Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lease question - fair deal?

rjaustinrjaustin Member Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Mazda
Hi. I live in Austin, Texas and just received the following quote on a new Mazda CX-5 GT:

$29,275 Capitalized Cost
10,000 miles / year
24 months
$0 down with first payment due at signing
69% residual value
.00090 Money Factor

Does this look like a good deal?

Is there a good reason other than lower monthly payments to go with a 36 month lease? In other words, will I save money overall by getting a more favorable deal?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    rjaustin said:

Hi. I live in Austin, Texas and just received the following quote on a new Mazda CX-5 GT:

$29,275 Capitalized Cost
    10,000 miles / year
    24 months
    $0 down with first payment due at signing
    69% residual value
    .00090 Money Factor

Does this look like a good deal?

Is there a good reason other than lower monthly payments to go with a 36 month lease? In other words, will I save money overall by getting a more favorable deal?

That's FWD, right?

Yes.. the best reason for getting a 36 month lease is the lower payment...

It's hard to say how good your deal is, because you don't give the MSRP.

Did they quote you a 36 month payment?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rjaustinrjaustin Member Posts: 4
    It's the two wheel drive version, so yes, FWD. The MSRP is $29,275. Here's a link to the exact car: http://www.mazdaofaustin.com/vehicle/new-2015-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-1768925.cfml

I didn't request a 36 month payment. I tend to change cars every two years, but I would be willing to wait three this time if it's a smart financial move.

Thanks for your help!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    rjaustin said:

It's the two wheel drive version, so yes, FWD. The MSRP is $29,275. Here's a link to the exact car: http://www.mazdaofaustin.com/vehicle/new-2015-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-1768925.cfml

I didn't request a 36 month payment. I tend to change cars every two years, but I would be willing to wait three this time if it's a smart financial move.

Thanks for your help!

Is the CAP cost the same as the MSRP? A little unusual, but if everything is rolled into it (acq.fee, title license fees, etc), it could happen.. This vehicle has $1125 of lease cash, so if the CAP cost is the same as MSRP, that seems like a little too much.. It would help if we knew your state/tax rate and the payment that they actually quoted you...

To compare 24 vs. 36 months..

I calculate $422/mo.+tax for the 24 month term, assuming your parameters... and just $363/mo.+tax for the 36 month term.. If the selling price was discounted more, it would narrow that difference, but not by a lot..

As much as one would like to change cars often, it's expensive, especially if you are only using 10K/yr mileage.. A 36 month lease at only 10K/yr is pretty cost efficient, because you will still be under warranty and aren't likely to have any wear and tear issues like tires or brakes in only 30K miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree that the 36 month lease makes more sense. They quotes me MSRP: $29,275 and a lease at 10k miles /year for $540/month with first payment due at signing and no money down. The residual value was 69% on the 24 month lease and the money factor was .00090. The auto tax in Texas is:6.25%. From what I have here, the total cap cost would be: $29,401 (which includes all the doc prep, title fees, etc.) + .0625(29,275) = $31,230.69.

I agree. I spoke to the Finance Director of the dealer and discovered the lease quote given to me was incorrect. Thanks for your help. I signed a much better three year deal last night that I am very happy with. You are doing great work here.