Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• Options
    slam2slam2 Member Posts: 23
    I've been told that the 1K is still available and the price I've been able to get is 2% over invoice and thats been across the midwest and east coast. Mine is ordered and I'm curious as to how long it will take to get it. I ordered one with everything minus the AWD (All Wheel Drive).
  • Options
    houstontexanhoustontexan Member Posts: 6
    I got an email back from a local dealer today (Monday) telling me they had the SE available at $100 over our invoice less the current rebate of $1,000 if I finance with Chrysler. So, yes, the 1K is still available.

Anyone know much about the Chysler finance rates? He told me they offered NO finance specials on the Magnum.
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    I'm glad you got what you wanted in your vehicle. May you enjoy it for many years to come. I just checked the Kelly Blue Book on this vehicle. It looks like you got a pretty decent deal. I ordered a mineral gray rt. There are a couple of options I didn't get either. Mine hasn't come in yet. These things have really jumped up in value. The sxts are not hard to get from the dealer. I can always get one of those at any moment. The RT seems a bit more challenging to obtain from a dealership. Three different dealerships told me they should have some in a couple of weeks. It will be a little challenging to get a good price on this vehicle. The salesman will probably give me his or her speech about how the vehicle is in high demand and low supply. This will allow him to say if I don't buy it then somebody else will probably buy the vehicle. It's nice to see such a good report on the magnum. I think you can purchased the vehicle as a Sam's club member at a much better deal. Good old fashion research can definitely save a lot of money and headache.
  • Options
    I'm hoping today I can hear an estimated date of delivery on my RT. I've had a hard time deciding on the color but we went with black. It should look cool in that color. As for getting the price you want, look within 500 miles of where you are. I found a dealer that was willing to deliver one 800 miles and the only added cost above that 2% over invoice I talked about was the price of a return flight.

Good luck.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Finally got to drive an SXT yesterday.... I want it!!

Cool Vanilla with the light leather as the only option. Stereo sounded good - I'm no audiophile -
    so I wouldn't upgrade the speakers. The 3.5 performed better than I imagined and I see no need - for myself - for the Hemi.

The first thing I that struck me as I sat behind the wheel was seeing all that hood in front of me! Last car I owned that I knew where the front end was was my 77 Chrysler New Yorker! Today's FWD cars the sheet metal slopes down out of your way and leaves you guessing whether you'll actually clear that car next to you in the mall lot.

Quiet, smooth and a lot of equipment standard in the series is what is selling me. My Olds Intrigue that I bought new in 98 had a lot of the same features standard and was a bargain for the price (although suffering from the GM lack of retained value!).

Soon.....very soon.....

Deke
  • Options
    johno11johno11 Member Posts: 5
    Greeting to all! Picked up my MAGnesium MAGnum on Saturday and yeah, it's got a Hemi! Amazing car, makes me giggle like a little kid. I got the $1000.00 cash from Chrysler. Wound up paying right at sticker. The power pedals (convienience group II) are worth the price. Not sure about Sirius yet, but $195.00 with free activation and a free years service is not bad. I look forward to comparing notes with other Magnum owners (especially RT)
  • Options
    dedicowboydedicowboy Member Posts: 1
    When I first learned of the concepts of this car I was excited to see what dodge would come out with. I sort of thought it could go either way. After it finally hit the market I could not wait to check it out (and hopefully get my hands on one), but stopped short and nearly passed out from misery when I heard of the multi displacement system. I think I remember this being done before (I think on late 80's Cadillac El Dorado? I am not sure...), but they had made the engine go from 2 cylinders to 4, to 6, to 8, and vice versa depending on what was needed from the engine for whatever driving circumstances. It sounds like a great idea, and if it had worked it might have been. The systems started failing and engines would not operate over 2 cylinders. It nearly crippled the company as tens of thousands of one of their more popular cars became worthless. (again, I'm not sure if this was cadillac... I may be mixing that up in my head but the rest of this is accurate) My question is, if someone is trying this thing again, how reliable were they able to make it. As much as I would like to get myself one of these cars, I would rather not get stuck with a 3000 somewhat pound car with a 4 cylinder engine. I have not seen a single thing anywhere addressing any kind of reliability nor have I been able to determine if the Multi Displacement system is covered by the basic or drivetrain warrenty. Does Anybody know anything about this.
  • Options
    Try to build your own SXT, and it adds a grand for the 3.5! I thought this was the standard engine for the model?

Maybe if someone from DC reads this they'll fix the "glitch"?

Also notice that the SXT with AWD gets the 5-speed auto with AutoStick. WOuld love that tranny on the RWD SXT.

Deke
  • Options
    wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Getting ready to order an RT, would like the severe cooling option as I'm in AZ. Has anyone experienced the ride with the Towing package and load leveling? ANy difference from the standard RT? Your comments will be very helpful, thanks
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    chrysler's MDS system is relatively simple and should be very reliable. however, reliability's still not a certainty this early in the game. but, the entire car is covered from bumper to bumper for 36 months or 3 years...and the powertrain (which would included the engine and MDS) is covered out to 7 years or 70k miles with a 100 buck deductible per visit.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You're right it was Cadillac that did this (notice how GM likes to screw-up things, like diesel engines??). Anyway, the Hemi was designed from day-one to have MDS and we've also overcome what was the biggest problem with the cadillac motor: technology. That old motor was trying to be run by analog computers which just couldn't cut-it. Today, the on-board computers can perform all the necessary calculations to make the system operate as designed. In addition, Dodge is not using a 6cyl mode because you can't make a 8 cylinder run properly on 6 cylinder (but four will work just fine, it's a balance act!). The Dodge system is also quite simple, in that a single pin controls pistons shutting down, everything else is computers controlling that pin.
  • Options
    craiginctcraiginct Member Posts: 2
    Thats a handy little website.

What does "has a Job #1" mean? That production is a go and there is no hold?

Thanks,

Craig
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The tow package is just now becoming available, so no one on this board should have a Magnum equipped with that option yet. It does also include the self leveling shocks, which are very important if you will ever actually tow or if you load up the car eveery once in a while.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

Not a glitch...the 3.5L in the SXT is actually a $1,000 requirement...all of the SXT's I have looked at have this $1,000 on the factory window sticker as an extra $1,000.

It is the "standard" engine, but is not included in the SXT's base price. Kind of crummy the way Dodge does that.
  • Options
    Kinda like ordering a new Corvette and paying extra for the standard LS2 V8! Funny, but I didn't recall seeing the added grand on the window sticker of the SXT I drove yesterday!

Also check out the $250 extra for the red pearl coat! When the Magnum was first added to the web site, all the metallic colors were tagged at $750 extra! That disappeared within a week or so. Talk about an error!

Deke
  • Options
    trippstertrippster Member Posts: 5
    I've got an RT (HEMI) on order and am curious if the MDS really delivers improved gas mileage? What are you RT Owners experiencing? Also, does it use 87 or 89 octance gas?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've got an RT (HEMI) on order and am curious if the MDS really delivers improved gas mileage? What are you RT Owners experiencing? Also, does it use 87 or 89 octance gas?

How would you ever know if it delivers improved mpg? It's a standard feature and can't be turned off, so......

It obviously has to save fuel, how much most likely depends on your driving style. I'll bet there are those with a very light foot around town that can manipulate this to achieve very good mpg. If they wanted to, lol!
  • Options
    kulkatkulkat Member Posts: 6
    Use 89 Octane. I guess the MDS is kicking in only when you drive it "normally" that is without racing anyone!
  • Options
    I think the system works. You're driving style has a lot to do with the gas mileage. It's impossible to get these numbers speeding towards every red light. Des anyone really have a reason to be speeding 85mph on the interstate? I don't know how anyone will ever get to drop the four cylinders with that style. 89 Octane is a good choice.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    but you can burn 87 octane with no problems...just won't get the advertised hp/torque...
  • Options
    enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    I'm up to 2900 miles on my RT so far (had it for 7 weeks and counting), and the mileage definitely depends on the driving style. Around town, I typically average 15mpg, all city driving. I just completed an 800 mile trek back to visit family and friends over the holiday weekend and was averaging about 22mpg on the highway, cruising at 70-80mph for the most part.
    I don't baby the accelerator, but I don't run every red light like it's a 1/4 mile track either. I like the feel of the good acceleration, but it's not always necessary, especially when I have the back fully loaded. (I just moved recently, and the Magnum was very convenient as a makeshift moving van. Lots more stylish too)
    Given that the EPA estimates are 17/24 for the car, I'm impressed that I get as close to these numbers as I do.
    As for fuel, I have been running premium (92-93 octane) for this initial period. The manual recommends midgrade (89), but the extra $1.50 at the pump doesn't bother me much. After my first oil change (need to schedule for sometime within the next few days) I'll give it a run with 89 to compare numbers to see if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I have always found it very distressing that folks think that they are doing their cars a favor by running higher octane fuel than the manufacturer calls for. Folks, if the manufacturer of your car recommends 89 octane, then do your car a favor and use 89, no more, no less.

- Fact, the higher the octane the fuel, the slower the flame front gets organized.
    - Fact, cars running 92/93 fuel with ignition timing optimized for 89 octane will simply experience "Peak Cylinder Pressures" (PCP) too late for maximum mechanical advantage (due to the longer time it takes for the flame front to get fully organized), essentially wasting some of the power of the fuel. Not only that, but the Exhaust Gas Temperatures will rise because a significant amount of the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens (due to the later timing of the PCP), causing potential valve seat and valve guide problems down the road.

I hope this helps folks understand that using the proper fuel (ie. the one recommended by the manufacturer of the engine) will be the best for the engine and the wallet in both the short term and the long term as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    trippstertrippster Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for info. Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. My RT has been delayed due to a shortage of Moon Roofs. It's nice to know someone is acutally getting close to EPA advertised numbers. I'v got a 2000 Dakota RT with a modified 5.9L V8 that has to run on 92 octane and I'm getting about 13.5 around town and 16 on the highway. I'm looking forward to some improved numbers without having to sacrifice performance when I want it. Thanks again.
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I am sold on the MDS allowing the Magnum to have a blend of great performance and decent fuel economy for a large vehicle. I have also read that the transition is fairly seemless.

I am just curious about sound quality and smoothness. Part of the reason I would be interested in getting a V8 is for the sound and smoothness as compared to a V6. How does she do in 4 cylinder mode?
  • Options
    johno11johno11 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my R/T since Saturday, and have found that the transition from 4 to 8 is indeed seamless, and the engine note doesn't seem to change much in 4 cylinder mode. The smoothness of the engine and package as a whole is what really sets this car apart.

Too early to tell about fuel economy so far, looks like 16 or 17 after taking my boss and co-workers on test drives!
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The extra $1000 is usually the last "option" on the sticker. It can be hard to see if you do not expect it to be there.

The sticker prices of the SXT models are getting a bit out of hand. I looked at a couple last weekend, and they were both in the $29-$30K range. That is a bit much considering one could get a 4x4 Durango for less money right now with incentives. The SXT's would sell better if the price would just stay in the $25-$26k range. The base Magnum they had (2.7L V6) was only $23K. That's not bad at all.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Member Posts: 2
    Hi Craig,

I ordered my RT AWD on July 27, 2004 and still am waiting. I have been receiving updates from a friend at DCX and so far my build date is scheduled next but my paint date is scheduled for 9/24/2004. According to my friend this may be due to the fact that they paint one color a week. Wouldn't ya know next week is not the week for the bright silver that I ordered. Good Luck! I have been waiting for 6 weeks now and feel that I am in the home stretch!

MK
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Test drove the Magnum SXT to take advantage of $75.00 test drive offer I received from Dodge in mail. Very impressed with the quality of the car. The latest designs from DCX seem to have finally reached the head of the class.
    If there are skeptics about the popularity of the Magnum and 300 I urge a test drive. They are worthy of consideration.
  • Options
    I checked with Dodge today and my Black Magnum RT is in it's final stages today. It is scheduled to be shipped tomorrow and we can't wait. I asked about the colors and which ones were being the most difficult to get and they told me the red ones are in high demand. The car is being built in Canada and they told me that they're painting multiple colors a day.

You folks who have your RTs, I'm glad for you and those of us who have them on order, we've got a lot to look forward to.

Those of you have and will purchase the SXT, I'm sure that car will have enough to compete with anything outside of a V8 on the road. I can't say much about the SE model.

Slam2
  • Options
    I spoke to a dealer.He said they would have more in a couple of weeks. I almost ordered a black one. But I went with a mineral gray on order. The silver and cool vanilla caught my eye. I have owned a black car and it is too much trouble to keep clean. I am in the country for the moment. Black is not a good color for dusty roads and dusty highways. I have read there's at least 68000 on order. I hope it lives up to the hype.It has a five star government crash rating. That should be excellent for low insurance quote.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    When will the AWD Magnums be out? I really want one and can wait just curious when the ETA on them is?

-mike
  • Options
    When I spoke to Dodge on Friday, they told me that there were restrictions on orders for the color red and the AWD Magnums. The restrictions are supposed to run through the end of this month. What that means is anyone's guess. Dod has a great group of customer service folks and I was pleased with their help. The person I talked to on Friday had an issue with his computer and actually went through the code book to list out the options on my order. Now thats going above and beyond. If you're waiting on an order, I'd recommend you using the dodge.com web site to get information.

Slam2
  • Options
    Nah i will likely buy next summer, but was curious when they'd hit dealers as I'd like to go test drive one and see how they handle compared to my AWD Subies. I'm an AWD guru and hopefully it'll handle at least as well as my turbo legacy.

-mike
  • Options
    I went back and forth on that feature. I just couldn't justify it for a trip or two to the beach. I'm sure it's a sweet setup based on what I've heard about the Mercedes setup. The only question I'd have is what does the AWD do to the gas milage and how much does it effect the performance of the engine.

Slam2
  • Options
    shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    This weeks' Automotive News has an interesting article regarding Magnum projected residual values as calculated by ALG (Automotive Leasing Guide- the "bible"). Chrysler apparently is upset about the very low residual numbers assigned by ALG.
         Believe it or not, ALG predicted a LOWER residual for the Magnum RT than the SXT. When queried about this seeming inconsistency, ALG explained that they expect the RT to depreciate faster than the SXT because the RT model is selling at or above sticker and the SXT is expected to be discounted currently. I happen to believe ALG is correct.
  • Options
    I went back and forth on that feature. I just couldn't justify it for a trip or two to the beach. I'm sure it's a sweet setup based on what I've heard about the Mercedes setup. The only question I'd have is what does the AWD do to the gas milage and how much does it effect the performance of the engine.

Yeah here in the NY/NJ area we get enough snow and what not to make the AWD worth it for me. I've become so accustomed to the AWD can't drive a car w/o it now, mash the pedal and go :)

Looking forward to it, if it sucks down too much power I can always Supercharge or turbo the motor :)

-mike
  • Options
    Well, I don't know who's right about the residual value. Are you saying it's better to buy an sxt because they are being currently discounted at this time? I am going to buy mine anyway. The sxts are not really selling that well anyway. These are really some hot looking vehicles. I went to a dealership saw some of the really nice colors. You would get your money worth by buying the Rt. The sxt would be a better deal for leasing.The RT would be much better for a straight buy.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Foureyes, ALG is a near-irrefutable guide in terms of residual value. If they say it, that's the way it is, like it or not. They will only make adjustments if a clear and substantial majority of the vehicle comes in higher.

Their premise is correct in historical terms. When the PT Cruiser was introduced, dealers could mark them up as high as they wanted and still have waiting lists. Now they're everywhere and have the same thousands in rebates as everything else. This causes the devaluation of the used ones, since a new one is less expensive. ALG is predicting a smilar thing will happen with the Magnum RT - as pople beg, borrow, and steal to get one, the exclusivity will quickly wear off and new ones will come down in price. That makes the used ones worth less than the original buyers expected.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • Options
    I always thought to PT Cruisers were stupid anyway. Hey, I did not say ALG was wrong in the first place.I was considering all the fleet sales of the sxts. They are being used for police vehicles and rental vehicles. Unless, I have big mechanical problems with the rt then I plan on keeping it anyway. I'm pretty sure I can get it $200 above invoice. There will probably be some rebates for this vehicle next year. Patience is the best way to buy one other than having steal, borrow, and beg. I like the car but it is not that serious.
  • Options
    always thought to PT Cruisers were stupid anyway. Hey, I did not say ALG was wrong in the first place.I was considering all the fleet sales of the sxts. They are being used for police vehicles and rental vehicles. Unless, I have big mechanical problems with the rt then I plan on keeping it anyway. I'm pretty sure I can get it $200 above invoice. There will probably be some rebates for this vehicle next year. Patience is the best way to buy one other than having steal, borrow, and beg. I like the car but it is not that serious.

That is my plan, next summer/fall picking up an '05 off a lot for a significant discount at or near invoice.

-mike
  • Options
    Well, I figured that the 2% I'm paying over invoice isn't a bad deal and then there is 1K back on the Magnum if you finance through Chrystler. After all that, I'll have an invoice of a little over 34K and pay right at 31.5K. That isn't all that bad. As for the Navigation system, I just have a hard time justifying $1800 for it. How much better can that system be rather than some of the hand held models today. You get about as much out of one of them. Just no voice on a speaker telling you made a wrong turn or something like that.

Slam2
  • Options
    Well it's not 1800. You get the Sat radio, and an upgraded stereo to boot. So it's probably more like $1500 or so.

Mostly the integration is what I'd be paying for if I got it. No wires running all over the car and having to tote out another piece of equipment.

-mike
  • Options
    Actually, I've read that the SE is the model used for rentals, etc., not the SXT. I'll get the SXT for the larger engine and more standard equipment.

Deke
  • Options
    I think it might be both. I'll check and see. I also read from one of the reviews someone rented an sxt. The sxt is as low as I would go for the magnum with more standard equipment. I saw one fully loaded for $29000. It cost almost as much as a standard equipped RT model. Are you going to specially order it or just go buy a dealership and purchase the best equipped one they have on the lot.
  • Options
    Well, I actually think that would a lot more economically. You only have one cord to the lighter. I have a laptop but I wouldn't hook up one to my laptop. Handheld are just as good and inexpensive. Why pay more for factory installed options when you can get it just as good and inexpensive out of computer store. Save the money and use it for your insurance.So, I definitely agree with you slam2.
  • Options
    You also have to deal with mounting, etc. I've gone both routes and for the $1K extra I personally rather have it built in... Just my lazieness :)

-mike
  • Options
    Idrove an SXT on Labor Day; it had only ope option - leather. I really didn;t want the hides, but I have to admit the seats were nice. I'd like to buy the one I drove, but I have to wait until my house is sold before I purchaee - cash deal.

Car was Cool Vanilla with the light grey hides. They had two silver ones - one with the dard leather, the other with dard cloth, both with moon roofs. No discernible loss of headroom with the roof, but how often would I be able to use that in Florida, really?

Sticker was $26300, which was reasonable - invoice about $1800 less, so I guess if I offer around $800 over invoice, plus my trade (about $3500), we're talking $20,500 or so plus TTT.

Deke
  • Options
    Garmin has a nag screen too IIRC.

Mostly it's the mounting + the wire that annoys the crap out of me. I'm real bad with stuff like that, loosing wires etc and I'm always in a rush, so I'd forget the GPS 9/10 of the time when I run out of the house. Also it's not 1/2 the price, cause the 1800 also includes and upgraded stereo to begin with IIRC. I might just get the pioneer unit that also has a DVD player though.

-mike
  • Options
    I really do like the moonroof feature. That's some really good math for your car payments. You probably make the salesman do a lot of back peddling in his or her numbers. Cool Vanilla is a pretty nice color. It's great for Florida. I really don't know about Mississippi. Hope you are watching the weather news. It might be best to stay away from Florida for a little while. Where do you get your invoice prices. I get mine from Kelly Blue Book, NADA, and Edmunds. I have read sometimes there are dealer holdbacks that allow them to sell the vehicles at less than invoice.Well, I hope the best for getting your house sold so you can enjoy your new ride. Don't forget your surf board.
  • Options
    Well, I understand that you prefer the convenience. Everybody has their own tastes. I hope you are happy with whichever one you choose for your car. It's your vehicle and you should be happy with the way that it has been equipped. I plan on getting a mineral gray rt with everything except the navigational system, tow package, sirius radio. Paisan, you think you might consider leasing because of all the residual value conversation or just buy it anyway and not think about it at all.