Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How to properly break-in your new engine

13»

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    rob35cts,
    I will remember to stay away from your engines.
    Glad to hear that. If it makes you happy, then more power to you.
    You know nothing about me or who I am and I don't know you from Adam. If you don't like what I say, don't read it.
    Personally, I could care less. Every person who builds engines have their own set of rules.
    Wrong or right, they are their rules, not yours.
    I'm not going to argue with you here about how I chose or chose not to do business, if you don't like it, don't do business with me, I could care less. In fact with your attitude, I would just as soon you didn't do business with me.
    I don't build engines to make money, so if folks don't like my rules, then they can go somewhere else. I have that luxury. :)
    It is one of those opinion arguments that anyone can make. If you prefer to use synthetic then by all means, use it.
    When you have half the mechanics who say you may not want to use it until 5,000 miles, some say 3,000 and the other half that say it isn't a problem, make up your own mind.

To tell me that something I choose to do is ridiculous [check the spelling] is an insult to me, which I find offensive.

No one said that synthetics didn't meet the standards, just that in my opinion and experience, motors with synthetic install early on had problems getting the rings to seat, because the synthetics does its job too well in that case.
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    Cadillac and Chevrolet use Mobil 1 from the get go as a marketing tool. They also have infinitely deep pockets compared to an independent shop owner.

All three (Cad, Chevy and shop owner) have to warranty their work. All three have the right, by Federal law, to set their own parameters for maintenance on a component that they warrantee.

0patience is certainly right about synthetics not allowing an engine to properly break in. Cad and Chevy take the chance because Mobil 1 actually sells cars for them.

Mobil 1 doesn't do a thing to support a shop owner.
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    According to Mobil oil you can replace engine oil at any time with synthetic. They claim it is factory fill for Volvo, Porsche, VIPER, Corvette, Mercedes Benz. I changed my brand new lil pick-up
    at 1000 miles with Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSYN. Dipstick was full prior to change. Already 1700 miles later, dipstick still full. This indicates to me the rings have properly set.

If you recently re-built your engine, ie. Bore out cylinders, there may be cross hatch hone marks. I would break in with DINO oil until the rings seat. Say approx. 1500 miles. That means uneven driving, heavy stop and go. Otherwise you may end up with an oil burner. Been there, done that.

Regards to all

Andy
    Babyboomer hotrodder
    circa early 60's muscle car era.
This discussion has been closed.