Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• Options
    glohanglohan Member Posts: 5
    I have had so many problems with my Equinox. I am wondering if anyone else has had multiple problems not just one? It seems that as soon as I go in and have one thing fixed or replaced that something else goes wrong. I am getting very frustrated and I am terrified about keeping this truck after the warranty runs out. If i had to pay for all of these things my wallet would be empty. Has anyone else had multiple problems?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Exactly what kinds of problems have you had?

tidester, host
  • Options
    carsntruckscarsntrucks Member Posts: 22
    I have had mine since April. Longer than anyone on the board. I feel guilty in saying that I haven't taken it in for anything yet. When is the first oil change supposed to be?

I did have a problem yesterday. When my wife got back from the car wash, water was leaking out the front interior lights. Any ideas, anyone? I was thinking maybe the Onstar antenna was leaking since it is right above it. Of course the sunroof would be a likely candidate but it seemed to be dry.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I was comparing the Equinox to the Colorado crew cab (looking primarily for a people hauler, but occasionally need to haul something bulky/dirty). When looking at towing capacity, it seems the Equinox stands up pretty well to the 5-cylinder Colorado; the Nox can tow 3,500 lbs, vs. the Colodaro @ 4,000. However, the Colorado literature is very specific about how if you're towing more than 1,000 lbs that your trailer should have an auxilliary brake system of it's own, and goes into a lot of detail about tongue weights and such. But I haven't found any further details on the Nox to see if it likewise requires trailer brakes for weights over 1,000 lbs (I did find some info on tounge weight on the Chevy site, though).

Any of you owners have any ideas about additional towing restrictions for the Nox?
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    "I have had mine since April. Longer than anyone on the board. I feel guilty in saying that I haven't taken it in for anything yet. When is the first oil change supposed to be?"

You are the reason I am afraid to buy a used vehicle.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help on that, rbb2. Real good having you here!

The reason I said I felt guilty was because I haven't had the problems some others on the board have had.

The owner's manual states: "Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. . . It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year . . ."

I'm guessing that might have been a more polite and certainly more informed answer.

Anyone had any leaks from the Onstar antennae?
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    I guess I'm old school. I change the oil after the first 1000 miles and every 5000 after that ignoring the oil monitor. I don't trust it. It may be valid but if I calculate my own gas mileage and compare it against what my car is saying I'm getting I always end up w/ a lower number. So that leads me to question the oil monitor. That may not be a valid comparison but I feel better changing it myself every 5000 miles and not waiting for the light to come on.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Many makes are either going to longer intervals or monitors. Some Benz models don't even have dipsticks.
  • Options
    luvmyequinoxluvmyequinox Member Posts: 12
    What is the best gas mileage that everyone gets with their Equinox. I have 600 miles but am only getting 18mpg at best.
  • Options
    jde5jde5 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,

The 'old' hoses on my equinox finally were replaced earlier today. Here are the part numbers of the hoses & coolants used:

15281801 Hose

15281796 Hose

15281788 Hose

15281792 Hose

15281793 Hose

10953464 Coolant

10953031 Coolant

Also, in the job description, the tech followed instructions according to bulletin #04-06-02-010, document ID #1578082

Can somebody please confirm that these numbers are correct?

Note that I'm from Canada. I'm not even sure if the bulletin reports here are the same in the U.S.

Just want to have some peace of mind, I guess. I've been bothered by the foul odor issue for a while now I don't want to get the smell back.

Thanks!
  • Options
    buzzmanbuzzman Member Posts: 3
    Hubby and I purchased a white 2005 Nox in November. So far, we love it. Has 4 silver pinstripes on it. Really looks sharp. Does anyone know how to adjust the bass on the radio and make it stay there. Every time we get in the vehicle we have to adjust it.
  • Options
    caddygirlcaddygirl Member Posts: 1
    I can't wait to get rid of this Equinox. Trading in my beautiful, mint '93 Eldorado w/84K miles on it for this box was a big mistake. Coolant is already brown after 3 1/2 mos.; windshield washer fluid container leaks and dealer gave some b/s reason which made no sense whatsoever. The turning ratio stinks; you can't see out the rear and the dashboard controls are lousy. I've got the LS AWD - my husband's 91 GMC Jimmy rides much better, feels safer and gets better gas mileage than this box. So sorry the dealer suckered us into this one - I want my Eldorado back!!!!!!!!!!!! Take this box and shove it!
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear that you don't like your Equinox. I love mine. I guess it boils down to ones preferences. I hope you find the vehicle you will be happy with.
  • Options
    wino666wino666 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying an Equinox because I'm looking for a small to mid-sized SUV. I now have a bakc problem and I wanted something that was easier to get into. The Nox seemed to be the most comformable that I've tried. I've looked at Ford Escape (uncomfortabler seats), Mercury Marinier (uncomfortable seats), Mazda Tribute (seems OK still in the running), Honda CRv (too small), Toyota Rav 4 (too small), Mitsu Endeavor (passenger seat without enough room - my wife has to sleeep comfortably while I drive!). So far I hear about stinky coolent and bad gas mileage on the Equinox. Questions: 1) are the new vehicles coming with the replacement coolent hoses and coolent to eliminate the stinky coolent? 2) Any further news on gas mileage?

If these things get 17-18 mph I could just as soon buy a larger V6 SUV and get the same gas mileage?
  • Options
    equinoxinmindequinoxinmind Member Posts: 2
    I've been eyeing the equinox for quite some time now and am ready for the jump. Should I lay down my hard earned green for it? Give me the good and the bad. I thank you all in advance for your opinions, help and honesty!!!!
  • Options
    equinoxinmindequinoxinmind Member Posts: 2
    Great questions...I'm in the same boat. If anything, maybe we can bring some of these "complaints" and also find the legal document on the TSB Bulletin to the dealer and get the hoses & struts changed before purchase.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    caddygirl : Did you not test the NOX before you bought it? Some of you issues with the truck (turning radius, dash, visibility ect.) should have been obvious right away?

wino666 : We have a 3.4L in our Montana and the mileage is only so so right now but in the summer and fall it was fine. Keep in mind mileage always goes down in the cold, the colder the worse it is.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Why don't you drive a Ford Freestyle? I was set for an Equinox (especially with my GM card rebate), but after driving the Freestyle, I couldn't do it. The Freestyle has better seats, handles and steers better, and its interior seems less cheap. I have no complaints about the Equinox powertrain. The Ford has a cvt transmission which takes getting used to, but overall, it's a much more refined vehicle. If you really don't need awd, don't buy it.
  • Options
    Freestyle is a bit more expensive though and it's essentially a station wagon. I also don't trust CVTs. My brother in law bought a Pacifica because of that reason alone.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to set the bass on the radio and have it stay the way you set it and not have to set it every time you start the vehicle?
  • Options
    kbryant888kbryant888 Member Posts: 6
    I finally made it to the dealership to test drive one of these bad boys and I just fell in love with them. I could really use some help with the price negotiating. I want the AWD Nox LT. I had the car salesman look up some pricing for me.

For the Nox AWD LT w/ Sunroof, 17" wheels, premium sound and six disc changer, Onstar and leather trim, the MSRP was $28,745.

For everything above plus Side Head Curtain Air Bags, XM, and Trailering Luggage the MSRP was $29,940.

Can you help me get started as far as the negotiating process?

Other info needed:

- I will be putting down a $5000-7000 down payment.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the basics:

10 Steps to Buying a New Car (more under the Tips & Advice link above).

Check out Chevrolet Equinox: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too.

Don't miss Confessions of a Car Salesman either!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    purpleeaglepurpleeagle Member Posts: 5
    I plan on buying an Equinox any time now. The incentive rebate is staying at $1000. Any opinions if it will ever go higher or am I waiting for nothing.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in this discussion: Chevrolet Equinox: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

tidester, host
  • Options
    jrestjrest Member Posts: 26
    I finally got the stink problem resolved with the changes of the hoses and all which took a long time because the dealer never heard of the TSB. Luckily I jotted it down from someone on here.

Now, my cd/mp3 player doesn't work. It keeps saying "CHECK DISC". It won't play regular cds, it won't play mp3 cds. I've tried 20 different ones and all say "CHECK DISC" Dealer said they would have to replace it with a new one since these stereos are new. Since these stereo's are new, they had to take the number off of it and order another one. That was 3 weeks ago and still no word as tdealer tells me they are on backorder. Any suggestions? Can I call someone from the Detroit hub? I'm really frustrated with these problems.
  • Options
    I had some of the numbers come off the face of the stereo on our old Alero. They had a 3rd party stereo service dealer come in and replace it 2 days after I reported it. Perhaps the Equinox has a less common unit though. I have had parts take over 3 weeks to come in. Seems rediculous in 2004, such is life.
  • Options
    noxbummernoxbummer Member Posts: 1
    i bought an equanox april of 04 my gas milage has been as low as 14 mpg in the country 17 to 20.5 on the highway thats without the ac running and 2 passengers driving 65 to 70 with the cruise control set. if i had to do it all over a gain i would not buy the nox. the body style is the only thing going for it. i think chevy did a really poor job with this vehicle considering what comes standard on all the other models.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're getting about the same mileage as me. Out of curiosity, do you have FWD or AWD? I get 19 - 20 on the highway with my full-size Ford Expedition. The Equinox is nice, but I could have a lot more cargo room with about the same gas mileage in almost anything bigger.
  • Options
    glohanglohan Member Posts: 5
    You are either so lucky or I am so unlucky because I have had nothing but problems. It is made worse because the dealer service dept wants to argue about everything I mention. They try to make me wait for an appointment that is 4 weeks away because they don't think the problems are a priority. This car has made me so mad.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    For those of you having various problems with your Equinox, I thought I'd offer a suggestion.

When the 2000 Impala first came out, several issues developed early on (including intermediate steering shaft problems, aluminium engine cradle problems, etc.). One of the things we did on this forum was ask people to submit the last 7 digits of their VIN numbers (as well as other pertinent info like engine size and such), and we'd post the list periodically. This gave us a sequential list of vehicles and the problems each had experienced, so we could see if a pattern developed - eventually we had a pretty idea of when a certain issue had been dealt with, and could advise folks when looking for an Impala to try to get one with a VIN beyond a certain number.

The information proved useful to us for the 2000 and early 2001 models; by that point things were pretty much ironed out on that particular car.

Don't know if there's anyone here that would want to take on the task of collecting/posting this info, and you'd have to figure out what were the important factors (i.e. FWD vs AWD, sunroof or not for leaks, etc.). Seems like we also listed a person's Edmunds ID along with the other info.
  • Options
    luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased my New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31, came right off the truck, still with the wrappers. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After 600 miles and about 1 month I am happy to report no problems. I looked it over, top and bottom, and was impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. My wife loves it. I've driven it in the rain and snow and have no leaks any where. No abnormal noise. Antifreeze is still a nice looking light red, and no odor. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Wife and I luv the vehicle and its universal features. I believe GM finally has the Nox quality under control.
  • Options
    Buying early builds is always a risk no matter the brand. This is an all new vehicle which makes it even worse.
  • Options
    Statements like yours without facts confuse people. The Nox has been out for about a year. The Equinox's 3.4-liter V6 (reliable)engine has been used in plenty of GM products and been around for 10yrs. Equinox chassis is the same one as the Saturn Vue which was introduce in 2002. (Read Edmunds reviews).
    "What makes it even better" Equinox problems are much less than the 2004-05 Lexus RX330. Brake Failures and Transmission problems are occurring. Equinox problems are also much less than the 2003-04 Nisson Murano's CVT transmission problems and leaks. Power steering problems. Oh, by the way, if the Murano's alternator fails, it will leave you stranded. It's been a common occurence. Most vehicles will get you to a safe location with a failed alternator. Check it out, it's all posted at the NHTSA web site, complaints and recalls. www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Now, I am glad that I did not buy a Lexus RX330 or Murano.
    Luv my Nox
  • Options
    ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Can't refute this. The RX330 and the Murano are both quite pricey too when fully loaded--so that would make me even more upset if I had a problematic one. My Lexus, not an RX330, has been 100% flawless since I purchased it new in Sept. of 2002. But I am well aware that ALL automobile manufacturers can produce lemons. Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles are NOT all bulletproof just because they're expensive. In fact, MB quality has dropped off dramatically over the course of the last few years. It is well documented. Cars, pickup trucks and SUVs are very complex pieces of machinery these days--especially when you consider how much electronic and/or computer content is included in many models. To be honest with you, I am surprised that they function as well as they do on average.

I am going to hold off for a while longer on a possible Equinox purchase. It still appears that the Nox is a good value when compared to the pricier RX330 and Murano, but I just want to wait and see how much longer it will be before we read more and more positive feedback from owners here.
    There's no doubt that I find the vehicle interesting or I wouldn't be monitoring this forum on a regular basis.

By the way, I am very, very happy for the folks who have had good luck with their Noxes thus far. That's great news! To the contrary, I hate to hear that so many other folks have been experiencing myriad problems with their Noxes. This is very disappointing to read about--because the Nox seems to have so much potential for greatness. Please keep us wannabe Nox owners informed about this SUV!

Ron M.
  • Options
    The RX has some pretty high tech gadgetry going on such as the swivelling headlights and such. The CVT transmision on the Murano is still some pretty fancy equipment when combined with the larger displacement engines.

There is nothing "all new" about the Equinox. It's a Vue with a decades old engine. All the other parts are off the shelf. The NOX should have come out of the box near perfect if you are gonna compare it to cars that use up-to-date technology.
  • Options
    There is nothing "all new" about brakes, power steering, and alternators, The RX330 and the Murano are having problems with "basic vehicle equipment"! And what good is a CVT transmission, if it doesn't work right?
  • Options
    But comparing a carryover vehicle to one that has shown real ambition by trying something "new" isn't really fair. There shouldn't be any problems with old tech. I remember GM introduced a CVT in the VUE and ended up dropping it from so many problems.

I wouldn't buy a CVT from anyone. I don't believe they have the kinks worked out yet.

The Murano and RX are still redesigned vehicles with up to date technology. CVT, hybrid, automatic cruise etc. The NOX is a VUE is a [insert name from next GM familiy vehicle built ion this chassis].
  • Options
    hatechevyhatechevy Member Posts: 5
    I took a leap of faith and purchased the Equinox last year. Within a month, I started to experience a knocking/rubbing sound in the right front end...struts needed to be replaced. I have stereo controls on my steering wheel that have stopped working 3 times. My driver side window became sluggish when lowering after rain. My car battery has died twice. It currently is in the shop as they cannot find what is draining the battery. The last time it died, I was in my parking garage at work. I was told by roadside assistance that if I couldn't get my car jump started, I'd have to push it out of the garage to get it towed. I was on the third level... wasn't going to happen. Fortunately after 20 minutes of charging the battery it started. I am sadly dissapointed in this car. It has been in the shop more times in 10 months than my previous Japanese car was in 3 1/2 years and that is including routine service. The classic was when I called the dealership to complain, I was told "what do you expect with a first year model"... excuse me, I didn't get a discount because I purchased a first year model. I will NEVER buy another GM product again!
  • Options
    jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    Sounds like you bought one of the first ones out.
    My Equinox is new and currently has a 1000 miles on it. So far no problems.
    Good thing you didn't pay $40,000 for one of those Lexus RX330 or Nissan Murano vehicles. From what I've read they have drivetrain, brake, and steering problems!
    You might want to try a different dealer for service. Wish you luck.
  • Options
    While I sympathize with your problems, buying a first year car always carries risk. Our neighbor has a 1st year Nissan Quest he will gladly trade you for your NOX I'm sure.

That said, your dealer sounds to have serious customer service problems if they said what you claim.
  • Options
    Sorry couldn't resist myself, since everyone is in a "Hating" mood.
    By the way that Murano is one Butt Ugly vehicle!!
  • Options
    hatechevyhatechevy Member Posts: 5
    An update on my Equinox. I contacted GM directly seeking assistance in getting my issues resolved. The dealership had not updated any of my repair history into their system (interesting). When GM called the dealership, they were told they needed to order a part. When I called I was told they couldn't find what was draining the battery. Later in the day, GM called them again and was told that I had probably left a light on in the car. When I called after, I was told that the OnStar took 10 minutes to power down after the car had been shut off and that was what was draining the battery. My contact at GM has been extremely helpful... I'm afraid my dealerhsip is a bit shady...
  • Options
    MotorWeek's Nox long term is 20 miles per gallon after 4200 miles of mixed driving.

I'm currently seeing 19 mpg after a 1000 miles.
    So far no problems.
    Nox on wood.
  • Options
    wisnickwisnick Member Posts: 1
    My parents and I both bought an Equinox about a week apart. My check engine light has come on 3 times over the last 5 months. I also told the dealership about it and had them run a computer scan which did not turn up any problems. I also got the fuel cap explanation which didn't make sense since I am also careful when I put the cap back on. My parents have had the same problem and think it has something to do with when the car starts. If the key is held for too long or short and the start is a little "rougher" than normal they have seen the light come on. It's just a guess, but it's the best explanation so far.
  • Options
    If your Check Engine Light comes on, try a different brand of gas. It may take up to 150 miles before the light resets.(An EPA thing!)
    Poor grade gasoline effects your emissions and will cause your Check Engine Light to come on.
    This is true with all newer vehicles, foreign and domestic, due to stricter emission standards.
    Poor gas will also cause deposits and clog fuel injectors.
    Check out this link for high quality Gasoline Retailers: http://www.toptiergas.com
  • Options
    cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    Considering purchase of '05 Equinox LT. Live in S. California where rain slick highways of concern {very rare to travel to snow/ice in local hills}. Is the extra expense for AWD warranted for me over the FWD/traction control system on the LT model?
  • Options
    cokekillercokekiller Member Posts: 3
    Our Equinox is a few months old. Love it so far and almost no problems. Only thing is that rear/blind spot visability needs to be improved.

My wife's key were stolen. I was able to purchase a new keyless entry fob on eBay. Does anyone know how to program it. This will save me a trip and $50 at the dealership...

I had two new keys made at Home Depot. They match exactly but neither will turn on the ignition? Any tips/suggestions as to why this is. Do I have to go to the dealer for a new ignition key???

Thanks!
  • Options
    bryansbryans Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Nox June 1st of last year.

So far I've had it in for:

New Struts
    New Windshield
    Door Chiming wont stop (x2)
    Clunking noise in the rear on cold start up (x2)
    Coolant freezing into a solid block of ice.
    Bad wheel speed sensor.

This week I'm going in again to address several issues:
    -Every lcd light on my cd player was lit up like a christmas tree
    -Door Chiming still wont stop when i stop the car
    -Clunking noise on start up
    -And my coolant is turned a nice brown again.
  • Options
    navydude86navydude86 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my Nox at the end of July. After searching for a Blue Nox with OnStar was a futile effort. Couldn't find it. So i had to just get it without the Onstar, to find out later OnStar has to be factory installed. Also the MP3/CD player in the same color was for NOT. Not to mention that you gotta pay extra for the blue paint job!! But I love the color and get OODLES of compliments.
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Wow, sorry to hear your NOX has been giving you so many problems.

I would think that after all this you'd be able to declare the thing a lemon ....... have you checked your states laws to see if you can get any relief that way?