $1K over invoice for a 525, auto, cold weather, premium pkg. Beat them up and you might get a couple of hundred less, but don't count on it. Got mine for $42.3 tonight, or $2.2K under MSRP

Is the above accurate?

Ashley Andersin at A O L
  • Options
    I am also about to order a 5. I have done some intial calls in Florida and have been quoted $1500 off MSRP. This is without any negotiation. I think $2000-2500 off is reachable. This is for a 530i. I have heard that you can do even better on a 525i.

I now have a bigger problem. I drove past my local BMW dealer, this AM. There is a black 545i on the lot; auto, sport, black interior, anthracite maple trim...MSRP $58+K. I did not want to spend that much, but with the current lease deals available (per bmwusa.com) it is more attainable.

In addition, there is a 645i (black/auburn leather) on the lot, as well. It is gorgeous. $72+K. Wow, that is a lot of money, but what a great looking car. Actually, I would love to get the convertible.

Decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    banglenotbanglenot Member Posts: 31
    Your quote number 3 was from me. Though it depends on the market, here in northern NJ there are a lot of BMW dealers, and since the east cost inventory comes in here, a lot of easily availble cars.

I got a unique deal because the sales rep screwed up and I held him to it (with lots of yelling). Realistically, you should be able to do around $1.5 over invoice on a 525, $2-2.5 on a 530, either with Step, premium and cold weather. More room to move as you add expensive options. More room on the 545 because of the higher margin -- but that won't matter if they're flying out the door in that dealership.

More importantly, look at the negotiating techniques on the Net more than the price. "I want it 'cause the Boards said I could" cuts no ice with the reps (and shouldn't). Trade them off, be patient, be respectful unless you catch them in a lie, and deal at the end of the month and you'll do well.

Also, an easy $1K refund is available if you're a member of BMW CCA for a year before you buy the car.

Good luck.
  • Options
    kbraleighkbraleigh Member Posts: 6
    I got my 525 at $2,500 under MSRP for PP, NAV, CWP, STEP, Preimium Sound, Xenon. I think I got a good deal. Had offers of $2,000 under also.
  • Options
    530driver530driver Member Posts: 2
    HI my lease on my current 2001 530 is running up in June, and im looking into my next car now which will be a 5 series. Although at 1st, I did not like the changes it has grown onto me VERY much. Anyway what do some of you think Lease or buy a 530 or 545? I was hoping to buy a 545, and was wondering if it was possible to get 1 nicely equipped for around 57,000? The car im turning back in has 12,000 miles less than what was on the lease to use, and is in perfect condition. Will Bmw take that into account for me, since they will be making a fortune off the car im returning? thanks so much
  • Options
    nomaracknomarack Member Posts: 9
    With that few miles on your 530, you may want to consider buying it yourself after the lease term runs to either keep or resell. With that few miles on it, you could probably turn a profit on selling it yourself instead of turning it in.
  • Options
    sam911sam911 Member Posts: 13
    lease 525 has PP, CWP, STEP
    525$x36
    on delivery 2500 down+ 525$first month,525 sec dep,525 acquisition fee

tax not added yet
    is this reasonable?
  • Options
    sam911... How many miles per year are you allowed?

Seems expensive for a 525i. What is the MSRP? [What would it cost per month to buy it over 60 months?]

36 x $525= $18,900 plus $2,500 + $525 + $525= $22,450.

or $624 per month over the 36 months.