Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Which still ain't bad if you could find someone to honor base MF.

DL
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I have Titanium Gray Metallic and it's a beautiful color - got the gray interior. It's a medium gray, no green to speak of in the tint.

good choice and good luck with your new Bimmer
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    We just started looking at the E60 and went to a dealership to sample the colors. After seeing multiple titanium gray cars both at the dealer and on the roads, I would agree that there is a greenish tint to it. Still gray overall, but too much green for me; this was especially noticeable in the sunlight. Silver gray was nice but not dark enough IMO. I wish BMW would bring back the anthracite color they offered on the E39 - a deep, dark gray that was very well suited to the car. My current favorite would have to be black, although I did see a dark blue 530i the other day on the freeway and it was very sharp!

Is anyone doing Euro Delivery on the '06? I'd be curious about what sorts of deals people are getting relative to Euro invoice. We bought a 2001 330i at $1300 over (Euro invoice), and would like to know if similar deals are available today on the E60. BTW, we're shopping for a 530xiT with 6-spd manual. Possible options would be sport package, leather, and rear window shades. Will be looking to take delivery in Germany next summer to coincide with WC2006! Thanks.
  • suehsueh Member Posts: 9
    My color preferences match yours exactly. The most appealing aspect
    of the titanium gray for me is the fact that it is unique. I've never seen one
    on the road. In my area there are only two colors on the road, silver and black.

I saw a new 6 at the dealership in a beautiful gray, I forget the name.
    When I told the salesman, that's the color I want, he pointed out that it too,
    had some other funky tints in the sunlight. I guess it's good advice to all
    considering any of the metallic, make sure you see the car in all lighting
    before deciding.

This is my first BMW so I'll stop obsessing and focus on being out-of-my-mind
    excited to get it! Wishing you good luck and good deal on your next one.
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    Just returned from Munich this past week for pickup of my '06 525. Platypus asked whether similar deals as her '01 330i for $1300 over ED invoice could be found. Yes. Search around or PM me.
    How do I PM? Your e-mail address is private. BTW, platypus is a he, not a she. A bit strange referring to myself in the third person. Kinda makes me feel like P-Diddy... :P
  • scotlowscotlow Member Posts: 23
    Ok, I knew I was in a BMW dealership. They only had BMW's for sale. So how come the salesman was able to sit right in front of me a offer me MSRP with a straight face?

I decided to nix the leasing deal I was considering and buy/order a new (my first BMW) 530 2006 with a MSRP of ~$50,000. So I asked the dealer what his invoice was and he said, what does that have to do with anything? I knew the invoice but I wanted to confirm it with him to make sure he would not throw on some junk prep cost.

I asked him then how much he wanted for the car? he said $50,000 - or MSRP!!

I did a double take and looked around to make sure I was in the BMW dealership and not a Ferrari dealership. If it was a Ferrari, I would have been ecstatic at that offer.

I then got up and starting to walk out. Then the sales manager came out and got me back to the salesman's desk. "What can I do to make you happy and get this deal done?". I said $1500 over invoice.

Needless to say, I ended up leaving and now I am wondering if all BMW dealers are like this one.

It appears that these 530 BMW's are as hot as Internet stocks in 1999.

How long before these dealers start asking for MSRP +++ ??
  • suehsueh Member Posts: 9
    Welcome to BMW.
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Member Posts: 19
    I went to BMW dealer today in So. Cali and test drove the 2006- 530i (without the sports package). But the one I really liked was with the sports package. After 15-20 minutes of haggling the salesman offered me at 58,000.00 out the door.

2006 - 530i w/ sports package with Navigation. The tax and dmv fees come out around 9% of the value so the price of around 52,200.

I like to know if anyone else got a better deal??

Thanks.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    If you've never owned/leased a BMW before are they allowed to offer base Money Factor? Last night I was told by a dealer that because I'd never been financed by BMW, the lowest money factor available for a '05 530i was 0.00140, not 0.00125.

This was the first time I'd heard that.

Have my numbers been wrong all this time?
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    I'm confused. You were offered 58K for a 530i with sports and nav??

Here are the numbers Edmunds shows:
    Base: 46500
    Auto Trans: 1275
    Sports: 2300
    Navigation: 1800
    Premium: 1800
    Destination: 695
    MSRP = 54370 (Invoice: 49845)

(I'm assuming it had the premium package, because I've been told and it seems logical that there aren't any 530i coming off the boat without it.)
  • petppetp Member Posts: 43
    damien; thats totally untrue. dealers will try to mark up the money factor. if they do that, walk away and find yourself an honest dealer. i have never been financed by BMW and was given base rates by several dealers.

scottlow; i had heard there are no discounts given yet to the 06 models. but 2 dealers that i had been negotiating with for an 05 a few weeks back, sent me emails last week out of the blue, saying if i wanted i can get an 06 for 1500 over invoice. again; this was totally unsolicited by me, they were the ones that offered it.

depends where youre located i guess. if youre in the nyc area, i can recommend dealers for both of you. difeo and rallye both offered 1500 over invoice on any 06 that i wanted without me even asking. and manhattan and westchester both didnt mark up the MF...maybe because they are owned by BMWNA.

good luck to both of you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I think he is somewhat accurate... For returning lessees, the security deposit is waived.. For a new customer, they have to pay a security deposit or take a .00015 bump to the money factor...

It is always a better deal to make the security deposit and keep the base rate..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I just picked up my 06 530i two weeks ago.

Premium Package
    Premium Sound Package
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Automatic Transmission

MSRP was 52665. I paid 49720 + tax, or 52703 out the door. All other fees and MACO were included in final price. I got this price because I am in the new car dealership business - so he did me a favor as I would do for him if he was buying a car from me.

I would say you got an EXCELLENT deal on an 06. Most of the dealers around here are selling them for MSRP - remember, this is an 06 and they just came out.

Enjoy your new 530i - I sure am!
    Thanks for the input guys.

I am certain that the car did not included Premium Package or Prmium Sound Package or Satellite Radio....only thing I was getting was Sports Package, Navigation and Automatic Transmission. 58K out the door.

hihomike enjoy your ride...i know mine was awesome for that 10mins of test drive. Maybe I'll wait little longer until I can get a deal like yours or maybe your buddy can offer me the same deal.

Thanks.
    Based on invoice pricing, hihomike's deal works out to $1,430 over invoice, which is consistent with the $1,500 over deals offered to petp. That's good news for prospective buyers of the '06 5-series. To be able to get $1500 over invoice when the new models are just being released is good for us consumers.

Regarding jakethesnake's deal, if his car does only have SP, NAV, and AUTO, then at $52,200, it works out to $4,065 over invoice, or $370 below MSRP. While there are regional differences in pricing, I would be surprised if they amounted to this much, and each region in this case (NY vs. LA) is a major metropolis, making similarities more likely than differences. Finally, a car with NAV and AUTO that lacks PP would IMO be harder to move (meaning that a dealer could be more willing to discount). Most buyers who opt for these two features would pay the extra bucks and want leather.

No word yet though from anyone on Euro Delivery pricing relative to invoice?
    I find it very interesting that an 06 530i would even be ordered without a premium package. Why would someone pay 50+ thousand dollars on a new vehicle without leather and the like. If you look at the black book most dealers use to appraise a used vehicle, you will notice a "deduction" of $1000 for non-leather 5 series vehicles and another $1000 deduction for non-automatic.

As for the pricing of a new 530i, the first dealer I went to for my new 06 530i wanted me to pay MSRP! After all, it's a brand new vehicle - and an 06 for that matter. The second dealer I went to offered me 2500 over invoice. I finally found a dealer about 30 miles away willing to do me a favor - one sales manager to another. This is why I feel that jakethesnake's deal on a 530i is outstanding, assuming the 530i he is interested in has premium package along with the other goodies.
    Concerning European Delivery, most of us are getting $1000-$1500 over ED invoice price. That comes out to ~1500-2000 below US invoice price plus an outstanding vacation in Europe. I just got back from Europe for my '06 525 pickup. If you have the time, it is the BEST way to buy a brand new BMW. If you live near California, call Santa Barbara BMW. They are probably the most popular ED dealership. Good luck.
    Platypus, sorry about the gender mistake. Anyway, I just realized there was no PM on this forum. My apologies. Like my last post, ED is the best way to go. There are other forums that are quite extensive in descriptions of deals, experiences, etc. I got in trouble once for mentioning it on this forum, so I won't do it again. However, if you google for other bimmer forums, I am sure you will find it. The '06 e60s started ED on 5/2/05 (the day I did my pickup). Given your location, and if you are interested in ED, I would contact Santa Barbara and talk to those guys.
    Good luck.
    I was checking the web for additional pricing info on 2006-530i and msn.auto says that it's base invoice price is $42,495.00 which doesn't include any options.

Not sure if I'am allowed to attach a link but here it is:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pricing.aspx?modelid=11608&src=GBT
    Thanks sharma. Cutter Motors used to be well regarded at the bimmer.org forum so I'll definitely give them a shout. I'd prefer to buy local this go around but if the deals aren't available here in NorCal, I'll send my business elsewhere. Glad to hear that $1000-$1500 over is achievable. FWIW, when we did ED back in '01, we were living in Texas and bought from a dealership in Maryland.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Just out of curiosity, which Maryland dealer was it?
    Hey petp. Thanks. I knew MSRP was insane.

An you get me the names/locations of those dealers that did the $1500 over invoice? I am in PA area only 90 min from NY.

Sounds good. I hope your right and there was no trade-in that allowed the dealer to do the +$1500 deal. I am buying with no trade. So I will be dealing on just the price of the car.

scottlows@yahoo.com
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    scotlow, let me post the official position on asking for things to be sent to you in email. Every once in a while it's good to remind everyone about things...

Part of being a part of a vibrant, online community is having the discussions online where everyone can benefit from the questions and answers. Therefore, we highly discourage "email me" posts as we like to have the discussions take place in our Forums and not in email. When questions are answered in email, everyone else in the discussion loses in the opportunity to learn and benefit from the exchange.

Also, posting your email address in a public forum where search engines and spiders crawl content, your address can end up on numerous "spam" lists. For your own protection, we recommend and prefer that you not post your email address in messages. You can make your email address 'public' - meaning available in your Forums profile to other registered members only if you wish for others to have access to it.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles
    PF FLYER

I did not know all of this.

But petp was offerring to pass along some dealer names. I thought posting dealer names was a violation. So I thought sending them via email was allowed.

I do not care about spam. I like spam!! jUST KIDDING. It would be yahoo's problem anyway.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
    Passport BMW.

With the new forum rules, I cannot post my sales associate's name, which is unfortunate. Perhaps our host can shed some light on the reasons behind the new policy; it would be timely given his/her post about not e-mailing details in private. If the forum prohibits key information to be shared, such as a specific person to contact in order to get a deal without any runaround, then the rules are forcing people to go the private e-mail route. Back in 2001, I found my dealer and sales associate through an internet forum (not Edmunds). I was referred to him by name and was told to ask for the exact same deal (relative to price over invoice) he gave to his other customer. When I did this and told him how I found his contact info and what sorts of deals he was offering, he was pleasantly surprised and willingly offered the same terms to me. I then posted this info here on the Edmunds forum and I know that several users benefited from it and some people even bought cars from the same person. I had no vested interest in having that particular sales associate or dealer get any additional business, but was just trying to help out other prospective buyers in the same way that I was helped out. Isn't that the whole point?
    Hey platypus,

I am heading to MD next week to work. I just called passport and asked them for 1500 over invoice. They took my request and are getting back to me in this afternoon.

I will soon see if they really did a 1500 over invoice.

I called another dealer and he said 1500 over HIS cost would be ok. His cost included 400 prep charge. JUNK! But 1900 over invoice in still better than the MSRP offers.
    I am calling the NY dealers next.
    Looks like the passport dealer in MD is not interested in 1500 over invoice. They have not called me back.

the passport info was a hoax.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Many, many, many, many buyers have done ED through Passport... all you have to do is check some of the other BMW forums....

They are pretty well known for reasonable deals... Patience is sometimes rewarded....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Our policy exists to prevent salespeople from using these Forums to solicit business, and to prevent solicitation for referral fees. If we allow salespeople's names, what's to stop a salesperson from coming in and posing as a satisfied customer, citing bogus transactions, and promoting themselves? Nothing.

There are many places on the 'net where you can go to find salespeople's names. We aspire to keep our Forums completely free of solicitation. Opening the door would cause these discussions to be overrun with such posts, and we don't desire to become a sales board. That's simply not our purpose.

If a member wishes to be contacted by other members, he can elect to make his address public in his profile.

Further questions regarding Forum policy should be handled with a host via e-mail, rather than in our topic-oriented discussions. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The NYC dealers don't want to do anything more than $1000 off MSRP.

No thanks. Looks like that was some bad info as well.

However, passport in MD will do $1500 over invoice. Spoke with sales manager. Will be going down next week. Have to order. Nothing on lot.
    scotlaw,

On what grounds are you basing your statement "the passport info was a hoax?" I said that I bought a car from a Maryland dealer 4 years ago for ED on a 3-series at $1300 over Euro invoice. You then asked me who that dealer was and I told you Passport. Then you call them today and ask for $1500 over invoice (you didn't say if it was for ED or not) on a 5-series I presume, they don't give an immediate reply to your inquiry, and you suggest that my original statement was a hoax??

Give some thought to what you write before posting.
    Some dealers in So. Cal are willing to negotiate between $1,500 - $2,000 over the invoice but they're invoice price comes out to be around $53-54K + tax and license.

Some honest dealers are saying that invoice prices of $47-48K on the internet are not realistic.

Wow!!!! and I thought I would never see the day when Dealers' are telling the truth... :P

So far only one dealer has confirmed that their invoice price is around $47K althought they want close to $4-5K over the invoice... :cry:
    There is only one invoice price. Given forum rules, I don't know if I can post the link, but go to the e60.net web page, look under the "information" section and you will find all 2006 pricing for US-spec 5-series vehicles (MSRP, Invoice, Euro, etc.). This is the document that BMW sends to its dealers so if you have this in hand when you walk into a dealer, you can never let them tell you that the "internet invoice prices aren't for real."
  • pflpfl Member Posts: 2
    I got my 2004 530i at the end of may 2004 when it first came out, i had to have it special ordered b/c i didnt want premium pkg, silver gray,

it came to about 54k w/tax title lic, the options i added are:
    the ext warrenty (~2000 i think), nav, zenon (was an ~$800 option for '04s), HUD, auto,

I sometimes regret not getting the sports pkg, but it's fast as it is already; i wished they'd sell the dynamic drive separately. There's definitely room for negotiation, the sales rep treated us rudely, but i went back to speak directly with the manager and was able to leverage that and get a nice price.

If you want to save some money and dont need a lot of power, try the 05 525 (it has a 3.0 L 215hp engine now), pass on the premium to save $1800 and get navi and HUD instead. With HUD i don't ever look down at the meter anymore, it's all projected on to the windshield, even navi instructions!

Dealor tried to convince me that without prem pkg the car won't re-sell well, but i won't ever notice a diff between leather and letherette. I wanted navi and HUD because they're things that i can use.

A good feature with the bluetooth upgrade that i got was the ability to dial directly to restaurants that you find on your nav, it was a treat when i used it to make reservations.
    Wow...it's amazing how much mark-up dealers want on this car. This is an eye-opener...appreciate it very much.

Do you think if I walk in dealership with this paper and they'll still deny-it saying someone just made it up and it's not for real... :confuse:
    YES, I bet you the dealer will deny the authenticity of the paper. I had a very unfortunate experience with a So. Cal dealer (hosts - am I allowed to name the dealer?) with whom I originally set my ED with. The deal was for $xxxx over ED invoice before the '06 pricing came out. This type of negotiation is very common for ED, and the CA claimed he was an expert on ED.

Of course, when BMW released the prices (which matched the prices that you downloaded), my CA used different numbers. I confronted him and he initially claimed that I was using "made up" prices. Eventually, he realized I was correct but would not honor the deal. I, immediately, cancelled the purchase order and went with a more reputable dealer who told me my experience was VERY COMMON in So. Cal.

So, my advice: If you're having trouble with one particular CA, go somewhere else. It is extremely easy to negotiate over the phone or internet. Pick up or courtesy delivery is also easy. For some people, the spent time is not worth the effort, but I happen to enjoy it. Regardless, I will never purchase or service from dealer #1. I will ALWAYS purchase my BMW's through dealer #2, because of his honesty. Unfortunately, he is too far for servicing.

Good luck.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    According to the Host of this forum you are able to post a dealership. Do you mind revealing who dealer #2 is? I am in SoCal too.
    Thanks
    Yup, you are welcome to share dealership, city & state - just no names of salespeople.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bluwonderbluwonder Member Posts: 3
    i just bought a 2006 525i w/ premium, nav, cold weather pkg for exactly $1500 over invoice last week from Passport BMW in Maryland and it only took 10 mins. of negotiation. The car came directly off the ship in NJ. Originally it was supposed to be $730 over invoice but they were able to do that deal. But platpus I can back you up on your statement.
  • stoleystoley Member Posts: 10
    I posted a couple months back when I placed my order for my 545i. I took delivery last week of this car:

2005 545i
    Sports Package
    Cold Weather
    Premium Sound
    Sirius Satellite
    Split fold seats
    Navigation

I got it for $60,770...has anybody done better than this?
    Dealership #1 - Shelly BMW, Buena Vista, CA

Dealership #2 - Santa Barbara BMW; Santa Barbara, CA; the best.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Hi gang,

I was offered the following for European Delivery:
    2006 525Xi with ZPP, ZCW, AT for $42K. Is this a good deal?

I've seen several posts that refer to invoice prices. Where are the people getting these prices from|? I followed the suggestions of one of the posts and checked http://e60.net/ it indicates MSRP of $40,920 and Confidential Wholesale Price of $36, 830 this means that the dealer is making approx $600 on the base price of the car.

Also, what are the lead times for ED pickup these days? I'd love to hear from someone that has done this recently.

Tx.
    khoon,

Your car as configured has a Euro invoice price of $41,240. If your dealer is willing to sell it to you for $42,000, then I'd say you've got a smoking deal, at only $760 over Euro invoice! This is by far the best deal I have ever seen. Please let us know the dealer.
    Thanks for the dealership info.

Just want to say that Shelly BMW is in Buena Park, CA near Knotts Berry Farm and not Buena Vista, CA.

I did speak with somone at Shelly BMW and they wanted around $58K+ out the door for 2006-530i with Prem Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Sports Pkg, and Navigation.

They were in no mood to negotiate and quickly hung-up the phone.
    Yeah, good deal. Average is $1000-$1500 over invoice. Your's is priced @ 41240, so $760 over invoice (as the previous post stated). These deals are obtainable by multiple ED-friendly dealers. NEVER waste your time on other non-ED CA's.

The general rule: Order car @ least 6 weeks ahead of time. (most people are getting early July dates for pickup) Your CA will give you a pickup date within 2-3 days of ordering the car. Search for plane tickets/ plan vacation. You will receive a production number - can track your car on owner's circle (although not very reliable website). 14 days before pickup - pay dealer. Picku - and have a rockin' time. Dropoff car at Harms dropoff locations throughout Europe. If leaving in Germany, expect 4 weeks till return stateside on the east coast and eight weeks if west coast.

For me, order 525i 3/1/05, pickup 5/2/05, dropoff 5/4/05 (short trip), awaiting redelivery, eta 7/1/05. (west coast)

I strongly suggest you search other bimmer forums. There is one excellent forum that has a devoted european delivery section. you will find all your answers there. The forum you referred to is wonderful especially for international flare, but there's a better one for ED. I'm not allowed to post it's name per hosts.
    good luck and congratulations.

You will LOVE ED! It was the best European trip and best experience I ever had. I will always and only (unless I buy an x5) do ED. By the way, order the navigation system! It will make your ED trip much more pleasant.

good luck.
    You can also visit our topic dedicated to this subject:
    BMW Owners: European Delivery

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Gents sorry for the goof-up but it turns out the price is 42K w/o the dest charge - not that great a deal afterall!!

BMW says 0-60 perf for 2006 525i is 7.6 secs for 525Xi it is 8.2 secs! What's the expert opinion out there on this? Isn't really slow? Is it worth the extra $4K to upgrade to the 530Xi?