Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

clutch vibration

maf03maf03 Member Posts: 4
Hello!

I am experiencing a terrible problem frequently when shifting from first to second. I am calling it vibration for lack of a better word....I am an experienced (13 + years) shifter and can't recall the shuddering with my old Ford Probe. I am afraid I am harming the car. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So you don't get this vibration when starting out in first? Or 2-3 shift?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    it is odd for it to be just that one shift, and not engaging the other gears. Subies have clutches that tend to chatter a bit when first engaged, particularly when cold, and mostly when engaging first gear.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    This condition sometimes is an indication of a worn friction disk, and/or a worn pressure plate. Throw out bearings can also cause shifting aggravations when they're not in good condition.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    of Subies, many like mine do it a little even from when they are brand new.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    maf03maf03 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all who responded.
    It only happens shifting from first to 2nd.
    The car has only 6700 miles on it so it can't be that something clutch related has worn out. Although, to my great disappointment, the rotars were warped after 3500 miles!
    When I have my next service, I will have the dealer look at the clutch.
  • Options
    fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Good luck, and let us know what comes of it.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ask them to check the synchros. There was a TSB about the first gear synchro problem, though that was on the '98 models.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.