Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• Options
    bryansbryans Member Posts: 2
    In my state you have to take it in 4 times for the same problem or have it in for service for more than 30 days before it's a lemon.

Yesterday was the third time for the chiming and back firing sound.

I guess fourth time is the charm regardless.
  • Options
    dszyman48dszyman48 Member Posts: 4
    We had same prob with hardware store keys. My NOX dealer said there's a chip in the key. So, no chip; no start. As for the fob, GM is too crafty to have there be an easy & inexpensive solution.
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    GM has had this PassKey system standard on most if not all cars for about 8 to 10 years. Unfortunately if you lose your keys, you must go to the dealership to secure a new one. A regular key purchased at the hardware store will not start your vehicle, as you have found out. There is a chip inside the key as was mentioned in the above post. I do not own a 'Nox, but do have a Buick Regal with PassKey II and it has a chip that is visible in the key. I did need a replacement, and the key cost me $25.00 about a few years ago. Be prepared to pay at least that.
  • Options
    trieltriel Member Posts: 6
    hello, i also is getting only 14 mile per gallon. my first equinox was only getting 14 mile per gallon and then the nox broke down. it was under 30 days so they traded me into another, and the new one only get 14 miles per gallon. it hope the manufacter did not mislead the consumer. i don't use the aircondition, and i was only driving highway miles.
  • Options
    bigeauxbigeaux Member Posts: 46
    I've been shopping the small ute market - CR-V, Forrester, Santa Fe, Escape/Tribute primarily - and decided to give the Nox a shot. Drove an LT, mostly on the interstate.

The styling is sporty, definitely a departure from the Chevy Malibu and Impala rentals I've grown accustomed to the last few years for business and personal trips. Very clever interior layout - lots of little nooks and pockets. Advantage for tall drivers in that window power controls are on the center console, not the door. So your knee isn't banging into it like on the Santa Fe.

The driving experience was similar to the Santa Fe, maybe a little better. Definitely superior to the Escape, IMHO. But it's funny how the CR-V, with the 4 cylinder engine, still seems pretty decent in comparison, especially when you factor in cost and reliability. I still think the Forrester has the best ride in class.

Likes: space, layout, styling, comfort, rear cargo shelf. In terms of day to day use, I could see myself in it.

Indifferent: engine/transmission performance, braking, and steering was decent. Not the best in class, certainly not the worst.

Dislikes: option packaging/pricing doesn't really suit my needs. Worried about new model problems. Not sure I trust GM.

Bottom line: I "like it" in terms of the driving experience and the vehicle itself. But I can't really bring myself to make the leap. If I'm shopping again in a couple of years, I might come back to it.
  • Options
    hatechevyhatechevy Member Posts: 5
    I contacted GM with my problems and got nowhere. When I threatened the Lemon Law, I was told that they could no longer assist me since I may pursue that avenue. I have had the same Door Chiming problem. My car battery has died 3 times and have been told I must have left something on or that OnStar is draining the battery. I get the clunking noise in the rear too, but not sure at what frequency. My struts were replaced early on. While my coolant hasn't froze, my windshield washer fluid has on numerous times. I even emptied it and refilled thinking possibly the dealership mixed water with the fluid. I am very disappointed and feel helpless with what to do other than look for another car. I will never buy a GM product again.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Some of these issues sound like the dealer or your mistake. You can't blame the vehicle for freezing washer fluid, if you don't put winter fluid in' it's always a risk. As for the battery and door issues, they should be fixed under warranty and if your dealer won't / can't do it right, go to another dealer. These are all fixable issues.
  • Options
    What was the outcome of your service call? Were they able to identify what is causing the door chiming? Maybe I could pass the information along to my dealership.
  • Options
    jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    No wonder you can't get your Equinox fix! You can't even post you message to the right message location!
    Hey Boys, get onto the correct message board!
    This is not the "Chevrolet Equinox Problems and Solutions" board!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here it is for anyone interested: Chevrolet Equinox Problems and Solutions

tidester, host
  • Options
    mconemcone Member Posts: 5
    Please Please Please do the lemonm law..They are lemons. I just had to do it on my Equinox. The dealerships are no help. When I threatened it, the service assistant said "go ahead." It has been in the shop 5 times for not starting and they seem to never be able to find the problem. I am now waiting for arbitration or some sort of settlement...Please do the lemon law!!!
  • Options
    michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    Can you give me the number to call GM please.
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    No, the manufacturer (GM) did not mislead you. Belive it or not the Federal Government, i.e. the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is responsible for the mileage numbers you see on the window sticker of a car.

Send your complaint to the EPA.
  • Options
    Sorry, No Problems to Report.
    I am a Happy Nox Owner! :)
  • Options
    You don't need to be rude about it. I was searching the net to find out if other people are having problems like me. Based on this message board, there are several people. I think it is great that you are so happy with your Equinox. I wish I could say the same because when the car DOES run, I love mine too! Unfortunately, with it being only 11 months old, I would not say it is reliable.
  • Options
    Putting summer washer fluid in your NOX in the winter isn't going to help it be reliable.
  • Options
    I'm starting to see more Equinoxes on the road.

There are at least 10 running around my neighborhood.

Nox on!!!
  • Options
    luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Here is an update on our Nox:
    Purchased my New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31, came right off the truck, still with the wrappers. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After 1600 miles and about 3 months I am happy to report no problems. I'm impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. My wife loves it. I've driven it in the rain and snow and have no leaks any where. No abnormal noise. Antifreeze is still a nice looking light red, and no odor. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Currently getting about 19 mpg combined. Wife and I luv the vehicle and its universal features. :)
  • Options
    wvnoxwvnox Member Posts: 1
    We received delivery of an Equinox in February, right off the truck. We checked the gas mileage on 8-10 tanks, and it ranged from 19 for driving in the mountains and towns, to 25 for a trip mostly on the interstate. Most of the tanks ran 22-23 mpg. We were pretty happy with the handling and pickup (although it's no sports car), and the electric steering seemed perfectly fine. Unfortunately on March 11 another vehicle lost control on an icy road and hit us head-on. The Nox front end caved in and both airbags went off, but we walked away - my wife has a broken arm, probably from the airbag deployment. Overall though, the Nox protected us quite well. One of our considerations when buying was the 5-star safety ratings.

The Nox only had 2000 miles, but it looks like it will be totaled, although it's not 100% settled. We didn't see the quality problems a lot of the postings describe, so probably we'll get another one.
  • Options
    My buddy is considering a NOX (as well as a CRV and a Escape). Are people generally getting about 20 mpg combined? He is a little worried about the mileage but like the look and drive of the NOX the best.

I see NOXs everywhere now, they must be selling very well. That said, I live an hour from the plant so it could just be in this area.

;-)
  • Options
    Wow sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience. I'd say that being hit head on is the one thing I fear the most about driving. Hope your wife makes an easy recover and you guys can get your Nox replace vice repaired.
  • Options
    Yes, ouch!

Glad you are ok. :sick:
  • Options
    Today I checked out a 'Nox. A very nice SUV, but I could not help but notice what a huge blind spot the A pillar is. I did not drive one, but would like to hear from some of the owners. What do you think? I do know that some people on this thread have complained about rear visibilty. Anyway just would like to know. Thanks
  • Options
    reedreed Member Posts: 11
    What happened to the Equinox Problems segment? There are all sorts of problems but now I can't find it under Chevy Equinox. I posted a question under the Equinox problems & solutions yesterday which asked, "On AOL Best Vehicles, how could Edmunds say the Equinox was one of the best SUV's with this many problems?" and I try to look at the site this afternoon and I can't locate it. What happened?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Should be here still in the Chevrolet Equinox Problems and Solutions discussion. Here's the direct link to your post:

reed, "Chevrolet Equinox Problems and Solutions" #387, 16 Apr 2005 9:45 am

Let me know if it's not showing up for you so we can look into it. Or you may need to clear your cookies. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    finiquefinique Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an Equinox with all the options available on it October 1, 2004. I loved it the first time I did a test drive. I can't say enough good things about the vehicle, I now have put about 4,500 miles on it, Short distances the milage ranges from 20 to 23 mpg. A friend of mine has an Equinox, recently drove 914 miles, She got 30 MPG. I think the way you drive has a lot to do with the milage. For the money The Chevrolet Equinox is one of the Best Values in the automobile market.
  • Options
    heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    Just bought a Nox for the wife. Got the white, LT FWD, 1sd, moonroof, 6 disc changer. Sticker 25140, GM Friends & Fam discount 22652, plus 1500 tax, less 1500 rebates. Out the door 22600. I was impressed with the nice ride and decent pickup. Not too crazy about the blind spots, but I think since we have no kids yet, I will just take out the rear headrests. Quick and easy fix. Picking it up next Monday.
  • Options
    30 mpg? Wow, she must have been driving with the wind. Who knows, anything is possible I guess.
  • Options
    ryleesmommyryleesmommy Member Posts: 1
    Just left the dealership for my FIRST oil change... they did the usual checking of all systems, coolants, and such. Service guy about PASSED OUT when he pulled the cap off the radiator and the coolant bottle. THE SMELL WAS HORRIBLE!!! Seems the FACTORY in all it's glory used the wrong additive when putting fluids in the Equinox's cooling system. CALL YOUR DEALER and HAVE THEM FLUSH IT!!! Chevy is putting bulletins out to all dealers now about it. THEY WILL HAVE TO FLUSH IT AT THE COST OF CHEVY!!! Do not let them dupe you into "it's your fault"... Gas mileage issues... I have 'em. 200 miles to a full tank of gas.. I do 400 miles a week at the least... seems kinda weird for a smaller car to not have a higher gas mileage.. any advice on how to fix this problem???
  • Options
    If the smell your service guy encountered was the cause of the symptoms mentioned in a TSB GM issued a few months ago then flushing the system will NOT cure the problem and it WILL RETURN.

If your service guy does his job correctly, he'll find that he needs to replace all the contaminated hoses before the problem goes away.

You should have them check it, and yes it is covered by warranty.
  • Options
    Equinox:
    Deletions
    Medium Meander Green

New Features
    Bermuda Green Metallic (36U)
    Black Amethyst Metallic (71U)
    New EZ Spec Packaging for streamlined ordering and inventory management
    Optional heated cloth seats on LT
    Upgraded LS and LT exterior appearance including standard body-color fascia on LS and standard body-color outside rearview mirrors on LT
    (ATY) Rear seat delete, available on all equipment groups
    (APL) Seat delete, passenger side, available on all equipment groups
    Click on the blue links to change image
  • Options
    Don't forget the engine.

The world's getting smaller....

The Inside Story (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    barry22barry22 Member Posts: 3
    Hi finique,
    Well said. I love mine too. By the way, the way you drive has EVERYTHING to do with gas mileage. I am not getting 30 but I am getting in the low 20's. I do start and stop faster than you average granny though. Good luck with your NOX.
  • Options
    You are right. China is a huge threat to all industry in North American and the auto industry is no different. I hope the UAW sees that and realizes their jobs are at risk if they are not more flexible going forward. It's started with the Aveo from Korea, but I can see more and more cars and truck from the Big 3 coming from the far east if things don't change.
  • Options
    tarmentarmen Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,
    Just to give everyone a heads up on the TSB concerning the Equinox coolant issue. The TSB can be seen at

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/index-issue.html

and click on "Cooling System - Underhood Coolant Odor"
    (Wed, Dec 15, 2004 Wed, Feb 9, 2005 04-06-02-010)

Hope this helps. I just took my Equinox to get it's first oil change yesterday, and was told that the coolant "looked black", and required a flush. The TSB states that "the discoloration of the coolant is normal and not related to odor. It is the result of sealant pellets that are added to the system during production. DO NOT add sealant pellets when performing this repair".
    Anyone out there might want to inform their Mr. Goodwrench that the coloration is "normal", since obviously they don't read the TSBs. Thank goodness for the internet!

Later!
  • Options
    Very good info. Is there any way to view on specific model, not just GM as a whole?
  • Options
    tarmentarmen Member Posts: 6
    I have not been able to locate a free site that allows for a search on a per vehicle model for TSBs. I did notice that alldata.com has a yearly subscription service for TSBs if you want to shell out the green.

Later
  • Options
    The issue date of this TSB "Odor from Underhood, Coolant Odor" is dated Dec. 15, 2004.
    Does that mean GM has updated thier assembly line by the time this TSB comes out?

Do Equinoxes, built after Dec 15, have the new hoses?
  • Options
    finiquefinique Member Posts: 2
    That is why we have Side View Mirrors..
  • Options
    Yes, I do use my side mirrors very often in my car. I was just asking about the A pillar visibilty. In my car sometimes the A pillar can be a hindrance, is it that bad in the Equinox? I noticed when I looked at them up close that the A pillars were a little larger than similar SUV's including the VUE. Anyway thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    dp1960dp1960 Member Posts: 1
    It feels like a have a window open in my equinox when I am on the highway. I mentioned this to the service tech. and he told me I was the second complaint he had that week. He also stated it was not a window problem but a mirror problem. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
  • Options
    Actually I did notice the same thing. It isnt to the point where it is too loud or really bothersome, and I just figured it was because a truck is less aerodynamic than the car I'm used to driving. The sound did seem like it was coming from around the mirrors though.

Did the dealer do anything to fix it?
  • Options
    duxfanduxfan Member Posts: 2
    I just went to the dealer and test drove a AWD LT with an MSRP of 29,690. He gave me a lease quote of 1426 down and 432 a month for 36 months with 15K miles per year. Sounds high can anyone on here give me some guidance on this one. I live in the Northeast. Thanks,

Scott
  • Options
    waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    Vanman1, thanks for the new color changes for 2006. My Father and I have gotten our heads together and we have decided that our backs and knees need a higher vehicle. He rode in a friends new red Vue and was happy with his easy in and easy out. We both like a beautiful green color that rich enough to dip your finger into. Is this Bermuda Green Metallic 36U any where close to beautiful ;) ? P.S.: my first post to Edmunds vaiting.... :shades:
  • Options
    ralphralph Member Posts: 2
    Both the price of the car and the payment price is kinda high. If you're used to buying a car every 2 or 3 years and can keep the mileage to 15k a year then a lease, an open ended lease, is ok. Check around for better prices starting next month, and look at all your financing options. I bought an Avalanche the last day of June last year and saved 8k. I also got my own financing.
  • Options
    big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    The wife and I test drove an 05 Equinox today, and overall, I felt that the vehicle was OK. The engine seemed a bit unenthusiastic (compared to the 3800 in our GP), and most of all, I was really unhappy with the headrests on the front seats. Does anyone else feel like the headrests are shoving your head too far forward, or am I just being a paranoid-new-car-test-driving-guy? Comments from owners on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    We purchased our LT Nox with Leather interior, and we find the seats comfortable and headrests are none intrusive.
    It's probably more a personal comfort level to each individual.
    I will adjust the headrest close to my head just for reassurance, in case I'm rear ended and also for layback support. My wife is 5' 3" and I'm 5' 11". My wife love the seats because they don't cut off the circulation under her legs.
  • Options
    mdorseymdorsey Member Posts: 1
    We are going to travel to Alaska with our new 2005 Nox, likely on some fairly rough roads, many articles state to travel with a full size spare tire. Will a full size tire and wheel fit in the spare compartment? Are there any other options or accessories that I should consider? Would appreciate any information on this.
  • Options
    Get one of these:

The Milepost

I think a spacesaver will get you to a tire shop on most of the Alaska Highway although there are always a few sections under major repair that are hard on vehicles and tires. A full size spare would be nice if you take a sidetrip to Inuvik or Skagway.

Oh, it's supposed to be a bad summer for mosquitos, so don't forget the bug spray or a bug jacket/head net.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    :D My father and I brought home MY Laser Blue 2005 Equinox LT with ABS & Traction Control, SIAB, lt gray interior, AND a sunroof. My father now has a three-finger space between his head and the roof frame when he gets in the passenger side. With this GM Employee Discount for Everyone incentive, I wasn't sure if we would even be able to bring home a `Nox or if we'd be forced to go across the county line for a Saturn VUE.

My late vehicle, a used 1996 Geo Metro lsi Coupe hatchback's on its way to the big car crusher in the Sky.

What's so neat's how cars that swerve into or pretend that my car/skateboard's invisible made sure they were well on their side of the double yellow line. HE! HE!

Now; if I can just keep my foot out of the throttle. Did I say I was having lots of fun? My knees have not complained once since "Blue Boy" became my truck ;)

Not vaiting anymore!