Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• shortiec1shortiec1 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get Chrysler to buy back your Magnum? Our 06 R/T is such a piece of crap. We tried hard to get it to fall under the lemon law, but didn't quite make it. We have had all of the problems listed on this forum. It goes in to the dealer every other month for a new problem or something that they didn't completely fix. My ESP/BAS light still comes on almost every time I drive the car. When this happens, it is harder to start the car and I have to keep the key turned longer. Dealership says they don't see any code to fix it, so we just have to deal with it. It has also just "died" in the past. On a 108 degree day last summer, we had our two week old baby in the car and the car shut off as we were driving down the road. Safe huh?! We have had transmission fluid leaks where they just replaced some O rings. Recently the whole cooling system was replaced after the check engine light came on. We have had numerous brake problems, now the rotors are warped and need replaced along with the pads and calipers. This was also done last year, and that time the dealership messed up when putting the brakes back on, because the next day as we were driving down the highway, the brakes literally fell off the car. Love my magnum, but hate it sooooooooo much more! :sick: Want to get rid of it, but hate for someone else to have these problems. If you could let me know what you sent to Chrysler, I would love to contact them as well. Thanks!
  • tekno1tekno1 Member Posts: 3
    The Magnum is being discontinued this year, so I am going to buy one that is on the new or used lot, or have one built, if it's not too late. My favorite color is Silver Steel, which is not in the '08 lineup. Other choices are Steel Blue, Inferno Red, or Black. I do a fair amount of traveling in the mountains of MD and PA in the winter, thus targeting an SXT AWD for gas mileage and traction. I saw some info on the Forum which indicated that the 3.5 can be hopped up. I also heard some concerns about handling characteristics of AWD. I need advice on all of these subjects. It's too bad that Chrysler tends to drop its unique cars as a response to ineffective marketing. The Magnum epitomized Chrysler's superior technology and progressive design. - Tekno1
  • budwbudw Member Posts: 11
    I HAVE 2005 SXT AWD .LIVE IN SPOKANE,WA. NO TROUBLE IN ICE OR SNOW. I WOULD BUY ONE AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. GREAT OVERALL CAR.
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO MARK THESE BOARDS SO YOU KNOW WHICH ONES I HAVE READ. THANKS SO MUCH. BUDW
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Are '08 Magnums still being built or has production ended. I see lots of new '07s for sale at dealerships but not one '08. Carsdirect only lists '07s as well.
    LETS PUT OUR BUILD DATE ON MESSAGES SO WE CAN NARROW DOWN BUILD DATE TROUBLES? :mad:
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    This reminds me. I have been meaning to find out how to determine the build date (I recently bought a N.O.S. 2006 Hemi).

Can I tell by the VIN?

Thanks.
    I have since discovered for myself how great the traction is. I can stop on an icy hill, and then just start up again. It is amazing (this with all-weather radials).

The only thing that I don't like about the car is the unbelievably bad gas mileage (see my other post).

(Speaking about traction, before the snow hit, I tried flooring the accelerator from a standing start on clean, dry pavement. I expected a little squeal, or perhaps a chirp. Not a sound from the tires. The hemi just revs up and the car jumps off of the line like a scalded cat).
    build date should be on drivers front door,inside about half way up door.
    10/05

So mine was one of the early 2006s.

I was a little uneasy re the age of the new car (27 miles on the clock). In addition to drygas, I added injector cleaner and gasoline stabilizer to the tank.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    If you look directly underneath my post you will see a link that says "Mark as read" click that. OR if you have several forums in your watched area once you read a post you can click back to "My watched items" and it will refresh your list removing the areas you already read in.
    IF YOU GET AWD YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. GREAT CAR. I HAVE 05 SXT- AWD AND GO WHERE EVER I WANT.
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON "MARK AS READ" BUT I DO NOT SEE THE SPOT UNDER YOUR POST TO SAVE. I WILL KEEP WATCHING. THANKS.
    Well, lol, someone posted before you came back so the mark as read link isn't directly beneath me now. Scroll all the way down, the link is at the very bottom of this page underneath the posts.
  • edwardredwardr Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 SXT AWD, new in June of 2005 (cost $31,500). Here is a list of the issues I've had with it. First, after only 30,000 miles, the factory Continental tires would not pass inspection.(why put these crappy tires on your flagship luxury sedan) Second, after numerous visits to the dealer, about intermittant problems with the rear power windows, the window regulator seized up. Just outside of the warranty.....what a coincidence. (and I have the other side to look forward to repairing now) When I asked the mechanic specifically about this issue, hed lied and said he had never experienced it before (even though there is CLEARLY a TBS about this issue) Third, the engine has been running rough for the last 27,000 miles and, of course, the dealer has been unable to diagnose or fix. They just perform the basic "shotgun" technique of plugs, wires, clean intake system, etc..... Fourth, I have had the transmission ROM flashed twice due to upgraded software. WHICH THE DEALER CHARGED ME FOR EACH TIME...... UNDER WARRANTY !!! I have a spec of rust just above the windshield in the front, and I'm notified that the factory 100,000 mile rust warranty ONLY covers rust in the lower panels, and only if it rusts all the way through..... WTF does it matter WHERE the rust is.....why even HAVE a warranty. Fifth, I have had the rotors cut twice in 6,000 miles. They give me some lame excuse about some new material being used which warps easier.... blah, blah, blah..... I have purchased 3 new Chrysler products in the last 6 years and spent over $70,000 of my hard earned money. This Magnum will be my LAST Chrysler product EVER!!!..... I'm reminded of a quote from the movie "Tommy Boy".... "You know why they have a guarantee, cause they know all they sold you was guaranteed piece of [non-permissible content removed]" :mad:
  • pianoman8849pianoman8849 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Can anyone tell me what the height of the cargo hold door is? I have boxes to move at times over 36 inches in height and am just curious if the Magnam wagon (as I call it) would allow me to get things into the cargo compartment. I don't think the length of them (about 4 ft) would be a problem.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong category here, but would appreciate a reply.

Thanks...

Rod
    You can always try the answers section too if you don't get any replies here.
  • joanedddjoaneddd Member Posts: 1
    new to boards...but I've had my 2005 Magnum thru 2 NE winters and have not had a problem...lots of fun in empty parking lots though...traction is great, handling is great and the car is so heavy i have not had any problems with slipping! :)
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • 2005maggie2005maggie Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 Cool Vanilla Magnum RT AWD fully loaded is now 2 months new to me (33k). I wanted the SRT but needed AWD for Massachusetts winters on route 2.I am overall happy with purchase but there are some things I consider cons to the car. I am less than impressed with the mid range and the lack of upper range top end power. Yes the car does make it to 130 and I am sure 150ish based on seeing video of this on You-tube. But the car has no power between 110-130.It just creeps after 110.I also find it has a momentary delay in response at certain speeds. This may be the trans not down shifting automatically. I have driven a 2007 300C and noticed the same delay.
    Fuel consumption while driving moderately is awful according to older EPA estimates. Very good while driving in breakdown lane creeping along. On board fuel estimator is incorrect all of the time.
    I tend to feel the steering is to loose for this rated car. It’s very easy to loose her at higher speeds. And overcorrection is a concern due to the looseness.
    There is an annoying rattle in the dash just behind the navigation screen that occurs on cold days until car is warmed up (5 minutes).I quess I wont hear that for a couple of months(summer).I originally thought the lack of performance was due to the weight of the car but after reviewing some numbers I find this is not fully the case. As stated in previous posts I don’t feel this car performs like a 340hp car. I have owned and driven many and I must say I am amazed so many are overly impressed with performance. Has any one driven another 340ish rated car with equal weight? Did you notice a difference compared to the two or three?

So these are my cons.
    There are more pros which let’s me state overall I’m happy with car. I guess when I have the need for some serious speed I will fire up the 68 Dodge Charger. By the way came with 335 hp stock. It is equal to 375 with mods.
  • skbbirdskbbird Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2008 rt and cant drive it 'cause of the terrible exaust smell. The dealer closed off the vents in the quarter panels, (It's been in three times), helped a little, I tightened up the rear door all the way but still smell exaust after letting off at hiway speeds. When I open the windows to flush out the smell it really gets bad 'cause all the exaust that builds up in the rear comes forward. I'm going to hook up to it with my 4x4 Firebird and deliver it back to the dealer on it's roof.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=binderbird#
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. I only notice the CAI on accelleration. No moaning otherwise. It is supposed to add 10bhp and 1mpg better gas mileage, but I can't verfiy those claims. It sounds GREAT!
  • magnumbelievermagnumbeliever Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know how to remove the navigation dvd so that an upgraded disc can be installed?

I owned a newly purchased 2005 Dodge Magnum R\T hemi and because of the model year (2005), I ordered and just received an upgrade navigaton disc, but with no instructions on how to remove the old one and install the upgrade.

Anyone with instruction or information on how I can do this?
  • pagetpaget Member Posts: 7
    below the screen is a long black plastic insert...the top left side of the insert hs a tab that you push down on with a small flat object then it pops off. afterwards there is an eject button on the right hand side, push it an the old disc comes out and you can put in the new disc
    Hey paget, it worked, thank you so much. With your instructions, it was very simple. I guess the dealers want you to come in to them so they can charge you "big" money. It only took about 5 minute for the upgrade to load once I changed out the disc. Once again, thank you very much :)
  • magnum10magnum10 Member Posts: 1
    If you haven't done this yet here is how you do it; When you go under the car there is going to be two covers one close to the bumper and one a bit further back, take off all the little screws that are on the cover close to the bumper and pull it down, you will then be able to get to the fog lights. I know you asks this a long time ago but I just joined.
  • luvmymagggieluvmymagggie Member Posts: 3
    Look at inside of driver side door. You will see a sticker which indicates MDH (month / day/ hour) of build. All Magnums were built in Canada.
  • luvmymagggieluvmymagggie Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my my Magnum with 12 K miles on it. Absolutely stunning and fabulous car.

However, I hear a very slight and non-patterned irregular "tapping," or something like an exhaust hanger lightly wiggling against a hard surface coming from front end under hood.

Maybe a likage spring contracting / expanding when hot ?

Happens just after warm-up. Hear it when driving off from stop. Not really bad at all. I'm just a noise freak, I guess.

I thought the following culprits: heat riser (is there one on this car?) belt tensioner systems, valve train (please no).

However, just recently strted putting higher octane gas. Sound seems to be diminishing. Was wondering if deiseling was happening. I AM NOT A LEAD FOOT SO HAVE NOT AND DO NOT WISH TO HOT ROD IT TO EXPLORE FURTHER.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reluctnt to take and leave with dealer. I want to investigate first and try to share what I might learn of this noise with them.

Thanks
    I believe that the Hemis have knock sensors, which, if operating correctly, would prevent knocking with any octane gasoline.

I do not know if the V-6s have this feature also.
    Somewhere I read that a Dodge Magnum has power ABS with emergency brake assistance. :surprise:

Has anyone heard of this and exactly what does this mean? :confuse:
    From Wikipedia:

Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) is a safety system in vehicles designed to ensure maximum braking power is used in an Emergency stop situation. By interpreting the speed and pressure at which the brake pedal is pushed, the system detects if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop, and if the brake pedal is not fully applied, the system overrides and fully applies the brakes until the Anti-lock braking system (ABS) takes over to stop the wheels locking up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist
    I've already gotten two speeding tickets in my '05 Magnum R/T AWD for cruising at 85mph or more on I-90 and I-95, so I am not testing it's acceleration at Autobahn speeds anymore. The car has blistering acceleration for a big, heavy wagon, up through 80mph. If it is slow in responding when you nail the gas pedal, try holding the stick shift to the left as you accelerate. This is supposed to force an earlier downshift. I've heard that the transmission is an earlier generation Mercedes E Class model and is adaptive. Theoretically it slowly learns to conform to your normal driving style.
    Wow! Pre-programmed panic stops!

LOOK OUT FROM BEHIND!

(Does it make you a little uncomfortable that the car is reading your mind?)
    No! If you're making a panic stop you want all the help you can get.

Don't forget, the ABS electronics will prevent your panic stop from turning into a skid...
  • gregheimangregheiman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with 68,000 miles. I am noticing a loud vibration noise starting at around 30 mph. Around 65-70 mph it continues as long as I am accelerating. Once I let off the gas the vibration noise silences. And returns as I accelerate. I just got new tires and they checked the front end and found no problems with alignment. Any suggestions.

Thanks
    Greg
    I have no assistance to offer, except perhaps that you should specify which engine yours has, and especially if it has AWD.

Also, did the vibration begin suddenly, or did it slowly worsen over time? If so, when did you first notice it?

Yes, it wouldn't be tires if it only occurred with the throttle on. Sounds like some out-of-balance condition with the engine.

Or could it be something as simple as that the engine is misfiring for some reason?
    Does anyone have a source for how many Magnums (Chargers, 300Cs) come equipped with the Hemi and how many have the V-6's?

(I have noticed that most of these cars that I have spotted do NOT have the Hemi badge. I had assumed that a substantial proportion of them had the Hemi, but apparently they are in the minority).
    I read somewhere on the web that the Hemis are due for extinction (at least in the passenger cars) due to an inability to increase efficiency and reduce emissions with the design.

Thanks a lot to the oil companies and the EPA (I'm glad I got mine; I only put on a few thousand miles a year, so if it doesn't get totaled or stolen, I'll have it for the rest of my life)! This is a good reason why some might want to restrict theirs to limited usage, with some time spent in storage.

I am afraid that the Hemi won't come this way again.
    Hey Jacklionel, I heard that the Hemi was on its way out, too, but for a different reason. I was told that it had to do with the Chrysler - Diamler break up.

I was told that a lot of the features for the Hemi came from the Mercedes part of the Chrysler Diamler merger. When they parted ways, dissolved their merger, Diamler/Mercedes took the patent part of their Hemi engines with them, so now Chrysler would have to buy it from Diamler if they wanted to continue to making the Hemi engines. If you ever get the chance, look under the hood of an Mercedes station wagon or their larger models and notice the similarity. Also, look at the front grills of the Magnum, the Chrysler 300 and then Mercedes full size and its station wagons, and notice the similarities there too.

This information was shared with me when I purchased my 2005 Dodge Magnum from a dealer that sold used Mercedes. I had no reason to not believe him.
    I know that much of the Magnum design is based closely on the E-Mercedes: the suspension, transmission, etc. (judging by the seats and how incredibly comfortable they are, I think that they are Mercedes clones also). Long after I bought mine, another salesman told me that I had bought a what was essentially a Mercedes.

But I thought that the one truly American thing about the car was the Hemi engine (even thought they are built in Salitillo, Mexico - American/Mexican?).

But you may well be right; I was just repeating something I read on the web.

By the way, you do know that the modern "hemi" is not a pure hemi design like the one of old, right? In order to accomodate the dual plugs, the combustion chamber is not a true hemispherical shape, at least not as much as the 50s-60s version.
  • realtc214realtc214 Member Posts: 1
    I too was told by a mechanic at a station that I take my Intrepid R/T to, that the Magnum is based on the E Mercedes and the transmission is the Mercedes 4-matic. I have not driven a Mercendes in over 15 years, but I let a friend drive mine ('06 Magnum R/T AWD) and he said it felt very much like the Mercedes he's owned and others that were recent models that he's driven.
    I suscribe to Consumer Reports and have seldom if ever seen a Mercedes recommended as a good buy due to the bad history of things breaking down in them. That is what scares me about the Magnum. Other that that, I love the way it rides and handles and the power and comfort. Now, if it can be as dependable as my Intrepid has been at 85,000 miles.
    I too have been told that the Magnum R/T AWD has many earlier generation E-Class components. Either way my 2005 model (with 60,000 miles) performs extremely well in all weather and road conditions. It's a real hoot to drive. I dueled a Subaru WRX the other day and was able to pretty much hang with him all the way from zero to 90 mph (we had to stop at the next light). A lot of fun. He was very surprised.
    So no one has any idea about how many of these cars came equipped with a Hemi, as opposed to a V-6?
    For the last few months I have an intermitant nav error where it dings and states it can't read disc. I eject and put back in and for a few days it works. The dealership recommends buying a new disc and seeing if that fixes the problem ...$311 is too much ... Any thoughts?
    Cancellation
    On November 1, 2007, Chrysler announced that, as part of its restructuring plans, the Dodge Magnum would be one of four models discontinued after the 2008 model year. The production ended in late March, 2008. [4]
    Yes, I think a lot of people are surprised at the quickness of the Magnum RT Hemi. I have surprised a lot of "hot rodder" out there and my Magnum is strictly stock. So yes, I agree, they are fun :) to drive and very very quick ;) .
  • rehrauer99rehrauer99 Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2006 AWD Magnum and my nav system recently started with the same problem. The disc only costs $199 at Dodge dealerships. I'm kind of leary about buying just a disc because I actually think it's the laser. The total costs for a new nav system is around $1200. I was hoping it would last until I trade in for a new Hemi-Challenger.
    My Magnum is also a 2006 AWD. I spoke to Navteq tech support and the best they can recommend is to have the dealership put in a new disk and see if it fixes the problem. I am in the process of getting a new challenger (black) but need to sell my Magnum first.
  • shogunsamashogunsama Member Posts: 3
    Dodge's navagation systems are messed up. On my wife's 2005 Magnum (first one on the Gulf Coast), after 2 years I ordered the new Disk, per owner's manual directions ($200), and it couldn't find the address either that the old disk couldn't find. Sent it back. Then the nav system wouldn't read the old disk. The dealer couldn't fix it and replaced the unit.

On my brand new 2009 Dodge Ram: The Navigator wouldn't work after 3 weeks. I am still waiting on the replacement unit. When it went it took out the vehicle information system under the speedometer, so none of that works either, and I have alarms chiming now for the past 2 weeks, having no idea what they are alarming about. The Nav unit looks and works the same as the one in my wife's Magnum, and I believe it is the same piece of crap as the one in her Magnum.

What a piece of crap they have stuck in the dash!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's enough to make a guy go Chevy next time.
  • gilli2usgilli2us Member Posts: 2
    I forgot about this posting, and would like to follow up on it... A few months after I posted this, my tranny went out on the way to work. This car started tearing up on me @ 600 miles, and never stopped. When DaimlerChrysler bought it back from me, it had 30,000 miles on it, and was still doing what it did from day 1. Rebuilt tranny, replaced tranny, rebuilt transfer case, replaced anti-swaybar bushings (shot at 16,000miles), the list goes on and on. The only thing I see when a Magnum drives by, is a big pile of S}{1T.