Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    nomorevw1nomorevw1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Tacoma V6, in my case a Prerunner Xtracab with an automatic. I've got about 1000 miles on it. I've noticed a lot of engine noise when accelerating with the engine cold. I don't know if it's the same thing that you're hearing. It sounds like valve lifters or something, its very loud, and I'm guessing that it's normal. The noise is still there when the engine warms up, but it's not as loud. More bothersome to me is a subtle engine vibration that seems to occur when the engine is running at about 2000 rpm, about 50-60 mph. This is also much more noticeable when the engine is cold, but it happens all the time. I noticed the other day that if I rev the engine up to about 2000 to 2500 rpm and hold it steady, with the truck in neutral, I can feel the vibration fade in and out. I've seen reviews that describe how smooth the V6 in the Tacoma is, but the engine in mine seems to be anything but smooth. If what I have is normal, this is the noisiest, roughest V6 I've ever driven. For the most part, I really like the truck, but between the engine noise, vibrations, and 14.5 mpg I'm getting so far, I'm not sure I can live with it for very long.
  • Options
    apicalsysapicalsys Member Posts: 3
    I called my dealer about the valve(??) noise and the service manager said not to be concerned. He said that if the timing were off, it would be very difficult to start, which it isn't. He also said that if the knock sensor was bad, the check engine light would be on, but it isn't. My knocking, or pinging, isn't so bad that I cannot live with it but I want to be sure that I am not gong to cause any long term damage. The dealer said that I should not be concerned about engine damage from the pinging so I'm not taking it in yet. In your case, nomorevw1, the vibration you are experiencing may be the knock sensor kicking in to retard the pinging. This is the purpose of the knock sensor. You should try a tank of 89 or 93 octane to see if the same behavior occurs to confirm this. It sounds like you and I are experiencing the same "problem" but I have not noticed the vibration, maybe because I did go ahead and fill up with 93.

Let's keep the dialog open to see how it goes for the next few thousand miles.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Regular unleaded in my area is 87 octane and no pinging/detonation in my 03 V6.
  • Options
    apicalsysapicalsys Member Posts: 3
    Since we've only got ~1000 miles, maybe the engine hasn't "loosened up" yet. Gonna give mine some more time before I let dealer look at it. I'll see what it's like around 4000 miles when I go in for 1st oil change.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've managed to lose my maintenance manual for my 2000 2WD Xtra Cab 4 cylinder Tacoma. I'm overdue for the 120,000 mile servicing and starting to think about the 150,000 mile servicing. Does anyone know of a link to a web site that would call out what is supposed to be done for each servicing? Or else, take a look at their manual and let me know which one (I vaguely recollect that they are different) is the more extensive, and what is required? I sure would appreciate it!

Also, could I get a new one from the dealer?
  • Options
    steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    You can get that info from Toyota's web site.

http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/smg/pdfs/auto_truck_service_- 00.pdf

has the complete info for a 2000, but you can also request it for just a specific mileage.

Steve.

Steve.
  • Options
    Thank you very much - that is exactly what I was looking for! I went ahead and printed out the truck portion so I'll be able to figure it out later.
  • Options
    chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    I got the 1 in, 2 out system, It's not REAL dual exhaust, but I LOVE IT! It keeps sounding better with age. The gas mileage is up to about 21mpg hwy! my all around mileage is about 17mpg. Took it off roading a few weeks ago, that exhaust really sounds good when there is a slight strain at 2k-3k rpm. I put the dual pipes out both sides between the back tires and the rr bumper so it would look as close to factory as possible. The power increase is mostly at hwy speeds, but itr seems to have taken about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second off my 0-60 time. it's still around 10 seconds though. My White 00 Tacoma X-cab SR5 V6 Auto came with the 3:9 rear end(bought it used w/48,000 miles). I wish it had the 4:1. But the 31/10.50's seem to do fine even without it.
    does anyone here have any advice on finding a USED 4:1,maybe at a junkyard or somthing. with the locking diff? That would top it off!!!
  • Options
    sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Here's a pressrelease for new Tacoma X-Runner (replacement for S-Runner) 2005.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- - =2004tacoma-xrunner_r

And it's got the new 4.0L V6.....240hp, 285lbs/ft. Ford Ranger, eat your heart out :)
  • Options
    I do not like what I see. Maybe when the 4WD model is unvieled it will look better. Also, Frontier 05 will have 4.0-liter DOHC V6 producing 250-plus horsepower and 270-plus lb-ft of torque and looks to be competive in every way to Toyota.
    Glad I have my 03 Tacoma SR5 4WD. Only items I would want are the new engine and rear doors.
  • Options
    emtemt Member Posts: 39
    Well I have mixed emotions on what I saw. I to hope the 4wd unit will look better. As far as the V6 goes, great, but what about a V8??? If they really wanted a sports truck, then they should have shoved a V8 in there and for an added bonus, the super charger! I am not one for hood scoops, so that just turned me off. I do like the basic looks of the truck though. I like the size increase but to knock Dodge and the Dakota out of the ring, a V8 will be needed. Also, I hope they offer the 6ft bed with the crew cab. If not, I will look at the Frontier or hang onto my 98 x-cab until the wheels fall off!
  • Options
    The pictures show what is essentially an S-Runner: a lowered model. So 2WD model would sit few inches taller, and 4WD would be even taller. On the 6th, there'll be pictures of other models available from Toyota or TTORA guys around Chicago.
  • Options
    I dont the v8 is a MUST in the new x-runner. If you look on paper some tests show the 02 tacoma s-runner (3.4L 5-sp) was faster 0-60 than the dakota 5.9 r/t. Its all about the gearing and power-weight ratio. I do hope the v8 will be offered in the d-cab prerunner or 4x4 for towing purposes. If you pay attention, in the 4runner that 4.0 V6 boasts 10 more hp than the 4.7 V8 (235/245). but the torque diffrence is only about 18 ft lbs, (282/320). I dont think it will be a sluggish truck at all since the 4.0 is paired with a 6-speed man. tranny!!! I cant wait to see pics of the rest of them!!!
  • Options
    The guy talked about 0-60 times of 7 sec, and 6 sec with TRD blower.....which I haven't heard of yet, but it looks like it'll be available eventually.
    Also, he said that truck pulls 0.9g on curves, beating 350Z in roadholding.

I was going to buy a 350Z couple years from now......we'll see.

chorton: 320-282=38 lbs. However, a whole lot of that 320 torque is available a lot sooner than on the V6. iForce V8 was never a race engine, it's for towing. If Toyota wanted to give Taco a V8, they'd have to beef up the suspension pretty good.
  • Options
  • Options
    emtemt Member Posts: 39
    If I remember correctly, Toyota makes V-8's other then the I-Force 4.7. While the 4.7 was made for work, the Lexus V-8's are made for play, so why not put one in the x-runner? I don't disagree with anyone that the V-6 with a blower will be a screamer, but some of us would maybe like to see a V-8, not only in the x-runner, but available in all Tacoma models. And yes I do know that the V-6 has more horses than the 4.7 V-8.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    When looking at lateral G loads measured on a smooth flat skid pad, remember that things are a little different in the real world. Solid rear axles on a pickup trucks won't handle the bumps as well as the independent rear suspension on a car like a 350Z. So on a twisty road the 350Z would be my choice over a solid rear axle pickup.
  • Options
    enolagaiaenolagaia Member Posts: 4
    Call me crazy, but I'm debating whether I'd rather wait on the new '05 Tacomas or go ahead and buy an '04. Part of it's my preference for the smaller form factor; part of it's the usual apprehension about first-year models, etc., etc.

Anyway, I needed to know when '04 production was gonna cease, so I'd know my 'drop-dead' time for ordering an '04...

After unsuccessful attempts to find out through local dealerships, I gave up and went straight to 'The Source' to get an answer. On the off chance it might work, I called NUMMI directly and told the receptionist I wanted to know when '04 Toyota Tacoma production would cease. I was put through to a production control person / office, and they were kind enough to tell me that they're scheduling ongoing '04 Taco production until September 2004, when they'll switch over to 2005 model production.

I guess this means that anyone who decides to opt for an '04 (owing to impatience or preference over the '05) has until this summer to make up their mind.
  • Options
    i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    That's what I'm doing. I'm just waiting to see what the 4WD version will look like.

Also, the 05 will have a more powerful 4.0L V6 (from the current 4Runner) as opposed to the current 3.4L V6 in current Tacos.
  • Options
    The 05 will hit in fall and will be comparable to a dakota or a colorado in size. Toyota is usually quick to move with the market on compact trucks. I am not really sure if they will put a V8 in it or not, look at the 4runner. Now days we almost never see a V8 come through here. I bet we've only sold 2 or 3 this year. If they do offer the v8 it will probably be in the d-cab only maybe only in the limited or a 4x4. but it would be a towing monster! The V8 4runner will tow more than any other vehicle toyota sells in the US!!!
  • Options
    ibudic1ibudic1 Member Posts: 30
    Too bad there isn't a Tacoma vs ranger board any more. Check this out...

http://www.brakedisc.net/features/top-gear-toyota/index.php

this too, almost as impressive

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/16558/index.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the links. Entertaining. Yes the Tacoma/HiLux is very durable and very capable. My truck is almost a twin of the one tested by fourwheeler except mine has a factory sunroof. I really enjoy my truck and am happy I purchased it before the 05's arrived. The only change I would like is a turbo diesel that is offered on the HiLux in nearly every market except North America. Then my Tacoma would be perfect IMO.
  • Options
    dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    could find something that meaningless to do with their time!

Second link is quite impressive.
  • Options
    kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    Anyone with experience pulling another vehicle on a 2-wheel car dolly? Looking at doing this with a 4-DR V6 Prerunner to haul a Civic to Wisconsin next month. Can I just run on highway in normal highway overdrive or must run without? Any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any tips and warnings.
  • Options
    Check everything TWICE when you hook up the trailer and the car. Check the hitch and the straps and chains holding the car to the dolly periodically throughout the trip. Maintain reasonable speeds. A tire failure while towing may end in disaster if traveling at too high a speed.
    I towed a compact car with a dolly and the concern I had was stopping. Weight of car plus dolly was around 4,000 lbs and stopping distance as well as the way the trailer pushed the truck was scary at times.
    Power to tow was fine and I left the ECT swith and overdrive in their normal positions. In talking to some other Tacoma owners who tow regularly they told me to watch the transmission temp. and stop and let trans. cool off and check fluid if the dash light for trans lit up. I did not experience any problems.
    My truck is a 2003 Tacoma 4WD Xcab V6 with automatic. I'll tell you this, even though the Tacoma is rated at 5,000 lbs, I would never want to tow that much.
  • Options
    donmdonm Member Posts: 2
    hey everybody, IM a new Taco owner! I've had my 04 pre-runner for a month now and I must say its everything I had read and heard about. Its a great truck. I have a question concerning the undercoating...I called the Toyota dealer that I purchased the truck from and they told me I didn't have to apply an undercoating because the factory already had done it, even thought it appears clear. I don't see the usual rough black surface that IM used to seeing with under coats. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    dave_bdave_b Member Posts: 8
    Seeking input/experiences...not sure what would be best standard or automatic, 2.4L, 2.7L or 3.4L.

Initially, I was not going to look at the PreRunner but they seem plentiful. Not sure if the automatic coupled with either the 2.7L or 3.4L would make more sense than the 2.4L coupled with either the standard or automatic...

Any opinions??

Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    khinanightkhinanight Member Posts: 2
    Buddy I agree with you 100 percent! I too had an older truck and it was super reliable, powerful and long lasting. Thats why I brought a 1997 Tacoma. Big disappointment in the emergency handling department plus they skimped on the automatic seatbelt retractors. Sheeeshh I m not asking for much...just dont be so greedy. I will not look at the Ford/Mazda trucks. More features for less money.
  • Options
    Part of the answer depends on what your needs are.

I have a 2000 2WD XtraCab 4 banger with the MT. It is (barely) adequate for my needs - I often have to downshift to 4th gear to maintain 70 mph on part of my daily commute (the I5 Grapevine - a steep climb up into the mountains).

It is also a bit hair-raising to get on the freeway when you have to dodge slow-moving 18 wheelers and merge with fast moving cars (closer to 80 than 60). The auto would never work for me.

However, if you are planning on driving on mostly level city streets, the auto would probably be fine.
  • Options
    autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    tell me what year the Tacoma changed it's automatic from the column shifter to the console? Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    From what I remember, Tacoma always had console mounted shifter, ever since it was released in 95.5
  • Options
    gop4evergop4ever Member Posts: 5
    I've gotta say, I am soooo glad I got rid of that Ranger and switched to a Tacoma. I have the 2.7 4WD, 5sp, and I'm getting 25mpg. Same hp and torque as my old 3L Ranger (which got 19mpg at its best and it was a 2WD). Plus it's a relief to not be back at the dealer twice a month to have various things fixed (I guess 30K miles is old age for a Ford). By far this is the best vehicle Ive ever owned.
  • Options
    autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    further question. Can the tacoma actually sit 3 in the bench seat with the console shift?
  • Options
    Well.....I don't have bench seats, so I can't tell you.
    However, judging from the truck width, it's certainly possible, but it won't be too comfortable like in a fullsize.
  • Options
    2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I am pretty sure that only the 2wd models came with the column shifter.
  • Options
    vintagemxvintagemx Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm looking for an 02 Tacoma for work and towing. I'll be towing a couple of dirt bikes and related gear. I live in the NE and was told to stay away from 2wd because of the snow. What are your experiences? What about 4 or 6 cylinder?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I have a 2WD, 5 speed, 4 banger. I've never driven it on snowy roads - since there are usually chain requirements on the roads whenever the snow flakes fly I usually drive a 4x4 vehicle. However, I have driven the Taco on some uphill dirt roads.

It is VERY easy to spin the rear tires (lose traction) on steeper dirt roads (we are not talking 4x4 trails - just graded forest service roads, but relatively steep ones). If I were to be driving it on slick roads, I'd want a couple of cement blocks in the back.

The 4 cylinder gets very good gas mileage - we normally get around 28 mpg on almost all hilly freeway driving. It has plenty of power for driving on the flat, though it doesn't have a whole bunch of power lower down.

I would not want to be driving the 4 cylinder in an auto on my commute - I have a large elevation gain and I have to downshift to 4th to maintain 70 mph over part of it.

So take a look at what type of driving you are going to be doing. If it will be all city or flat, then the 4 banger either as an auto or a 5 speed might be fine. If you have many hills, then get either the 5 speed or the 6 cylinder. If you get the 2WD, be prepared to carry extra weight in the back in the winter.
  • Options
    carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Could you make a realistic case arguing the Tacoma with the 22 series 4 cylinder engines to be the most reliable vehicle made?

After reading CRs and hearing of so many high mileage TACOS it seems it must be one fo the most reliable vehicles on the road.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hi there. i am looking at a barely used 03 Tacoma automatic. base model, 4 cylinder, no power windows or anything like that.

i know the truck has ABS standard, but i live in the DC area. we don't get much snow at all, but we do get rain. some snow though.

anyway, not concerned with POWER, but more with safety. can a 2wd Tacoma automatic handle the occasional snowy commute? or is it going to be a lost cause like my Miata?

thanks!

also, anything quirky or special i should know about 03 Tacomas, reliability wise?
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    will the base Tacoma, TWO OR THREE times a year, be able to pull one jetski/waverunner in and out of water on a boat ramp?
  • Options
    Just my 2 cents about driving in snow. I've never done it in my 2000 2wd 4 banger Taco - when the roads look bad we drive the 4x4 so we won't have to deal with chains (they usually require chains in snowy weather). I have driven it on dirt roads occasionally, and the back end is very light - I lost traction a couple of times in places my Wrangler (in 2wd) sails right through. If I were going to be driving on iffy roads, I'd want a couple of cement blocks (or hay bales) in the back.

I've never towed anything with mine, and I don't have a clue how much a jetski weighs. So hopefully someone else (who does) can address this issue.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesday evenings... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 5-6pmPT/8-9pm ET

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    The following are the new powertrain combo's for the 2005 tacoma model.
    -PRERUNNER OR 4X4 REG & EX-CAB CAB 4CYL 5SP MAN ONLY
    -ALL D-CABS 6CYL ONLY
    -PRERUNNER OR 4X4 D-CAB & EX-CAB V6 6SP MAN OR 5SP AUTO
    -V6 AUTO D-CAB WILL HAVE A LONG BED OPTION

This is not a guess! comes from a reliable source.
  • Options
    So they will have different manual trannys in the 4 cyl. and the V6 (5 speed in the 4 cyl. and a 6 speed in the V6)? That's interesting. I'm not surprised they are going to the manual only with the 4 cyl. engine - my 5 speed manual is just adequate and I think I would be miserable with an auto.

If I were looking at Tacos now, I'd be really interested in the V6 with a 5 speed auto - could be a good combination for fuel efficiency and power.
  • Options
    footpoundsfootpounds Member Posts: 22
    mtngal, I just wanted to counter your statement "5 speed manual is just adequate and I think would be miserable with an auto". I think performance is not as simple as 5 speed = bad, auto = worse. I have the double cab 4 cyl.(2.7L) auto and performance is great. It has a 4.56 axle (stock) and not once have I thought I needed any more power than what was available. I've had it loaded with 4 people and made road trips of 800+ miles, went up hills fine, and acceleration RPM's remain under 3000. Did I mention I can spin the tires on dry payment at will? If your performance is "just adequate", maybe a different axle is in order or perhaps a tune-up.
  • Options
    Probably different gears would make a difference, but then I would lose mpg (and I do love that 28-30 mpg). My 2WD xtra cab 5 speed is adequate for my needs - nothing more. I have to down shift to 4th gear usually to maintain 70 mph on part of my commute and getting on the freeway in the mornings is interesting - the on-ramp is steeply uphill and I have to dodge through 18 wheelers doing 25 and merge with cars doing 85-90. Makes for an exciting time when you don't have much power in reserve. I test drove an auto and it seemed more sluggish than what I have now for a similar truck so I would say that it is just adequate. I'm sure that if I didn't have a daily commute that went from sea level to 6,000 feet I would probably feel differently.
  • Options
    2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    V6 with 6 spd!...now i'm getting even nore excited.
  • Options
    bemanabemana Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, just bought 2wd 1999 single cab, only option a/c for 5,500 with 65,000 mi. TX truck (no snow) and synthetic oil for it's lifespan thus far. I think I got an ok deal. I do however live in WI and have driven 2wd trucks before with extra weight in back, however I'd like to purchase some snow tires, looked on Ebay, not much luck..any advice for good snow tires at a good price that'll fit this lil' truck?? Any advice much appreciated.
  • Options
    I live in AL, not much snow here. I had some Bridgestone dueler A/T's on my v6 4x4 they did fine in mud, I would assume snow traction is good as well.
  • Options
    gop4evergop4ever Member Posts: 5
    I had a set of Goodyear Ultragrips on my 2wd Ranger, and they were fantastic, never got stuck or slid around. On my 4wd Tacoma a have Cooper Discoverer something...pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the Goodyears (of course the 4wd makes up for that).
This discussion has been closed.