Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bchristytnbchristytn Member Posts: 1
    I was just quoted 21,900 for the new RSX with leather, automatic...(not S-type) I have done no negotiations yet., so tell me how does this price sound as a starting place to negotiate down....and what is a good price for this car. I am located in Philadelphia/NJ area....What do you think.
  • ctk4949ctk4949 Member Posts: 10
    My Bro just got a 2006 Acura RSX Black on Black Auto with Leather for $23,500 TTL, my mom also got a 2005 Acura TSX Meteor Silver without navi for $27,600 TTL...what you guys think??
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing an Acura RSX. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • bedibedi Member Posts: 6
    Acura currently has an incentive for leasing a 2005 RSX Manual w. cloth for $199/mo ...
    has anyone analyzed the value of this offer, if you have please share you considerations.
    Cheers,
    b'
    Hi bedi. Acura's current lease program on the 2005 RSX is a pretty good deal. Not only are the residual values for Acuras usually fairly strong, but it is using a special lease money factor of .00040 to calculate the interest portion of this car's payment. This is equivalent to an interest rate of slightly under one percent. If you decide that you want this car, make sure to negotiate its selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. The selling prices that are used to arrive at manufacturers' advertised lease payments can usually be beaten by consumers who shop around. Acura's current lease program for the RSX is only scheduled to run through September 6th. I have not seen what its new September program will be like, but should be able to give you an idea if you want to check back with me at the end of the week.

Car_man
    Host
    Greeting Car_Man,

Interest rate slightly under one percent - good - very good.

Negotiate the selling price - OK.
    However, I have found only one car.
    When the monthly rate is set, $199/mo,
    the capitalized cost is given as 18,201, and
    the purchase at lease end is 11,4664.75 -
    what is their relationship to the selling price -
    are any of them fixed by the selling price?

Sept 6th is last day of the current offer.

Cheers,
    b'
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The capititalized cost is the selling price.. Or, more accurately, it is the selling price, plus any additional costs not paid upfront, minus any downpayment. That is the number that is negotiable, and that will affect your payment.

The residual is a percentage of the MSRP, and is fixed by the leasing financial institution. It only varies by term and mileage of the lease.

The monthly rate is never "set". That is just their advertised deal.. It will vary according to the selling price that you negotiate. The lower the selling price you negotiate, the lower the payment.

Hope that helps,
    kyfdx
    Host--Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,
    Thank you, that's good info.
    Please map it to the following figures given in the offer:
    199/mo for 36 mos.
    2,493 total due at lease signing
    1,499 capitalized cost reduction
    20,845 INCLUDES DEST. MSRP
    18201.47 actual net capitalized cost
    7,164 total monthly payment -36 mos
    11,464.75 purchase at least end

Cheers,
    b'
    Hey bedi. I hate to say this, but it looks as though you have to renegotiate your deal if you didn't get your car yet because Acura's September program is completely different than its August program. Acura replaced the special lease money factor that it was providing on the 2005 RSX with $500 dealer cash. If you want to lease this car through AHFC in September you will have to use its standard lease program and hopefully negotiate a cap cost that is $500 lower. It did introduce lease support on the 2006 RSX. Let me know if you want informaiton on this new program.

Car_man
    Host
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    i leased my 2005 acura rxs back in may. i put exactly 2500 down and i am paying $256/month but i have leather and automatic. my lease is 12k per year for 3 years. at the end of the lease i can buy it for 12 something. i live in the tampa area. i just wanted to let everyone know about my deal, i think i got a good one. the original cost was like 246/month but it was about 10$ to add me to the lease (its in my grandmothers name) and i thought that was a good idea to get me some credit. its a real good car so far.
  • bray1bray1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

I wanted to lease a 2005, but couldn't find any before Sept 6th (or since then for that matter). So I'm looking into a 2006 lease now. One quote I got was:

MSRP $20,895
    Cap $19,900
    Lease factor .00250
    Residual 58%

36/12k
    Per Month $302.17
    Acq. fee $595
    Reg & tags $179 ( 3yr )
    De.tax $547
    Due at signing $1623.17

So about $300/month with $1623 due at signing. Does this seem about right? Another dealer gave me about the same price. Anyone know if there's supposed to be some sort of lease deal for the 06 in the next couple of months? Thanks.
  • bray1bray1 Member Posts: 2
    Scratch that, I just saw the lease deal on acura.com for an 06 manual/cloth (what I was looking for):

$199/mo for 42 months
    $2500 due at signing

That's a pretty good savings! Glad I didn't jump the gun on the other lease.
    Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your RSX lease with everyone, brandi20.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bray1. If I recall correctly, Acura's advertised lease on the 2006 RSX is based upon a selling price that is around $1,000 over dealer invoice. I suspect that if you shop around you will be able to get one for less than that, which would lower your car's lease payment a little bit. Also, Acura's advertised lease on this car assumes that you are making a $1,499 capitalized cost reduction. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your RSX would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $1,500 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. Your car's lease payment will be a little higher with no money down though.

Car_man
    Host
  • boogiellwoogieboogiellwoogie Member Posts: 1
    hi everybody. First i want to say that this discussion has been very insightful. Thanks!

i really want to buy an rsx type-s. I am planning on buying late december/early january. Anybody know of a good acura dealership in the philadelphia/nj area where I could get it extremely close to invoice?
    THANKS!
  • crawlejgcrawlejg Member Posts: 1
    Paid $22,000 with protection package in Indianapolis (Hubler Acura). Couldn't be happier.
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    I just signed to lease above car. It's a great deal, because Acura is offering a great lease rate on the above car right now (advertised as $199/mo with $1499 down). I put 0 down, but $1400 up-front costs, which includes 1st payment. The payments, with tax included in MASS are only $250/month. I can choose to buy it at end of 42-month lease for only $11, 500!

I'm excited, but did I really get a good deal???
  • robinsfrobinsf Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I just lost my beloved Celica GTS (stop sign runner, uninsured, naturally!), and have a big mortgage, so thought I'd have to settle for a downgrade to a Civic. When I realized I could get an Acura RSX for not much more, the pain was a lot less!

I asked for bids in the SF Bay Area on a 2005 RSX with leather and they've all come back with offers for 2006, in the range of 22K. When you start negotiations on the web, will they come down once you show up for a test drive? I'm asking for an OTD price in my replies, but no responses to that yet. I was figuring they'd be more flexible on 2005 pricing, so don't know if the 2006 replies mean that inventory is low, or they're just trying to upsell me.

Any recommendation/warnings about dealerships in the Bay Area?
    Robin
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    Hmm... I got my 05 RSX Type S at Mike Harvey in Burlingame, which a few people say is a rip-off dealership for $24+k + tax and licensing. Some I heard got their RSX Type S in Acura of Pleasanton and in Autowest Acura of Stevens Creek in Santa Clara. I do have to warn you not to go to Acura of Serramonte. I've been hearing bad reviews about this dealership and my friend had a very bad experience with them as well.

About Mike Harvey Acura, I don't believe I got ripped off. Dealerships also need to make money and it's just natural for them to add $500 to a $1000 to the car's MSRP. I'm happy with my RSX Type S with no problems like most people complain about. This makes me think that I got a better deal compared to other people who payed up to $2000 less but have to make so many trips back to the dealership because of problems. I test drove the Nighthawk Black and I couldn't resist taking the car since I liked it so much and that it was the last 05 RSX Type S that they have during that period (but more were on scheduled to come a week later), it was last August.

I'm not so sure about Acura of Pleasanton, but I've read one posting on Yahoo autos forum about bad service. This person had a problem with his RSX's transmission and the dealer just kept on denying the problem. I just don't like the sound of dealerships like that.

My friend got his at Autowest Acura of Stevens Creek. He said they have a lot in stock when he got his. He received good service and never had any problems with his car as well.

I still believe buying a car is also like gambling. You wouldn't know if you're about to get a lemon or not. Just test drive it, get the feel of it, and pay close attention to those sales people because they can easily rip you off. You can tell from the beginning if they will help or not in case the car has a problem. Just make sure you won't get new car that's over a 100 miles. It's still new but I'd still worry about it.

I don't expect you to go to these dealerships I suggested. I still suggest that you make some research on the dealerships that you might plan to visit. Like I said, it's a gamble. :)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I just went through the web process you mentioned when I purchased an '05 Civic. Most dealers will come down a few hundred from their initial offer, but that's about it. They realize that a typical internet shopper has already researched prices. The prices they gave me included any and all fees for an OTD price.
    If you have a trade, make sure you research that also over in "Real world trade in values". And get pre-qualified for financing at your local bank before going to the dealer.
    Good luck.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " Dealerships also need to make money and it's just natural for them to add $500 to a $1000 to the car's MSRP. I'm happy with my RSX Type S with no problems like most people complain about. This makes me think that I got a better deal compared to other people who payed up to $2000 less but have to make so many trips back to the dealership because of problems."

The price you pay for a vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with problems. And if you paid $2K more than what others have posted, then you should change your tactics.
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    I don't have to. I got mine just a few hundred $ more added to MSRP. I can live with that.
    The 2006's have been out for over a month, and I don't believe there are any new 05's left anywhere.

Unless you want a Type S, the inventory on the 06's is low right now, at least in my area (Massachusetts). The TMV here is sticker price for the 06 Acura RSX's, but there is a special leasing deal right now.
  • goldsgolds Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I am currently shopping for an 2006 acura rsx/manual/leather interior and think that a quote i got still has a lot of room for negotiation. I know that the invoice is 19,596. I got offered the same special of $199/42 mo @12K mi per year. So that the Price w/leather: $21,033

At signing would be:
    Down: $1400
    1st month: $220 + tax
    Security Deposit: $225
    Bank Fee: $595 + tax
    Plates/Reg: $265 (is this # negotiable ?)

Total Down: $2899.00

This seems like a lot to put down at signing and still not a very fair negotiated sale price. I would like to negotiate the sale price at $20,096 (which is 500 over invoice) and put less $$ down. Does this seem like a reasonable deal?

Thanks!
    golds
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    My experience has been that they are fairly rigid once they have quoted you an internet price. They will sometimes give you a bit more for your trade than they otherwise would to seal the deal, but won't move on the price they are asking for the new car.

I had a good experience with Marin Acura when I got mine, which is almost two years ago now. They are a decent bunch of people, no rudeness, no sneaky tactics, which these days is the best you can expect from dealerships, it seems.

My sister leased her RSX from Concord Acura, and they were awful - bait and switch, sending no less than two different salespeople and two F&I guys into the negotiations, misleading her about leasing fees, and then putting her down when she asked them to clarify. Don't go there!

Oh, and if you get a quote on a 2006 when you were asking about a 2005, just reply to the e-mail and say thanks, but can you quote me on a 2005 model? They will tell you if they have any left. I think the above poster is correct, though, that most of the '05s are gone. It's going to be hard to get a lot off sticker right now on a 2006, as they have only been around for about a month (even if they really didn't change anything for the '06). The $22K you are being quoted sounds like MSRP for a base model with leather. Don't pay MSRP, this is an older model now and there are lots of nice cars in this price range. Of course, if you can manage to wait until winter, the deals always get much better then, as it is a slow period for car sales.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Hello golds. I agree that you should not make any sort of capitalized cost reduction when leasing. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your RSX would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $1,400 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. You are still going to have to pay your car's first month's payment, security deposit, and acquisition fee at lease signing though. You can have the security deposit waived for a slight increase in the money factor that is used to calculate your car's lease payment if you want. You also can have the acquisition fee added into your car's capitalized cost and finance it over the length of your lease instead of paying it at signing if you choose to.

I am familiar with Acura's current advertised lease on the 2006 RSX. I believe that it assumes that the dealer is providing a $750 discount on the car's selling price. This still leaves the dealer with around a $1,200 spread between its invoice and selling price. As long as you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, you should not have too much trouble negotiating at least another $500 off of this car's selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    I just leased an 06 RSX, base-manual-cloth, for the advertised lease deal. The deal itself bulit in a $750 discount off sticker, according to the Host on the Acura RSX forum, plus, I'm getting a TMV of MSRP on Edmund's for the 06's right now in my area. So, I just took it as is, and was excited to do so!

It seems like such an inexpensive car for the quality it is, I had no problem with it and didnt want to haggle to get $500 or so less. I paid 0 down on the cap, which made the payments 239/mo (250 w/tax), with $1400 up-front costs. The up front costs included the 1st payment and a $275 refundable security deposit, so it was really less than $900 down and $250 a month for this car - that's an awesome deal!
  • dc10driverdc10driver Member Posts: 15
    Ft. Larderdale area. Just paid $400 over invoice. 06' Jade Green Metallic Base Model 5AT (wife) w/leather. Wheel locks & mud flaps. Was quoted $200 over, but when I got there the manager insisted on $400. Sales guy seemed new and eager and I knew it was the best deal in the area. Financing was a little higher than I expected. 60 mo.'s @ around 5.5%.
  • coa1coa1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading all your feedback and opinions on the different dealerships in the Bay Area and am curious to know if you work for Acura .
  • nirenniren Member Posts: 2
    Hello

I am very much interested in advertised lease deal on Acura RSX manual transmission. My FICO score is down to 710 because I have relatively high balances on my credit card ( not maxed out ). I have paid off some of that last month but the credit report and score still does not reflect any change. Do you guys think with a score of 710, I would be approved for this lease deal ? If I wait to improve my credit score, I might not get this deal at all. Your advise appriciated.

Thanks,
    Niren
  • justin6justin6 Member Posts: 1
    I test-drove one today and made my mind. 2006 RSX Automatic w/ Leather. The gray one. They said they can offer little above 24K(out-the-door price), but I sensed some more room to push. I'm living in California, and I got plenty of other ACURA dealers. So I guess it's time to make a move..
    Where would you guys start the negotiation? I was thinking about 23K, but since it's my first time buying a car, would that be a good idea? What number should I think as a target price?
    One more question: do the dealers talk about the figures over the phone? Do I have to shop around to get desirable deal?

Should the price go down if I wait until December?
  • khanmotskhanmots Member Posts: 1
    I wound up signing the paperwork today after 2-3 months of trying to get my price (was aiming for invoice + 500ish). Settled for 23083 + TTL which worked out to a tad over 24750 out the door. This was in the Dallas Fort Worth area with no trade in and outside financing.

It really surprised me that they were willing to come this close to my target, I was expecting to have to wait a few more months before they'd be willing to sell in this range. Glad I made the hopeless phone call ;)

Hope y'all can put this knowledge to good use. :)
  • michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    There is currently a deal going on for Acura RSX lease for 199/month for 42 month.

According to my calculation, Money factor is 0.0003339 and Residual percentage is 55. However, my dealer quoted Money Factor as 0.00093. that sounded odd to me.

can someone verify this?

Thanks.
  • mrtommyboy2000mrtommyboy2000 Member Posts: 9
    2006 Type-S
    All prices in Canadian dollars.

Listed MSRP $33,400
    Negotiated to $32,064

Unless things are different in the states, you should never pay MSRP or higher! I bought the dealers invoice price (what the dealer pays for the car) for $49.00 (There are lots of US and now 2 Canadian web sites that offer this.), calculated the dealers profit @ MSRP (9.5%), calculated an offer price that gave the dealer 4% and went in with that offer. The dealer took it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You can't calculate lease numbers without knowing the selling price.. Most of the advertised deals don't disclose this..

But, if you want to know the actual numbers... ask here:

Acura RSX: Lease Questions

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• claudia4claudia4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi mrtommyboy2000,

I'm in Canada and interested in the RSX Premium. Can you tell me more about the 2 Canadian web sites you mentioned? I got a quote from two dealers but I have no clue if I should try to go lower.

Thanks
    Claudia
    Hello Niren. A credit score of 710 is still pretty good, but I am not sure if it is good enough to qualify for Honda Finance's "Super Preferred" credit tier. While Acura's current advertised lease on the 2006 RSX is only scheduled to run through October 31st, I don't think that you are risking much by waiting to lease one. Acura always provides some sort of lease support on the RSX. There is no way to predict exactly what automakers will do with their future lease programs, but if I had to bet I would say that Acura's lease program on the '06 RSX in a few months will be at least as attractive as the one it is running right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Great Canadian sites:

1. Dealer invoice and dealer incentives http://www.carcostcanada.com

2. What profit is fair for the dealer to make http://www.carbuyingtips.com/canada.htm or www.roadcompanion.ca

3. How much your trade in is worth. If you have a trade in use www.autotrader.ca and get the Low, Median and High price. Determine a fair median by finding matches in millage and trim lines. Also use Black Book to get the dealer trade in price. http://www.usedcarsontario.com/blackbook.php or http://www.canadianblackbook.com/prv/auth.cfm?token=AB04DC39ZKL01
    I put this all together in a speadsheet that included my offer at 1% lower than the recommeded offer from www.roadcompanion.ca. My speadsheet showed the dealer invoice and my offer and the profit the dealer would make. I gave it to the salesperson when I went on my test drive. I told her to work the numbers and have an offer for me when I came back. Tell them to work the numbers assuming no financing and no trade in.

When I came back the Sales Manager met me and said he'd meet my number + $64.00. Yup, that's right. $64 more than my first offer.

He said, no point wasting your time by having the sales person be the middle man since I had all the numbers.) He walked me through the offer. (You should only be negotiating the MSRP. The top number before add-on's etc.). We agreed on the base price, then we added some accessories, then I provided my trade in print out of the autotrader prices and Black Book, they inspected my trade in and I got my trade in price.

We then discusses leasing off the new base price less trade in plus taxes which was now lower than the posted monthly lease. I passed on the financing though. RBC Buy-Back Loan gives a much higher residual value that Acura does and that makes a big difference on total interest paid over the term and lowers the monthly payments. Check out https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:Q1qmgo71A8YAAIlSQQA/cgi-bin/personalloans/carloans/lh3.pl- ?BBVSOCL=True
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    No, I don't work for Acura. And I have only had personal experience of two - the one where I bought my car and the one where I helped my sister lease hers. So I do not claim to be an expert.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I was quoted $207/month for RSX with leather, with 1499 down and 225 security deposit.

is this a good deal? I was hoping to shoot for 193/month
    Thanks for the links. I’m definitely going to invest in the dealer invoice.

I wasn’t even aware that it’s possible to get financing for a lease from another source.

I’m not doing a trade-in though, this is my first car. I chose to buy and I can’t decide if investing in the Acura Plus (7 year warranty) for 1500$ extra is worth it.

I’m glad I came across your post and I love your tactic. I’ll try making a spreadsheet and taking a copy of the invoice along. I hope my results are as good as yours.

Thanks for the help
    Claudia
    BTW, in Canada, Leases have to state the interest rate, not the money factor like in the US. Remember though that a lease with a lower interest rate may not be as good as a lease or buy-back loan with a higher interest rate if the residual value of the latter is higher. In the case of the 2006 Type-S in Toronto, third party residual rates from at least RBC is higher than the dealership plan.
  • 06rsxtypes06rsxtypes Member Posts: 6
    I decided to jump on the October '05 lease special. Here's the deal on the 2006 RSX Type-S:

15k/year (I've been averaging 14,200 miles per year for the last 3 years)
    $3193 down (including all fees and taxes)
    $265/month

I sold my 97 Nissan 200sx SE-R for $2500 cash and using that for the down payment. Because I'm on a limited budget, I wanted to keep the monthly payments down; my dad is spotting me the remaining down payment.

This deal was better than the Mazda3, Subaru WRX, and the Scion tC.
    You can buy the extended warranty up to three years after you buy the car. The price should only change by the rate of inflation.

I haven't checked in Canada but in the US you can buy an extended warranty from a third party instead of the dealer. This is recommended according to Consumers Reports and other.

I passed on the dealer ext. war. Will wait a couple of years and re-assess.

BTW, if you want my speadsheet, update your profile with an email address and I'll send it to you.
    Negotiated down to 199/month for RSX with leather, manual, with 1499 down and 225 sec. deposit.

I took the deal and i'm happy with it.
    Thanks, I updated my profile.

According to this link http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm there is only one Canadian third party warranty company. If I find others I will let you know.

BTW, did you look into the Mitsubishi Eclipse before deciding on the RSX?
    Acura RSX is "Recommended" by Consumers Reports. Mitsubishi Eclipse is not - poor road feel and the 3.8 V6 is noisy and overwhelmes the front tires while trying to put the power down to the ground. Could switch tires. Residual value after 4 years is $3000 less than the RSX
    I couldn't see your email address in your profile so can't send you the spreedsheet. My email is available so send me a private or change your profile so I can see yours.
    The Oct 31st, lease offer has ended and there is lowered interest rates for purchase for the next day of two .
    What is the prognosis for offers for purchase and leasing for Nov 05?
    Hi michael_lee76. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.