Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    phil_in_socalphil_in_socal Member Posts: 28
    for best deal, work with the fleet managers directly. email fleet managers to all dealers in your surrounding area, some dealers have internet sites and have inventories available. those with large inventories of 08's will be more willing to deal. fleet managers aren't paid in the same ways as regular sales associates, they make more by moving volumes of car. and can give you a direct quote and not have to talk to a freekin sales manager who'll bs you around ( -:

work on getting atleat 15% below msrp. if a dealer has an internet site, they'll most likely a "get a quote" feature. use this, for the most part your request quote request will go directly to the fleet manager, get the car info from their online inventory and ask for a quote specific for that car or give general info of what you're looking for like, "08 528i with ... package/option, color of ..." . if not available, call the dealer and ask for fleet manager, make sure you are getting the fleet manager and not a regular sales man.

give it a try, if you're a serious buyer you got nothing but to gain from this. i do this with all my car shopping and it works, i saved a bundle for the vehicle that i like. my friends and family are amaze with deals i got. u got have to take your time, shop around. what's great about online quotes is you dont' get pressured compare to when you're "in their shop." we all know how that is. remember, get quotes directly from the dealers' sites, not some third party auto shopping sites - those are brokers.
  • Options
    anything is negotiable. if dealer is unwilling to take that off at the back-end, then deduct $550 from price you're willing to pay. if they say no, walk away and go to the next dealer.
  • Options
    u sound like a salesman, ur a prospect my friend ( o:

if manufacturer is offering a special of "no cost premium package" and you see on the sticker price that this isn't deducted, then you're not getting the mfg speical offer which, for this type of offering, everyone is entitle to.

If that mfg offer already expired then that will be a different story, if still available, then factoring this cost out of the msrp is a must before you start your negotiation.

check www.bmwusa.com for their current specials.
  • Options
    gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys what do you think of this deal for a new (purchase). Please advise me, I'm looking at the CPO program but this looks good, what do you think:
    2008 BMW 528xi
    Brand New ! Blow Out Special ! ** Lease For Only $599 With 0 Down** or Buy For Only $46,870
    Brand New ! Blow Out Special ! ** Lease For Only $599 With 0 Down** or Buy For Only $46,870
    Price: $51,770
    Exterior Color: Space Gray Metallic
    Interior Color: Gray Dakota Leather
    Transmission: Automatic Transmission
    Cylinders: 6
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I want both!
  • Options
    cpa3cpa3 Member Posts: 89
    GARDIS....where are you located....That deal is about $1000 better than the advertised deal to anyone off the street in So Calif which is a $49K car for $499 per month plus $2500 and drive offs. Be sure to check what 0 down means...I would assume it means you only pay first payment and DMV fees. Who is paying the $725 lease acquisition fee which is standard for the leases?
    That still looks like a fair deal...I am hoping to do better for my Dad. There are sure a lot of them to choose from....and the docks in Long Beach are loaded with plenty more.
  • Options
    Thanks, East Coast here (Connecticut)...............good luck on that. Thanks for the advice, I'm a total newcomer. I'm definitely going to buy, not lease.
  • Options
    jvostjvost Member Posts: 37
    I don't think this is a particularly good deal. You can back into what the deal looks like based on the payment. I'm assuming that this is a 36 Mo. 10K, deal, so it probably looks like this

MSRP $51,770
    Sales Price $47,625
    Acquisition 725
    Total Cap Cost $48,350 (discount of 6.6%)
    Down Payment $ 0
    Money Factor .00115
    Residual 58%
    Payment $599

You should be able to get about 10% off, so a good deal would be a total cap cost of $46,593 which would yield a payment of $543.

I think it's safe to assume that you can always do better than the advertised offer even on these "blow out" deals.
  • Options
    Just curious-- here in illinois I would pay about $3100 in sales tax on that deal. Rolled into the lease I would have to account for $86 a month on zero down. What is the situation in colorado on leasing and am I correct to assume that the $543 payment includes sales tax? Thanks, jvost
  • Options
    mas6002mimas6002mi Member Posts: 18
    I got a $2500 off MSRP, which is close to Invoice +4%. I got the Cold+Nav package. Monaco blue+ beige.
    Also found out that u can buy a car from a dealer and get it serviced from the BMW dealer of ur choice. So in effect u can buy from a relatively farther dealer with a good deal and then get it serviced from ur nearest dealer! it is free for 48,000mi/48mo.
    This is in the MI area, bought it from Ann Arbor.
  • Options
    The $543 does not include sales tax. Sales tax here varies by county, but is typically about 7.6%, with sales tax the payment would rise to $584.

I usually leave sales tax out of lease analysis because it makes comparing lease from around the country confusing. Some places charge it monthly based on the lease payment and some have you pay it up front or finance it. It's easier to analyze deals net of sales tax and any other random fees that various states and counties charge.
  • Options
    Just be aware that your local dealer may not offer free loaner cars to customers who buy their cars elsewhere.
  • Options
    I have a 535i X and am getting about 18 city and 30 (!) on the highway. I'd assume a non all wheel drive car would get better.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply --- do you typically roll the sales tax into the lease or pay it up front? It is interesting though, my lease payment on my 09 murano would be about $130 shy of the bmw you describe [36 months/36k] and the cap cost on mine was 29k. I would have needed an X5 [invoice 55k] though so the cost would have been a bit more. Add the premium gas and lower mpg and the extra buzz generated by driving the bmw would not have justified the expense at my age. The murano has plenty of bells and whistles and a very upscale interior. If I had wanted a sedan, the maxima sv priced in the low to mid 30's would have had plenty of chime ringing qualities to suit my needs and middle aged nervous system. I don't use 70% of the tech stuff on the murano --- my grandaughters get into it and tell me "Gramps, look at this- you can set this and that etc " Not for me, and some of the new high end vehicles have manuals the size of phone books. No thanks. I do like the xm radio.
  • Options
    curiousflcuriousfl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Phil. I appreciate the information.
  • Options
    Hi Jayrider - In Colorado the sales tax is calculated based on your monthly payment, so you pay it monthly and the lessor remits it to the taxing authorities monthly as well. I think that in some states they require that the entire sales tax amount for the term of lease be paid at lease inception, so in that case I assume that the tax either has to paid upfront or rolled into the capitalized cost. I think payment-wise it works out pretty much the same either way. On another note, one of the reasons I like leasing BMWs is that all of the maintenance is included, including brakes. On every lease I've had they end up replacing the pads and rotors before the end of the lease. That's probably a $1200 job. If you total up all of the maintenance expenses and the cost of a brake job on most cars over a 36 month period (although the free maintenance lasts for 48 mos., 50K) you might be looking at another $50/month in expenses that you have to add when comparing a BMW lease to another auto maker's lease. It's tough to beat a BMW lease.

I really like Nissan products - I have an Xterra that I absolutely love - but I admit to being a sucker for the glamour of BMW products.
  • Options
    jvost,
    what about those t.turbos? I'm not technically proficient, don't really understand what they do, and am reluctant to buy an expensive car that has them. I'd be happier with a 530i, but they don't make it again. I have a shot at a 2008 CPO 535i, with 28K miles but pretty much decided against such a high powered vehicle. I stick with what I know, which is a 328i 1996, that engine has been great to me.
  • Options
    Hi gardis -

What they do is make the car really fast. Because I lease as opposed to buy, I'm not really concerned about things like long-term reliability, maintenance expense, etc. The car's a blast to drive.
  • Options
    drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    I been driving BMW's for 25 years...the twin turbo is very fast and a pleasure to drive
    I lease it for 36 months with the full maintenance......it is worth the extra $$$$$

I compared it to the 528..no comparison

good luck
  • Options
    Thanks guys. But you are both leasing. You have nothing to lose actually, right? At the end of the 3 years, you say goodbye to the car. I keep the car so I have to look a little deeper into it. I'm also looking into 2007 530i, two nice ones I've seen at separate dealers in CT. I think that's more in my keeping. I can't say I need a "really fast" car. But I do like a sporty looking car. Thanks again.
  • Options
    weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    Is there a way to find out - other than going though the website of the dealers in the Region - to find a model and color? The BMW website allows a search for pre-owned, but I didn't see one for new (except for "Get a Quote"). I'm looking for a new Red, 535xDrive, w/AT, Cold and Premium packages (no Sport or Navi).
  • Options
    I am getting 20.8 MPG city 23 MPG highway

535i X drive with twin turbo..manual 6 speed

worth it even if you spend an extra $5 on each fill up

this is definitely not a gas guzzler
  • Options
    Took me 10 minutes to find a red one. Dealer in WilkesBarre Pa. phone 570 288 7411. Msrp 59075. You can buy and have it shipped to your house. Probably a few more -- lots of search engines on new cars but it can take time. Have fun.
  • Options
    Wow, someone has to really have a stable job, and a fabulous income to consider dropping $60,000+ on a new vehicle. And in one year or less, that care lost 25% of its value. Right? I love BMW's, but that's why I stick with the CPO program.
  • Options
    Actually that 25% reflects the asking price on used cars. The trade in or auction price is much worse. Another %10 at least. Your talking CPO and I'm talking CPR.
  • Options
    sss2sss2 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know what the current leasing deals are on the 2008 528i? It looks like my dealer still has plenty of 08's left and I know that BMW has advertised a $499/mo. deal. I'd like to know the actual MF and residuals that they are authorized to use this month and any recent deals.
  • Options
    Swapalease.com has one or $490 3 years 10k per with 0 down. You have to search the site and keep clicking on cars --- some have big down payments and low per month but in the 500 range the deals look good. You could use the info to press your local dealer or have it shipped. They have an 800 # so have at it.
  • Options
    All,
    I am down to two beautiful vehicles:
    1. 2007 530i, 29K miles, all pkgs (sports, premium, cold and one more can't remember), NAV, asking $35,900. They seem firm on it. Warranty maybe until 2012.
    2. 2007 530ix, 18K miles, warranty runs to APR14, car didn't go into svc until Apr08. One owner, fully certified, owner turned it in for a 7 series. Has sports and premium pkgs, no cold weather, no nav. asking $36,900 down from $39,000.

I am leaning toward the 530ix because I am skeptical about having nav. That's one more potential issue after car leaves warranty protection, What do you think of Navigation. Is there any issue I should be aware of related to functioning of iDrive?

I also saw a beautiful 2008 535i, asking $39,900 with 27K miles. I don't want such a high powered vehicle, and the salesman was very honest about it. He told me this: " naturally when you have twin turbos, that's two extra mechanical parts that may potentially need servicing, though we've had no issues whatsoever with them."

What do you think?
    Gardis in CT
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    My personal choice would be car #1. You get a true sports package (different suspension along with upgraded wheels, awesome sport seats, black trim around the car, & steering wheel). NAV or no NAV, idrive is idrive. I don't think you would have any more problems whether idrive has NAV or doesn't. You'll love the heated seats & heated steering wheel on the cold weather package.

***WARNING***

DO NOT DRIVE THE 535i. If you drive it, you WILL buy it :P ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fineman2fineman2 Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I recently saw a 2008 cpo 535i in NJ. It's an exec. demo with 10k miles, plat. gray premium, sports, cold weather, xenon and PDC listed for 50k. A similarly configured 09 535i is approx. 59k. Whats a good starting price to negotiate to buy/lease. eBay also has some listings for 08 535i listed between 38k to 45k.

Thanks
  • Options
    thai357thai357 Member Posts: 27
    would over 1200 invoice be a good deal? I am looking to purchase a new M3 but I didn't find too much traffic over at the M forum. I will need to order my vehicle and the dealer is offering to do it as mentioned above. It invoiced at around 62,700 and the msrp is 67,300 or somewhere there about. I plan to shop that offer around tomorrow to see if anyone can beat it. Plan to jump on this purchase in the next couple of days. I am trying to lock in the low rates before it goes back up. Which leads to my second question: Do you think BMW will keep the rates the same/lower/or raise them next month? Considering they have increased their market share by over 30% this year while all the other manufacturers are losing their pants, they are in the position to demand pretty much anything they want or so it seems.
  • Options
    They have increased their market share by over 30%?? Then maybe you can explain this to me: I saw a 2008 535i at a dealer in Bridgeport CT, has 28K miles, asking price was $42995, dropped it to $39995, and the car has been sitting on the lot since SEPTEMBER, and I know that for a fact because I've been watching it since September. So how are they selling so many cars if that's the case. I'd buy it myself except my budget is $35K for a CPO 5 series.
  • Options
    thai357thai357 Member Posts: 27
    It wasn't brand new! In any regards....
    Just put a deposit on an order on a 2009 M3 with all the bells and whistles I wanted. I will putting 0% down. On top of it I will be rolling in an additional $7500 of my current 2006 Limited Sienna AWD to combine the payments @ 3.9% or lower if BMW is good enough to decrease their promotional rates. I finally got the dealers to come down to $600 over invoice ond an order vehicle. I beleive that was a decent deal. I don't have the time to shop some more and get it down to invoice though it may have been possible. Anyways thats where I'm at and I'm happy.

Also I just wanted to say that I find this forum and all the other BMW forums here at Edmunds to have been a waste of time. I have gleaned ZERO information here to be of any use in my negotiations. All the posters here seem to be posers pretending to be in the position to purchase or for those who really couldn't afford a new Bimmer, LEASE. But I guese you do what you can to make your life more interesting, so, dream on fellas.
  • Options
    emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    Edmunds forums postings, like all opinions in life, must be taken with a grain of salt, which is a taste I prefer over vinegar.

Glad you're happy with your new car. Best of luck with it.

Happy holidays!
  • Options
    I beg to differ. I have learned a great deal from these forums. I don't quite believe everything I read, and some of these guys are way more technical than I am.

More power to you, if you can afford a car like that with all the 'bells and whistles' at a time of such economic uncertainly, God bless you pal. I'm looking at a CPO 5 series, and I am taking a second and third and fourth look before I do it.
  • Options
    Signed purchase deal today in MA:

MSRP $59,075 (premium, nav, cold, iPod adapter)
    Price paid $55,972 before trade (excl $299 non-negotiable doc fee plus TTL
    Invoice per Edmunds $54,365

Translation, $1,607 over invoice. I was hoping for no more than $1,000 over invoice, but they did give me a full $600 over KBB excellent condition on my trade, so I pretty much ended up where I planned. My trade was in good shape, but no other dealer would come close to matching the trade credit I received in this deal. The also gave me no-charge all-weather mats and chrome license plate holder (every little bit helps!).

I took the cheap money 0.9% financing, since cash is king these days.

The no-charge scheduled maintenance is nice, but be mindful it's quite limited (e.g., synthetic oil changes every 15K miles). On a 3-year lease, that's one thing, but on a purchase one might consider "protecting" his/her investment by performing more services than are included free.

Rarely do posters indicate how well their trades compare with current KBB trade-in values, yet I hope people are mindful to focus on the entire deal economics including trade-in credit, as the net price is obviously what you'll pay. A common dealer practice is to give on the new car, and get it back on a trade, or vice versa (depending on which end of the deal the customer is more sensitive to).

Picking it up tomorrow night. Monaco blue exterior with natural brown interior. I'm excited!
  • Options
    edmedway,
    Congratulations. I don't quite understand you about the no charge scheduled maintenance. The four year warranty covers ALL maintenance. I asked specifically about a 30K mile service on a CPO vehicle I'm looking at (since the vehicle has 18K miles, and I know that service to be about a $650 service), and the answer was the service was FREE under the warranty, as long as I get the 30K mile mark before 4 years goes by. Also free oil changes. Could you clarify?
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    You and the OP are talking about the same thing, however, the OP is concerned (rightfully in my opinion) the maintenance covered by BMW is not sufficient for those wanting to keep the car long long term. The oil changes at avg of 15k likely stretch the limit of synthetic oil against breakdown, etc. Obviously for those that lease, this is a non-issue.
  • Options
    richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    Im wondering if since you say the car depreciates 25% in the first year why dont more people lease a 1 or 2 year old car. You would be getting the same thing essentially but much cheaper since you avoid the huge hit in depreciation. Or do the car companies see that coming and make the experience so unpleasant or make the deals on new cars so good? The lease payments would be so much cheaper. I lease because I get tired of cars so easily and I hate hate hate the selling or trading in of a used car process.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    The leasing programs on CPOs aren't very good... The incentives are all on the purchase side, when it comes to used cars..

You'll find much better leases on a brand new car...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    argumentatorargumentator Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I havent posted previously but wanted to share... I'm going to pick up my new car this afternoon - below are the details of the deal FYI:

NEW 08 528i, white, prem pkg, sport pkg, parking sensors (MSRP $51425, selling price $44k). 36 mo lease, 10k miles, MF 0.001, 58% residual, zero cap cost red (drive off inc sec deposit, first month payment + DMV fees totaling ~$1600). Monthly payments are $495 + Tax.
  • Options
    Guys,
    has there been any technical issues with navigation? Im looking at a CPO 2007 530i (29K miles) that has nav, and all the packages (sports, premium, cold, and one more can't remember) car is beautiful asking $34,900 for it, with negotation some wiggle room. I just want to be sure I'm not looking for a problem with the navigation which I don't even care about, but the vehicle has it. Car is really loaded, would hate to pass it up.

Also another one 2007 530xi, 18K miles, warranty expires Apr 2014. Asking $36,900 dealer won't budge. That's another 2 grand, but warranty goes longer. Am torn, don't know what to do. I'm leaning toward the $34,900 one, has more. Dealer says his 530xi is competitive in price. I could care less about all wheel drive.
    That extended warranty is tempting however.

Any advice?
  • Options
    I would go for the 2007 5 series.

longer warranty...has x drive..( better for resale)
    worth the extra $$$

I drive a 2009 535xi manual

you can probably negotiate a little more on the 2007
  • Options
    I've read your many posts. They suggest a desire to move up to a BMW, but also a hesitation based on price concerns, reliability concerns, etc. There's no perfect car. All have faults, and all are probably too expensive for what they are. A car that "fits" one person can be totaly wrong for another.

I don't care how much money a person has; a car is a major decision and a very personal thing. It's something we use a lot and want to feel comfortable about.

Dealers, Edmunds posters, professional reviewers, CR, etc. all have opinions, some relevant, some not. And though all can be useful in forming an educated buying decision, only you will be writing the check, so be sure to form your own opinions in the end. For example, I commented earlier that the no-charge maintenance might be insufficient to ensure long-term reliability, but that's just one opinion, as others might not agree.

Good luck in your quest, whether it's this car, that car, or no car...whatever YOU decide.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Dealer says his 530xi is competitive in price.
    Competitive with what? Both of those cars are $25K at most at auction. Widen your search area and wait - a better deal on the car you really want is probably right around the corner (lots of 06s and 07s coming off lease). If you care about a deal - go some place other than the BMW dealer since they'll probably have the highest mark up. They make very little on new cars - guess where they make money? ;)

Just as a data point: I test drove a loaded 06 525xi with 30k mi and it was listed at $29k and they would have probably taken 25k for it.
  • Options
    Offered $50.8K for new 535xi w/Cold, Premium, iPod/USB and Satellite radio. Should I accept, or go for 09 528xi w/Cold, Premium, Sport, iPod/USB, Satellite radio, and Xenons and shoot for $50.8K? Would do the deal January 2nd.
  • Options
    tollfreeproductollfreeproduc Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 2007 530i and now I own 2008 535i
    Steering is stiffer for 2008 535i and much faster

530i was plenty fast for daily driving.

535i is fast but not really really fast. I tried to fool around with really fast cars and got owned.....

Honestly they are both great cars.
  • Options
    I received an e-mail from a BMW dealer, stating there's a $2.5K stimulus plan on 5 Series till the end of the month.
  • Options
    josehbjosehb Member Posts: 6
    Where did you get this great deal.Here in NJ the average quote I got from dealers was around $2,700.00 off sticker price for a 2009 528xi with premiun and climate pkg.

Should I keep insisting to lower the price, I hate to hagle, but I though the prices would be lower in this economy.

Thanks