Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Help! Brand new 2015 CX-5 with horrible mileage - 23mpg for highway

unknown00unknown00 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Mazda
i just got a brand new 2015 mazda cx-5 touring FWD and i get horrible highway mileage. the car currently has about 1500miles on it. i am a light easy driver, and i always calculate my mpg by dividing the odometer by how much i filled up at the gas station.

i went on a roadtrip this holiday season, and for the 2 tanks that i did highway only, i got 23 and 24mpg. i thought i was suppose to get 30mpg+?!?! i use cruise control and i usually cruise at 75mph/2.5krpm or 80mph/2.75krpm. when i check my odometer for the computerized current mpg, it does confirm that i only get 15-25mpg when i am cruising. for city/mix i have been getting around 28mpg, how do i get 23mpg by going highway only?!?! also, for those that say it could be caused by me driving too fast, i have never had this issue with any of my past cars

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2015
    I think your low MPG is consistent with your MPH. City/mix of 28 mpg is about right for that car, real world, according to sites like TrueDelta. If you drove 60-65 mph, you'd be very close to the EPA of 30 mpg hwy.

The graph below is generic, not specific to your car--but you get the idea.

Short answer? You're driving at a speed that is not optimum for mpg and IMO your results are normal. So don't worry that something's wrong with the car.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2015
    Our 2014 long term test CX-5 Grand Touring got 21.3 mpg combined during its first 2,000 miles. By the time the year-long test was over, that had moved up to 25.2 mpg. I'm pretty sure that the model in the Edmunds fleet had the same 2.5l engine as yours.

Assuming you've checked the tire pressure, I think what you need are few more tanks on the Mazda before you get too concerned, and some warmer weather may help too. Some cars get the EPA rating from the start, but my last new car took 10,000 miles to really hit its stride. And yeah, slow down if you want to see a 30 mpg tank.
  • Options
    flgregflflgregfl Member Posts: 3
    i am also getting horrible mileage . mostly city driving. 18-19 mgp. highway, lucky to get 24. no speeding or sudden starts or stops. dealer told me not too rely on dashboard system and did it myself, same results.

have about 3k miles on car and no improvement.

not sure what to do as dealer doesnt seem interested in helping.