Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2015 E-Class: buy new - keep for 10 years (?)

mark_wnymark_wny Posts: 70
edited January 2015 in Mercedes-Benz
I hope this question is acceptable to the forum. Most posters here seem to fall into 2 categories: 1) the very rich, who will be buying their car new and tossing it after just 2 or 3 years, or 2) the highly skilled, who are looking at 10 year-old cars and plan do their own m&r (maintenance & repair).

I'm in the middle: I have some money but zero mechanical skills. Here's what I'm thinking - if my figures are wildly off, you can tell me.

new 2015 E 350 sedan
w/ a few options, including
4 yr maintenance pckg 57800
8% NYS tax 4624
M&R, after first 4 years 21600 (300 per month x 72 months)
= 84024
less p/p sale price at end - 10000
total cost over 10 years = 74024 (or 617 per month for 120 months)

This does not include gas, insurance or finance fee (cash deal). I will drive only 8K miles a year. Since no one anywhere has any reliable info on m&r costs, I'm 'guesstimating' they will be roughly 300 per month, once the warranty & maintenance plan are up (300 is a lot of $, if I may humbly submit). In any case, please let me know if these figures sound 'approximately accurate.' Thanks!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I think your M&R costs are too much unless....UNLESS...you have some catastrophic failure, such as engine or transmission. Given the miles you drive per year, I don't see why your M&R costs after the warranty expires should be any more than $125/150 per month.
  • Thanks Mr_Shift_right - I hope you are right & I would be delighted to be proved wrong. I've had a hard time pinning anyone down on M&R. I suppose this raises the issue of low-mileage leasing (7500 mi.) - but that's another topic for another day.

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    The most recent True Cost to Own info we have is for a new 2013 E350 Class. But you could expect that changes for the '14 and '15 models wouldn't be drastic.
  • Why would you do that when you could lease 4 brand new ones with full warranties for the same $?
  • I'm in the camp of buying new and keeping for 8 - 10 years. I believe depreciation is the biggest expense over that period of time, and that approach should minimize overall expenses.

As for maintenance, with all the technology in cars now, self maintenance I think is impossible. You probably should budget for twice yearly trips to the dealer after the first 4 or 5 years. Your $300 a month is a bit high, but not way high, I would suggest $200. My S-class was totally trouble free for 5 years, and now I have to visit the dealer a couple times a year. Each "visit" tops $1,200.

It's worth it to me though. 8 years in, and I feel like I'm driving a brand new car.